4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.15%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-07-31, 14:04   Link #21
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

fucking hell man, was crying like a little girl the entire episode... I still don't get why he likes Emilia so much, I mean wtf, I just don't get it.

Rem literally gave the best confession I've ever heard in any work of fiction, only to turn out like this? >_>
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 14:09   Link #22
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Oh is that so. So I wasn't wrong when I guessed everyone was trolling the previous episode threads by tacking some moral high ground knowing that the show would "justify" your stance regardless of what you wrote.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Also sorry to inform you, the show pretty much confirmed (not that if it didn't say it or said it otherwise would have made a difference), that thinking of giving up is stupid and fruitless (early in the episode by Rem), that Subaru is an idiot (his own words), that Subaru wasn't actually suffering from any mental problems other then self inflicted ones (his own words and the final moments with Puck). I think you all might have read your spoilers wrong, or in the novel its different.

I guess it's still too early to tell if that was all there was to the "redemption" angle; though it's pretty much a wash already for me. Felt sorry for Rem but the occasional Subaru moments showing all the things that he supposedly did (that in the actual episodes was just him screaming; missing novel material?) mostly sullied the scenes. His charming "I actually like Emilia" at the end was also the cherry on the cake.

Let's see what this deus ex machina we get next week is about.
Don't insult the show. At no point did one need spoilers of future events to empathize with Subaru. No one ever said he should give, everyone knew he was idiot, and mental problems was an umbrella term for emotional trauma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Gah, that's true =0|. It still stings a little knowing how much Rem bared herself, but yeah, being on the same page with their feelings definitely will nix any painful misunderstandings later on(and hopefully will make them even closer as well).
Don't let it get to you. She confessed to help him pull his shit together, not so he'd reciprocate her feelings. If you want to smack him because he's still in love with Emilia after all this then I'm with you.
Old 2016-07-31, 14:09   Link #23
Wandering Soul

I was really looking forward to this episode and that one line, and I was not disappointed. Wasn't expecting it to take up the entire episode, but that's okay.

Regardless of how you feel about Subaru's choice in women, you have to at least respect how he was honest with Rem about he feels and not just jerk her around for several episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Did anyone else cry?
I started to tear up. This episode hit me hard.
Old 2016-07-31, 14:11   Link #24
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingDarkKnight View Post
This episode was beautiful. So many tears were shed today . Rem is too precious. Every man needs a girl like her.

Also when Rem started crying when Subaru hugged her at the end of the episode, was Rem crying because Subaru rejected her or because the Subaru she loved the most had come back?

I would like to think it was the latter, but it can also be something else entirely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
...Ow. my heart. Why? Why does this hurt so much?

What does he see in Emilia that Rem doesn't have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
fucking hell man, was crying like a little girl the entire episode... I still don't get why he likes Emilia so much, I mean wtf, I just don't get it.

Rem literally gave the best confession I've ever heard in any work of fiction, only to turn out like this? >_>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
I started to tear up. This episode hit me hard.
For all who have shed tears, please remember to rehydrate yourselves afterwards.
Old 2016-07-31, 14:14   Link #25
AB079
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
The episode was brilliant in a lot of ways. The voice acting by both Kobayashi and Minase at the forefront, really managed to convey the emotions of those scenes, brilliant. And Rem pretty much sealed her spot as the best character in Re:Zero.

Although I have to mention that the last few minutes left a sour taste. First of all with Subaru just blatantly stating that he likes Emilia, which frankly at this stage I consider rather superficial. And second, after all that talk, all that self-depreciation, he talks about becoming the greatest hero ever? The hell? Modesty is not in his vocabulary, huh.
To overcome all this mess Subaru first need to accept who he really is, and all that dialogue where he literally hated himself is exactly that, accepting the piece of shit he really is.

The second step to finally end all this nightmare is rejecting his past, which means, rejecting who he really is and transform himself into a new person. What this episode stated is how Subaru did this process and started from zero, that's why he wants to become a Hero, someone who can be the man of Rem's dreams and the guy who can give Emilia the happiness she deserve.

On a side note, some people really needs to rewatch the first 10 episodes, Emilia did exactly the same as Subaru and if nobody remember she was his first love, that's not something you can forget.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 14:19   Link #26
Wandering Soul

Quote:

. And second, after all that talk, all that self-depreciation, he talks about becoming the greatest hero ever? The hell? Modesty is not in his vocabulary, huh.
First step to fixing a problem is acknowledging it. He acknowledged that he was a terrible person throughout this arc and even a little bit before then, now he can take the steps he needs to become the "greatest hero ever".
Old 2016-07-31, 14:22   Link #27
larethian

What can I say? It's a beautiful episode with really great lines accompanied by a fitting bgm (+ Minase's song) . It's hard to think that a guy can write such stirring lines that expressed the feelings perfectly from Rem's perspective.

And finally Rem breaking down into tears at the rejection T_T
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 14:24   Link #28
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
First step to fixing a problem is acknowledging it. He acknowledged that he was a terrible person throughout this arc and even a little bit before then, now he can take the steps he needs to become the "greatest hero ever".
You know, he could've targeted some minor steps first, like becoming generally useful for others, working to become a better team player, seeing the dynamics. Instead he's gunning for me=greatest hero again.
Old 2016-07-31, 14:25   Link #29
bakato

Quote:
You know, he could've targeted some minor steps first, like becoming generally useful for others, working to become a better team player, seeing the dynamics. Instead he's gunning for me=hero again.
Nothing wrong with aiming high.
Old 2016-07-31, 14:29   Link #30
Wandering Soul

Quote:
You know, he could've targeted some minor steps first, like becoming generally useful for others, working to become a better team player, seeing the dynamics. Instead he's gunning for me=greatest hero again.
Well as long as he's making goals, I guess he may as well aim for the sky.
Old 2016-07-31, 14:30   Link #31
Twi

Quote:
Little is an overstatement, I'm pretty sure the exact number of times she had development is 0.
And given there are only 8 or so episodes left, there's only a handful of ways that they can fix that in that time. If the author was aiming for Emilia to be the main love interest, he shouldn't have dedicated such development to Rem.
Old 2016-07-31, 14:31   Link #32
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
As you say I think discussing with other people coming from spoiler land is ruining the show for you. At least I'm sad to see you so dejected about it specially after you seem to be more enthusiastic about it earlier on. If it was me I'd ban novels/spoiler readers from even participating in these threads aside from general impressions, but such is life.
Unfortunately I agree with your assessment. Like you imply I think the overly protective posts of every single flaw Subaru has probably made me more overly critical when watching then I would normally be for another show with similar character—especially given what kind of episodes we got after the "determined eyes" cliffhanger a few episodes back.

Oh well. At least now I know first hand where the hate for "fanboys" comes from. Gained something from the "discussion" at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I'd suggest you to just take a step back and take the series for what it is. You know it's getting bad when you are using terms like deus ex machina, but I'm almost sure Zeus won't be coming down to save the day next episode.
It's fine, fortunately as I said in earlier threads I like everything else, Rem, the settings, etc. I don't really care if it ends in a deus ex machina. It's actually more exiting this way since maybe it will be interesting purely from a writing perspective (enjoyable or not).

Will probably just say away form these threads and the re:zero forum, since non-Subaru discussions don't really seem to take off anyway.
Old 2016-07-31, 14:32   Link #33
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Quote:
Am I the only one that feels that Emilia is more of a plot device than a character?
Yes.
(10 characters)
Old 2016-07-31, 14:36   Link #34
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Nothing wrong with aiming high.
Quote:
Well as long as he's making goals, I guess he may as well aim for the sky.
There is a difference between aiming high and being overbearing. Know thy limits. It's a good rule to not only keep you alive, but also those around you who have to pick up the mess if you screw up. If from now on he manages to act responsibly, fine. If he tries to act like some superhero it will all go down the drain again.
Old 2016-07-31, 14:37   Link #35
SeaDoor

Just when I start tiring of how the story is being told, this series steps up with an episode like this. I thought it was magnificent. Rem is pretty much a shoo-in for waifu of the year, huh.

My only concern about Subaru's development in this episode is that he might have jumped from Sloth to Pride.
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 14:41   Link #36
Twi

The only problem I have with Emelia is that she doesn't have much agency as a character. Things happen to her rather than her doing things.
Old 2016-07-31, 14:44   Link #37
AB079
Banned

Quote:
There is a difference between aiming high and being overbearing. Know thy limits. It's a good rule to not only keep you alive, but also those around you who have to pick up the mess if you screw up. If from now on he manages to act responsibly, fine. If he tries to act like some superhero it will all go down the drain again.
So you literally didn't understood this episode at all.

Subaru is not aiming high anymore, he acknowledge his weakness in the way he can improve the situation being realistic, even the entire dialogue shows you that. "I want to be a Hero" is just a way to say "this time I won't mess up".
Old 2016-07-31, 14:51   Link #38
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
Subaru is not aiming high anymore, he acknowledge his weakness in the way he can improve the situation being realistic, even the entire dialogue shows you that. "I want to be a Hero" is just a way to say "this time I won't mess up".
If you took you time reading the post instead of hurrying to the keyboard you'd know that "aiming high" aren't my words. As for the other thing, yeah, it's just Subaru's style to go with show-offish language, but it remains to be seen how much he's truly changed when he runs into the first major crisis which knowing the series will be soon. Frankly, even if it's just rhetorical, I don't like the approach to it. His language until now was just an extension of his personality.
Old 2016-07-31, 14:56   Link #39
DemonneoPT

My gawd Subaru.. just marry Rem already..lol. Beautiful dialogue indeed. Rem once again being amazing! Some may argue Subaru was too cruel by saying he loves Emilia after what Rem just did for him, including admiting she loves him but, truth to be told, a guy can't control his "heart" and if he likes another girl he should say it from the beggining and not taking advantage of her feelings. He is not obligated to stay with Rem if he only sees her as a precious friend and being honest about it was the manliest thing he could ever do. And even after that Rem accepted it with a smile on her face... now i understand why the LN/manga readers like her so much (i though it was just because of her childish design ). She really outdid herself in this episode.

And i think Subaru was too harsh on himself. He kinda looked like those guys here in the thread that were constantly criticizing him..lol. True he was a nobody, an useless nerd, does not have the strengh, super magic or the brightest mind and failed miserably in saving people from the cult but at least he tried to do something even tho he is as average as it can get. Like Rem said, he is an hero able to put his life on the line to save people even tho he is weak! He endured all kinds of nasty stuff and died so many times when he could just go away after episode 1 as i would.
The emotional trauma he had after coming to Lugunica was enough to send most people to a madhouse. So, give yourself some credit Subaru and listen to what Rem just said.

And what about Puck? Sure he was enraged but his last sentence he said to Subaru was really suspicious... why would he repeat Betelgeuse's trademark?
And the Whale is Gluttony or some of the Gluttony Witch creations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Unfortunately I agree with your assessment. Like you imply I think the overly protective posts of every single flaw Subaru has probably made me more overly critical when watching then I would normally be for another show with similar character—especially given what kind of episodes we got after the "determined eyes" cliffhanger a few episodes back.

Oh well. At least now I know first hand where the hate for "fanboys" comes from. Gained something from the "discussion" at least.
That makes no sense. I do not even read the LN novels (since i hate reading books) yet i was able to form a different opinion of Subaru compared to yours. If i'm a fanboy because i disagree with you, should i call you an hater? That's not how it works. The show already gave tons of hints as to why Subaru acts the way he acts and people just interpreted it in their own way. And this episode was all about that and addressed a lot of topics discussed here in the forum. If you are not ready to accept different views then yes, you should actually stay away from these threads like you suggested.

Last edited by DemonneoPT; 2016-07-31 at 15:07.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 15:01   Link #40
AB079
Banned

Quote:
If you took you time reading the post instead of hurrying to the keyboard you'd know that "aiming high" aren't my words. As for the other thing, yeah, it's just Subaru's style to go with show-offish language, but it remains to be seen how much he's truly changed when he runs into the first major crisis which knowing the series will be soon. Frankly, even if it's just rhetorical, I don't like the approach to it. His language until now was just an extension of his personality.
Yes I read your post, and as other 2 members before I'm telling you why you're wrong. Bakato said "there is nothing wrong with aiming high" which is what anyone can take from your own post, so instead of being salty try to understand what others said.

Don't know if is just me but did you noticed every time Subaru started to scream and moaning like an idiot saying he's going to fix all this mess he always ended on failing but not when it was needed, like the fight in the forest against the beasts, and since then this is the first time I see him on that situation again. That being said I think this is it, this is the time where Subaru is finally do everything right.