AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-03-27, 01:28   Link #141
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj0rel View Post
Why? Cause it has rings in it? Are you also going to say how Green Lantern in ripping off LotR next?
I still wonder why nobody got my reference to Legend of the Five Rings at the start of the anime. Probably because it's (nowadays, at least) an obscure RPG setting / trading card game reference. With only (checks Wikipedia), uh, 28 novels to its name, holy crap. I guess it's not that obscure a reference.
Old 2024-03-27, 02:38   Link #142
Lex79

I've seen a number of series, even ones with and actual polygamy ending, where the protagonist started being reluctant or opposed to having an harem. I suppose this is done to make the main character more relatable to Japanese readers and as a reason to delay progress with the girls.
For this series, Satou was introduced as being on love with Hime to the point of following her to another world so I can understand the author not wanting him to fall immediatly for other girls, but him.insisting that Hime is the only one after he convinced the others to marry him makes him look bad instead. Could've been handled much better had Satou not being so stubbirn, but maybe season 2 Is going to fix that.
Old 2024-03-27, 12:54   Link #143
Strahan

I can't believe the season ended that way. I guess they were really confident about getting a second season; must be banking on the power of titties lol.

A lot of hate for the MCs. Yea, the princess was gonna ditch the world, but then again she's a teenager suffering from raging hormones. I don't expect solid decision making. But Satou... oh God, c'mon man. For that same reason, I expected you to get your dick wet by the end of the show, especially when you have all those chicks ready and willing. Well, Saphir wasn't that into it. Usually I don't like tsundere characters, which is what she appeared to be at first but I really had to agree with her lol. The annoyed faces she'd make when she first joined the crew pretty well echoed my sentiments

He knew from the get go that deeping bonds with the ring princesses was the key to unlocking his power, but had to be a pussy about it. No wonder he lost. Hopefully for S2 he'll grow a pair.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-27, 13:55   Link #144
AndrewR5D4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
I can't believe the season ended that way. I guess they were really confident about getting a second season; must be banking on the power of titties lol.

A lot of hate for the MCs. Yea, the princess was gonna ditch the world, but then again she's a teenager suffering from raging hormones. I don't expect solid decision making. But Satou... oh God, c'mon man. For that same reason, I expected you to get your dick wet by the end of the show, especially when you have all those chicks ready and willing. Well, Saphir wasn't that into it. Usually I don't like tsundere characters, which is what she appeared to be at first but I really had to agree with her lol. The annoyed faces she'd make when she first joined the crew pretty well echoed my sentiments

He knew from the get go that deeping bonds with the ring princesses was the key to unlocking his power, but had to be a pussy about it. No wonder he lost. Hopefully for S2 he'll grow a pair.
His hesitation is actually proven to be a good thing later on. He wants to deepen his bond naturally, not just jump in the sack and potentially lose himself to lust. Let's just say the old Ring King was everything that anime-only watchers wish Satou was, but as a result, his fate was... ... ... Season 2 will provide the answer.

As for why Satou lost: It has nothing to do with his personal weakness. The answer is more complicated. Please note the appearance of evil rings is already a hint that what's happening now is much different than what happened in the legends.
AndrewR5D4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-27, 21:03   Link #145
Strahan

He all but ignored the rest of the girls though. Just like was brought up during the date with Krystal; he can't keep prioritizing her alone. He needs to stop being wishy washy and make an attempt with the rest. Doesn't even necessarily have to be sex, but at least make some sort of attempt to connect with them. Nefritis was the only one he really did that with.

I assume the "good thing later on" you refer to is past this season, because I fail to see how his hesitancy provided any benefit in what we saw. I'm just going by what we were given. We were told his power is proportional to the bonds, and since he did a piss poor job of cultivating them, his failure seemed logical.
Old 2024-03-28, 01:20   Link #146
magnuskn

"I know how the story ends, so that excuses the poor storytelling" is not really a good argument, IMO.
Old 2024-03-28, 02:10   Link #147
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I'll re-evaluate the protagonist once he gets a new voice actor

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Don't know much about Green Lantern, but if the Japanese title is the same as LotR + extra kanji and boss is one-eyed and there is a reference to Theoden and Gandalf saves the protagonist with big birds, then yeah, sure.
I think there might have been at least two more sections that ripped off of it, but I'm already starting to forget this anime's content
Oh yeah, I just remembered another one
That the elves don't die unless their heart dies. You know, that super common elf setting that you see every anime that has elves... Oh wait.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-28, 03:45   Link #148
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I'll re-evaluate the protagonist once he gets a new voice actor

Oh yeah, I just remembered another one
That the elves don't die unless their heart dies. You know, that super common elf setting that you see every anime that has elves... Oh wait.
Yes and No.

LOTR is translated to Japanese title as Tales of Rings.

