AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > High School DxD

Notices

Old 2015-04-15, 17:16   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Dubbing of High School DxD

This thread is for the discussion of English Voice Actors in the R1 release of High School DxD.

Please do not use this thread to whinge and whine that you do not like any sort of English dub. No one is forcing you to listen to the dub so if you do not like it then simply listen to the Japanese track and turn the subtitles on.

Please remember these simple rules when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.
  • Voice Actors are humans.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to flame praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
Have fun!

[MOD EDIT] Continued from this discussion [/MOD EDIT]

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2015-04-15 at 20:31.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-15, 18:55   Link #2
Archilla

Well, I'm gonna start this off positively!

I think Azazel's dub voice actor is awesome. Sure, he can be a little quiet and/or monotone, but he's great for that screwing with Issei sarcasm. Probably the most sarcastic sounding voice I've heard in a while.

Best Performance: Episodes 11 and 12, Season 2. He gets a ton of lines in these episodes, and he absolutely steals the show.

Notably Awesome Lines:
"This fight is HILARIOUS!" S2E12
"C'mon, you've got to know that first villains to die always say crap like that." S2E11
"I think I'll help myself to some Armageddon." S2E11

EDIT: Huh, I really assumed this thread would be more controversial.

GRRR, Issei is dumb in the dub. GRRRR he says Rias' name!

Last edited by Archilla; 2015-04-16 at 13:31.
Archilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-17, 09:20   Link #3
Archilla

Talking

Well, in an attempt to breathe some life into this thread I'm starting a series!

GDK's Adventures in DxDubbing!

Following Azazel, I'll look at another top-notch voice performance, from everyone's favorite "legal wife" and winner of AnimeBrackets' "Best Oppai" contest, Rias Gremory!

Voice Actress: Jamie Marchi

If you're one of the, like, six people who haven't heard of Jamie Marchi, let me tell you something. You're lying to yourself. Because trust me, you've heard of Jamie Marchi. She's a voice acting veteran who's famous for work in shows such as Black Cat, Soul Eater, Sekirei, Heaven's Lost Property, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, Freezing, High School DxD, Witchblade and Death Parade. She's famous for her rich, almost regal voice that can fluxuate from a reserved high-status manipulator in Heaven's Lost Property to a loveable fightin' goofball in Freezing. Mix those two, add a pinch of Uzume in Sekirei, a dash of Panty in Panty and Stocking, and you've got Rias Gremory.

Jamie's Rias is definately one of the best things about the dub. In so many ways, it's a role she's born to play, as it feels like an amalgamation of all her previous roles. She's pulls off the royal status of Rias with a distinctive voice that fills a room with ease, quickly transitions to a simple high school girl, and handles the more fanservicey scenes with the confidence of someone who's... Well... Someone who's done P&S. the only knock I can think of is the fact that she's a victim of the Steve Blum effect. She's got such a distinctive voice that it's hard not to think about the other characters she's known for when you hear her.

Best Performance: This one is hard. So instead of "best" I'll use favorite. I'm a big fan of Season 2, Episode 7 because it's got a little bit of everything. We hear Buchou-mode, rival onee-samas mode, classic girl mode, and flirt with Issei mode all in the scape of one episode. Plus this episode is a lot of fun.

Notably Awesome Lines:
"Insulting my servants warrants death!"
"Are you glad you met me?" -Everything about this scene in s2e8, especially the pillow talk. Probably the best "regular girl scene."
"That's it. All done." -A snippet from the speeches to Koneko and Issei in s2e6. A very emotional and compassionate speech that turns funny at the end.

Jamie Marchi's Wikipedia Page:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Marchi
Old 2015-04-17, 09:27   Link #4
Chichiryuushintei

Jamie Marchi is also the responsible for that sorry excuse of a script that was the NEW Dub.
Chichiryuushintei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-17, 09:29   Link #5
Archilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichiryuushintei View Post
Jamie Marchi is also the responsible for that sorry excuse of a script that was the NEW Dub.
Shhhh... Just the voice acting...

There's a reason I didn't include that info...
Old 2015-04-17, 09:38   Link #6
Chichiryuushintei

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK1 View Post
Shhhh... Just the voice acting...
Dubbing includes script as far as I remember. She may be a good VA, but nothing makes up for Ise acting OOC and translating Vladi to Bloody.
Old 2015-04-17, 09:42   Link #7
Archilla

Quote:
Dubbing includes script as far as I remember. She may be a good VA, but nothing makes up for Ise acting OOC
and turning Vladi to Bloody.
Oh I completely agree, I was just joking. I was just going for a VA specific vibe. I'm trying to be positive for the time being, seeing as how that, among other things, is plenty to hate on the dub for.
Old 2015-04-17, 09:45   Link #8
Starway

