3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.92%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.92%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-05-02, 14:26   Link #1
LKK

Mahouka - Episode 5 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Mahouka, Episode 5.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2014-05-03, 11:07   Link #2
Ultragunner

Spoiler for ep 5:
Old 2014-05-03, 12:38   Link #3
pampz21
ShipCore

Spoiler for Ep. 5:

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

Old 2014-05-03, 12:49   Link #4
Mentar
Banned

Aaand the next relevant Miyuki scene gutted. Instead, if I'm not mistaken, we got every single Mizuki scene there is, in epic breadth. Meh. The screenwriter must be a total Mizuki fanboy indeed. (Do I have to mention that I consider her the most boring character by far?)

*sigh*

Other than that, I'm fine with the ep. On to the action end of the first arc, and then let's enjoy the kickoff
Old 2014-05-03, 14:35   Link #5
zero7090

oh silly people, you bring guns into a magic school?
Old 2014-05-03, 14:37   Link #6
Wandering Soul

Mizuki having a fangirl moment and watching how evil Tatsuya can be were pretty amusing. For me one of the best parts was Tatsuya thinking of a certain someone. Other than that I have to agree that the episode was too technical to really be exciting.
Old 2014-05-03, 14:49   Link #7
Kakurin
大佐

So that was the lead-up to the finale of the first arc. Tatsuya really can be ruthless, completely fooled the naive Mibu Sayaka. Miyuki as always with jealousy moment.

But damn, those Blanche / Egalite supporters in the forum were owned pretty badly. First in reasoning by Mayumi, then in the application of force by the Disciplinary Committee and Student Council. Hattori showed that he does have some skill. Mari meanwhile just takes out the entire platoon of poor fodder. But it is quite clear that these were diversionary forces. Mibu and that kendo captain are not there.
Old 2014-05-03, 14:49   Link #8
LKK

My favorite moment:
*terrorists burst in wearing gas masks*
*terrorists look around*
*no gas to be seen*
uh....

I'm not sure Blanche truly comprehends how powerful top level magicians are.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2014-05-03, 14:52   Link #9
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
My favorite moment:
*terrorists burst in wearing gas masks*
*terrorists look around*
*no gas to be seen*
uh....

I'm not sure Blanche truly comprehends how powerful top level magicians are.
And then they were suffocated in their own gas masks.

But as I said, I think those were fodder to create a distraction. The real forces are still at large. However, I don't think that they'll be much of a resistance when the top students (and teachers?) unleash on them. So it'll depend on more distraction to buy time to realise their true goal, whatever that may be.
Old 2014-05-03, 14:54   Link #10
millie10468

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post

But damn, those Blanche / Egalite supporters in the forum were owned pretty badly. First in reasoning by Mayumi, then in the application of force by the Disciplinary Committee and Student Council.
I knew it was coming but I was surprised all over again to see them fall for it. Mayumi's speech is a bit too reminiscent of politicians who try to quell a protest before it deteriorates into a full-on riot. It's like using a cup to put out a fire. It might work for a moment, but if the intensity of the fire is high, it will roar back up again. I also think the Course 2 students, even though they know what they don't like, they don't know how to get what they'd like. Hence, they're easily taken in by Mayumi's trite promises that would probably not solve the problem in the long run. All she's technically doing is ensuring that Course 2 students are allowed in the Student Council. Is it me or does that not solve much of the problem at all? It's a step in a good direction but potentially ineffectual

But it might hit an iceberg...
Old 2014-05-03, 15:01   Link #11
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Aaand the next relevant Miyuki scene gutted.
Considering Miyuki's pretty much been the only girl getting her scenes to this point, this is a good thing. I-incest is bad, m'kay?
Old 2014-05-03, 15:03   Link #12
Ickarium

The issue is that's the only real problem with the -system-. Everything else is a social construct brought upon by the students themselves. This isn't something you can just fix with rules.

The issue is there's prejudice and arrogance among the students. Not something you fix by just legislating things. The system is already, other than that one thing, equal - outside teachers which again, isn't something you can just fix if there /are no teachers present/.

Don't believe the rhetoric.
Old 2014-05-03, 15:08   Link #13
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I'm starting to wonder what the studio staff is trying to do at times.
If it wasn't for the fact I read the manga beforehand, I could swear that Miyuki's role is solely for pseudo incest joke that goes overused at this point. I think it is really time for them to give her some perspective/dialogue as the character herself barely has any purpose in the anime.

Beyond the lack of actual explanation with Tatsuya's flaws (which were a bit too discreet if you ask me), I was particularly bugged by the BGM every now and then. Really, ever since ep2, the BGM feel incredibly awkward and not complimenting the scenes associated with them.
Save perhaps those instrumental and calm BGM during the everyday scenes, the more serious and action packed ones are completely whacky in my books, particularly in this episode.

But as far as it goes, the series barely grab my attention. From an action perspective, it is pretty bare in that regard, while in term of world setting, it is lacking due to many shortcuts and whatnot. Instead of mastering one of these aspects (since doing both is a bit tricky for this kind of franchise), it does neither, so I'm not exactly immersed, which kills big time the possible enjoyment I have for this series.
Old 2014-05-03, 15:11   Link #14
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie10468 View Post
Hence, they're easily taken in by Mayumi's trite promises that would probably not solve the problem in the long run.
Those coalition guys fumbled it when they couldn't name a specific example to back up their case of discrimintion imposed by the school itself. Their only example with the clubs was refuted pretty easily by Mayumi. It's no wonder they are easily taken in by Mayumi's word when the other side was as inept as they were.

Sidenote, I guess now we can start to comprehend why Tatsuya's considered a subpar magician, although his combat skills is pretty high. But what is interesting is, what is meant by he was forced to become a magician even though he can't wield magic, like a curse.
Old 2014-05-03, 15:20   Link #15
CatRules
Shipper

Spoiler for Ep. 5:

p.s.2
Spoiler for for bloom/weed stuff:
Old 2014-05-03, 15:33   Link #16
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Considering Miyuki's pretty much been the only girl getting her scenes to this point, this is a good thing.
Hardly. Pretty much every single relevant scene for Miyuki's character and background development has been cut away. Instead we've been treated to 15 times swooning Miyuki and 10 times jealous Miyuki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I'm starting to wonder what the studio staff is trying to do at times.
If it wasn't for the fact I read the manga beforehand, I could swear that Miyuki's role is solely for pseudo incest joke that goes overused at this point. I think it is really time for them to give her some perspective/dialogue as the character herself barely has any purpose in the anime.
THAT! For the love of god, THAT and once more THAT.

I don't know if I'm the only one who feels like it, but when I go through the first volume in thoughts and try to sum up my favorite little scenes, I find out that 80% of them are now missing.

Spoiler for relevant scenes that have been cut:

Those were the most important scenes for character development, in my opinion. And I don't even feel that they were hurrying or trying to save time. There were still many scenes where I feel they could have easily picked up the pace. Throughout the whole Mizuki/Tatsuya scene I was tempted to hiss "come on guys, HURRY UP" through my teeth.

So, it's not as if the conversion was really bad or anything, but they definitely failed to project any sense of urgency throughout most of the episode, and if I didn't know the material at heart, my opinions on especially Miyuki and Mayumi (who I happen to consider the most important characters of the entire show besides Tatsuya) would be COMPLETELY off now.
Old 2014-05-03, 15:35   Link #17
Esclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarium View Post

The issue is there's prejudice and arrogance among the students. Not something you fix by just legislating things. The system is already, other than that one thing, equal - outside teachers which again, isn't something you can just fix if there /are no teachers present/.
Expand class sizes, make the teachers hold night classes, etc. There are plenty of things they can do to allow the weeds to get an equal education. We have government regulations in real life because of issues like this.

Of course, when the people in power aren't particularly bothered by the status quo and there really isn't enough sway to force them into action, there would be no reason for them to try to change anything.
Old 2014-05-03, 15:37   Link #18
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatRules View Post
Spoiler for Ep. 5:
Remember this comment when she shows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
But what is interesting is, what is meant by he was forced to become a magician even though he can't wield magic, like a curse.
That obviously can't be answered without spoilers. If you really want to know, ask on the spoiler-restricted LN forum. You'll be spoiled on that subject, but hopefully nothing else.

Just so you know, answering this is a HUGE spoiler, as would be expected of an obvious MC backstory question. You have been warned.

It's also something that should be answered before the end of the anime adaptation, so I'd suggest waiting. Or you could read the LN and find out yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Instead we've been treated to 15 times swooning Miyuki and 10 times jealous Miyuki.
I've read the LN. It's not been exaggerated much for the anime, if any.

Though they have necessarily removed some of everybody's internal dialogues (otherwise we'd still be in the middle of club week, and the largest complaint would be the five-minute attention span crowd falling asleep), and that last scene you mentioned (anime only readers, see below) was a glaring omission. Added to the fact that they haven't really removed any of the "♪Oniisama~~♥♥♥♪" it's hardly surprising Miyuki seems skewed.

Spoiler for the scene Mentar and I are referencing, from the LN:
Old 2014-05-03, 15:47   Link #19
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hrm... well, not so bad. They are clipping along at a quick pace, but it is not a terrible result.

Also am kinda saddened by the lack of character development of some of characters I am personally fond of, I suppose, but still overall I think they are doing an okay (though not a great) adaptation thus far. Maybe they will get more focus later on?

It was nice to see Mizuki getting some attention, at least. ^^
Old 2014-05-03, 15:50   Link #20
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Outstanding popular entertainment. This show just gets better and better, for me, full of complex characters and energized by action.

The one thing I loathe is being treated to a constant stream of complaints from people who have read the manga and are upset at things that are left out. I really wish you could talk among yourselves and leave an anime-only viewer like myself out of this loop. Some kind of special spoiler tag, perhaps? Not that I blame you for your opinion. I am just expressing my feelings, as you have been. Feel free to ignore them.

Now, since I do find myself in this loop, I'll say I understand your objections to the way Miyuki is being portrayed, but even without any knowledge of the manga, I do not see her as just some kind of incest joke (enjoyable as I do find those moments). Her amazing power, the fact it leaks out when she is upset, and the delicate way that Hayami Saori is portraying her combination of elegance, strength, thoughtfulness and emotionalism, make me think of her as a very strong person and strong character. I keep expecting her to start dominating the scene. No doubt I would be even happier with the character if I had read the manga, but I am willing to wait for her character to burst forth. The fact that it will happen later than in the manga, of course, doesn't bother me.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Closed Thread