AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index LN - New Testament Volume 15 Rating
Perfect 10 17 30.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 29.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 20.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 10.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.64%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.82%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.64%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-04-10, 22:36   Link #41
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Maybe I'm starting to lose interest in that kind of character development. I mean the "bringing their entire life and all their choices into question" part. A lot of stories nowadays that include them mostly just depresses me, especially if heavy amounts of suffering is involved.
*shrugs*

Pretty much any character development worth reading involves something like that at some level, though.

Quote:
Just look at Re:Zero. The premise alone makes me a bit gloomy.
Subaru does go through some unspeakable stuff, but that makes his successes that much more meaningful.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 22:46   Link #42
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Pretty much any character development worth reading involves something like that at some level, though.
I've stopped caring about missing out on the so-called "must reads". Watching anime is entertainment, and entertainment for me is not being fucking depressed at the shit I watch.

Quote:
Subaru does go through some unspeakable stuff, but that makes his successes that much more meaningful.
Unless he dies again. And again. And again. And again, where it comes to a point where instead of anticipating his next good step forward, you begin to ask if he's gonna die the next time he makes a move.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-10, 23:44   Link #43
Tiken
Supreme Coconut Edgelord

Well, I'm not that averse to characters suffering. But when and or if it does happen, I would like for it to lead to them emerging from it as a stronger person in the end. That is something I absolutely agree with.

As for characters either dying or coming just threads length away from getting sliced in half, hell yes I say! This series needs more violence in my opinion. But as for characters themselves getting offed, well...I'm a little bit more picky on what I'd accept.

If Hamazura or Mugino were to die for some cause, or say Gunha does something insane and ends up destroying himself, I'd be okay with something like that happening in the right context. Maybe even Masaki if they played it out like a tragedy kind of thing.

But if somebody like Mikoto, Aisa, Kuroko, Pierce, or Komoe were to die, then I would wisely begin to question Kamachi's immediate future as an author. There are just some characters deaths in the series that would just outright ruin practically everything that has ever happened if they were carried out at this point.

The only comparison I can think of to this type of thing happening (I don't know how many of you watch Game of Thrones) is Jon Snow's supposed death.

I know people personally that have sworn off the entire series after seeing that happen.

They have completely stopped associating themselves with the show entirely just because a certain character's death was just the last straw in their book.

I've tried talking to them out of it since I used to watch it with them, but they won't listen anymore. They don't care what happens, the show is forever death to them because of that.

and thats exactly what will happen if somebody like Mikoto ends up kicking the bucket so far into the series.
Tiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 00:35   Link #44
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiken View Post
Well, I'm not that averse to characters suffering. But when and or if it does happen, I would like for it to lead to them emerging from it as a stronger person in the end. That is something I absolutely agree with.

As for characters either dying or coming just threads length away from getting sliced in half, hell yes I say! This series needs more violence in my opinion. But as for characters themselves getting offed, well...I'm a little bit more picky on what I'd accept.

If Hamazura or Mugino were to die for some cause, or say Gunha does something insane and ends up destroying himself, I'd be okay with something like that happening in the right context. Maybe even Masaki if they played it out like a tragedy kind of thing.

But if somebody like Mikoto, Aisa, Kuroko, Pierce, or Komoe were to die, then I would wisely begin to question Kamachi's immediate future as an author. There are just some characters deaths in the series that would just outright ruin practically everything that has ever happened if they were carried out at this point.

The only comparison I can think of to this type of thing happening (I don't know how many of you watch Game of Thrones) is Jon Snow's supposed death.

I know people personally that have sworn off the entire series after seeing that happen.

They have completely stopped associating themselves with the show entirely just because a certain character's death was just the last straw in their book.

I've tried talking to them out of it since I used to watch it with them, but they won't listen anymore. They don't care what happens, the show is forever death to them because of that.

and thats exactly what will happen if somebody like Mikoto ends up kicking the bucket so far into the series.
So your alright with killing off central characters like Hamazura, Mugino, Misaki and to a slight extent Gunha with circumstance, but your completely against killing characters like Pierce or even Aisa (she's like a ghost, if she died people would be like who da f*** got killed?)
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 00:45   Link #45
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

On character deaths, I really don't mind it as long as I do not suspect said character death as a kind of fulfillment of some technical storytelling requirements and it happens within logical bounds. Being a final arc doesn't automatically justify killing characters left and right, and so does character development. As we all know, it is not every time that character development must revolve on death. In fact, Kamachi is doing the complete opposite on Touma, and I assume the same can be said on Mikoto. To me, the worst thing Kamachi can do to somehow vindicate Mikoto is to kill her when she has to realize a lot of things throughout the series. (That may or may not include her feelings for the guy.)

