4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.50%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.75%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-01-28, 20:24   Link #81
ordnance11

It's definintely an interesting episode for plot development:

1. Ilya struck me as a powerful magus (is there a female form for the word?) and a spoiled brat. She came to kill them, and she wanted it done her way. Kinda like torturing and then burning a kitten. Giving her Servant's name away was ndication of how sure she was of how the script was going to go, The main reason she stopped the attack was that Shiro spoiled her fun by going against the script. Masters do not save their servants. t's just not done.

Kevin Sorbo, this Hercules isn't. Fast, strong and invulnerable to magics spells. and ugly to boot!

2. Are we sure that Rin was the one who carried Shiro back to his house? She didn't look to be strong enough to carry a bleeding and battered body that far, though I could be wrong.

Spoiler for Rin

Spoiler:

3. As much as some people decry Shiro's actions, I applaud it! To save someone you care about even at the cost of your life is worth praising. The only thing he needs is power to back up his desire. His retching when he recalled Kotmine's word is also pretty good in my opinion. I think he just realized then that for his desire to come true, great evil must also be present. Can't have one w/o the other.

4. Didn't Saber look cute in the dojo? That little exchange between her and Shiro was pretty good. He gained a powerful, yet honorable servant and she gained a Master who cherishes her and would not abuse her. Those two reminds me of Ifurita and Makoto Mizuhara. Though who gave Saber the clothes?

A couple of questions though? Did Shiro used the power of his marks to heal Saber and give him the strenght and speed to push her out of the way?

As for chapter 5...

Spoiler:
ordnance11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 20:35   Link #82
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordnance11
A couple of questions though? Did Shiro used the power of his marks to heal Saber and give him the strenght and speed to push her out of the way?
It did seem like that, with his command mantra glowing and all..

Plus, when you see the command mantra again while he's talking with Saber, he has all three. So..

Spoiler:
Old 2006-01-28, 20:47   Link #83
Morisato

Quote:
It's definintely an interesting episode for plot development:

1. Ilya struck me as a powerful magus (is there a female form for the word?) and a spoiled brat. She came to kill them, and she wanted it done her way. Kinda like torturing and then burning a kitten. Giving her Servant's name away was ndication of how sure she was of how the script was going to go, The main reason she stopped the attack was that Shiro spoiled her fun by going against the script. Masters do not save their servants. t's just not done.

Kevin Sorbo, this Hercules isn't. Fast, strong and invulnerable to magics spells. and ugly to boot!

2. Are we sure that Rin was the one who carried Shiro back to his house? She didn't look to be strong enough to carry a bleeding and battered body that far, though I could be wrong.

Spoiler for Rin

Spoiler:

3. As much as some people decry Shiro's actions, I applaud it! To save someone you care about even at the cost of your life is worth praising. The only thing he needs is power to back up his desire. His retching when he recalled Kotmine's word is also pretty good in my opinion. I think he just realized then that for his desire to come true, great evil must also be present. Can't have one w/o the other.

4. Didn't Saber look cute in the dojo? That little exchange between her and Shiro was pretty good. He gained a powerful, yet honorable servant and she gained a Master who cherishes her and would not abuse her. Those two reminds me of Ifurita and Makoto Mizuhara. Though who gave Saber the clothes?

As for chapter 5...

Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure those were her clothe without the armor on.
Morisato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 20:53   Link #84
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigious
Dude, whenever I see Sakura, I think Kaede. I mean they are both insanely subserviant toward the respective main characters, as well as having that super nice girl blank stare. And maybe it's just me, but their voices sound very similar(same voice actress maybe?).
Nope, different va.

I saw her as another in Ep1 and that blank stare seal it. We will see sakura go Kaede on either Rin or Sabre or both at point in this series.

Looking forward to it
Old 2006-01-28, 20:53   Link #85
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Though who gave Saber the clothes?
Those are Rin's clothes.

And to those wandering about the difference between Hercules and the legends he's known for;

Those legends we're so fond of were written by people and altered throughout history. The Heroic Spirits used in Fate/stay night are the 'actual' Heroes before they were recorded in history.
Old 2006-01-28, 20:57   Link #86
cf18
Mecha Pilot

To me, Ilya may think Shiro was really dead for good and just spear Rin until she can summon her servant for a real fight.

Now who is this woman with purple hair spying on them?

And how will Shiro explain Saber to his free maid Sakura? Long lost cousin? New maid? New girlfriend? Traveling samurai?
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 20:59   Link #87
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

all deleted

Last edited by Village Idiot; 2006-01-29 at 11:24.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 21:13   Link #88
ordnance11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf18
To me, Ilya may think Shiro was really dead for good and just spear Rin until she can summon her servant for a real fight.

And how will Shiro explain Saber to his free maid Sakura? Long lost cousin? New maid? New girlfriend? Traveling samurai?

Actually, from the looks of Epsisode 5..he has to explain Saber to Fuji-nee first!
Old 2006-01-28, 21:19   Link #89
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf18

My girlfriend

Oh wait, harem visual novel we're talking about here...
Old 2006-01-28, 21:26   Link #90
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 21:45   Link #91
mikemil828
Enemy of all Humankind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
mikemil828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 21:50   Link #92
tragicsmile
おじさんはパスタ好き?

Send a message via AIM to tragicsmile Send a message via Yahoo to tragicsmile
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemil828
Spoiler:
Kinda wrong though - I think the whites should turn red too, indicating that (most likely) blood was flowing into her eyes from a wound on her head/forehead/wherever the fuck they bleed from when blood flows down their face like that.

...Seriously, the hair is undamaged but the blood is flowing. o_o
tragicsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-28, 23:35   Link #93
mikemil828
Enemy of all Humankind

Now that I watch it again, her eyes turn green again when Shirou got it, I guess it's for some other reason
mikemil828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 00:21   Link #94
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Okay, now that I rewatched it, yeah Ilya did say she was bored. However, Mahou's version has that subtitle for less than a second before it gets replaced, which I missed entirely in my first watching because I was focusing on Ilya's facial expressions. When I noticed that the subs changed, I hesitated for a fraction of a second and so by the time I looked at the subs, it was already the third line ('Berzerker!') and missed 'boring' part. Eclipse's version has it for about 2 seconds since they combined it with Ilya's previous line, which if I watched theirs first I'd have a little bit more understanding.

Makes more sense now, since my biggest gripe with this episode was the absolute lack of clues for Ilya sparing the dynamic duo, which apparently there was one after all. Without that little line, one would get that Ilya spared both masters because of Shirou's noble behaviour, which makes absolutely no sense at all. Bah, what luck. Out of all the lines I missed, it would be the most important one. Now don't I feel stupid, considering I've been actively watching subbed anime for half a decade now. >_>

Up the score to a 5, which for the beginning episodes is strictly average by my standards. Nothing too exciting, much less anything 'good' in it, but entertaining enough to keep my interest.

As for Sakura, I think she's setting her sights (aka. Kaede mode) on the wrong person. As much as I am hoping for a RinxShirou pairing, so far Rin has exhibited no actions that can be interpreted as romantic, implied or otherwise. If Sakura does exhibit Kaede tendencies, we'll probably see Kaede mk. II once they show Shirou and Saber getting too close for comfort in front of Sakura's eyes.

Which begs the question, exactly why does Sakura feel 'threatened' by Rin? Is it really because Sakura feels that Rin is rival to Shirou's affections? Before the series started, Shirou doesn't even know who the heck Rin is, much less interacted with her, so logically it can't be that unless Sakura jumped the gun on this one. The only other alternatives are even less likely, like Sakura herself being a Master and so realized Rin is a Master as well (but Sakura undetected by skillful Rin? doubtful), or she knows Rin and Shirou's shared 'forgotten' past (in which there's no indication at all, and so doubtful again). Who knows? Apart from game players, only time will tell.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 00:27   Link #95
ordnance11

Makes more sense now, since my biggest gripe with this episode was the absolute lack of clues for Ilya sparing the dynamic duo, which apparently there was one after all. Without that little line, one would get that Ilya spared both masters because of Shirou's noble behaviour, which makes absolutely no sense at all

Yup, just like a spoiled brat...I'm taking my marbles home!. Shiro just wasn't playing the script.

You know, there's magical girls and gun girls. Rin, the magical gun girl..that's got to be a first for me!
Old 2006-01-29, 02:08   Link #96
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I finally got a chance to watch this show .

It sure took me a while to catch up with everyone (just watched eps. 4), but I am happy I started watching it at this point.

Things are going a little bit too slow IMHO. But I am sure things will pick up as the shows moves on.
Old 2006-01-29, 02:25   Link #97
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

A 7.
Its a bit slow.. but I guess its stil at infant stage ...
Spoiler:
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 03:19   Link #98
deviousj
Joker and Aoko fan

Send a message via AIM to deviousj
Overall, I enjoyed this episode. I gave it an 8. Some scenes really interested me though. First, Ilya sparing Shirou. From the post here, it turns out that it really is because she's childish. Originally, I thought it was from shock from Shirou taking the blow. I thought that Shirou used a command mantra to get Saber to stop fighting because his hand glowed. Apparently, I was wrong.

I'm still intrigued by why Rin spends so much effort to help Shirou. I don't think it's anything on a Romantic level. Some people have said that it's because she doesn't she him as a threat. I actually agree with the idea that it's because she's a good person. I think that's why she healed him back in episode 2. She felt sorry that someone that had nothing to do with the war was critically injured. Now, I think she's doing it because Shirou just doesn't have a clue.

I liked with the scene that had Shirou talking with his adoptive father. I liked how his father said about giving up on being a "protector of justice". I intrepreted this as his father meaning that it's impoosible to do so because you can't always be a "protector". Sometimes, you'll have to betray your ideals. You won't always be able to save everyone. Shirou, in his innocence, didn't realize what his father was saying and decided to become a "protector of justice" in his father's steed. It's likely that later on Shirou's ideals will be repeatedly challenged. Can he hold on to his ideals though? What surprised me about this scene is how Shirou just cried. Why? Was it because his father though he was joking or because his father though he couldn't do it? Or is it something else? Something deeper, something may play a role in later episodes.

The scene with Rin and Sakura intrigued me as well. Well, specifically the "smell of blood" comment. How would she know what the smell of blood is? There's undoubtedly something deeper to her. What if she knows of everything that's happening? I think that she does truly like Shirou, but I feel that there's something else as well.

I really enjoyed the Saber and Shirou conversation. It was quite funny. Their personalities go well together. At least I think so anyways. Saber really is the best servant for Shirou because of her morals. Saber is straightforward. Shirou is very idealistic. They look cute together

This series has managed to interest me a lot. I like the slow pacing. It allows for a deliberate style of story telling. It also allows for a lot of character development. I just hope that they won't go midway throught the season and realize that they haven't done anything plotwise; then, rush through the rest of it.
deviousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 03:56   Link #99
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

OK. I suspect I'm alone here, but I actually appreciate the slow, deliberate pace. I understand where everyone is coming from. Four episodes and we're still pretty much at the beginning. There's been little interaction between Shirou and Saber, most likely the key players, and a couple of important characters have yet to be introduced. Still, we've seen a lot of character development, and I have a pretty good idea of where we are headed. I find Saber, a character that has had exactly one real coversation to date, to be extremely sympathetic. I want to have her children. Rin, the most fleshed-out character, continues to be a doll. She's in a real moral gray area, and I just don't care. I want to have her children as well. The loli is a malevolent, sadistic nut-job and genuinely fascinating. I don't want to have her children, but I know she's going to be a lot of fun.

We just got a taste of Shirou and Sable, and they just seem to have this cartoon Tracy/Hepburn thing going. I suspect she'll become more human and he'll become more of a warrior, and it will be very, very entertaining. I found that whole "hunger is your enemy" exchange to be very encouraging.

Maybe we are moving at a snail's pace. At the same time, each 24+ minute episode ends awfully quick, and I find myself wanting more. Lots more. I really look forward to each new episode. I know I should download all the episodes, and watch the series one episode after another over a short period of time, but I can't. After just four episodes, I find myself very intrigued and strangely addicted.

Last edited by Maids! Maids! Maids!; 2006-01-29 at 04:08.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 05:09   Link #100
monster

Yep, the pacing of this show just makes me want more of it. But about this episode, I wonder why Saber hesitated when she had the chance to take a swing at Ilya.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote