AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-12-21, 09:45   Link #1
Ending

Post "No Signal" at Resolution Change

The problem is this:

Installed the newest nVidia drivers after which every time I try to change resolution I get "no signal" from my monitor. Okay, it's fine; the signal comes back after a few seconds with the desired resolution, but this wait is quite annoying -especially since now every game has it at launch (some of them even reverting to minimum resolution and I need to -blank- change -blank- it back). I tried the regular solutions (reinstalling drivers, getting beta drivers, reverting back to older drivers) but the problem does not go away.

So I have this feeling like the setup of new drivers removed something that should had not been removed -I just don't have a idea what it might had been. Anyway, needed to format my machine in any case, but before that it would be nice to know how to fix the problem in case those drivers do the tricks again.

Ideas?

(Specs: Win2k with latest updates, drivers with latest updates, Hitachi 17" TFT, no other display-devices.)
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 10:18   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Did you try installing custom made drivers for your card? I.e. if it's an Asus card try downloading their drivers instead of the nVidia ones.

I had a related problem with drivers as well. The Radeon drivers provided by ATI sometimes made video playback look greenish (mostly wmv but avi too). I solved this by downloading the customized ones by Asus. Good luck
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 14:35   Link #3
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Can it be that you are currently using a resolution that is not supported by the monitor? The card can suport the resolution but the monitor cannot. I had the same issue a few years ago (17" monitor supported 1024x768 but I set for 1280x1024 - screen will "turn off" but will set to my resolution after 5 sec).
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-21, 15:58   Link #4
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
Can it be that you are currently using a resolution that is not supported by the monitor? The card can suport the resolution but the monitor cannot. I had the same issue a few years ago (17" monitor supported 1024x768 but I set for 1280x1024 - screen will "turn off" but will set to my resolution after 5 sec).
He said that this happens after he installed the newest nVidia drivers and AFAIK doing this does not change your screen resolution without you knowing...
Old 2004-12-21, 17:49   Link #5
Ending

17" TFT has a native resolution of 1280x and that is what I'm using when possible. It does not matter what resolution the signal is as the *monitor* scales it to fit the screen in any case (you know: those non-native resolutions). Even if it didn't, this problem came out only after installing the latest drivers and affects all applications that run full-screen. For example:

1) Game loads in a window, changes to full-screen at 800x resolution.
2) A few seconds wait with screen blank, listening the menu music.
3) Menu, change resolution back to 1280x.
4) More wait while listening the jolly music of Evil Genius.

Even if it loaded straight to 1280x it still has that blank time when entering full-screen. Bleh.
Old 2004-12-21, 19:35   Link #6
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Lalalalalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_
Did you try installing custom made drivers for your card? I.e. if it's an Asus card try downloading their drivers instead of the nVidia ones.

I had a related problem with drivers as well. The Radeon drivers provided by ATI sometimes made video playback look greenish (mostly wmv but avi too). I solved this by downloading the customized ones by Asus. Good luck
I hope you get where I'm going at...
Old 2004-12-22, 00:21   Link #7
Hypnos

A no signal error could also be from the monitor switching off from the video card sending too high of a resolution/refresh rate. Try lowering your refresh rate.
Hypnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 01:28   Link #8
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Also check your DirectX drivers. Make sure you have DirectX 9.0c (run dxdiag). It could be that the DirectX was overwritten when you installed the driver. As _Sin_says, try to uninstall the latest driver and go back.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 10:23   Link #9
Ending

Latest drivers and that includes DirectX. I ran DxDiag and no problems. TFT monitors do not really care for refresh rates and currently it is set to 60. Besides, those blank screens come only when changing resolutions or entering full-screen and work a-okay afterwards. It's just the change.

As to the custom drivers, all I want are just good o'le nVdia drivers without hassles. Been using those since... ever. I'll try to find them though; if MSI has them at all...
Old 2004-12-22, 10:34   Link #10
Shadowlord
~DESU

you should always use the drivers directly from Nvidia as the drivers that come with your video card are often outdated. As an example the drivers for my BFG GeForce 6800GTOC were out of date by months.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 10:51   Link #11
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord
you should always use the drivers directly from Nvidia as the drivers that come with your video card are often outdated. As an example the drivers for my BFG GeForce 6800GTOC were out of date by months.
That might be true in most cases but what do I gain if I get my drivers directly from the chip manufacturer and they mess up other parts of PC?
Old 2004-12-22, 20:04   Link #12
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

They don't. If they do, you have shitty components.
killmoms is offline   Reply With Quote