3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2019-03-21, 09:37   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Re:Zero - 2nd OVA Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Re:Zero, 2nd OVA.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the OVA if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
2nd OVA Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-21, 09:47   Link #2
LKK

According to ANN:

Quote:
The official website for the Re:Zero anime revealed on Thursday that the planned theatrical screenings of the second original video anime (OVA) episode for the franchise are slated to debut this fall. The website also revealed a teaser visual for the OVA.

The episode will be titled "Hyōketsu no Kizuna" (Frozen Bonds), and will adapt the meeting between Emilia and Pack. The original Re:Zero Kara Hajimeru Zenjitsu-tan: Hyōketsu no Kizuna prequel novel was included with the first Blu-ray Disc home video release of the television anime series in Japan.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-23, 04:22   Link #3
Applehell

Frozen Bonds PV

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-23, 09:21   Link #4
Kakurin
大佐

I hope I'll make it in time for the screening again.
Old 2019-03-28, 08:15   Link #5
Applehell

The official twitter announced yesterday that the PV has 1 million views in 4 days since it was uploaded.

https://twitter.com/Rezero_official/...48103643758592

The S2 PV is nearing 2 million views as we speak.
Old 2019-12-18, 16:56   Link #6
Applehell

Seems like the 2nd OVA was quite the success to the point a special music video play the theme song was put out.

Wish CR would say something about this and Memory Snow getting licensed, sigh.
Old 2019-12-18, 17:02   Link #7
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Seems like the 2nd OVA was quite the success to the point a special music video play the theme song was put out.

Wish CR would say something about this and Memory Snow getting licensed, sigh.
It was great. Although I wouldn't call it an OVA.
Old 2019-12-18, 17:06   Link #8
Applehell

Hmm? You mean it's more of full-length feature movie?
Old 2020-04-03, 16:32   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm surprised they made this as an OVA because it feels like it's extremely important to the greater plot. In fact, I'm even more surprised to read above it's a prequel novel that was released with the BDs.

This OVA made me realize we didn't know anything about Emilia. This fleshed her out a lot. Tons of hints were dropped too. I was wondering who the woman voiced by Maaya Sakamoto was, and it became increasingly obvious over the course of the story that she is Satella. So Puck was protecting Emilia on her orders and was told not to get too close to her. He also had a contract with Satella, he actually used a different word for it (seiyaku?)which I guess means it's more binding than a regular contract. Fire horse believed Emilia is the reincarnation of the witch, and I don't think there's a solid reason to doubt him since he seemed to know his shit. Emilia obviously isn't Satella herself, but I guess she's meant to be her new body.

On an emotional level, this was really good too. Puck and Emilia's relationship is heartwarming.

Really loved this.
Old 2020-04-04, 06:22   Link #10
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Emilia obviously isn't Satella herself, but I guess she's meant to be her new body.
That kind of goes along with what Betelegeuse was saying during a few of the loops, too.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-04, 20:40   Link #11
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm surprised they made this as an OVA because it feels like it's extremely important to the greater plot. In fact, I'm even more surprised to read above it's a prequel novel that was released with the BDs.

This OVA made me realize we didn't know anything about Emilia. This fleshed her out a lot. Tons of hints were dropped too. I was wondering who the woman voiced by Maaya Sakamoto was, and it became increasingly obvious over the course of the story that she is Satella. So Puck was protecting Emilia on her orders and was told not to get too close to her. He also had a contract with Satella, he actually used a different word for it (seiyaku?)which I guess means it's more binding than a regular contract. Fire horse believed Emilia is the reincarnation of the witch, and I don't think there's a solid reason to doubt him since he seemed to know his shit. Emilia obviously isn't Satella herself, but I guess she's meant to be her new body.

On an emotional level, this was really good too. Puck and Emilia's relationship is heartwarming.

Really loved this.
Just finished catching it myself and as who was anticipating it was great. Lots of foreshadowing in it for 2nd season too. Its definitely a good lead in for it.
Old 2020-04-25, 00:08   Link #12
Crusch's_Keeper
Lunatic

I just watched it last week. I don't know exactly what short story this corresponds to, (I know it's not an ex volume of the LN) but it's interesting to know a bit about the time between when Emilia was first unfrozen and when she met Roswaal. Still doesn't reveal very much about her backstory
Spoiler:
Crusch's_Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-30, 20:33   Link #13
Applehell

Crunchyroll has it up now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusch's_Keeper View Post
I just watched it last week. I don't know exactly what short story this corresponds to, (I know it's not an ex volume of the LN) but it's interesting to know a bit about the time between when Emilia was first unfrozen and when she met Roswaal. Still doesn't reveal very much about her backstory
Spoiler:
Frozen Bond is a prequel that takes place 8 years before the main story. It adaption of a bonus novel that came with first BD of S1 and deal with how Emilia met Puck and her life prior to meeting Roswaal and becoming a candidate.

Book in question:
Old 2020-04-30, 22:07   Link #14
Frontier

Was Maaya Sakamoto supposed to be voicing those illustrations of Puck's "orders" that they kept flashing back to? I heard she was supposed to be in this but I don't recall hearing her at all watching the version on Crunchyroll. I'd like to think I'd recognize her voice .

Man, Emilia had it rough even before Subaru had to keep preventing her death. Living on her own in a forest of eternal snow, having to take care of her frozen people, getting by on scraps of food, shunned and feared just for how she looks, and with a power she sometimes can barely control. On-top of all that, she has as little idea what's going on as Subaru does. And in-spite of all that she is still such a diligent, upright, and heroic girl no matter how many people shun and belittle her. It's not easy being Emilia .

Did Emilia's powers go haywire and freeze everyone in her village? She seemed to get some flashbacks to the other elves before they were frozen. She was apparently exempt because she caused it and Satella needed her for a new body, I guess? I'm really curious about the exact nature of her birth, and Satella's involvement, and who her parents are. One of them had to have been some kind of royalty to qualify her for the royal selection .

So the elves were involved in some kind of demihuman war that ended with them as second class citizens? Was Satella involved at all? Is the village Emilia is taking care of the last of the elves ?

Melaquera? Is he some kind of ominiscient world defense system against the possibility of Satella being revived or the effect of Emilia's powers? I wonder if they really destroyed him or if he still exists in some form? Not that I'd try to remember him like Emilia did .

"The Beast of the End?" Well, I guess that explains why Puck's go-to move after Emilia's death is try and destroy the world .

Puck intimidating a crime boss into giving up one of his goons was surreal, but awesome. Almost as surreal and awesome as snowboarding Emilia .

Wow, I knew she was adept with magic but it was pretty awesome seeing Emilia is quick and adept at hand-to-hand too .

We got topless Emilia for five seconds! And nude Emilia !

So from the sounds of Puck's original orders, the closer he gets to Emilia the more he loses his sense of self and his memories? We haven't seen much of that now but I guess Puck probably wouldn't show it even if it was effecting him. He cares about Emilia that much .

Did Puck know Emilia as a child and she just doesn't remember it after she was awakened? It seemed like Emilia has memory issues and Puck a closer relation then having just met her afterwards. Is it connected to Satella ?

I honestly think Subaru's biggest rival/obstacle for Emilia's affection...is Puck. I mean, yeah, he's her "Father," but he managed to get Emilia to say "I love you" and Subaru could only hope to match the level of dedication and absolute love Puck holds for Emilia .

It was nice to see the OVA end with Subaru and the gang greeting Emilia, showing how far Emilia and Puck have come since then and that Emilia has found other people who cherish and support her. Subaru may not be Puck, but he does know how to make Emilia happy and to say the right thing every once in a while .
Old 2020-05-01, 00:01   Link #15
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Was Maaya Sakamoto supposed to be voicing those illustrations of Puck's "orders" that they kept flashing back to? I heard she was supposed to be in this but I don't recall hearing her at all watching the version on Crunchyroll. I'd like to think I'd recognize her voice .
CR got the theater version that didn't have it sadly.

Quote:
Man, Emilia had it rough even before Subaru had to keep preventing her death. Living on her own in a forest of eternal snow, having to take care of her frozen people, getting by on scraps of food, shunned and feared just for how she looks, and with a power she sometimes can barely control. On-top of all that, she has as little idea what's going on as Subaru does. And in-spite of all that she is still such a diligent, upright, and heroic girl no matter how many people shun and belittle her. It's not easy being Emilia.
Yep, her life was similar to Felt, but worse.

Quote:
Did Emilia's powers go haywire and freeze everyone in her village? She seemed to get some flashbacks to the other elves before they were frozen. She was apparently exempt because she caused it and Satella needed her for a new body, I guess? I'm really curious about the exact nature of her birth, and Satella's involvement, and who her parents are. One of them had to have been some kind of royalty to qualify her for the royal selection .
She ended up being frozen too tho and she only got out because Puck freed her. So that's unlikely.

Quote:
So the elves were involved in some kind of demihuman war that ended with them as second class citizens? Was Satella involved at all? Is the village Emilia is taking care of the last of the elves ?
The civil war the OVA is referring to one that happen 40 years before the main story. Re:Zero Ex 2 deals with that.

Quote:
Melaquera? Is he some kind of ominiscient world defense system against the possibility of Satella being revived or the effect of Emilia's powers? I wonder if they really destroyed him or if he still exists in some form? Not that I'd try to remember him like Emilia did .
Sadly the OVA cut some context behind him including his backstory. He's one of 4 Great Spirits of world who holds the seat of fire. He's just powerful spirit like Puck.

Incidentally also left out of the OVA, Puck became the Great Spirit of Fire after defeating him.

Quote:
Puck intimidating a crime boss into giving up one of his goons was surreal, but awesome. Almost as surreal and awesome as snowboarding Emilia .
Yeah, people who know who he is tend to freakout lol

Quote:
So from the sounds of Puck's original orders, the closer he gets to Emilia the more he loses his sense of self and his memories? We haven't seen much of that now but I guess Puck probably wouldn't show it even if it was effecting him. He cares about Emilia that much .
Yep. He's definitely affect, but that only made clear in the epilogue which wasn't adapted.

Quote:
I honestly think Subaru's biggest rival/obstacle for Emilia's affection...is Puck. I mean, yeah, he's her "Father," but he managed to get Emilia to say "I love you" and Subaru could only hope to match the level of dedication and absolute love Puck holds for Emilia .
lmao, he really doesn't have worry about Puck tho

Quote:
It was nice to see the OVA end with Subaru and the gang greeting Emilia, showing how far Emilia and Puck have come since then and that Emilia has found other people who cherish and support her. Subaru may not be Puck, but he does know how to make Emilia happy and to say the right thing every once in a while .
Indeed! It also recontextualizes what Emilia said during their reconciliation at end of S1 and even their argument in ep 13. Not to mention small things like how she avoided people as much as she could.