AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2016-05-31, 08:37   Link #1
Raviel

Odd buzzing sound coming from my PSU

Hello, I got a new PC about 2 weeks ago and so far it works fine but I get this really weird electrical buzzing sound coming from my PSU (a Corsair VS 650).

The noise can range from barely perceptible to clearly audible, however my main gripe is that I have no idea what causes it because of how random it is.

There are times when I can play games for hours and hear nothing and then there are times where I'm just browsing and I eventually hear a buzzing sound.

When I looked up the issue the responses I've seen range from "it's not really harmful, unless you're really annoyed by the noise" to "get it replaced ASAP".

Can anyone else offer some advice on how to resolve this? If nothing else I will most likely just have the PSU replaced since its still under warranty.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-31, 12:29   Link #2
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

It could be coil whine, which is a natural phenomenon (I even heard smartphone battery chargers do that), but if it does get loud, I nevertheless suggest you replace it, for both safety's sake and to spare you some future frustration. Another possible cause would be the cooling fan's motor wearing down or experiencing its own coil whine; if you feel the fan is extracting less warm air than usual, then it might be dying and you should swap the PSU.

Do not, however, under any circumstance, attempt to open the PSU casing to check the contents, even if the PSU block is unplugged and completely removed from the computer case - you'll put your life at risk.
Old 2016-05-31, 18:03   Link #3
Tiberium Wolf

Old news
http://www.cnet.com/news/teen-electr...gged-computer/

Don't bother to repair stuff if you don't know about electronics. Don't take apart anything related to electricity.
Old 2016-05-31, 20:11   Link #4
Raviel

Thanks, looks like I'll just go with the safer route and take the PC back to the shop I bought it in so they can take a look at it.

If worst comes to worst and I somehow need to get a brand new PSU, what model would you guys recommend for a PC that runs these specs? I'd like to stick to a budget PSU but I'm willing to take a look at some more expensive PSUs if it means their overall quality is better.

- i7-6700

- MSI GTX 970 (4gb)

- MSI Gaming M3 motherboard

From what little I know these things are what really matters as power consumption goes.

Last edited by Raviel; 2016-05-31 at 20:25.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-01, 01:33   Link #5
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Get either a Corsair or Seasonic (~700W); those two brands are usually acknowledged as the best in reliability and performance, though some others still do remain good enough (Antec, maybe? Dunno about their quality nowadays) to warrant a further look. Go for those labeled "80+" (or "90+" and above) and "Gold", they're more power-efficient.

You should also look at the specs and see if they offer enough cables for all the components you intend to cram inside the case (some people -like me, for instance- have a LOT of high-capacity HDDs ) and amperage, especially for the GPU (not enough amperage can hurt your card).

For wattage, there are several online calculators available out there, but I suggest you add 50-100W to whatever result you get for safety's sake (especially if you intend to upgrade your rig in the future by adding more components like HDDs, network/audio cards, etc). Anyway, your PSU won't be constantly drawing 700W from the power socket, especially if you're doing low-intensity stuff (browsing, doing MS Office work, watching YouTube vids)...it'll only happen when at peak activity level (heavy gaming or video editing).
Old 2016-06-01, 01:35   Link #6
Tiberium Wolf

If you changing PSU it's easy. You are safe as long as you are not taking the PSU apart like what that guy did in the news.