Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-02, 03:14   Link #1
<xellos>
As a WHM I help people

Burning Dvds, Read before Closing

now, if i own the 3 dvd box set of Cowboy Bebop, is it ok to rent, then burn the entire 6 dvd set for myself?
Old 2004-03-02, 03:27   Link #2
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudStrife
now, if i own the 3 dvd box set of Cowboy Bebop, is it ok to rent, then burn the entire 6 dvd set for myself?
On a business and legal viewpoint, the answer is a definite NO.

Owning one DVD of a series does not entitle you to steal the other DVDs.
Old 2004-03-02, 03:36   Link #3
Fronzel
Schmuck

Not to mention the fact that the 3-disc set is a bootleg.
Old 2004-03-02, 03:36   Link #4
hentai_wolf
Vivisectionist VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
On a business and legal viewpoint, the answer is a definite NO.

Owning one DVD of a series does not entitle you to steal the other DVDs.
I don't think that's what he's saying. Essentially he bought a bootleg set of Cowboy Bebop, and wants to replace it with a legitimate set. Obviously he was less than pleased with the quality of the bootleg set.
Old 2004-03-02, 03:38   Link #5
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Well, the answer is obviously still, "no." Owning the bootleg DVDs does not entitle him to steal the legitimate version.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-03-02, 08:48   Link #6
Briareos

If you look around on half.com and ebay you can get all 6 R1 DVDs rather cheap used. I think I payed about $70 total for all six of my CB DVDs used. Disc 5 was the hardest to find.

I'm not sure why CloudStrife is even asking this question. It wasn't "okay" for him to buy the 3 DVD set in the first place (since it's a Bootleg). It's never "okay" to rent and copy DVDs. Nothing that goes on on this site is "okay", but it's ignored simply because the shows are not owned by anyone who is willing to bring legal action against this distribution.

Renting and copying a DVD that's available in your own language and region? You shouoldn't even have to ask if it's okay to do this.

CloudStrife, here's the short answer: NO!
Old 2004-03-02, 13:11   Link #7
Bindibadgi
We'll miss u Hughes

Quote:
a) 3 box set is bootleg
b) if you dont own it you dont have the right to make backups
c) proper DVD box sets are worth the money in extras alone (/me hugs WHR + Last exile box sets with Tshirts, mouse mats, shot glass, Aru figure, animation cells.. etc)
Old 2004-03-02, 21:38   Link #8
Repulse
Lagrange's stepchild

A form of the show that is graded as bootleg in this country, does not infact necessarily mean that it is illegal in another country. A set of low quality DVDs made in China, where the copyright laws are not very strict, brings little questions of legality in that country. Therefore, export of that item is rarely questioned. An item such as this, imported to the United States is marked as a product of a foreign country, therefore, owning these DVD does not necessarily mean an illegal action. This however, does not entitle you to another version of this show that is published under a different company, especially given the shadiness of your copy. It does however allow you to make as many copies of your own dvds or own a digital version of it's contents for your own private use.
Old 2004-03-03, 01:09   Link #9
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulse
A form of the show that is graded as bootleg in this country, does not infact necessarily mean that it is illegal in another country. A set of low quality DVDs made in China, where the copyright laws are not very strict, brings little questions of legality in that country. Therefore, export of that item is rarely questioned. An item such as this, imported to the United States is marked as a product of a foreign country, therefore, owning these DVD does not necessarily mean an illegal action.
I don't care if it's legal or not. It's bootleg in my books if producer of the products in question did not obtain permission from the original copyright holders to reproduce the product (and/or pay them). I could care less if bootlegs were legal, because I'm still gipping the creators AND benefiting the bootleggers.
Old 2004-03-03, 03:15   Link #10
<xellos>
As a WHM I help people

so its ok to make back-ups, like if your dvd gets scratched, unrepairabally (i know its not a real word but you know what i mean), then its ok to burn a dvd of the same thing to replace it? as long as i owned it in the first place?

oh and i live in Ontario, Canada, where it is LEGAL to download, just illegal to Upload, so laws are different everywhere
Old 2004-03-03, 03:19   Link #11
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Yes. It is legal to make a back-up copy as long as your back up is the exact same thing as the original. This means that you can back up the legal 6 DVD set if and only if you buy the 6 DVD set. If you only own the bootlegs, then you can't keep a back up of the legal set. You also cannot trade, sell or load the back-up set to anyone.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-03-03, 03:54   Link #12
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

PS, Yes, they are still illegal in China. Copyright still exists there, it's just not enforced. It's just as illegal to have them in the States, not because they are from a different country, but because they are stolen material.
Old 2004-03-14, 10:19   Link #13
<xellos>
As a WHM I help people

Sorry one more question relating to this, its a long one.

Now, if i have a Fan-Subbed copy on my computer from when a series wasnt licensed, say...Gundam Seed, i know not the whole series, but its an example of a series that nearly finished before getting licensed, now if i have that on my computer, then i buy the R1 dvds, can i bearn the fansubbed copies because i like the quality better??
Old 2004-03-14, 10:24   Link #14
Hisoka44

Quote:

Now, if i have a Fan-Subbed copy on my computer from when a series wasnt licensed, say...Gundam Seed, i know not the whole series, but its an example of a series that nearly finished before getting licensed, now if i have that on my computer, then i buy the R1 dvds, can i bearn the fansubbed copies because i like the quality better??
depend on what country you are in, but often you are not allowed to do so many things
Old 2004-03-14, 11:50   Link #15
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
i bearn the fansubbed copies because i like the quality better??
What makes you think that the quality of the fansub is better then the professional dvd release?
Old 2004-03-14, 15:16   Link #16
brand
Deadly Ninja of Doom!

Well, in the end this is a moral issues that one needs to solve them self.

Personally, if I want to burn fan subs to disk I do. Though I'm the only person watching them and I don't sell them so I don't feel that within my moral standards I'm ok to do this. Now it still may not be legal but, I don't think the FBI will be tracking me down.

And I have seen fan subs that were better then official translation. Utena comes to mind, ugg I hate the CPM translation of it.... But that's just my personal view of it.
Old 2004-03-15, 09:47   Link #17
Silver_Scorcher

Quote:

I guess as long as it's for your own personal use then it's nothing to worry about. If you burn it and distribute it in some way (sell it or upload it), then even here in Canada, it's illegal. I burned my Gundam Seed fansubs as well and I even got the remaining 5 or 6 episodes after it was licensed, BUT I still have every intention of buying the DVD's when they come out in September. While it is the ethical thing to do, it's also because most of my SEED eps were from Anime Junkies and were of low sub quality for about the first half of the show.
Old 2004-03-16, 00:28   Link #18
Dark Blade Outlaw

OOOOOOOH so the 3 dvd set is bootleg? I thought they were just imports. My friend has the Berserk series on 3 DVD's. Would that be considered the bootleg version too?
Old 2004-03-16, 09:48   Link #19
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Its a bootleg, yes, as theres no official three disc set of berserk.

Check out AnimeonDVD.com to see whats what
Old 2004-03-17, 01:24   Link #20
Dark Blade Outlaw

Well my friend and I get our DVD's from WWW.LINKANIME.COM. Thats like the best place to get anime. That where he also perchased Berserk and most of the other animes he has.
Closed Thread