Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-03-14, 04:49   Link #1
Silencers
My best friend is a gun

Send a message via Yahoo to Silencers
'Delayed Write Failure' in WinXP when downloading via torrents

I've been having some serious problems having my PC slow down to a complete freeze after receiving the 'Delayed Write Failure' everytime I use a torrent to download.

I've googled and tried many suggestions including disabling my write caching for the HDD [didn't work], changing the LargeSystemCache registry key from 0 to 1 [didn't work], and back to 0 [still didn't work]. I even reinstalled WinXP, twice, but it still happens. In case you ned to know my specs;

AMD 64 2800 s754
MSI K8N Neo3 motherboard
1GB DDR RAM
WD 250GB SATA-II

I don't think my harddisk is TOO SLOW for read/write, but could insufficient power be the problem? If so, the wierd thing is that I've been using this sytem for months, and the problem just occured a few days ago. Thanks for the help.
Old 2006-03-14, 05:19   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

WD - as in Western Digital? You should download their disk analysis tool and check that your hard drive is "ok". I've seen "Delayed Write Failure" before but only when the disk, disk controller or related drivers are having issues. I can't really say if insufficient power would cause such issues, but I suppose it is possible... defect in the hard disk is more likely.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-14, 05:25   Link #3
Sides

You may want to try installing new driver for your SATA controller.
IRC, winxp (all windows os) installs generic drivers, which can generate some trouble.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-14, 12:41   Link #4
Danj
Tech Bloke

Send a message via ICQ to Danj Send a message via AIM to Danj Send a message via MSN to Danj Send a message via Yahoo to Danj
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish
WD - as in Western Digital? You should download their disk analysis tool and check that your hard drive is "ok". I've seen "Delayed Write Failure" before but only when the disk, disk controller or related drivers are having issues. I can't really say if insufficient power would cause such issues, but I suppose it is possible... defect in the hard disk is more likely.
I agree with this. If you have trouble finding the WD diagnostic utility on WD's own website, you can grab the Ultimate Boot CD which contains it and a number of other useful utilities. Then just burn it to CD and boot off it, it's menu driven so it's pretty easy to use.
Danj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-15, 11:19   Link #5
Silencers
My best friend is a gun

Send a message via Yahoo to Silencers
I downloaded the analysis tool from WD as you suggested. Turns out the HD fails the quick test under 2 seconds. Looks like I'm gonna have to burn loads of stuff away [over 150GB] before attempting any repairs.

Thanks for the tip, guys!
Old 2006-03-15, 11:48   Link #6
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Here is my tip. Unplug that drive right now. From my experience, your drive has a finite amount of time left before it dies. Wait until you get the replacement drive from warranty or purchase and then copy all the data over at once. If the copy fails, try doing one directory at a time. Hmm, maybe copy off any non-anime critical data first before you take the drive out.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-15, 13:06   Link #7
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencers
I downloaded the analysis tool from WD as you suggested. Turns out the HD fails the quick test under 2 seconds.
Have you look up the error code on WD's site ?
Failing a test -> something wrong
Analysing Result-> knowing what wrong and you might be able to fix it.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote