AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Love Live!

Notices

View Poll Results: Love Live! Sunshine - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 4 26.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 5 33.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 20.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 6.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 13.33%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-07-16, 23:27   Link #41
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I strongly and passionately disagree with this. What's not believable about someone feeling strong attachment to her or his school, and wanting to save it? Especially when that school holds a strong and meaningful family connection to the person trying to save it?
Different experiences, that's all. Never've been into stuff like that, and I switched schools like crazy back in the day, so there was never much attachment until the school I graduated from, which I know for a fact is still open. Recently I found out many of the other schools I went to are closed, and it was sad, but that was after seeing the original LL.

It's not like I hated that plot point, not at all, and I was glad to see Honoka and the crew accomplish their goal with such success, its just having people close by backing you up and wanting to answer those feelings hits way closer to home, so let me change that previous statement to It's more believeable to me.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 23:30   Link #42
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nork22 View Post
The contest basically felt made up by the screenwriter in both seasons so don't think too hard about it. But if you want to take it to in world logic, I imagine the Summer version is based on popularity ranking death matches, while the Winter version is based on regional knock-out death matches, culminating in a battle to the death via top 8 or something.
So are those death matches 1v1 every week or so; or are all the entries voted on at once or by groups, then top 8 total or top 4 or so per group make it to the final round?

I predict Aqours will join the LL contest in Tokyo to represent their city, winning all the way to the final, where they manage to capture the hearts of all Japan despite losing to a strong group from Tokyo, preferably Muse. But in case Muse is no longer around by then...
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 23:55   Link #43
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
Different experiences, that's all. Never've been into stuff like that, and I switched schools like crazy back in the day, so there was never much attachment until the school I graduated from, which I know for a fact is still open. Recently I found out many of the other schools I went to are closed, and it was sad, but that was after seeing the original LL.

It's not like I hated that plot point, not at all, and I was glad to see Honoka and the crew accomplish their goal with such success, its just having people close by backing you up and wanting to answer those feelings hits way closer to home, so let me change that previous statement to It's more believeable to me.
If there are people in the real world who feel/felt passionately about saving their schools, then it's a believable motivation in a work of fiction, period. It's fine to say that certain motivations hit home more for you than others, but "believability" is something more basic than that. You don't have to personally relate to something to consider it believable. I have little interest in mahjong, and what interest I do have is solely due to the Saki anime, but I can completely accept and believe that the Saki-verse girls care a lot about this game and high school-level competitions over it. The reason I can is because there are people in real life who care a lot about all sorts of games, some of which don't interest me much.

It's completely believable for μ's to be strongly motivated to save their school. You might not have had strong feelings about it, but that doesn't mean it's not believable.

But I will say that Chika's desire to reach out to the gathered crowd and not let them down is also believable.
Old 2016-07-17, 00:56   Link #44
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
If there are people in the real world who feel/felt passionately about saving their schools, then it's a believable motivation in a work of fiction, period. It's fine to say that certain motivations hit home more for you than others, but "believability" is something more basic than that. You don't have to personally relate to something to consider it believable. I have little interest in mahjong, and what interest I do have is solely due to the Saki anime, but I can completely accept and believe that the Saki-verse girls care a lot about this game and high school-level competitions over it. The reason I can is because there are people in real life who care a lot about all sorts of games, some of which don't interest me much.

It's completely believable for μ's to be strongly motivated to save their school. You might not have had strong feelings about it, but that doesn't mean it's not believable.

But I will say that Chika's desire to reach out to the gathered crowd and not let them down is also believable.
Ok, believeable wasn't the right word to use there (can't really fight the Saki comparison, specially after reading Shinohayu). Again, I didn't even dislike the whole saving the school thing, I just find this new way a very nice alternative, and a good way to change the formula from the original live.

It was just more relatable to me, that's all.
Old 2016-07-17, 01:03   Link #45
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
Ok, believeable wasn't the right word to use there. Again, I didn't even dislike the whole saving the school thing, I just find this new way a very nice alternative, and a nice way to change formula from the original live.
Sure, that's fine. I agree with you here. Yeah, it's probably good that Aqours' main motivations are a love of school idols themselves, and a desire to emotionally connect with their supporters and not let them down.
Old 2016-07-17, 01:22   Link #46
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Sure, that's fine. I agree with you here. Yeah, it's probably good that Aqours' main motivations are a love of school idols themselves, and a desire to emotionally connect with their supporters and not let them down.
Also, with Mari and her money at the helm, the school is most likely safe from closing. Maybe not from becoming a refuge for seals and sea lions, but that's another subject.

On a slightly more serious note, I did like the speaker announcement and how improvised it ended up being. Just a nice way to show sincerity and chemistry from them.
Old 2016-07-17, 02:26   Link #47
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

1) You's hat was funny to me.

2) Girls from other schools had longer skirts than the Aqours' school girls. Thought that was odd.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 03:00   Link #48
Pen3

Don't forget that a lot of the parents in Muse went to the same school and the principle is also Kotori's mom. I am not sure if any awards or trophy was shown in the anime, but if there are then it isn't hard to assume they belong to a parent or grandparent of current students. Their siblings are also attending or going to attend that school. There is a lot more connection to them than just any random school.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 04:17   Link #49
Kakurin
大佐

A mixed-bag of an episode. The You-Chika dynamic was nice. As is the approach with a very warm-hearted town/city, making use of the different setting of a smaller community compared to Otonokizaka in Tokyo. The negative was the messed up pacing. While the first half passed far too quickly the second half wasted time with the artificial attempt at creating a bit of tension/drama with Chika getting the date wrong and hardly anybody showing up at first. Considering the support/disband condition of Mari I couldn't take it seriously. Reminded me in a way of the last arc of the first Muse season with Kotori which I did not appreciate as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
Even the group name has more meaning and dept than Muse. Aquors is named after the beach where the 3 main girls met, while Muse is just about musical goddess.
You may know more about it from other stuff, but from an anime-only point of view at this point the name "Aqours" is a random name they picked up on the beach. No difference whatsover to Muse finding their name from a random single suggestion in the box. I don't quite get why you try to force a Aqours > Muse angle with this post.
Old 2016-07-17, 04:38   Link #50
novalysis

I really think that this episode, more than ever resembles a musical, down to Dia's impromptu, public objection to Chika at the end of the performance.

Also, based on hints in the OP, and hints dropped over the past three episodes, I won't be surprised that three third years have a very intense history with one another, and during their first year, tried to form an idol group to compete in Love Live, and might have even succeeded at making it all the way to Live performances. These hints makes me think we will be going in depth with the past of the Senpais, and this will make the first major deviation from the plot-line formula that is playing out so far.

That's not to say that Love Live Sunshine is a clone of it's predecessor. It is certainly following the same general plot formula, but the details of the execution of the said formula is substantially different from the first Love Live series, that it is sufficiently distinct. Already, the seeds for a divergence are already in place, from the likely significance of the history between the Senpais to the development of Aquors being foreshadowed rather blatantly; to the challenge of diverging from Muse and forming their own identities. There are going to be conflicts in the first series that are unlikely present in Sunshine, for example, the lack of Performance Venues, since there will no doubt be ample considering the setting. I won't be surprised if we get a performance where the entire group are in diving suits, performing on a boat, in a call back to the dive in Episode 2.

Also, I have a suspicion that Baka Chika is going to produce dramatic issues down the line. Unlike Honoka whose airheadedness largely does not seem to affect the functioning of Muse, it seems quite possible that Chika's ditziness and carelessness might once again produce another source of drama and tension for Aquors, beyond the performance we've seen this episode.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 04:49   Link #51
R.LocK
My turn

I finally caught the moment where Chika mistook the date since I was only looking at the posters where it was clearly written 日曜日. And here I thought why Dia was so angry at the announcement.

Bakachika broadcasted the wrong date to the whole town. That girl...
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 06:10   Link #52
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
@R.LocK
It might be a simple mistake, but she got her audience thanks to Mito-nee and her fellow students!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 09:15   Link #53
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan poor View Post
Girls from other schools had longer skirts than the Aqours' school girls. Thought that was odd.
Not really. School girls in Kobe even had ankle length skirts.

The setting is basically the coastal Japanese countryside, so I guess the people there will be more conservative than those in the city.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 09:23   Link #54
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Mari was more over the top than I expected her to be. She's like Eri on drugs
Old 2016-07-17, 11:39   Link #55
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Are you comparing Mari to Eli cos they're both white? lol
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 15:54   Link #56
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Are you comparing Mari to Eli cos they're both white? lol
how come white is the first thing on your mind before blonde or foreigner
Old 2016-07-18, 17:42   Link #57
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjastarforcex View Post
how come white is the first thing on your mind before blonde or foreigner
Skin color comes first always! It's more interesting to separate the white characters from a generally all-japanese cast.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 18:27   Link #58
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Skin color comes first always! It's more interesting to separate the white characters from a generally all-japanese cast.
they are all whhite ffs
Old 2016-07-18, 22:23   Link #59
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
She's not like Eri Ayase to be honest. Mari Ohara is a "my pace" character with a loony personality!

If you're talking about a character similar to Ericchi, there's Dia Kurosawa. But unlike Eri Ayase, Dia-sama is a hardcore μ's fan.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 22:56   Link #60
Pen3

How is Eri not a μ's fan?
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote