AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2008-06-11, 10:42   Link #101
rastilin

Quote:
Didn't he saved a lot of people?How's that not making him a hero.
Being a hero implies there will be songs, speeches and legends for thousands of years. If you don't get that, you won't get the "hopes of humanity" necessary to become an eirai.

Quote:
He made the pact to be counter guardian after he realized that he can't protect everyone right?
Apparently, I haven't seen much about the pact. But it's implied that you get the powers of a servant while alive in exchange for being turned into an eirai to serve the world after death. The exact words were "I pledge to serve after death, I would like my reward now." or something similar.
rastilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 11:34   Link #102
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_Lord View Post
Didn't he saved a lot of people?How's that not making him a hero. He made the pact to be counter guardian after he realized that he can't protect everyone right?
Alajubura also did save a lot of people, but he is not a hero, as we don't know him.
In case you don't like my metaphour...having tales passed down is the minimum requirement of being a hero...
iamandragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 01:11   Link #103
Blade_Lord
Lord of Blades

Quote:
In case you don't like my metaphour...having tales passed down is the minimum requirement of being a hero...
One question.How do you know archer doesn't have tales about him passed down.Unless you lived in Nasuverse after archer died or Nasu said so then you can't make assumption.

Emiya Shirou,the Counter Guardian.
Blade_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-13, 09:49   Link #104
Zarxs
Taco Bell Addict

Send a message via AIM to Zarxs
Quote:
One question.How do you know archer doesn't have tales about him passed down.Unless you lived in Nasuverse after archer died or Nasu said so then you can't make assumption.
If I am not mistaken those tales and stories only matter if they are in the time period the servant is summoned into. This said I doubt many people would be telling tales of a hero that has yet to be one.
Zarxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-13, 11:02   Link #105
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Quote:
Becuase Archer was never a human in his life time--he made a pact with the world directly to become a counter guardian, skipping the heroic spirit phase of most others servants. (Normal steps are heroic spirit->counter guardian->servant). He was so twisted after many summonings because all the situations he was summoned to only requires him to kill, kill, kill and kill all the minority to save the majority.
Old 2008-06-13, 11:27   Link #106
rastilin

Quote:
Becuase Archer was never a human in his life time--he made a pact with the world directly to become a counter guardian, skipping the heroic spirit phase of most others servants. (Normal steps are heroic spirit->counter guardian->servant).
You keep bringing that up but I'm sure it's wrong. He was obviously human because you see him as a person during the events of the game. But more importantly, there isn't a ladder to go through, those terms are not mutually exclusive.

Eirai - All heroes on the throne
Servant - All eirai summoned during the Grail Wars
** The word Servant implies someone who is forced to serve. The term only applies to summoned Eirai.
Counter Guardian - Someone who has made a pact with Akasha to become an Eirai.

Aside from the counter force, the technical difference between Archer and other Eirai is that they get their essence from the collective hopes of humanity. Archer instead gains his essence from Akasha.

My point is that generally fame and Akasha are two different ways to wind up on the throne. Saber, in attempting to become a guardian after becoming an Eirai is an exception and not the standard.

Quote:
He was so twisted after many summonings because all the situations he was summoned to only requires him to kill, kill, kill and kill all the minority to save the majority.
It's actually surprising how well he holds up considering what he's been through. That guy has spectacular mental fortitude; It wouldn't be surprising if he could take being dunked in the grail without corrupting.
Old 2008-06-13, 13:43   Link #107
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastilin View Post
You keep bringing that up but I'm sure it's wrong. He was obviously human because you see him as a person during the events of the game. But more importantly, there isn't a ladder to go through, those terms are not mutually exclusive.

Eirai - All heroes on the throne
Servant - All eirai summoned during the Grail Wars
** The word Servant implies someone who is forced to serve. The term only applies to summoned Eirai.
Counter Guardian - Someone who has made a pact with Akasha to become an Eirai.

Aside from the counter force, the technical difference between Archer and other Eirai is that they get their essence from the collective hopes of humanity. Archer instead gains his essence from Akasha. [different paths to become servants.

My point is that generally fame and Akasha are two different ways to wind up on the throne. Saber, in attempting to become a guardian after becoming an Eirai is an exception and not the standard.
Well at least for the servants seen in the 4th and 5th HG War, with Saber and Archer as exceptions, they all become heroic spirits first, while the two took

Quote:
It's actually surprising how well he holds up considering what he's been through. That guy has spectacular mental fortitude; It wouldn't be surprising if he could take being dunked in the grail without corrupting.
But that is probably he is slightly twisted to begin with. You hardly see anyone else with a sense of justice and never-dying-body like Shirou anywhere in the Nasuverse...
Old 2008-06-14, 00:33   Link #108
Blade_Lord
Lord of Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon View Post
Becuase Archer was never a human in his life time--he made a pact with the world directly to become a counter guardian, skipping the heroic spirit phase of most others servants. (Normal steps are heroic spirit->counter guardian->servant). He was so twisted after many summonings because all the situations he was summoned to only requires him to kill, kill, kill and kill all the minority to save the majority.
What are you saying(assuming he comes from fate route) he makes a pact with the world to become counter guardian after the series?By the way who is Akasha??

Emiya Shirou,the Counter Guardian.
Blade_Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-14, 03:46   Link #109
rastilin

Quote:
What are you saying(assuming he comes from fate route)
Spoiler for Archer:

Quote:
he makes a pact with the world to become counter guardian after the series?
Yes, in exchange for eternal servitude, Akasha will grant a position on the throne of heroes and one miracle. Or at least a way with which to acquire that miracle.

Quote:
By the way who is Akasha??
In the nasuverse, Akasha is the spirit of the world; although that could be a different one.

Last edited by rastilin; 2008-06-14 at 06:18.
Old 2008-11-10, 13:56   Link #110
DarkHonour

I'd prefer a kind of time paradox where Shirou saw his future in himself and that his fate is inevitable to become a counter-guardian even though he'll go back to his past to attempt to kill his past.

Maybe the branching off point of the alternate worlds is the part whether Sabers accept who she is or whether she chooses to pursue her dream. That's a good idea. :P
DarkHonour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 08:25   Link #111
ShinMasaki
バルサミコス

If I may...it is an inactive thread, but I feel I have to intervene on some things here, having just finished all paths in Fate/Stay Night and am now beginning my tour through Hollow/Ataraxia.

Spoiler for info from UBW path:

Spoiler for Absolute Archer spoiler...DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO FIND OUT ON YOUR OWN:

I realize that this thread has died down with little activity, but if the previous writers were still questioning things about Archer, I feel obligated to respond with my info.

On a side note, Hollow/Ataraxia is so confusing...far worse than Kagetsu Tohya. I've gone through the scenario several times without any real idea of where I'm supposed to end up. I have learned a bit about the Holy Grail and the reason for its corruption but little beyond what is already stated in Heavens Feel of Fate/Stay Night.
ShinMasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 10:02   Link #112
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinMasaki View Post
If I may...it is an inactive thread, but I feel I have to intervene on some things here, having just finished all paths in Fate/Stay Night and am now beginning my tour through Hollow/Ataraxia.

Spoiler for info from UBW path:

Spoiler for Absolute Archer spoiler...DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO FIND OUT ON YOUR OWN:

I realize that this thread has died down with little activity, but if the previous writers were still questioning things about Archer, I feel obligated to respond with my info.

On a side note, Hollow/Ataraxia is so confusing...far worse than Kagetsu Tohya. I've gone through the scenario several times without any real idea of where I'm supposed to end up. I have learned a bit about the Holy Grail and the reason for its corruption but little beyond what is already stated in Heavens Feel of Fate/Stay Night.
Well, Hollow/Ataraxia is only good for its last scene. ..

And Archer's life is pretty much known to all by now..

I never understood the part about him dying though. .

If he is so damn good, how did he get executed?

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 15:04   Link #113
ShinMasaki
バルサミコス

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinoras View Post
Well, Hollow/Ataraxia is only good for its last scene. ..

And Archer's life is pretty much known to all by now..

I never understood the part about him dying though. .

If he is so damn good, how did he get executed?
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2009-01-13, 05:04   Link #114
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Quote:
Spoiler for spoiler:
Well, that is just. . .stupid. Seriously. No wonder Archer hated his ideal over time.

Well, at any rate, did they ever explain how he got all those weapons? I know he replicated them, but if he never saw them, how can he replicate them?

Old 2009-01-13, 09:54   Link #115
kaizer63

Send a message via AIM to kaizer63
Quote:
Well, that is just. . .stupid. Seriously. No wonder Archer hated his ideal over time.

Well, at any rate, did they ever explain how he got all those weapons? I know he replicated them, but if he never saw them, how can he replicate them?

It's also how Archer decided he would best be able to use his life. And for his weapons--he got to watch a few Gilgamesh sword spams in his own timeline too. Not to mention being summoned all over the place as a CG would rack up a few more. And K&B were supposed to come from something related to the temple in Fuyuki if I remember correctly.
Old 2009-01-14, 09:00   Link #116
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizer63 View Post
It's also how Archer decided he would best be able to use his life. And for his weapons--he got to watch a few Gilgamesh sword spams in his own timeline too. Not to mention being summoned all over the place as a CG would rack up a few more. And K&B were supposed to come from something related to the temple in Fuyuki if I remember correctly.
Man, too bad. UBW is by far the coolest and most powerful Noble Phantasm. . ever.

They should make an Archer route.. .

Old 2009-01-14, 19:15   Link #117
ShinMasaki
バルサミコス

Quote:
Man, too bad. UBW is by far the coolest and most powerful Noble Phantasm. . ever.

They should make an Archer route.. .

I do believe that's the UBW route in Fate/Stay Night. UBW is definitely an awesome spell...it's not really a Noble Phantasm. It's a reality marble, a projection of the mage's magic upon the world itself. It's not a Noble Phantasm because...
Spoiler for spoiler:

Also, UBW only creates copies of swords seen, it doesn't mean that he can use their abilities. In short, he's much like Gilgamesh, able to summon them but not proficient in their use. His only real attack style is the one that focuses on the usage of Kanshou and Bakuya or his archery skill.
Old 2009-01-14, 23:19   Link #118
kaizer63

Send a message via AIM to kaizer63
Quote:

Also, UBW only creates copies of swords seen, it doesn't mean that he can use their abilities. In short, he's much like Gilgamesh, able to summon them but not proficient in their use. His only real attack style is the one that focuses on the usage of Kanshou and Bakuya or his archery skill.

Archer is only kind of like Gilgamesh in that while Gil. is an "owner" Archer is a "faker" and actually CAN use the weapons to their greatest ability, as long as there's no requirement in the legend that he doesn't meet. (That limitation is why Shirou can only use the Caliburn special attack while Saber is also holding the sword) Part of UBW is tracing the history of the weapon and that includes every time it's ever been wielded and he's able to "download" that skill for himself, though it only applies to that specific weapon (and its more like the weapons are moving on their own).

Spoiler:
Old 2009-07-15, 20:00   Link #119
Shadow Kira01

Archer's fighting abilities can almost be called copycats as that he doesn't have any originals.

Spoiler:

Although this makes Archer looks lame but oh well...
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-15, 20:09   Link #120
rastilin

Quote:
Archer's fighting abilities can almost be called copycats as that he doesn't have any originals.
He does have a few originals.

Spoiler for Original: