AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2015-09-10, 23:53   Link #1
Syndiciate

Western Animation and You

As you might ascertain from the title I'm curious if any of you are into Western animation and if so which ones are your favorites?

Personally my favorite WA's are Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Over the Garden Wall, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Clone Wars ( 2003 ) and Samurai Jack.

Last edited by Syndiciate; 2015-09-29 at 13:31.
Syndiciate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-11, 15:06   Link #2
Psyco Diver

I lived several, Exosquad being my favorite, Batman the animation from the 90s is regarded being on the best, Spiderman was great, and Animanacs lol
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-11, 15:17   Link #3
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Well I liked Ed, Edd, n Eddy. back way in the day. Haven't seen it in years.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-11, 16:33   Link #4
RichardFromMarple

I've got too many to list, being someone who never stopped liking them even when I grew up.

Also being the right age for when "adult" animation (Simpsons, King Of The Hill, Family Guy etc) became mainstream.

Adventure Time is my favourite among current shows, & I'm currently working my way through RWBY after hearing so many good things about it.
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-12, 11:23   Link #5
Syndiciate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardFromMarple View Post
I've got too many to list, being someone who never stopped liking them even when I grew up.

Also being the right age for when "adult" animation (Simpsons, King Of The Hill, Family Guy etc) became mainstream.

Adventure Time is my favourite among current shows, & I'm currently working my way through RWBY after hearing so many good things about it.
Ah that controversial piece. :P I haven't gotten around to it myself but eventually I'll get tired of staring at it on my Netflix screen and actually play it.
Old 2015-09-12, 11:28   Link #6
Syndiciate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyco Diver View Post
I lived several, Exosquad being my favorite, Batman the animation from the 90s is regarded being on the best, Spiderman was great, and Animanacs lol
Did you like B:TAS personally or were you just stating that it was regarded by many people as one of the best?
Old 2015-09-12, 17:32   Link #7
RichardFromMarple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndiciate View Post
Ah that controversial piece. :P I haven't gotten around to it myself but eventually I'll get tired of staring at it on my Netflix screen and actually play it.
Another series I got into recently was Avatar: The Last Airbender & it's followup Legend of Korra.

Not having Nickleoden meant I had to collect up the DVDs, but it was well worth it.
Old 2015-09-13, 21:20   Link #8
Syndiciate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardFromMarple View Post
Another series I got into recently was Avatar: The Last Airbender & it's followup Legend of Korra.

Not having Nickleoden meant I had to collect up the DVDs, but it was well worth it.
They are in the top 99% of animation for me. Well LoK is debatable but TLA definitely is.
Old 2015-09-14, 22:10   Link #9
Psyco Diver

Quote:
Did you like B:TAS personally or were you just stating that it was regarded by many people as one of the best?
Yes for two different reasons, I loved it the first time I watched it because I was a kid and it was cool lol, after growing up and looking back on some childhood show I can now appreciate the story writing of each episode, for a show promoted as a children's series it is very well written.

Exoquad was another show that was like that, awesome mechs fighting in space and different planets, looking back it was also another well written, and pretty dark series at it also that brushes on slavery, war, racism, death, ect
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-22, 19:15   Link #10
BPD Renegade

Liked too many to list, but the vast majority I watched ages ago. From what I can remember, B:TAS definitely took first place, but I was pretty partial to DuckTales, TMNT, Animaniacs, Looney Tunes & related shows, Darkwing Duck, X-men, and things like that.

I guess some newer shows are Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Young Justice, A:TLA, and LoK.

Oh yeah, does Schoolhouse Rock count?
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-22, 21:40   Link #11
Vitne Eveille

Oh man. So many different ones from different ages!