Quote:
Dubbing includes script as far as I remember. She may be a good VA, but nothing makes up for Ise acting OOC and translating Vladi to Bloody.
Most characters acted OOC but could you name any scenes off the top of your head which stood out I'm just wondering.
Old 2015-04-17, 09:49   Link #9
Archilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starway View Post
Most characters acted OOC but could you name any scenes off the top of your head which stood out I'm just wondering.
Issei as a whole, for example, is a far cruder, dumber version of himself. See the "douche canoe" line.
Old 2015-04-17, 10:02   Link #10
Starway

Quote:
Issei as a whole, for example, is a far cruder, dumber version of himself. See the "douche canoe" line.
Thos bastards He needed all the IQ points he could get
but in all seriousness why do people have the need to change things that shouldn't be change no that not right changing things is fine the problem is what there changing it to, don't just do what ever you want, change completely how someone talks and even act is not someone a dub should do at least not like this.

By the way what your opinion on the rest of the gremory team dub voices no need to make them as big as Rias one
Old 2015-04-17, 10:23   Link #11
Archilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starway View Post
By the way what your opinion on the rest of the gremory team dub voices no need to make them as big as Rias one
Heh, I think I will end up doing long looks at the others just because I've got to satiate myself until I can read the rest of volume 18.

On a whole, from the voice acting point of view, I mostly like them. They definitely found good fits for characters like Issei, Xenovia, and Sirzechs. I've always disliked who they got for Akeno and Koneko. Koneko especially sounds like they tried to make her sound young by running her through editing software, and it's weird.

Like Chichi said, they're not given great stuff to work with. I chalk most of the issues people have with them to being casualties of the script. Which, yes, Jamie Marchi was sadly responsible for. But I'm not gonna hit on it too hard, because it's beating a dead horse at this point. It's like trying to review The Phantom Menace. What's there left to say?
Old 2015-04-18, 12:40   Link #12
Archilla

Back for more! Today, I'm gonna take a look at the only character you can follow the Switch-Princess with. It's time for everyone's favorite lecherous superhero, the Oppai Dragon himself, Issei Hyoudou!

Voice Actor: Scott Freeman

No, before you ask, he's not related to Alucard. I had to do some research on this one, as Scott was mostly a background character VA for while. This pattern was broken by landing the role of England in the dub of Hetalia Axis Powers. Other than that, his other big roles are main characters in Baka to Test and B Gata H Kei. For his minor roles in dubs, he seems to have pattern playing "plain, unassuming" characters or characters with a comedic kick to them. Some more notable minor roles are in The Devil is a Part-Timer!, Chaos; Head, and A Certain Magical Index. Let me know if there's anything else he's famous for/done a good job on!

Issei is an interesting beast in the dub. There's some seriously divided opinions on him. Light Novel readers have a serious bone to pick with the fact that he's dumbed down, and acts out of character often. First-time viewers seem to enjoy him for his ability to deliver good comedy, and I have a couple friends myself who love him. For full disclosure, I'm a LN reader myself. I mostly consider Issei a victim of sacrificing accuracy for comedy, as this seems to be a common theme of the dub. He very much is guilty of the concerns of the LN crowd, with his IQ dropping a few points and a serious change in vernacular. I have to take this with a grain of salt, because for the most part, I think Scott does a good job of getting the humor of the series to an English-speaking audience who usually gets left out in that aspect of the sub. A common concern that I hear is his change in speaking manner, especially with his shift to swearing every few seconds. While some of this is painful (See the "douche canoe" line), in my opinion some of it works with the fact that Issei is a crude high-schooler. Plus, they sometimes are able to use the swearing to decent effect when Issei is reacting someone treating his friends poorly (see the Vali fight). Voice-wise, Scott does a good job, but I do have some bones to pick. He nails a hapless teenager's voice, and can really ham it up for when Issei reverts into ero-mode. I also enjoy some of his more tender moment performances, such as the griffin ride with Rias. One of the things I've always disliked about his performance are his loud, screaming moments. The Vali fight is again a great example of this. He always seems like his voice starts cracking when he hits the highest point of a screamed line, and it's odd. But for the most part he's got a good voice for this. Much like Jamie Marchi, he's been playing roles similar to this for a while...

And no, we're not gonna talk about the whole "Using Rias' real name" thing. Yes, it's awful.

Best Performance: I really enjoy him in Season 1, Episode 12. It's got a good range of Scott's skills, from the serious battle, Issei adopting his serious "fill the room" voice for wedding crashing, to some nice tender moments between him and Rias.

Notably Awesome Lines:
"Then I'll give up my other arm. And then my eyes if I have to. I'll do whatever it takes. Nothing's gonna stop me. I'll always save you." -S1E12
"'Rub lotion on my chest' are officially the most beautiful words I've ever heard in my entire life!" -S2E7
"Like I would just sit idily by and let him take ANYTHING FROM ME!" -S2E12

Scott Freeman's Wikipedia Page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Freeman_(voice_actor)

Last edited by Archilla; 2015-04-19 at 18:11.
Old 2015-04-18, 16:00   Link #13
Zenthon

I feel that scott's the prefect voice for issei
Zenthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 13:17   Link #14
Archilla

I was thinking of either taking a look at Akeno or Koneko today. Does anyone have a preference?

