Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-12-09, 15:48   Link #1
音楽は死んだ
Boobies˛ = Fun

Send a message via Yahoo to 音楽は死んだ
Large (21'-23') LCD Picking

I may be getting a decet sized LCD in the near future and am just curious about a few things. The LCD will be about $1000-$1200 Canadian and will have at least 1600x122 resolution.

Firstly is Response Time, I've seen as low as 16ms and as high as 25ms. Obvioulsy smaller is better, but in reality for a LCD of that size what is sufficent when running at its max resolution? Also is the Contrast Ratio and brightness needs any different from LCDs of smaller sizes.

Next is the market as it is now. In the last few months the prices have become a little lower on LCDs, but all in all there hasnt been any major price changes. Is this a good time to buy or is there a drop in the forseable futre with current trends?

And lastly I am looking for brand and model recomendations. I have a few in mind, but I am wondering if anyone has had any experence, good or bad, with LCDs of this size.
音楽は死んだ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-09, 16:10   Link #2
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

I have a NEC 21" LCD at 1600x1200. It's expensive but it's pretty good. If you can find a Mitsubishi check the label since they make the NEC monitors. My Mitsubishi does not have as many "customizable" features but that's fine with me. BTW, mitsubishi exited the LCD market so you might find a good deal. Panasonic is also a good label for "value." BTW, check to see if your monitor has a "brick" or external AC adaptor. Some have it built in and some do not. I prefer the built-in to save space and clutter. Some externals get too hot and causes interference problems. (e.g. humming sound from speakers).

Note that LCD is more pixelated (pitch) than traditional CRT. If you are doing a lot of graphics, I would still recommend CRT and it produces less eye strain. If gaming, I would definately go with CRT over LCD for better response rate - less lag (LCD refreshes the entire screen at once but this causes a lag). BTW, refresh rates are not applicable to LCD since they use Active TFT technology - no electron gun to sweep the screen as in CRT. Windows gives a refresh rate just for compatiblity but does not do anything.

Another thing to consider with LCD, is analog vs digital. If you are doing high-end graphics, go with the digital plug. You may need to upgrade your video card that allows for digital plugs.

The LCD market is pretty good. You might want to try US stores since they will save you $. Many companies will do the customs stuff for you.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-09, 16:29   Link #3
Shadowlord
~DESU

If you are going to order from the U.S. expect additional costs for custom fees and international shipping charges. Also expect at least a 2 week delay for processing (though since it is very close to christmas, probably longer) It may be better to buy from Canada if time is important. IMO it isnt worth the money to buy a 20- 21' LCD as it is double the price of a 19'. You can get a decent 19' LCD for $500 CAN while a low end 20' will run over $1000.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-09, 16:53   Link #4
音楽は死んだ
Boobies˛ = Fun

Send a message via Yahoo to 音楽は死んだ
I'd sooner eat shit before I deal with the us. Might as well just but it from some junkie so he could get his drugs, at least then I dont feel bad where my money is going.

Yea I noticed the diff in some online stores between the 19' and the 20' lcds. Big difference for a little change, but for 1600x1200 I dont see many 19' models. Was hoping that they would be cheaper by now >_<
音楽は死んだ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-09, 21:27   Link #5
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

The LCDs market went more to the TV line of products vs computer products since that's where the money is now. e.g. A 19" LCD for a computer goes for ~$500 CAN while TV goes for $2,000 CAN. Why discount too much when you can rip people off somewhere else? Also, a TV resolution is 1/2 of a computer resolution but they can charge 3x as much.

Politics aside, I got mine at newegg.com. They shipped to Canada with not much hassle. My cousin lives in Vancouver and I think she paid a $30-40 CAN premium (due to GST) but it was still cheaper than getting it locally.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-09, 22:12   Link #6
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Think of it this way your buying over the internet since it goes around most of the taxes there would be hardly any money going to the government.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-10, 01:32   Link #7
Shadowlord
~DESU

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAveOfFire
Think of it this way your buying over the internet since it goes around most of the taxes there would be hardly any money going to the government.
you still have to pay provincial taxes on the internet when your order is shipped (if it says no canadian taxes then they have added it to the CAN price already)

soo a $1600 LCD being shipped to British Columbia (where I live) would have $224.00 of tax added on (gov lowered our tax rate from 14.5% to 14%) So with taxes, the total price for a $1600 LCD comes to $1824.00. That also doesnt include shipping or insurance. Shipping Insurance is usually about 10% of total price, so 1824.00 will cost $182.40 for shipping insurance. That brings the total price to $2006.40. Shipping cost is based on weight, and differrent carriers have different prices. My 6800GT video card weighed about 1 pound, and the shipping cost through UPS was $10.00. Lets say the weight of your LCD is 20 pounds (that is the weight of most 21' LCD's ). That would mean that shipping through UPS would cost $200.00. The total price is now, after all taxes/charges is $2206.40 CAN.

Overall there was $606.40 of extra charges taking that $1600 LCD to a final total of $2206.40 CAN.

If you live in a differrent province such as Toronto, the tax rate is 15% (as far as I remember, has it changed?) so the price would be even higher for them.

Math is fun...
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-10, 15:27   Link #8
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Apple's new aluminum 20" and 23" displays are fantastic. 1680 x 1050 or 1920 x 1200, respectively. 16ms response times, 170° viewing angles, 400:1 contrast ratio, 250cd/m2 brightness, and certified for accurate color reproduction. Plus, they're fucking gorgeous. Best looking displays around, bar none. If you're a student, you'll get a fair chunk of change off the price too.
killmoms is offline   Reply With Quote