Still, this "cliffhanger" of Mikoto being driven off the edge reminds me of Mugino in OT21... except that I prefer Mugino's because she has been crazy ever since OT15. Mikoto on the other hand...
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2016-04-11, 04:02   Link #46
Loremaster
He who writes too much.

No author should be ruled by how popular a character is in deciding if they need to die or not. Being an author shouldn't be about trying to sell a story constantly but to write a story that is fulfilling to the author.

Kill a character if it's needed and not at the predictable end point of the series. But when finally their story is at a personal end and a death is required to finish it. Though the rate of a death needed to end a personal story is rather low.

Quote:
I get your point but this novel series literally is:

"Accept yourself or get fucked"
and
"Accept other's help or get fucked"

And this goes for the 3 protagonists.
Probably why this novel series annoy me so much. I think these aspects rather lame and yet can't help but continue to reading as I like many of the character cast. Like Princess Carissa... she needs more love... Yes kill Mikoto off and replace her with the 2nd princess please.

*waifu dreams*
Loremaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 07:00   Link #47
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I've stopped caring about missing out on the so-called "must reads". Watching anime is entertainment, and entertainment for me is not being fucking depressed at the shit I watch.
You're pretty easily depressed then. Does that mean you only watch SoL stuff then?

Quote:
Unless he dies again. And again. And again. And again, where it comes to a point where instead of anticipating his next good step forward, you begin to ask if he's gonna die the next time he makes a move.
That depends on how it's written

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loremaster View Post
No author should be ruled by how popular a character is in deciding if they need to die or not. Being an author shouldn't be about trying to sell a story constantly but to write a story that is fulfilling to the author.
This I don't entirely agree with. You shouldn't write solely for other people, but the reality is that, when you're writing professionally, you have to try and give your audience what they want.

It's a balance. A subtle, but important one.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 07:21   Link #48
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
You're pretty easily depressed then. Does that mean you only watch SoL stuff then?
Not really. I could consider drama as my limit. Melodrama is mostly avoided. I find some SoL as too saccharine, like Gochiusa.
As you've noticed, though, I also watch shitty harem LNs. They are lightweight and not too deep.

Old 2016-04-11, 08:54   Link #49
itine
No Book No Live

Plot twist Mikoto ded, goes to Kamisato Harem
Oh geez guys
This was Japanese Light Novel, not Chinese Manhua
they don't kill a character so easily
and don't forget the author is Kamachi

(I'm usually just silent reader, but...)
itine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 11:57   Link #50
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

So far besides the usual "Touma saves Mikoto again" there is a notable number of sites speculating that it would be of help/less repetitivee if other character does it like Accelerator or Gunha and maybe even her clones if Accelerator takes part.
The former makes sense and the later because the way both Mikoto and Gunha described power overlaps with the other (even though Mikoto was leaning to the crazyy side) now more than ever since Ollerus met him and gave him tips about his true power.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 12:17   Link #51
Eliah1102

It would be good if Mikoto kills or seriously injures someone close to her like Kuroko due to her going crazy, after which she would regret it and come to terms with her not being really strong. Also I dont think that even if its a save mikoto arc it would be the next volume or any time soon, Touma still has some sanctuaries to get destroyed and just because Aleister said to off her does not mean that they would attack immediatly. Also since Kamachi decided to destroy Touma's sanctuaries I want to see what would happen when the obvious last sanctuary Index is destroyed.
Eliah1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 12:23   Link #52
DeliriousEagle

Side note. When was the last time we actually seen Kuroko in the main series? Feels like forever, which I am not outright complaining about.
DeliriousEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 13:36   Link #53
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliriousEagle View Post
Side note. When was the last time we actually seen Kuroko in the main series? Feels like forever, which I am not outright complaining about.
Nt7 or 8 i think... i usually skip boring fanservice BS which mostly involves her, uiharu etc (if it comes to stuff around mikoto)

@kurogeha

Nah, i doubt gunha will be able to “turn“ her back, and i doubt a simple beatdown will be helpful, if tou.a really isnt the savior (WR too) than i take accel due to his connection to the sisters, would be interesting to see his way of looking at things after he mastered the whie wings (which indicate some change of mind)
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 14:14   Link #54
LazyHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliriousEagle View Post
She made small appearances in NT6, NT9 and recently in NT13.
LazyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 14:36   Link #55
Tiken
Supreme Coconut Edgelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeMancer View Post
So your alright with killing off central characters like Hamazura, Mugino, Misaki and to a slight extent Gunha with circumstance, but your completely against killing characters like Pierce or even Aisa (she's like a ghost, if she died people would be like who da f*** got killed?)
I can actually explain my reasoning for a few of these.