Ghostbusters
TMNT (original)
Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes (these actually got funnier as I got older - there's a decent amount of adult humor in them too)
Swat Kats
2 Stupid Dogs

Haha, for some reason I almost always accidentally say "Foster's Home for Imaginary Children"

Then stuff like Family Guy, American Dad!, Simpsons, Futurama, Beavis and Butthead

-my official website & blog-
-download my new EP (free)- ♫♫
Vitne Eveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-23, 16:00   Link #12
RichardFromMarple

After watching all of Adventure Time on Netflix I'm now working my way through The Powerpuff Girls.

It's been at least a decade since I last saw it, & it still holds up well, with plenty of self knowing humour for those who like it.
Old 2015-09-26, 22:23   Link #13
Syndiciate

For some reason the site isn't allowing me to quote your posts so I'll simply respond with an @ sign besides your names.

@Psycho Diver ( PD ): I've never heard of Exoquad but I'll be sure to give it a try once I finish watching Hajime No Ippo.

@BPD Renegade: Animaniacs was amazing. Do you mean the newer TMNT or the older version?

@Vitne Eveille ( VE ): Going off the list you presented I have a feeling you'd enjoy Rick and Morty.

@RichardFromMarple ( RFM ): I never got around to watching PPG as a kid. Would you say it's worth a watch now?
Old 2015-09-27, 00:58   Link #14
monster

As of this week, I just started watching Vixen. It's too bad that each episode is so short.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-27, 01:06   Link #15
Syndiciate

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
As of this week, I just started watching Vixen. It's too bad that each episode is so short.
Vixen? I actually just read a novel called Vixen. Is the show by any chance aimed more at adults?
Old 2015-09-27, 03:18   Link #16
monster

Quote:
Vixen? I actually just read a novel called Vixen. Is the show by any chance aimed more at adults?
It's a DC Comics cartoon, set in the same universe as two ongoing live-action TV series, Arrow and The Flash.
Old 2015-09-27, 11:43   Link #17
Syndiciate

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
It's a DC Comics cartoon, set in the same universe as two ongoing live-action TV series, Arrow and The Flash.
That's pretty cool. I knew that DC made standalone series for their more popular heroes but I would guess that Vixen is relatively unknown compared to Superman or Batman. Also there's the fact that she's a female protagonist. Not super rare to find in shows now a days but again I'm guessing this was made a while ago where the only female protagonist were Buffy and Kim Possible. I'll be sure to give it a watch.
Old 2015-09-27, 16:15   Link #18
monster

Quote:
I'm guessing this was made a while ago where the only female protagonist were Buffy and Kim Possible.
It actually just came out this year. 5 episodes have been released and I believe new episode comes out every Tuesday.
Old 2015-09-27, 16:54   Link #19
RichardFromMarple

Quote:
@RichardFromMarple ( RFM ): I never got around to watching PPG as a kid. Would you say it's worth a watch now?
Yes I would so
Old 2015-09-28, 13:32   Link #20
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Having grown up in the 80's, I have many fond memories of the cartoons of that era. Among my favorites were:
- Transformers
- Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
- MASK
- G.I. Joe
- Inspector Gadget
- Bucky O'Hare
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
- Inhumanoids (that show was very underrated. The creepiness factor probably had a hand in that)

But, I also took a liking to many of the cartoons of the early 90's:
- Tiny Toon Adventures
- Animaniacs
- Batman: TAS
- Gargoyles
- SWAT Kats
- Freakazoid!
- The Tick

And when Cartoon Network started doing original shows:
- Dexter's Laboratory
- Cow & Chicken
- The Powerpuff Girls (which had the most impact on the course of my life. and which I technically still love till this very day)

And there were also the very early cartoons of Loony Tunes, Tom & Jerry, and most of the Hanna-Barbera shows that aired between the 50's and 80's (e.g. The Flintstones, Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?). Plus, all the Disney shorts from before cartoons started airing on TV, not to mention shows like Ducktales, and all the animated feature films they made before they started sucking.

By the mid-2000's, they pretty much stopped showing them here on TV and my interest for them fizzled out, even more so when I started getting into anime.