AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2023-07-31, 19:56   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1089 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Break's over, so you know what that means! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for info:

-Chapter title is "The Barricading Incident". Splash features Nami and Sanji.

-The chapter starts at Luffy's hometown, Foosha Village. We see various residents (mayor Woop Slap, Makino and her baby, Dadan, etc.) reacting to the news of Garp's disappearance and Luffy's involvement in the Egghead incident. Suddenly, a huge earthquake starts! We then get another glimpse of Lulusia.... or what remains of it, anyway. It's now been reduced to a huge crater in the ocean (similar to the one at Enies Lobby). It's been six days since the nation has been erased, and it seems its destruction is the cause of the earthquake..... which is felt all around the world. As it turns out, the world's seas have been elevated by one meter, a phenomenon that causes several islands around the globe to sink....!!!

-Back to Egghead. Kizaru takes out one of Vegapunk's weaponized sea beasts, then gets in contact with Sentoumaru, asking him to surrender. Vegapunk's bodyguard refuses, though. Kizaru then has a brief flashback of Vegapunk studying his power so he could recreate the beam technology. Sentoumaru is disgusted that Borsalino has now come to kill them, but the admiral replies that, as unfortunate as it may be, he has to follow orders, as Vegapunk's crime of researching the Void Century is too great.....

-The island is surrounded by a hundred battleships, cutting off all possible escape routes. There's also at least NINE vice admirals present (made up of both old and new faces), as well as 30,000 regular soldiers.... all of whom are led by Kizaru and Saturn. Speaking of the elder, he orders the marines to destroy the refugee ships that escaped the island earlier! Meanwhile, in the mainland, York once again gets in contact with the elders (Saturn and Kizaru included), demanding to know why they're trying to kill her. They answer that it's because she's also a Vegapunk.... however, they'll consider sparing her in exchange for her lab and services. For you see, York was the one who provided them with the Mother Flame weapon that erased Lulusia! The island's technology is far too valuable for them to lose, so they once again agree to make her a Celestial Dragon.... as long as she continues working for them.

-Yes, it seems the negotiations are going quite well.... but what the elders and marines don't know is that York is being held hostage by the Straw-Hats!!! She suddenly yells for them to save her from Luffy, shocking them all! Our heroes now have a better grasp of the situation.... aside from Luffy, that is. However, one thing he does know for certain is that they can use York as their shield to safely escape the island....!!!!

-Just a heads-up, but there's NO CHAPTER NEXT WEEK! This isn't an Oda break, but a holiday break for the magazine. That being said, expect 1090 to hit in a couple weeks' time!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2023-08-03 at 09:34.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-31, 20:13   Link #2
Gerard07

Having seen the spoilers, the news of Garp's disappearance spread quickly (how will Luffy and Dragon react...), I wonder if Kid and Law's defeats will also be made public, and in EggHead, York is making a victim for himself being saved, well wait for more spoilers.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-01, 03:16   Link #3
Hoodspirit

If what I heard is true, the call for help is a plot by the Straw Hats Pirates to defeat the Marines as they are already in control of York. <<unconfirmed Spoiler

Going on the offensive against a massive fleet that would definitely shake the world.
For the Marines to lose 100 ships when they are already spread thin is a hole they shouldn't be able to fill for a while.
(Among the other possible big outcomes for Kizaru/Saturn)
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-01, 17:01   Link #4
grecefar

oda is really milking the big egghead event...
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-01, 17:30   Link #5
marvelB

Full summary is out, so I updated accordingly! Boy, this arc just gets wilder and wilder. Natural disasters, hostage negotiations, WMD conspiracies.... yikes. Think it's pretty obvious that Luffy and co. won't have an easy escape, especially with Kizaru and Saturn there. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought along the Croc/Dofla/Moria Seraphims, too.... I doubt Oda would have revealed them so recently if they WEREN'T going to see some action, soon. Besides, I still wanna see how Croc's power can be recreated if Vegapunk is still incapable of copying Logia abilities.....

Also, is it just me, or is the whole rising sea level thing supposed to be Oda's not-so-subtle commentary on climate change?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-02, 12:03   Link #6
hyuugalegacy
Otaku, author wannabe

From the summary sounds like a solid chapter. I only hope they don't go down the deus ex machina route of "Actually one of the Vegapunks actually has a weapon that can help us break out of our situation"

Garp is obviously still alive. They wouldn't kill off a character like him without milking it for all its worth.

As earlier chapters have shown us, numbers don't really matter, it's the quality of the strong individual fighters. I know they are supposed to be high up, but outside Garp and Otsuru I consider the vice admirals throw away pieces at this point. As far back as I can remember, I don't recall them doing anything much. Anyway having confirmation that Lulusia's destruction was a weapon made by Vegapunk is good to know. Just the threat of such tech being created and utilised outside the WG is a strong card. Although, it makes the logic of killing them that much plausible.

Last edited by hyuugalegacy; 2023-08-02 at 12:14.
hyuugalegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-02, 13:12   Link #7
grecefar

Lol god usopp looked so evil at the end.
Old 2023-08-02, 16:51   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This chapter cements that the One Piece world is not like our world. You'd expect a gaping hole in the middle of the ocean to get filled by water and lower the overall sea level, but instead the hole remains and sea levels increased by a whopping one meter which is enormous. It's either that or this weapon bends the laws of physics.

I guess it explains why the Celestial Dragons live on the Red Line, it's the safest place in the world given how high it is. The Mother Flame is definitely an attempt to recreate an ancient weapon that was once used near Enies Lobby.
Old 2023-08-02, 20:42   Link #9
Gerard07

Having seen the chapter, the water level rose 1 meter due to what happened in the Kingdom of Lulucia; Could it be that the damage reached the center of the earth or something?, or maybe that place was "special" in some way?..., Sentomaru talking to Kizaru was interesting, and York was exposed as the traitor... but why does Lucci meet Mugiwara again as if nothing had happened?, is she refraining from fighting and fulfilling her mission (killing Stella) because there are many enemies with him?, to wait for the next chapter!.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-02, 22:46   Link #10
Theia_Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Full summary is out, so I updated accordingly! Boy, this arc just gets wilder and wilder. Natural disasters, hostage negotiations, WMD conspiracies.... yikes. Think it's pretty obvious that Luffy and co. won't have an easy escape, especially with Kizaru and Saturn there. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought along the Croc/Dofla/Moria Seraphims, too.... I doubt Oda would have revealed them so recently if they WEREN'T going to see some action, soon. Besides, I still wanna see how Croc's power can be recreated if Vegapunk is still incapable of copying Logia abilities.....

Also, is it just me, or is the whole rising sea level thing supposed to be Oda's not-so-subtle commentary on climate change?
My guess is Marine Captain Shuu's Rust-Rust Fruit abilities would be the most ideal, especially if it means they can manipulate the rust they create. I imagine Zoro would not be at all happy about coming across that particular ability again seeing as it cost him a sword during Enies Lobby (yubari, I think the sword was called?).

Still both surprised... and a good deal amused at how quickly the tables turned against York. Guess that's one way to spin this against the crew (though that's one that can be explained to Vivi and Wapol later, assuming they eventually meet up ).
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-03, 14:58   Link #11
Hoodspirit

This is one third of Marineford, with the steady ground advantage on the pirates side.
If we only get an escape, than the hype about this incident is just fake.
There are a dozen of devil fruit that would accomplish this without a sweat. Nobody in the world should even raise an eyebrow over this.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-03, 17:20   Link #12
Rainbowman

Surprising that the Strawhat crew got an easy handle of the situation so fast and I’m glad that they did. I bet the next chapter will be a flashback of how it happened.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-07, 06:34   Link #13
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Oda is amazing lmao
This development is so unpredictable
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-12, 16:19   Link #14
grecefar

new chapter is out, it came out of nowhere lol.