Mugino has had a change of heart, and is no longer a psychotic murderer like she once was. She messed up when she killed Frenda, and she knows this - thus - she is a lot more like Accelerator is now, but to lesser hostile extent. Her attempting to atone for the things she's done and all the people she's killed by sacrificing herself to save someone or others would be a fitting way to go for her.

Hamazura has Takitsubo - his girlfriend - to worry about now. Its not just about himself anymore, and in turn, Rikou has beginning to open up a bit more towards him. Now, lets say Hamazura were to die by protecting her. How would she react?
How she would handle losing someone she cares for, wouldn't that be interesting to see?

Misaki is always trying to maintain her image and fit in with the rest of the crowd, yet, nobody but Touma (before he lost his memories the first time) knows the real her. How tragic would it be for her to die right in front of him, and for some reason, he can't even remember her name for more than a minute no matter how much he tries to get to know her.

Gunha hasn't been fleshed out very much quite yet, and not much is known about him except for the fact that he is a gemstone esper. Ollerus alluded that he could become stronger or something, and he was interested in him for some reason. I can't remember why, I'd have to go back and read it. But if I understand his character as I think I do, he doesn't think things through, and would probably lay down his life without a second thought if he believed it would save everyone whether he knows them or not.

Pierce or Komoe dying would be a major plot-hole since Kamachi has stated that he has a different name than Aogami Pierce (in other words, this is an alias) - in the manga, he's known as Blau - a dreamranker. Yeah, with such little information to go on, I'd say him dying right about now would be extremely dumb.

And Komoe's physical body is a complete mystery, and her being called one of the - seven wonders of AC - kind of hints that she holds some sort of hidden significance that hasn't been revealed as of yet. Yeah, again, her dying would leave a plot-hole too.

Aisa has almost died already once, I mean, there was blood everywhere during Daihaseisai. I don't think her dying would serve a purpose at all even if she is just a background character.

Do you see where I'm going with this? It would be a bad case of judgement for some characters to die at this point without at least fleshing them out a bit more.
Tiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 14:38   Link #56
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
Nah, i doubt gunha will be able to “turn“ her back, and i doubt a simple beatdown will be helpful, if tou.a really isnt the savior (WR too) than i take accel due to his connection to the sisters, would be interesting to see his way of looking at things after he mastered the whie wings (which indicate some change of mind)
It worked for Aqua and Gunha himself though.
Old 2016-04-11, 15:16   Link #57
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
It worked for Aqua and Gunha himself though.
acqua was never evil or crazy in thefirst place, he simply realized for what person he fought for all this time and helped in the civil war,
gunha... did he ever change? ollerus simply defeated him which made him realize how big the world is... nothing that requires any change of mind :/
in toaru real "turning" (as far as i remember) only comes with TnJ

@tiken

you proposel is something appearing every few volumes, but it never happens, kamachi wont kill characters, and im taking this as a fact, he wont, hell, he didnt even
Spoiler for spoiler for railgun:

i think the amount of chars who died and had a actual real role in the story wont even reach 20 (in a series which goes on for at least 10 years), andit is even less if you only count the people who are "good guys", andeven more less if you count the good people who met touma or fought alongside him at some point (if my memory serves me right only Kagun appears, but did he met touma before or after he died?)
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 16:54   Link #58
Eliah1102

^
Railgun is "Cute Girls Doing Cute Things" with powers and thats the reason he did not kill in it. Kamachi has killed quite a few named characters in Index, even just 2 volumes before in NT13 he directly killed HP and NT14 has the two MG's effectively being as good as dead. Index also has things done to people which is worse than death like Kakine&rensa brain jar and Noukan solid ice and if spoilers are true then we are most likely getting another death or brain jar.
Eliah1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-11, 18:01   Link #59
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Even if the characters didn't die they went through near death experience.

Index was being strangulated in the plane and on OT1 her spine was hacked even Touma could see the bones and fat.
Old 2016-04-11, 19:34   Link #60
DragonXX

I am the the one who said Mikoto would be save in the next book because it seen like this book and the next book are a two parter just because of how the spoiler said this book end but I also said that Mikoto may not be save until the last arc of this Story Arc which I believe could start on NT 18 or 19.

As for the Index sanctuary that was doom from the beginning and most likey will break when Laura make a big move like Crowley move on the Magic Gods, Laura the type who would use her remote at the moment AC fall into complete chaos like The List being know to anyone and then someone start the Takitsubo Level 5 Shift which could help everyone in AC become a Level 5 which could make all of AC your enemy for trying to keep Takitubo safe.

Also The List being known to everyone could be the final thing that break Mikoto, because her knowing from the beginning that all her hard work was a lie and she was alway destining to become a Level 5.
DragonXX is offline   Reply With Quote