Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2019-08-16, 17:05   Link #1
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Trump & Greenland

Not going to repost any news link since I think anyone that has read any news headline in the past two days already now. So, my question is, how feasible is that the USA invade greenland? Yeah, it is a crazy idea, but this administration gloats on craziness and deporting 60,000 islanders (similarly to what russia did in the kuril islands after WWII) is a lot easier than kicking north korea's butt. Last but not least, this administration badly needs something to keep peoples mind distracted, which worked for bush jr. when we waged war in iraq and he got reelected because he was a war president (even thought said war was a money drain that served no real purpose).
Old 2019-08-16, 17:25   Link #2
ramlaen

I'm enjoying how a much ado about nothing WSJ article is driving certain people insane.
Old 2019-08-16, 17:44   Link #3
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

And what purpose would war with Denmark and via extension the European Union serve?

At least Iraq had historical backup to the issue and public support (after a decade, people were kind of getting fed up with Saddam's grandstanding even after the defeat in 1991).
Old 2019-08-16, 18:12   Link #4
DracoS

Seems a bit of tin hat theory to be blunt.
Old 2019-08-17, 01:31   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

There is zero chance the US would involve itself in some sort of war over Greenland. This whole matter has elicited little but bemusement in the American public.

Personally I think the US should wait until after Halloween when no-deal Brexit tanks the pound, then offer to buy the UK at a bargain-basement price.
Old 2019-08-17, 01:36   Link #6
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
There is zero chance the US would involve itself in some sort of war over Greenland. This whole matter has elicited little but bemusement in the American public.

Personally I think the US should wait until after Halloween when no-deal Brexit tanks the pound, then offer to buy the UK at a bargain-basement price.
In a sense that's exactly what's happening. One of the reasons the right wing in the U.S. helped bankroll the Leave campaign.
Old 2019-08-17, 09:18   Link #7
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
The UK will not be for sale, because after no-deal brexit ireland and scotland would secede, so trump would get his trade agreement with (no longer great) britain, so conservatives can get to re-write the constitution.
Old 2019-08-17, 18:41   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ireland is not part of the UK.
Old 2019-08-17, 19:47   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

No-deal Brexit is going to pose a substantial problem for unionists in Ulster. The DUP continues to be all-in on Brexit, but the last polls I saw showed there is still a Remain majority in the province. There is now a considerable amount of cross-border economic activity that would be threatened by the UK leaving without a deal, not to mention that a hard border conflicts with the Good Friday Accords. American politicians like Nancy Pelosi have already threatened to scuttle any US-UK trade agreement if the Accords are overturned.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-b...-idUSKCN1V419I
Old 2019-08-18, 00:14   Link #10
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I wonder if Northern Ireland will just break off like Scotland was threatening to do in order to stay in the EU?
Old 2019-08-20, 21:14   Link #11
Key Board
Carbon

wait... he was serious about this?
How else do you interpret this tweet?

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2019-08-21, 07:28   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't think Trump is "serious" about much of anything. Breaking off a planned international meeting with an ally over a silly dream is, however, pretty unprecedented. Conservative columnist David Frum suggests that Trump might not have wanted to visit Denmark because Barack Obama is scheduled to appear at an event later in the month. Trump wouldn't be able to handle Obama drawing bigger and more supportive crowds than him.

As for Northern Ireland, here are some recent polling results on the "backstop."

Quote:
A total of 58.4% said they would vote in favour of a "border in the Irish Sea" to remain closely aligned with the European Union rather than Great Britain.

It found 39.5% would reject the compromise, with 2.1% saying that they did not know.

An overwhelming majority of Alliance and Green Party voters backed the proposal to prevent large job losses and a shock to the economy.

Unionist voters were the most opposed to the idea with just one in six supporting the backstop, 94% of Democratic Unionists disagreeing with the idea, and 69% of Ulster Unionists rejecting the proposal.
The DUP has a lot of power at Westminster since their MPs vote to support the current Tory government.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top...stop-1-6222971

BTW, the Administration's high regard for Denmark shows in its choice of Ambassador. Carla Sands is a graduate of Life Chiropractic College and an actress “best known for her work in Deathstalker & the Warriors from Hell.”

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2019-08-21 at 07:39.
Old 2019-08-21, 09:47   Link #13
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Ireland is not part of the UK.
I meant norther ireland or ireland as an island, take your pick.

Quote:
I don't think Trump is "serious" about much of anything.
I think you are in a phase of negation, as in "my president is stupid, but he can't be THAT stupid". Mark my words, this Greenland thing is not going away, just iike tariffs and supporting Putin, it is the new normal, it might not be everyday on the news, but it is part of trump's agenda.

As for the Ireland backstop, to me it is clear boris knows the EU wont back down on it, so it is the perfect excuse for a no deal brexit, which is the option he is pushing forward and when everything goes south after oct/31 conservatives will repeat non stop "If the EU had accepted our terms we would not be in this shitty situation".
Old 2019-08-21, 10:19   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
I think you are in a phase of negation, as in "my president is stupid, but he can't be THAT stupid".
I think my president is mentally impaired, perhaps by early-onset dementia, and getting worse as the days go by. His father suffered from Alzheimer's Disease.
Old 2019-08-21, 11:11   Link #15
kari-no-sugata II

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49423968

Definitely one of those "truth is stranger than fiction" moments.

Maybe should turn it into a joke -
Tsundere Trump: Don't misunderstand! It's not like I wanted your silly little island anyway! Humph!
Old 2019-08-21, 12:19   Link #16
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

"Are parts of the US for sale? Alaska?" <- Well, make him an offer, maybe line his personal pockets, and I'm sure he'll sell you... well, maybe not Alaska, especially since it's a red state, but Puerto Rico, sure.
Old 2019-08-21, 13:24   Link #17
ramlaen

Quote:
I think my president is mentally impaired, perhaps by early-onset dementia, and getting worse as the days go by. His father suffered from Alzheimer's Disease.
I hate to break it to you but Biden is not going to be the next POTUS.
Old 2019-08-21, 13:35   Link #18
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49423968

Definitely one of those "truth is stranger than fiction" moments.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...03361423351808

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality
Old 2019-08-21, 16:21   Link #19
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
I hate to break it to you but Biden is not going to be the next POTUS.
I don't think he'll be the Democratic nominee. Nor do I think Trump will win re-election.

Neither of those statements has anything to do with the fact that I think Trump's mental condition is deteriorating. The public doesn't want to believe its president is as crazy as Trump is, so if it becomes a campaign issue, it will be dealt with sotto voce.
Old 2019-08-21, 16:37   Link #20
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Trump (born 1946) was older than Reagan (born 1911) was when elected president. Though Reagan lasted two terms and was almost 78 when we left office. Trump is presently 73 years old and it the oldest person to take the office (Reagan is still the oldest elected due to winning the second term in 1984). Should Trump win a second term, and survive his office he will be 78 when he leaves office in January of 2025, as the oldest person to have held the office by virtue of being around six months older than Reagan in the same instance.

There mental states may however be the same. Ronald had a much better disposition than Donald, and not only had more elected experience (having been Governor of California) but was also a better actor.