Anyone care?
Old 2015-04-21, 21:38   Link #15
Zenthon

Quote:
I was thinking of either taking a look at Akeno or Koneko today. Does anyone have a preference?

Anyone care?
Akeno first
Zenthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-22, 02:16   Link #16
Frontier

Yeah, after the one snippet I heard of her during a preview, I definitely want to get more insight on Akeno's dub voice. Not that I'm expecting much positive mind you .
Old 2015-04-30, 09:59   Link #17
Chaos-Zero

Send a message via MSN to Chaos-Zero
I do say that Scott Freeman,and Jamie Marchi each done an excellent job of voicing Issei and Rias. I remember all too well as she voice Uzume from Sekirei and Haruna from Negima.
Chaos-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-30, 10:15   Link #18
Archilla

Yes, it's been a while. Finals and such.

Today I'm going to take a look at a massive fan-favorite; the most electrifying woman in anime-entertainment, Akeno "Thunder doesn't mean what you think it means" Himejima!

Voice Actor: Teri Rogers

*Cue The Jeffersons' theme* Teri took some digging to find much of anything on, as she's mostly a new talent that's seen her big work come very recently, and only started her career in 2010. She's got a voice self-described as sweet, young, "girl next door," and a little eerie. Sound familiar? Teri's biggest role has definitely come in the form of getting to play Akeno, and it seems like 2014 has been a big year for her, landing roles in Senran Kagura, A Certain Scientific Railgun S, and Kamisama Kiss. Other than that, Teri has mostly provided additional/background voices in her career. She also lists early work as some commercials, radio voices, and even some time working for a planetarium.

Akeno is... an outlier in the dub. For a show that, in my opinion, was fairly well cast with new and old talent, Teri's Akeno just seems to have a resting voice that rubs me the wrong way. It's hard to place a finger on it, but in normal conversation, especially with her "onee-sama" moments with Rias, her voice feels very out of place. It's almost like a fandub, which may sound harsh. I'm honestly having a hard time describing it. It's a hair to drawn out, a hair too spacey. All I can say is it sticks out, maybe even more so than Koneko's. Where Teri makes up is in two departments. For one, her voice feels far more at home in battle scenes when stuff gets intense. She's got the anti-Scott Freeman issue, in a way. Her screams and battle cries definitely feel at place in a show where there's a ton. But where Teri tears down the freaking house, hoo boy, is the ecchi moments. This is what I feel Teri was cast on, because she knocks it out of the park. It doesn't feel forced, or even like she's trying too hard (like Jamie's Rias can occasionally slip into, see the RiasxIsseixAsia bathtub scene). I can't really find any background on her for this sort of work, so it seems like Teri is just naturally comfortable with it. She manages to drip with sensuality, but remain playful/confident at the same time. If you need proof, her BTVA page will be linked at the bottom of this review. On that page is a audio clip of her "I'd love to see you writhing in pain" speech to Issei. Listen to that damn thing again. Sheesh.

Character-wise, Akeno seems like she's been getting jipped a little bit as this series progresses. I'm not going to get into BorN territory, as this is supposed to be a dub thing, but it feels like the writers have had a hard time balancing her with the ever-increasing cast of girls. She gets some decent character development, as her scenes with Issei about her mixed heritage have been sweet (so far in the dub), but she doesn't feel nearly like the scene stealer she could be in season 1. I hope to see her get some more love in the second half of BorN. She's not nearly OOC to the extent Issei is in the dub, so I'm going to leave those points to a bigger Akeno fanboy.

Best Performance: Gotta give it to Season 2, Episode 10. She gets to take on the difficult role of handling Akeno's past, and manages to inject some sadness into a hard scene to carry. Playing across from Scott helps, too.

Notably Awesome Lines:
The "Writhing in pain" speech. Like seriously, go listen to that again. Guddayum.
"You say sweet things like that, and what's a girl to do?" -S2E10
"Don't speak his name. I am nothing like that creature!" -S2E6

Teri Rodgers' Behind the Voice Actors Page:
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Teri-Rogers/
Old 2015-05-02, 12:56   Link #19
Chichiryuushintei

It seems the first BorN episode was dubbed, and apparently Ise and Akeno got new Voice Actors. I'm not subscribed to Funi so I can't say for sure.
Old 2015-05-02, 13:21   Link #20
schedmaster

@Chichi, if that is the case, the reasons for the voice actor change I guess would probably be because of scheduling conflict or a disagreement of views, etc. Also would they do a final dub at the end to get it completely right then?
schedmaster is offline   Reply With Quote