Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-04-29, 04:09   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Mahouka - Episodes 1-3 Discussion

Welcome to the discussion thread for Mahouka, Episodes 1-3.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2014-05-24, 02:12   Link #2
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Episode 1: Enrollment Part 1

The whole episode is an introduction, that's to be said. What happened way back is told in a short segment, and now we're in a school that teaches magic to "students with potential". Of course, like in traditional Japanese education, discrimination is almost an inevitable aspect of late 21st Century education. Even with hindsight, Tatsuya is clearly a soldier amongst the student body — he is well-rounded in a different way than others, and he is, for some reason, cautious about how other people act near him. Au contraire, his brocon-of-a-sister Miyuki is comfortable with Blooms and Weeds alike, but her control over her powers to lower temperatures to extremes leaves little to be desired.

Question: I assume that having a number in your name, like 1,000 for Chiba, 4 for Shiba, and 7 for Saegusa, is something important. Oh wait, Kokonoe has 9 in his surname, right?
Question: Can one use magic to record information (i.e., take notes) the way Miyuki cleaned her and Tatsuya's clothes? (Honestly, it's much better to use a keyboard. )

Episode 2: Enrollment Part 2

The "circle of friends" is formed, and they discovered that being a student in First High isn't a privilege given to just about anyone, if the previous statement of "students with potential" isn't clue enough. To add, it seems that more people are recognizing Tatsuya's other abilities, starting with his circle of friends, then with Mari and the Student Council. (I'm not sure if Mayumi has other plans for Miyuki and Tatsuya.) The soldier that tries to keep a low profile is suddenly given a duty that puts him (...or rather his skills, due to the spirit of meritocracy?) in the spotlight. Although he refuses, for the sake of Miyuki's reputation, he swiftly defeats his staunch critic, the Course 1 Student Council Hattori Gyobushoujo Hanzou.

Question: Does Mari or Miss Saegusa know of Tatsuya's background?
Question: Since Hanzo Hattori carries the name of a famous ninja, does this mean that he also has some knowledge with ninjutsu as Mr. Yakumo? Why didn't he use that?

Episode 3: Enrollment Part 3

Keeping secrets is starting to be a difficult feat to do, especially with everyone becoming curious of your exceptional skills in using magic. Even the most innocent-looking one wants to take a peek of your awesome CAD. All those eyes on Tatsuya eventually forces out Miyuki's jealous side, causing Tatsuya to go on a Blue Screen of Death. Fortunately(?), he quickly wakes up to catch on the formal introduction of the new members of the Student Council, including Shun Morisato, the guy that was pissed at him earlier. Soon enough, conflicts between students calls for Tatsuya's swift and precise actions as the newest member of the Disciplinary Committee.

Question: I haven't quite memorized every single spell used, but Episode 3 had an Oscillation-type magic. I assume that it moves psions at a certain frequency? And an Essential class of magic is a basic kind of magic spell?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2014-05-24 at 03:29.
Old 2014-05-24, 05:53   Link #3
Rava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post

Question: I assume that having a number in your name, like 1,000 for Chiba, 4 for Shiba, and 7 for Saegusa, is something important. But does one's CAD actually show that number when activating a spell, or was it a mistaken observation for me?
Question: Can one use magic to record information the way Miyuki cleaned her and Tatsuya's clothes? (Honestly, it's much better to use a keyboard. )
RE Question 1: It's supposed to be 100 for Chiba, and Shiba is not written with a number.
CADs also have nothing to do with a family name's number.

I'm not sure what you mean by the second question.

Quote:
Episode 2: Enrollment Part 2

The "circle of friends" is formed, and they discovered that being a student in First High isn't a privilege given to just about anyone, if the previous statement of "students with potential" isn't clue enough. To add, it seems that more people are recognizing Tatsuya's other abilities, starting with his circle of friends, then with Mari and the Student Council. (I'm not sure if Miss Saegusa has other plans for Miyuki.) The soldier that tries to keep a low profile is suddenly given a duty that puts him (...or rather his skills, due to the spirit of meritocracy?) in the spotlight. Although he refuses, for the sake of Miyuki's reputation, he swiftly defeats his staunch critic, the Course 1 Student Council Hattori Gyobushoujo Hanzou.

Question: Does Mari or Miss Saegusa know of Tatsuya's background?
Question: Since Hanzo Hattori carries the name of a famous ninja, does this mean that he also has some knowledge with ninjutsu as Mr. Yakumo? Why didn't he use that?
Mari and Mayumi didn't pick him for meritocratic reasons, or by default they would be picking a Course 1 Student. That's why Hattori had his outburst. Having a rare ability does not mean you are the best.

RE Question 1: Episode 1 is the first time either of them met Tatsuya, there's no reason why they would know anything about his background other than what he tells them.

RE Question 2: The significance of Hattori's name is the same significance of Skyrim fans naming their kid Dohvakiin: None at all. If anything, he suffers from it in much the same way that baby is going to suffer from his name in the future...

Quote:
Episode 3: Enrollment Part 3

Keeping secrets is starting to be a difficult feat to do, especially with everyone becoming curious of your exceptional skills in using magic. Even the most innocent-looking one wants to take a peek of your awesome CAD. All those eyes on Tatsuya eventually forces out Miyuki's jealous side, causing Tatsuya to go on a Blue Screen of Death. Fortunately(?), he quickly wakes up to catch on the formal introduction of the new members of the Student Council, including Shun Morisato, the guy that was pissed at him earlier. Soon enough, conflicts between students calls for Tatsuya's swift and precise actions as the newest member of the Disciplinary Committee.

Question: I haven't quite memorized every single spell used, but Episode 3 had an Oscillation-type magic. I assume that it moves psions at a certain frequency? And an Essential class of magic is a basic kind of magic spell?
RE Question 1: Oscillation-type magic means it uses the Psions to make something oscillate, not that the Psions are oscillating themselves. They don't specify what is being oscillated on Sonic Blade, but whatever is being oscillated is what makes the sword cut better.

RE Question 2: Essential Singularity is Crunchyroll's own translation of that phrase, it means the magic invoked is essentially only doing one basic magic action on the target. For example, Hattori's Essential Singularity-type Movement spell from Episode 2 -- all it does it move the target (violently) away because using the basic Movement type magic causes violent movement. Tatsuya's Essential Singularity-type magic in Episode 3 also only does one thing. However, it is a little different because his target is the Psions being released, so he has more flexible options available.

In contrast, Sonic Blade is not an Essential Singularity magic, so the magic is doing more than just one thing and there's more parts to it that they don't explain.
Old 2014-05-24, 07:20   Link #4
CatRules
Shipper

Quote:
Question: Can one use magic to record information (i.e., take notes) the way Miyuki cleaned her and Tatsuya's clothes? (Honestly, it's much better to use a keyboard. )
Spoiler for reference to Episode 5:

P.S. Marcus is right. Chiba has number 1000.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

P.S.2 being able to use civil magics easily (as you mentioned) is another prove of Miyuki's superior magical talent.
Old 2014-05-24, 07:34   Link #5
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
RE Question 1: It's supposed to be 100 for Chiba, and Shiba is not written with a number.
CADs also have nothing to do with a family name's number.
100 for Chiba? Isn't Chiba written as 千葉 and 千 is 1,000?
As for Shiba... I see. "It was a mistake on my part."

Quote:
RE Question 1: Episode 1 is the first time either of them met Tatsuya, there's no reason why they would know anything about his background other than what he tells them.
Eh? It seems that both Mayumi and Mari were "lovestruck" by his show of skill during the small confrontation between the Course 1s and Course 2s.

Quote:
RE Question 2: The significance of Hattori's name is the same significance of Skyrim fans naming their kid Dohvakiin: None at all. If anything, he suffers from it in much the same way that baby is going to suffer from his name in the future...
OUCH.

Quote:
RE Question 1: Oscillation-type magic means it uses the Psions to make something oscillate, not that the Psions are oscillating themselves. They don't specify what is being oscillated on Sonic Blade, but whatever is being oscillated is what makes the sword cut better.
I guess it's the air particles that get oscillated when using Sonic Blade. That's the only thing that makes sense, since making the weapon itself oscillate wouldn't really make for a decent strike, especially if we're talking about a bamboo sword, which doesn't have a good edge to begin with. (Honestly, I was surprised that this isn't explained well.)
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2014-05-24, 07:50   Link #6
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
As for Shiba... I see. "It was a mistake on my part."
Well, Shiba doesn't have a number (司波), but Yotsuba does.

Quote:
Eh? It seems that both Mayumi and Mari were "lovestruck" by his show of skill during the small confrontation between the Course 1s and Course 2s.
Don't think they know about his background. Otherwise they wouldn't have been that surprised to see him taking down Hattori.
Old 2014-05-24, 07:52   Link #7
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

I'm surprised that the English Mahouka site still hasn't translated the information about the 10 Master Clans and the Numbers that is available on the Japanese site...

Quote:
I'd say that Mayumi was also impressed by his entrance test scores (at their first meeting, it's suggested that this isn't the first time she's come across his name, she expresses further interest in him after the matriculation ceremony, and none of the senior students made any comments to the contrary when Miyuki raised the issue in episode 2).

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2014-05-24, 08:25   Link #8
Ickarium

Not to mention that he can read activation sequences, yeah. That is something that is REMARKABLY useful for someone like the PMC. People can't lie and say 'Yeah, I wasn't doing that, I was doing this, see, it's not so bad'. Which I'm sure happens quite a bit when they catch someone.
Old 2014-05-24, 08:37   Link #9
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Is Mari also capable of similar magic or she using something else? I feel that she's more towards "polygraphing" people, though. She was so confident that her skill works that she suspected Tatsuya of being capable in subterfuge.

Old 2014-05-24, 12:03   Link #10
Rava

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatRules View Post
P.S. Marcus is right. Chiba has number 1000.
Quote:
100 for Chiba? Isn't Chiba written as 千葉 and 千 is 1,000?
My bad. I plead insanity from staying up so late, since it was almost 4 AM when I posted that. Edit: Giving it some thought, I think the 100 came up because it's 100 Families. So Chiba really shouldn't count.

Quote:
Is Mari also capable of similar magic or she using something else? I feel that she's more towards "polygraphing" people, though. She was so confident that her skill works that she suspected Tatsuya of being capable in subterfuge.
Mari has strong anti-personnel magic. They really don't elaborate how at this point though.

Last edited by Rava; 2014-05-24 at 12:16.
Old 2014-05-24, 12:57   Link #11
Echizen777

Hey, shouldn't you ask these questions here or here instead of the episode discussion thread?
Old 2014-05-24, 13:14   Link #12
Rava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
Hey, shouldn't you ask these questions here or here instead of the episode discussion thread?
I assumed he wanted to know if there was something in the episode he didn't catch, that's why I didn't respond with information that wasn't past the point of this episode.
Closed Thread