The first anime version of elf appeared in Digital Devil Story and Dragon Quest.
Record of Lodoss War is serialized on D&D magazine. The source of inspiration of elf's ear design is from the movie Dark Crystal. Many anime fans learned about elf from this story.
Those Who Hunt Elves was the big parody of elves.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-28, 10:53   Link #149
AndrewR5D4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
He all but ignored the rest of the girls though. Just like was brought up during the date with Krystal; he can't keep prioritizing her alone. He needs to stop being wishy washy and make an attempt with the rest. Doesn't even necessarily have to be sex, but at least make some sort of attempt to connect with them. Nefritis was the only one he really did that with.

I assume the "good thing later on" you refer to is past this season, because I fail to see how his hesitancy provided any benefit in what we saw. I'm just going by what we were given. We were told his power is proportional to the bonds, and since he did a piss poor job of cultivating them, his failure seemed logical.
Their reactions are pretty standard, considering the main pair is trying to sort out their own awkwardness and feelings in the middle of a forced harem, in an apocalyptic situation, while the weight of the world crushes them and the pressure only mounts from all sides.

Satou never loved anybody romantically but Krystal. Neither had any experience with relationships, polygamy wasn't normal to Satou, and things have only gotten infinitely more complicated. Also, they're just normal kids. Satou never even knew about the magical world he now has to save, and Krystal lived an ordinary life in modern peaceful Japan completely removed from it for the majority of her life.

In my personal opinion, it's also a nice change to see an Isekai protagonist adjust poorly to their new situation. Also, not all of them instantly have an apocalyptic situation tossed on top of them, or in the span of a short time, or find themselves managing five relationships (only one of which he actually wanted). Things escalated quickly for him, and the fact he didn't take it well is definitely not surprising considering he's just an average dude.

As for the previous Ring King... Let's just say he was everything Satou is not: Strong, confident, lustful, and powerful. He did defeat the Abyss, but what do you suppose happened afterwards Satou's ineptitude aside, I believe it was his desire to honor his first love first and foremost that prevented him from walking this same path.
AndrewR5D4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-28, 13:11   Link #150
Dj0rel
True Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
"I know how the story ends, so that excuses the poor storytelling" is not really a good argument, IMO.
Claiming "it's poor storytelling" is no argument at all.
Old 2024-03-28, 18:55   Link #151
magnuskn

Quote:
Claiming "it's poor storytelling" is no argument at all.
Actually what you just said is "no argument at all", because it lacks any sort of cohesive explanation why claiming "poor storytelling" is bad. The poor storytelling of the story told in the anime has been recognized by quite a lot of people in this thread.
Old 2024-03-28, 23:22   Link #152
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post
Yes and No.

LOTR is translated to Japanese title as Tales of Rings.

The first anime version of elf appeared in Digital Devil Story and Dragon Quest.
Record of Lodoss War is serialized on D&D magazine. The source of inspiration of elf's ear design is from the movie Dark Crystal. Many anime fans learned about elf from this story.
Those Who Hunt Elves was the big parody of elves.
Correct
LotR's JP title 指輪物語 is literally this anime, except this anime adds two kanji 結婚 to the front. I seriously thought this anime was related at first, only to realize it was a coincidence... and then after watching, I no longer believe it was a coincidence and actively ripping off from it
Lodoss is generally credited as the inspiration for JP elves (though I think you are saying that Lodoss itself was inspired by other stuff, which is probably true too)

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-03-29, 13:00   Link #153
Dj0rel
True Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Actually what you just said is "no argument at all", because it lacks any sort of cohesive explanation why claiming "poor storytelling" is bad. The poor storytelling of the story told in the anime has been recognized by quite a lot of people in this thread.
Well your post lacked "any sort of cohesive explanation" on why it's "poor storytelling". Just because there were others (and not as nearly as many as you tried to imply) who were bitching about how thing didn't turn out how they wanted doesn't make it truth.
Old 2024-03-31, 13:52   Link #154
Strahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewR5D4 View Post
Satou never loved anybody romantically but Krystal. Neither had any experience with relationships, polygamy wasn't normal to Satou, and things have only gotten infinitely more complicated. Also, they're just normal kids. Satou never even knew about the magical world he now has to save, and Krystal lived an ordinary life in modern peaceful Japan completely removed from it for the majority of her life.
True, I need to stop looking at it through my own aspect of not having any connections to any of the ladies (hence no emotional hangups) and a forty-nine year old's experience, lol
Old 2024-03-31, 16:19   Link #155
magnuskn

Quote:
Well your post lacked "any sort of cohesive explanation" on why it's "poor storytelling". Just because there were others (and not as nearly as many as you tried to imply) who were bitching about how thing didn't turn out how they wanted doesn't make it truth.
Okay, then.

Last edited by magnuskn; 2024-03-31 at 17:08.
magnuskn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-01, 10:12   Link #156
EroKing

NSFW
Megami
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2024-04-01, 13:34   Link #157
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
NSFW
Megami
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Saphir looking lovely !

Tags
fan service, harem