AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2019-07-06, 13:07   Link #21
AntonKutovoi

First episode was pretty good. Although Zero flashbacks without Yuki Kajiura's music felt wrong, but it can't be helped, I suppose.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 14:05   Link #22
Jarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
First episode was pretty good. Although Zero flashbacks without Yuki Kajiura's music felt wrong, but it can't be helped, I suppose.
Composer for Case Files is Yuki Kajiura though.
Jarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 14:34   Link #23
AntonKutovoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarly View Post
Composer for Case Files is Yuki Kajiura though.
Wait. You're right . Then why Fate/Zero OST wasn't used for Iskandar scenes, I wonder...
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 16:06   Link #24
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
Wait. You're right . Then why Fate/Zero OST wasn't used for Iskandar scenes, I wonder...
I presume, because Kajiura left her label and is freelancer now, thare are some right issues.

Last edited by Nachtwandler; 2019-07-06 at 18:23.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 18:41   Link #25
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was a really great first episode. I always wondered why Waver took on Kayneth's name given that he hated his guts, and this episode explained the reason. I don't think he should feel responsible for his death though. As he mentioned himself, Kayneth would have most likely ended up dying even if he had summoned Iskandar. And no matter how great a mage and teacher he was, he was still a total dick.

I found it interesting that people believe Kayneth was killed by Saber. This will probably be relevant.

I really loved the scenes with Reines. Smug and crafty lolis are awesome.
Old 2019-07-06, 19:46   Link #26
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Finally, a Fate anime spin off that's relevant to the main timeline (unlike Prisma Illya & Apoc) that's not littered with trashy fanservice (unlike Prisma Illya & Apoc) and (I hope) not filled with gender-swapped heroic spirits for no reason (unlike Apoc). I also assume that the story in this show will be a lot more engaging than that Fate-food show. Furthermore, it's a continuation story of one of my favorite characters from the best Fate anime to date.

Really enjoy this episode. Let's hope the quality remain solid from start to finish.

Still, for negatives, I gotta say that the BGM sometimes overpower the dialogues a bit. I know Kajiura's music is great but the anime director needs to consider the balance in the presentation more.
Old 2019-07-06, 21:11   Link #27
Wandering Soul

That was a pretty good start. While I get why Waver wants to honor Kayneth, he really shouldn't blame himself for Kayneth's death. Kayneth knew what he was getting himself involved in and it's not like he would have hesitated to screw over Waver if their situations were reversed.

Reines is a real delight so far.
Old 2019-07-06, 21:56   Link #28
Random14

Ah, Waver is such an earnest young man. Its enough to almost throw Reines off a bit. Talk about a complicated situation. Its not like Waver liked Kayneth much, but he still feels like he owes something, so now he's basically agreed to rebuild the El-Melloi family.

I liked the earlier 0 episode more but this episode works as an introduction to set up everything, such as why Waver insists he be addressed as El-Melloi II. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series, especially all the lore this series will get into.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-07, 02:23   Link #29
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I feel like the terminology/subs could've been a bit clearer this episode. When the girl asked Waver why he took on Lord El Melloi's "class" I originally thought she meant "class" as in the title, the Lord El Melloi title, not a school class. I was confused throughout the entire conversation because I was left wondering how he managed to take on the title just by borrowing money and obviously without the family's consent. It was only when the girl then asked Waver to take on the title that I realised what the conversation was actually about.

Anyway, it was a decent episode. I was hoping there would be more of a hook to sell the story than it just relying on being about Fate/Zero's Waver Velvet but the tone was right enough for me to consider this "actual" canon.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-07, 06:13   Link #30
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Here for Reines
Old 2019-07-07, 06:58   Link #31
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

One thing I forgot to mention though: When Waver and his friend were driving off into the sunset in the motorcycle, they started laughing like they had some kind of grand adventure...which seemed kinda odd considering they just killed a load of people...
Old 2019-07-07, 08:03   Link #32
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
One thing I forgot to mention though: When Waver and his friend were driving off into the sunset in the motorcycle, they started laughing like they had some kind of grand adventure...which seemed kinda odd considering they just killed a load of people...
None of whom were innocent.
Old 2019-07-07, 08:57   Link #33
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Weren't they? I doubt Waver would have had enough time to gauge their circumstances.

But even then, I wouldn't exactly be laughing at their deaths like it was some kind of sport.
Old 2019-07-07, 09:12   Link #34
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Generally speaking mages and especially anyone from the Grail Wars are a bit not right in the head at best

Quote:
I was hoping there would be more of a hook to sell the story than it just relying on being about Fate/Zero's Waver Velvet but the tone was right enough for me to consider this "actual" canon
What do you mean? It is canon AFAIK
Old 2019-07-07, 09:27   Link #35
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Generally speaking mages and especially anyone from the Grail Wars are a bit not right in the head at best
Sorry but I don't buy that. Waver is awkward at best and definitely not heartless. And he's been (almost)consistently characterised as the most normal and down to earth type.

Quote:
What do you mean? It is canon AFAIK
Canon as in my own headcanon. XP
Old 2019-07-07, 09:39   Link #36
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Sorry but I don't buy that. Waver is awkward at best and definitely not heartless. And he's been (almost)consistently characterised as the most normal and down to earth type.
He is, but well, how to say.....That's still by Fate standards. In Fate generally, such a scene is par for the course and mild actually especially (and this is very important) the baddie is a minor mook. When people give import in Fate to loss of life it usually involves plot-relevant named characters. It's totally different from Kimetsu no Yaiba for example
Old 2019-07-07, 10:51   Link #37
Side-streetdog

I like first episode
Unlike what I expected which, just throw a lot action scenes like other anime
This not only set theme of this series, it's also explained Waver situation too (I had expected to be in episode 2, as most of anime have explanation in episode 2)
I think next episode would dive into whatever arc they want to put in the show immediately
I always want to see anime outside of Holy Grail Wars in Type-moon universe
And now I have higher expectation for this series
Old 2019-07-07, 11:51   Link #38
bakato

Quote:
Weren't they? I doubt Waver would have had enough time to gauge their circumstances.

But even then, I wouldn't exactly be laughing at their deaths like it was some kind of sport.
Yeah. They were armed, working for a guy who enslaved random passer-by mages, and desecrating Iskandar's grave. I'm sure they were innocent.
Old 2019-07-07, 12:52   Link #39
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Some of them were armed. Others were shown running away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
He is, but well, how to say.....That's still by Fate standards. In Fate generally, such a scene is par for the course and mild actually especially (and this is very important) the baddie is a minor mook. When people give import in Fate to loss of life it usually involves plot-relevant named characters. It's totally different from Kimetsu no Yaiba for example
Bear in mind that this is the same guy that was shown mourning a cat and horrified at what Caster had done in the sewers. Sorry, but Waver just never struck me as that kind of person.
Old 2019-07-07, 13:06   Link #40
GDB

Really enjoyed the episode. Only things that felt weird was the "timing" of things. Like, 7 months after the war and Waver's hair is now like a foot longer. And then 29 months after that he's now about the height of Adult Waver (29cm (almost a foot) taller) and has that deep voice. This would all make sense if he wasn't already 19 in Fate/Zero, but this isn't a fault of the anime as all of this was already established lore.

Can't wait for more, but I hope they don't do any more of that "let's see things through Waver's PoV" like in the ending credits scene with Grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I found it interesting that people believe Kayneth was killed by Saber. This will probably be relevant.
I assume its only purpose is to make Waver further detest Arturia than he already does (after she tried to kill him on the overpass that cost Iskander his chariot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
and (I hope) not filled with gender-swapped heroic spirits for no reason (unlike Apoc).
The only gender bend was Frankenstein, who was clearly modeled after Frankenstein's Bride instead. Or Mordred who is a clone of Arturia, so again it works in-universe lore because of how that was already established.

Unless you're complaining that the serial killer with an unknown identity and several strong cases made that they were female was portrayed as a female instead of male, in which case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
That was a pretty good start. While I get why Waver wants to honor Kayneth, he really shouldn't blame himself for Kayneth's death. Kayneth knew what he was getting himself involved in and it's not like he would have hesitated to screw over Waver if their situations were reversed.
While Waver wouldn't know how badly Diarmuid screwed over Kayneth's plans, he definitely did super screw him over with his knightly honor and curse mark. That said, Iskander likely wouldn't have been having any of Kayneth's nonsense either, so he definitely was screwed either way. But Waver probably felt that if HE could survive with Iskander, Kayneth would too even if he'd lose. It's wrong, but this is Waver.

Quote:
I was hoping there would be more of a hook to sell the story than it just relying on being about Fate/Zero's Waver Velvet but the tone was right enough for me to consider this "actual" canon.
I mean... he's in the title of the series.

Quote:

They were working for a guy who was capturing magi and sacrificing them to use their magical circuits. They saw their comrades die excavating, but didn't care. They weren't innocent.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote