AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2022-09-08, 17:36   Link #1
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Drifting Home [Netflix]

The new film from Studio Colorido (Penguin Highway) will release in Japan and stream on Netflix on September 16th.

(That video is blocked in the United States, Canada, Russia and Belarus. Why? Copyright, I guess...?)

The "adventure fantasy as summer ends" anime centers on Kōsuke and his childhood friend Natsume. The two recently entered sixth grade, and are entering an awkward phase in their friendship and have started avoiding one another. One day during summer vacation, they visit an apartment building with that is about to be demolished, where the two of them used to live. Suddenly, Kōsuke, Natsume, and their friends get wrapped up in a strange phenomenon, and the whole building is surrounded by an ocean. The group of friends must try to find their way home from the drifting building.
Old 2022-09-08, 20:08   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That’s from the very admirable Studio Colorido, and by the same director as Penguin Highway. I’m very pleased to see it’s going to be streaming on Netflix.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-09, 07:58   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That’s from the very admirable Studio Colorido, and by the same director as Penguin Highway. I’m very pleased to see it’s going to be streaming on Netflix.
Me too. I loved Penguin Highway, and it feels good to get a release at the same time as Japan for a theatrical movie.
Old 2022-09-18, 10:45   Link #4
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Just watched it.

And...it fell way short for me.

Spoiler for Why it fell short for me:

There's really not much more to it than that. Kana Hanazawza and Nana Mizuki were apparently in this one but in very minor roles. Asami Seto does a decent job as Natsume, who is the only character worthy of empathy because the rest are just utter brats, but even she becomes a real pain. There was an intriguing concept in the mix, but these characters were not the ones this story needed. There's little to bond with because those moments occur far too late in the piece, what happens next is predictable. Nothing gets explained, things just happen and you have to accept it.

If you're expecting something around the mark of Penguin Highway, sadly this didn't get anywhere near. Which is sad, because I wanted Studio Colorido to show they belong. Hopefully next time.

6/10