AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-01-25, 15:58   Link #1
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Have you ever been tsundere for a character?

So with all the discussion on moe around here recently, I’ve been thinking a lot about how I tend to form stronger attachments towards certain characters as a series progresses. Which to me raises the question: have you ever been tsundere for a character?

I can’t claim to have ever had alternating like/dislike reactions to a specific character, but I can think of a case where I started out hating a character and later came to like them. The best example I can think of is the character of Tsugumi Komachi from the visual novel Ever 17: The Out of Infinity. Early in the game, her tendency to brush question off drove me nuts. Furthermore, at one point (the bit with the nail polish remover, for those who have played the game) I actually found myself wishing Ever 17 was the kind of visual novel that gaves the player a “spank” option. In my defense, a certain episode of Kanokon had just aired so my mind was kind of in the gutter that way.

Yes… by the end of her route, she was one of my favourite characters ever and, when paired with Takeshi, part of one of my favourite couples. So yes, I have actually been “tsundere for a tsundere”. I attribute that to some very effective writing – a combination of slowly revealing the character’s more appealing qualities and the fact that Ever 17’s first person perspective made me feel rather close to the characters.

I’d be very interested in knowing if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 20:45   Link #2
Badkarma 1

The love/hate thing

Yes, but only 1 character; Kallen Stadtfeld of Code Geass. I liked her during the entire 1st season but during the second season she suddenly became a winy,antagonistic,bragart,with a superiority complex the size of Texas! That's when I said aloud "About time somebody put you out of your own misery"! I've mellowed a bit now and can just stomach her in R2....JUST that is!
Badkarma 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 21:01   Link #3
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Haruhi Suzumiya.

Felt she was terribly overhyped at first, and hated how she treated Mikuru and the CCP. Gradually, over time, my views on her changed quite a bit... my avatar and sig makes that pretty clear, I think.

Tomoyo (Clannad) was a character that I wasn't all that fond of at first, because she was involved in so many of the exact sorts of slapstick comedy scenes that I'm not all that fond of. By the end of Clannad's first season, though, I warmed up to her. Still not one of my favorite Clannad girls, but I do like her as a character now.
Old 2010-01-25, 21:40   Link #4
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ami Kawashima from Toradora. Started out hate, ended up being love for me.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 22:38   Link #5
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Hey, 0utf0xZer0, I felt the same way when I played Ever17.

It was great to see her finally open up and become a character you could like.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 02:03   Link #6
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Not the kinda tsundere I was thinking about coming into this thread but I get it.
If it's in the sense of gradually coming to like them then only character I can think of is Usopp from One Piece, while I still kinda somewhat dislike parts of his character for most part I don't mind him half as much as I used to.
Altho I think thats down mostly to the fact of his awesome alter ego SOGEKING!

It's usually always just been love or hate from the get go for me and I can't recall me ever really changing my mind over time.
Old 2010-01-26, 14:49   Link #7
Isekaijin

Mmm... Nagisa from Clannad the VN. At first I thought she was annoyingly clingy in all the routes.

D...don't misunderstand... I-it's not like I li...like her. She became unexplainibly cute in a moment I couldn't identify. By the time I reached her route... well, you understand.
Isekaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 15:10   Link #8
Echoes

That's an interesting question. Before I give it any more thought, I think there's one instance I recall that might fit the description.

When my friend first introduced Cowboy Bebop to me when I was relatively new to anime, he was head over heels for the "Ed" character. At first glance, I found her to be way too silly and just plain annoying, but as I started watching the series chronologically on my own, I found myself liking her more and more. I don't know if it was the fact that I loved everything else and I just couldn't bear to dislike any part of the series, or if I genuinely changed my mind somewhere along the way and accepted her quirky antics. Either way, I didn't really feel like admitting it at first, even to myself, but today I'm more than happy to tell you that I love the enitre cast.
Old 2010-01-27, 20:48   Link #9
Xion Valkyrie

Could that really be considered tsundere though, since it's more like you've just grown to like the character. So I guess it's more like tsun->dere.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 21:43   Link #10
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Could that really be considered tsundere though, since it's more like you've just grown to like the character. So I guess it's more like tsun->dere.
That is the classic definition of a tsundere... a character who starts out very tsun, and eventually becomes dere by the end of the story.
Old 2010-01-28, 04:35   Link #11
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Hm, it would have to be Kururugi Suzaku from Code Geass for me. I hated his guts for the vast majority of S1 and R2, but it wasn't until the very end of R2 that I started to like him. Mostly because he sided with Lelouche, but there you have it.
Old 2010-01-28, 14:27   Link #12
Crontica

The most despised to the most liked characters.

Kurosu - Cross+Channel

I. Hate. This. Mans. Guts. PERIOD.

Every breath, and thought process he executes is about babes and nothing more.
Even when he acts seriously he only does it when one of the characters is about to injure him. He blames his behavior on his alter ego but it is crystal clear he is taking full advantage of the time loop.

Never have i been happier when he fell of the school roof. the only time he is sane is when there are no girls in sight for the remainder of the segment.

Tomoyo - Clannad

Now if you had been trough an endless stream of tsundere characters that served nothing more but to derail the plot. Tomoyo would look like a goddess compared to them.

But all jokes aside, she is simply badass. Cool calm and collected with supreme force, a rare characteristic trait in todays anime round up. It's hard not to respect this character after afew introductions and made me wish she was the main female lead.

Haruhi Suzumiya - Melancholy of Haruhi

This character is hyperactive enough to give you a headache which was bearable thanks to Kyons charismatic retorts but shafted enough that you didn't pay much attention to her frivolous bantings.

I think her hyperactiveness is just a mask concealing the ever increasing problems of humanity. "Why was i born? When there is more than enough people to begin with.." Feelings of being forced into a parallelious environment and the desire to excel to more exciting and dynamic heights is probably one of the things that activated her god like powers.

Now i personally think Haruhi is just one big red herring, or a decoy to keep Kyon from being discovered, because if you payed attention Kyon and Haruhi had a similar thought process before they met and adding to the fact that it boggles the mind that Haruhi would draw an ordinary human towards her when she wants supernatural entities.

Haruhi is an ok character, but too dense for her own good.

Adoba Tadamichi - Dan Doh

At first he was "Meh just a kid." He became more likable as the series progressed, mainly for owning everyone during the golf matches. Was the only character i found ridiculously moe nearing the end of the 2nd arc.

Furude Rika - Hirugashi no naku

This girl wins the trophy of the most tragic heroine ever.
Sympathy all around, cant hate her when her violent outbursts were well justified. Leading onwards on becoming the most cruel and emotionless character ever manifested.
Character is likable and relatable.

Mitsuki - Full moon wo saga

This could be the only character that has made me break down and cry as if someone had DIED. She was your average youth who had her favorites and goals. Her denseness that could look at an apple yet claim it never existed made her easily hateable during the disappearance arc. Coupled with the shinigami team, made an emotionally enjoyable series from beginning to end.
Old 2010-01-28, 17:46   Link #13
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I would say Shion from Higurashi, since she was like impossible to like for the 1st half, but it's such a fucked up story and she's actually quite delightful

Spoiler:

I would say the same for Maria from Umineko; at first I was like WTFFFFFFFFFF IS WRONG WITH U.

Spoiler:

I guess Beatrice from the same show could fall in here; no idea if she's fucking with you or not.

And that's about it. Though I think I've been tsundere for entire shows; I started out hating every show in my favorites list, but that has obviously changed. It's almost like I'll never really love an anime without hating it first.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 19:08   Link #14
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post

I would say the same for Maria from Umineko; at first I was like WTFFFFFFFFFF IS WRONG WITH U.
Yeah... that's how I felt about Maria too; at least until the 4th arc.

However...

Spoiler for Umineko visual novel:
Old 2010-01-28, 20:16   Link #15
HigurashinoUmineko

Ok well I guess I do have a few characters I hated at first but came to like them..Hmmm...Lets see...

Teana Lanster- I dont know but when I saw her training after hours and yelling at Nanoha about how she isn't good enough, I thought she was nothing but a brat who wanted to the best at everything. Later on in the series though, I came to like her, especially during the finale. It's strange how that can happen huh?

Maria Ushiromiya- Personally, I thought she was pretty darn annoying when reading the VN what with
Spoiler for Umineko spoilers:
but then when I got to know her back-story,
Spoiler for Umineko ep 4:
and well soon enough I began to undislike her I guess. Not my favorite character or anything but she's not my least favorite.
HigurashinoUmineko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 20:58   Link #16
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

Haruhi Suzumiya

Hmm I guess it would have to be Haruhi I didn't really like the way she was treading Mikuru so I kind of hated her a bit, but as the episodes went by I sorta started to like her.

Killer Bee (Naruto)

After first seeing him a few times in the episodes and manga I thought he was super annoying so I didnt really like him at all, but hes slowly growing on me..

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
CMSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 13:25   Link #17
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I can only think of one, and that would be...Asuna Kagurazaka from Negima! I'll admit that I absolutely hated her from the start of the series, and wondered why she wouldn't give Negi a break. Then, at around the School Trip Arc, I no longer hated her, but she was nowhere near my favorites. I think was around the Mahora Festival that she managed to jump on to my favorite characters list, and now she IS one of my favorites (right up there with Evangeline).
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 15:20   Link #18
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Ami Kawashima from Toradora. Started out hate, ended up being love for me.
Hmmm... I never came around to actually like Ami, but as the series progressed I managed to get to the point where I didn't actually dislike her either. Which is still quite the transition, because I remember absolutely hating her initially. I got giddy when she got left alone with Taiga at the restaurant because I thought Taiga might smack her... and while I don't approve of violence, I actually have to admit I kind of cheered inside when Taiga actually did it. Since she's definitely not my type of character, she actually transitioned about as far as was possible for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
Hey, 0utf0xZer0, I felt the same way when I played Ever17.

It was great to see her finally open up and become a character you could like.
I'd actually be more surprised if I hadn't gotten at least one Ever 17 player saying they felt the same way in this thread.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 18:25   Link #19
Dazarath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Hm, it would have to be Kururugi Suzaku from Code Geass for me. I hated his guts for the vast majority of S1 and R2, but it wasn't until the very end of R2 that I started to like him. Mostly because he sided with Lelouche, but there you have it.
+1

Though for me, it was a slightly different reason. It really bothers me when characters have huge logical flaws in their beliefs, or when their principles are inconsistent. It wasn't until he had his bout of cognitive dissonance that his actions made more sense.
Dazarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 22:40   Link #20
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Hmmm... I never came around to actually like Ami, but as the series progressed I managed to get to the point where I didn't actually dislike her either. Which is still quite the transition, because I remember absolutely hating her initially. I got giddy when she got left alone with Taiga at the restaurant because I thought Taiga might smack her... and while I don't approve of violence, I actually have to admit I kind of cheered inside when Taiga actually did it. Since she's definitely not my type of character, she actually transitioned about as far as was possible for her.
I did come around to actually liking her, as the layers of her insecurity were so skillfully peeled away like an onion. She's an old soul, our Ami. I never came to love her like I did Minori, but I did like her.

As for Taiga, I guess to follow the OP's metaphor I was tsuntsun for her. I started out hating her and ended up hating her, but maybe 1% less.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote