AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2019-05-31, 01:27   Link #21
Nymene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinvelt View Post
By the way, translation is rather bad. In the first place his name is Anos, I don't even know why he added a "r" (same for manga TL). And not only talking about names, translation itself is kinda bad. A shame people have to do with that.
Maybe because Anos is spelled like Anus, so for better English localization it needs to be Arnos. Can't wait for Ray Glandsley to show up in the Manga.
Nymene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-31, 03:07   Link #22
Rinvelt
駄目人間

^It's not even a good reason. It's the same for Japanese, アノス is close to アヌス.
Rinvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-31, 09:23   Link #23
Nymene

Quote:
^It's not even a good reason. It's the same for Japanese, アノス is close to アヌス.
Well, シシリーin Kenja no Mago becomes Sizilien in the English dub of the anime. It doesn't even sound the same, unlike if it were Sicily. Besides, Arnos is read more cooler for the eyes than the lame spelling of Anos. Arnos Schwarzenegger, anyone ? Arnos Voldigourde, cough. Anyway, i like the fact that MC's male friend is paired with his own girl in this novel. The LN illustrations for Misa Iriologue are so cute.
Old 2019-05-31, 11:03   Link #24
Rinvelt
駄目人間

^Sorry, but I read the name Anos for 400+ chapters. You can't ask me to like the name Arnos when in my brain no other name aside from Anos is possible.
Old 2019-05-31, 11:33   Link #25
zztop

There's actually 5 LNs out now, however books 4-5 are classified as Vol 4 - Part 1 and Vol 4-Part 2 respectively.
https://dengekibunko.jp/product/maou...810000106.html
https://dengekibunko.jp/product/maou...811001095.html
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-31, 22:39   Link #26
zztop

Quote:
^Sorry, but I read the name Anos for 400+ chapters. You can't ask me to like the name Arnos when in my brain no other name aside from Anos is possible.
Are the WN chapters long or short? Do a lot of things happen in 1 chapter?
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-01, 03:29   Link #27
Rinvelt
駄目人間

Generally during each arc the chapters start with average length then get longer as the end of the arc approach. (with my reading speed (not that fast) the first chapters take around +/-10 minutes, and the longer +/-20min with some really long ones taking +/-30min)

And yeah, something I like is that the novel is pretty straightforward, so stuff happens in the chapters. Only exception are battle were basically it's just the author trying to make the enemy looks strong only to be utterly destroyed by Anos.
But in general "normal" battles last 1 or 2 chapters, only "big/boss" battles reach 5+ chapters.
Old 2019-06-02, 10:13   Link #28
Nymene

I like this novel because MC's male comrade has his own girl and have lots of screentime appearing in many scenes that he ( Ray ) reminds me of August from Kenja no Mago, except that Ray is a million times more useful in combat and doesn't depend much on the MC in holding his own against non-final boss of an arc enemies.

That feature is better than stuff like Smartphone or Hyakuren no Haou, where there is no close male friend of the MC around him, or like Gakusen Toshi Asterisk or Absolute Duo, where MC's male friend is weak or appears in only a few scenes like a very minor character with no action scenes and no girl of his own. I don't mind if MC has a harem, as long as a character similar to Ray that is strong and is paired with his own girl, appears in any Light Novel. I like it if such male friend characters play a significant role in the story, as I can relate strongly to that because I had such a best male friend during my high school years.
Old 2019-06-02, 10:29   Link #29
Rinvelt
駄目人間

^While it's true that characters are mostly female in Hyakuren, Yuuto does have a close friend (though their relationship is warped). And said guy has his own wife. (though we don't know if they're still together after what happened, as it's never precised. Heck, the wife disappeared from the story until suddenly getting back in vol 13 or 14 for one scene then nothing again. Kinda weird considering how useful she should be)

Also, though not close friends, Hyakuren does have many male characters, so that's something at least.
Old 2019-06-02, 10:33   Link #30
Nymene

The Dai Seirei arc's plot is
Spoiler for sp:
so that shows how important Ray is to the story that one whole arc revolves around his girl, which is something that not even Kenja no Mago did, as that novel only focuses on the MC and his main couple and didn't spend one whole arc about saving MC's best friend or such friend's girl from a cruel fate.

Therefore, in terms of story and plot, Maou Gakuin is better than Magi's Grandson, as it focuses on the other characters too instead of overly glorifying and focusing on the MC too much.
Old 2019-06-06, 07:19   Link #31
Nymene

I read this at Narou, but I've bought too the LNs volumes 1,2,3,4, and found the illustrations very good and cute.

It's too bad not many people are discussing about this superb novel here at Animesuki, as it is not often a male best friend of a MC gets lots of screentime in many battle and SOL scenes in a WN or LN. Besides, the heroines are strong too, and Male Best Friends'girl is cute too, and the battle scenes are interesting too, so this needs more attention.

My only single complaint is the lack of an interesting main antagonist that presents a long-term threat to Arnos and company. Instead we get not-so-threatening episodic antagonists per arc that.....may not be able to sustain long-term interest for those who like a story where MC and friends has to go against a more credible threat or challenge.
Old 2019-06-06, 07:39   Link #32
Rinvelt
駄目人間

Wanted to talk about the novel when I would be up to date, but I don't think I'll be before a while as I stalled it.

You can't really be harsh with antogonists, though. Anos is the strongest by definition, so nothing they can do.
The void guy was pretty nice, though, the mystery lasted for a few arcs and all.
Old 2019-06-06, 08:48   Link #33
XFire
150% done

I have to say, the utter lack of "I want to be normal"-itis in Anos is remarkably refreshing. He's actually allowed to just be the dignified badass you'd expect a demon king to be.
Old 2019-06-08, 00:50   Link #34
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

The only thing i want to wait right now is more manga updates. So far on manga, one of his Lieutenants has suffered total memory loss. Even he can't fully recover his memories due to someone did it.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-09, 23:45   Link #35
bakapervert
A pervert

Hello guys, I have read the manga translation and then continue to read the wn translation until.chapter 30 before continuing to read the raw until ch 48 right now. I want to ask about a few things due to the gap from skipping to read the raw from the beginning.

1. When Anos first met Misha, who was it who cheered for her? Later on I learned that she got shunned by her family because she was going to disappear, so how can there be family members cheering from her?
2. About Misha and Sasha going back to the past to merge with their past selves, shouldn't it cause a paradox? If their present selves went back to the past to merge with their baby selves, they shouldn't be able to continue to move forward from that point of time right?
Old 2019-06-10, 04:16   Link #36
Rinvelt
駄目人間

1. They're servants of her family acting as her parents. We don't actually hear anything about them after that.
2. Nope, no paradox. Once they're complete, they don't need to go in the past anymore, so it's not a loop.
Basically:
-Misha and Sasha go back in time and merge with their baby selves.
-Thanks to Anos' intervention, their past selves don't have memories from the future and their power is sealed too (after all, the goal of merging is getting power up, so they would immediately discover the truth if he didn't seal their power)
-Having no memories, everything happens the same as in the first timeline
-Then when it comes the time they're going to use the magic to go to the past, just before actually going into the past they recover their memories and come back to their full selves, so no need to go into the past anymore

The above is possible because at the time they do that they're in a different space time with the Guardian of Time, thus bending the time in their favour.
Old 2019-06-10, 09:56   Link #37
bakapervert
A pervert

Quote:
1. They're servants of her family acting as her parents. We don't actually hear anything about them after that.
2. Nope, no paradox. Once they're complete, they don't need to go in the past anymore, so it's not a loop.
Basically:
-Thanks to Anos' intervention, their past selves don't have memories from the future and their power is sealed too (after all, the goal of merging is getting power up, so they would immediately discover the truth if he didn't seal their power)
-Then when it comes the time they're going to use the magic to go to the past, just before actually going into the past they recover their memories and come back to their full selves, so no need to go into the past anymore

The above is possible because at the time they do that they're in a different space time with the Guardian of Time, thus bending the time in their favour.
Thanks for the reply. As someone who has read until chapter 400+, can you tell me the romance status at that point. Are the MC and heroines still "friend" or are they already lover?
Old 2019-06-10, 10:25   Link #38
Rinvelt
駄目人間

Unfortunately, the romance is pretty meh.
Misha and Sasha obviously like him, but he only sees them as important people to him (though he isn't dense and knows they like him)
Anos is kinda special in the way he lived/lives and acts, so all in all everything is alright (as in, it's not too annoying), but it's still a shame to not see their relationship go further.

The only real romance in the novel is from Anos' friend, Ray. As well as a few other characters.
Old 2019-06-10, 11:00   Link #39
bakapervert
A pervert

Well, that's pretty disappointing.
Old 2019-06-10, 17:15   Link #40
Rasty

Quote:
Basically:
Now imagine how strong they would be if it wasn't just one iteration, but 999 iterations of going back and sealing (or any finite number really). There might not be an infinite loop (this depends on the interpretation of traveling to past though), but this process clearly defies conservation of energy (magic) as in the new timeline there clearly appears magic power from nothing.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, magic academy, magic and high fantasy, male comrade present, overpowered mc