AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Re:Zero

Notices

Old 2020-07-09, 16:45   Link #21
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Funny thing is that was real ending to this arc we supposed to have gotten 4 years ago. The first episode in reality was just cleaning up the unintentional loses ends from the arc before it shifts to the next phase. But it works out really in the end.
Pretty sure it was intentional as they weren't positive they'd get a second season when plotting how the first season would go.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-09, 16:56   Link #22
Applehell

For the anime, yeah that makes sense. But for the story it was adapting this part had a bit more to conclude before it was done.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-09, 18:46   Link #23
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoor View Post
Question:
Does anyone know if someone has gone through the first season and mapped only the "true route/forced route" excluding all the "dead ends"?

I wonder if the intent of whatever or whoever is forcing Subaru through this story would become a little more apparent if the actual route taken is all that you see.
The basic intent seems to be keeping Emilia alive and making sure Subaru overcomes whatever imposing threat is in his way, at least that's been my take on it.

I would totally watch "Re:Zero: The Speedrunner" though .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
It would also be really bad for her reputation. News would ultimately get out and she'd be forever tarnished as the noble who got attacked by the witch's cult and cowardly backed down. Who would trust a ruler like that? I can sympathise with Ferris' concerns but I can't sympathise with her acting as any kind of official advisor to Crusch.
Yeah, I'm kind of wondering how they're going to handle Crusch dealing with her royal and professional obligations now since she probably has no idea what to do. Make her re-learn everything she knew about business ?

They should also probably keep her away from the other candidates because they would immediately realize she was off .
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Pretty sure it was intentional as they weren't positive they'd get a second season when plotting how the first season would go.
The reaction to that ending if it had been left in the original broadcast and without an immediate second season announcement would've been epic .
Old 2020-07-10, 08:57   Link #24
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Pretty good episode as everyone else already said why so I'm not gonna parrot it.

But if there's one negative direction/writing that I personally need to take from this episode is how some characters keep stroking Subaru's ego to the point of worship. After Crusch's long-winded compliment of Subaru at the end of S1, now we have Rem's exclamation while she was fighting real scary enemies. When Rem was prattling about how super-duper-alpha-ultra-omega awesome Subaru was, I got the hibbie-jibbies not from something scary but from an extreme cringe that I have ever experienced in a while.

I know it's not technically wrong to hype up your MC via other characters, but I wish the writer could've made it less cringy. Just my humble opinion. But hey, Rem's KO'd now and Crusch lost her memory so that will (hopefully) reduce the number of Subaru ego-stroking in the following episodes. A man can wish.

Also, not impressed with the two new Deadly Sins so far. Looks like nobody's gonna dethrone FMA's Seven Deadly Sins overall villain-group any time soon.
Old 2020-07-10, 10:59   Link #25
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Pretty good episode as everyone else already said why so I'm not gonna parrot it.

But if there's one negative direction/writing that I personally need to take from this episode is how some characters keep stroking Subaru's ego to the point of worship. After Crusch's long-winded compliment of Subaru at the end of S1, now we have Rem's exclamation while she was fighting real scary enemies. When Rem was prattling about how super-duper-alpha-ultra-omega awesome Subaru was, I got the hibbie-jibbies not from something scary but from an extreme cringe that I have ever experienced in a while.

I know it's not technically wrong to hype up your MC via other characters, but I wish the writer could've made it less cringy. Just my humble opinion. But hey, Rem's KO'd now and Crusch lost her memory so that will (hopefully) reduce the number of Subaru ego-stroking in the following episodes. A man can wish.

Also, not impressed with the two new Deadly Sins so far. Looks like nobody's gonna dethrone FMA's Seven Deadly Sins overall villain-group any time soon.
I think it made sense from the perspective of Rem as a character. It's pretty well established by now that she is absolutely 100% in love with and in full belief of Subaru as a person, and that he's her hero who she believes can accomplish anything.

After what's happened to him Subaru has such a low opinion of himself and what he's capable of that I think he needs someone to believe in him and what he can do just to some extent get him to actually try. Which I guess is Emilia now. It will probably be balanced enough with him failing and dying.

I'm curious if these two are going to take as much time to deal with as Petelgeuse.
Old 2020-07-10, 17:03   Link #26
Applehell

Rem, I can get, but just you are gonna have accept she very smitten. She's shown that with Ram she cares a very heavy love towards the people she cares about so not just Subaru. She not the most emotionally stable character.

I don't agree on Crusch, at least coming from the rewatch.

Her praise of Subaru was appropriate for his actions then especially after his humiliation at royal selection ceremony. While she did shelter him so that Ferris could repair his gate as establish with her contract with Emilia, the 3 days Subaru spent with her where he did nothing but drown in his depression would never suggest he was capable doing everything he did from ep 19-21.

He helped her accomplished a goal she sought out to do for her candidacy and a long standing wish of her valued retainer Wilhelm. While bringing down the White Whale was a team effort the battle happening at all along with the turning of its tide when things went south was only possible because of Subaru. He was literally the weakest person the field but he fought just as hard or harder than anyone else there regardless of the lack fighting skill.

Even with that Crusch didn't call him the greatest hero she ever seen or anything so grandiose tho, it was just genuine appreciation & recognition of the debt she owed him. Given her normal demeanor she is last person to give undue praise unless she means it.

Last edited by Applehell; 2020-07-11 at 02:20.
Old 2020-07-11, 01:41   Link #27
moridin84
Custom User Title

Damn, Crusch is so cool even after losing her memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
... it's an important balance with what happens in the failed resets.

Rem killed him before. She would have killed him a second time but Ram mercy killed him while Rem was torturing him.

As for Crusch and Felis, they despised Subaru.

The ones that treat him the best now are the ones that treated him the worse. Excluding Emila and Puck. And.... actually Puck killed him once too.

As a comparison to Rem, Ram has treated Suburu fairly consistently through all the resets, excluding when she thought he killed Rem. So he doesn't get much praise from her.

Last edited by moridin84; 2020-07-11 at 01:59.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-11, 03:05   Link #28
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
And.... actually Puck killed him once too.
Actually in that arc, Puck killed him every single time except the last one
Old 2020-07-11, 08:58   Link #29
Ultragunner

did they fix/reattach Crusch's arm? That's one hell of a surgery there considering the arm was blasted right off from the body and it was laying on the ground for...maybe hours?
Old 2020-07-11, 10:47   Link #30
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
As for Crusch and Felis, they despised Subaru.
I don't think they despised him. The only person I can think of who despised him was Priscilla in that one route where he tried to get her help. They just didn't have a very high opinion of him because he was acting so out-of-sorts and pathetic.
Old 2020-07-11, 18:54   Link #31
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
did they fix/reattach Crusch's arm? That's one hell of a surgery there considering the arm was blasted right off from the body and it was laying on the ground for...maybe hours?
It's magic, ain't got to explain shit.
Old 2020-07-11, 20:24   Link #32
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's magic, ain't got to explain shit.
lmao, that ain't far from the truth.

To be more specific Ferris healed it up with healing magic from water mana which specializes in recovering physical wounds. It can't regenerate something that's been destroyed or lost but it can reattach a body part something as long as still exist. That said only highly skilled users can do that.
Old 2020-07-13, 08:17   Link #33
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Preview for Episode 27 (Season 2 Episode 2), featuring guest star narrator Petelgeuse. SPOILERS obviously.

Edit:

Opening

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Tokkan; 2020-07-15 at 10:26.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-15, 14:36   Link #34
Irenesharda

Re Zero2 Ep2

I honestly liked this episode a lot better than the first. There was less action, but instead, we got a lot more plot with a lot of information for possible theories later. My favorite part by far has to be Subaru and Beatrice's talk. Her reaction to seeing the Gospel was totally unexpected and something we've never seen from her. She's usually so apathetic, but seeing how she responded to not only the book but to Betelguese's death was really surprising. She even had a nickname for him in "Guese" leading me to think they were friends at one time?! Well, that was definitely unexpected.

Getting to meet Frederica for the first time, it was interesting that she ended up tricking them according to Roswaal's instructions, I'm guessing as a test for Emilia? And yet, Emilia got taken out of the equation because Subaru took off her necklace too soon. And so now we meet Echidna, the Witch of Greed. I was sure she was Satella from the way she looks like Emilia, but perhaps ALL the witches look alike? I wonder why Echidna is not nearly as infamous as Satella? I forgot the story they told us of the witches back in season 1. I might have to read up on that. Really good episode to get the plot going.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-15, 14:57   Link #35
Kakurin
大佐

With the character voiced by Sakamoto Maaya turning out to be Echidna and not Satella as some have previously surmised, it throws some of the theories floating around between the connection of Emilia and Satella and Puck right out of the window.
Old 2020-07-15, 14:58   Link #36
ComaPrison

So I gave the first handful of season 1 episodes a try when it was first airing, but couldn't get over that the main character has an IQ probably around 60, so I stopped. Now that there's a director's cut I tried giving it a watch again. I am running into the same trouble with the main character and it makes it hard for me to want to continue again. What is the deal with this? Is this guy what passes for average IQ in Japan? Or is he intentionally written to be really low IQ? I am not joking or trolling, I am seriously asking because he is making it really difficult to continue watching. I love the concept and the setting, but his character design and scripting is just....too bad. The fact that they make peanut gallery dialogue and monologue drag on in the middle of a life and death battle is equally ridiculous. Okay. I have had it. Can't even finish director's cut episode 2.

Last edited by ComaPrison; 2020-07-15 at 15:33.
ComaPrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-15, 18:11   Link #37
Frontier

It's nice to see Crusch get a good sendoff from the Emilia camp. With Crusch's old personality being what it was and the Royal Selection, I'm not sure if they could have so warmly said farewells to each other before, so maybe something positive can come out of her memory loss .

And Subaru gets to keep his loyal steed Patrasche! That's a win all-around .

It is kind of selfish to say you equally love two women at the same time, but somehow I can't fault Subaru for it given how earnest he is about and what those girls have done for him .

Way to ruin the mood Otto .

We lose Rem but gain another good-looking and steadfast maid in Frederica, who was apparently the loyal Roswaal retainer who taught the twins everything they know. On-top of that she has such a serene and soothing voice courtesy of Kaori Nazuka. I am really curious what "personal business" kept her way from so long .

So apparently without Rem's existence the upkeep of the mansion has gone down the drain, so Ram had to call back Frederica. It's just really weird to see how the universe has had to "adjust" itself after what Gluttony did to Rem. And, seriously, how are they going to explain all this to Ram? I don't envy that talk .

I have so many questions about Beatrice and her connection to what's going on now. Not only did she apparently know Petelgeuse, enough to where she had an affectionate nickname for him and seemed shaken that Subaru killed him, but she seems to know way more about the Witch and her cult than she let on before (even down to the fact that Petelgeuse was Sloth and that was his gospel Subaru had) .

Emilia sings Subaru's praises when he's not around? That's sweet. Maybe Subaru's efforts are paying off more than he realized ?

Petra! In a maid outfit! And she looked absolutely adorable. The Roswaal Manor has found a new super-cute maid to work there. Petra's earnestness is still super-endearing, and her little "lady's favor" to Subaru when they saw him and Emilia off was really sweet .

Roswaal seems to have planned for everything, right down to sending off Subaru and Emilia to Sanctuary. Was the plan for Emilia to face off with Echidna and Subaru got in the way? Emilia fainted right afterwards, so was that supposed to happen? And where the heck is Puck ?

Of course, in true Re:Zero fashion, nothing is ever so simple as our heroes' quest to Sanctuary gets interrupted and teleport's Subaru somewhere else (unless that is Sanctuary), where he stumbles upon a pink-haired elf girl and none other than the Witch of Greed, Echidna. I guess we now know why Beako was expecting Subaru to finally get some answers, because who better to explain it to him but a Witch like Satella ?

When I saw most of the initial promotion for season 2, I thought Echidna was actually Satella given how much she looks like an older Emilia, but I guess she doesn't have the elf ears like Emilia/Satella do. I'm really curious to see what Echidna's deal is and what she's after, because I don't think someone becomes a "Witch" if they're naturally a good person. I wouldn't be surprised if she gives Subaru some answers but strings him along for her own gain. I've learned better than to trust sexy, regal, and smiling adult women voiced by Maaya Sakamoto .

Konomi Suzuki returns for another exciting Opening! With plenty of new scenes to leave viewers guessing at the content of this season. We have images of Tokyo and what I assume are Subaru's parents (flashbacks?), a chronicling of all of Subaru's major deaths up to this point, the Sin Archbishops (with a new blue-haired girl and Elsa, so does that make them Wrath and Lust respectively?), Federica and some blonde dude, and of course Subaru charging forward to save those he cares about no matter how many times he has to die. All the while Echidna appears to be watching over everything with a smile on her face .
Old 2020-07-15, 18:52   Link #38
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Both the animation and song of the OP are really cool. I can only hope Subaru will be like he is in this OP the whole season, never stopping and always forging ahead.

I didn't remember the fact there used to be another maid around until recently. She seems nice enough.

Most interesting part of the episode, besides Echidna showing up at the end, was Beatrice's reveal that she knew Betelgeuse pretty well. She said some really intriguing things, like asking Subaru why he even killed him in the first place. She kinda implied one could get something from killing an Archbishop, and there's no point in killing one if you're not after it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
And so now we meet Echidna, the Witch of Greed. I was sure she was Satella from the way she looks like Emilia, but perhaps ALL the witches look alike? I wonder why Echidna is not nearly as infamous as Satella? I forgot the story they told us of the witches back in season 1. I might have to read up on that. Really good episode to get the plot going.
We were told Satella killed all the other witches, which makes Echnidna's existence very puzzling. Maybe the witches get replaced by someone else when they are killed?
Old 2020-07-15, 19:15   Link #39
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Both the animation and song of the OP are really cool. I can only hope Subaru will be like he is in this OP the whole season, never stopping and always forging ahead.
He doesn't have much choice if he's to live up to Rem's expectations of him .
Quote:
We were told Satella killed all the other witches, which makes Echnidna's existence very puzzling. Maybe the witches get replaced by someone else when they are killed?
I'm curious what the relationship between the Witches and the Archbishops is since the Archbishops all seem driven by Satella rather than the other Witches. Maybe it has to do with that "Witch Factor" ?
Old 2020-07-15, 19:50   Link #40
Wandering Soul

I already liked the song for the OP and now I can say I like the animation for it too.

This episode raised plenty of questions about the witch cult and it's members. Beatrice revealed that she knew Betelgeuse which raise questions of their history. She also revealed the existence of something called a witch factor. It may not be something well known considering no one in the alliance brought it up either.

Echidna showing up is one interesting cliffhanger to end things on.