AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2021-06-19, 20:24   Link #1
AnimeFan188

Windows 11

Windows 11 leak reveals new UI, Start menu, and more

"Microsoft’s upcoming Windows 11 operating system has leaked online today. After
screenshots were first published at Chinese site Baidu, the entire Windows 11 OS has
appeared online, complete with a new user interface, Start menu, and lots more.

The new Windows 11 user interface and Start menu look very similar to what was originally
found in Windows 10X. Microsoft had been simplifying Windows for dual-screen devices, before
canceling this project in favor of Windows 11. Visually, the biggest changes you’ll notice can be
found along the taskbar. Microsoft has centered the app icons here, cleaned up the tray area,
and included a new Start button and menu.

This updated Start menu is a simplified version of what currently exists in Windows 10, without
Live Tiles. It includes pinned apps, recent files, and the ability to quickly shut down or restart
Windows 11 devices. It’s really a lot more simplified than what exists in Windows 10 today.

If you don’t want the app icons and Start menu centered, there’s an option to move them all
back to the left-hand side. Coupled with the dark mode that’s also available, and Windows 11
starts to look like a more refined version of Windows 10 than something dramatically new."

See:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/15/2...ots-start-menu
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-23, 00:35   Link #2
Strahan

What happened to Windows 10 being the "last version of Windows" and just building on it? Guess that got put to the wayside, heh.

Quote:
You may have noticed a new icon in the Windows 11 taskbar, and it’s labeled Widgets in the operating system. Rumors have suggested Microsoft is bringing back Windows Widgets, and this early version appears to include some.

As this is clearly a very early version of Windows 11, the widgets aren’t loading fully in the OS, but they’re designed to slide out and provide quick access to news, weather, and other web content.
What is their fascination with that stuff? Active Desktop, live tiles, etc. I wonder how many people actually use them? I find them annoying, personally.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-23, 06:35   Link #3
EroKing

Any new OS will be filled with bugs, best to wait at least a year after its initial launch till they smoothen things out, to try it out. Windows 10 is good enough for now.
Old 2022-01-24, 18:27   Link #4
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

There's also the fact that machines without TPM 2.0 won't be able to utilise Windows 11. This limits a lot of the older hardware to Windows 10.
Old 2022-01-24, 20:33   Link #5
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

*Popup asks if I want to Upgrade to Windows 11*

*Me mashing No as fast as I can*

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-25, 05:19   Link #6
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
There's also the fact that machines without TPM 2.0 won't be able to utilise Windows 11. This limits a lot of the older hardware to Windows 10.
Yup, mine doesn't qualify for it, either, so W10 will stay on it for a lot longer.

Though...technically it should be possible to burn the bootable W11 image on a flash drive or DVD and install it on an upgrade-unqualified PC on boot, but, as expected, you'll be missing on a lot of W11 features (especially security-related) and you'll have little to no Windows Update support for hardware that MS has written off as too old.

Now, if PC parts weren't so god***n expensive nowadays I could have gone ahead with a total upgrade, but I am afraid it'll cost me twice to twice and half times more than what I paid for my previous custom rig.

For now W10 does the job flawlessly. Only when regular software (and I suspect games will be the first to do this) starts to roll out with the "requires W11" caution will I have to bite the bullet and scrounge up the money for a top-down new rig.
Old 2022-01-25, 07:16   Link #7
EroKing

Current market price of processors are insane and have been for months now if I had to compare it to my over 3 year old rig with Ryzen 3 2200G
Old 2022-01-25, 12:22   Link #8
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Yup, mine doesn't qualify for it, either, so W10 will stay on it for a lot longer.

Though...technically it should be possible to burn the bootable W11 image on a flash drive or DVD and install it on an upgrade-unqualified PC on boot, but, as expected, you'll be missing on a lot of W11 features (especially security-related) and you'll have little to no Windows Update support for hardware that MS has written off as too old.

Now, if PC parts weren't so god***n expensive nowadays I could have gone ahead with a total upgrade, but I am afraid it'll cost me twice to twice and half times more than what I paid for my previous custom rig.

For now W10 does the job flawlessly. Only when regular software (and I suspect games will be the first to do this) starts to roll out with the "requires W11" caution will I have to bite the bullet and scrounge up the money for a top-down new rig.
There's a similar problem for me: I have the funds to build a new PC, but the availability of parts is a concern in my area. The main issue for me is hardware: things are getting very old, and the machine is held together by duct tape and spirit at this point. I can probably get another year out of it at most, but on the flipside, Windows 10 remains very usable for me, so it's a matter of holding on until I can actually get a new build going.
Old 2022-01-28, 03:32   Link #9
X207
Gamyūsa

my laptop is likely compatible with W11 but im going to hold out until W10 ends support or another year of debugging.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-18, 18:39   Link #10
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

I would love to build a new PC. But from what I read w11 is a joke. I like 10 but it doesn't pay well with the i7-12700k. It is the e cores.
Old 2022-02-19, 14:18   Link #11
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Honestly I really like Windows 11 so far and its been ridiculously stable on two Ryzen systems I run it on. I'm running 5700G on one though because I'm not even trying to get a discrete GPU in this market.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-20, 00:23   Link #12
AnimeFan188

Report: Microsoft will return to releasing new Windows versions once every 3 years

"Microsoft is planning yet another big change to the way it updates Windows, according to a report from Windows Central. Rather than updating a single version of Windows for many years as it did with Windows 10, Microsoft plans to return to a schedule where it releases a new major version of Windows roughly once every three years, putting a hypothetical "Windows 12" on track for release at some point in the fall of 2024."

See:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022...every-3-years/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-03, 21:01   Link #13
tanamonn

What do you think of these prices for Windows 11? It's terrible.
tanamonn is offline   Reply With Quote