AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2023-07-17, 15:29   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1088 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

It's that time, folks! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for the info:

-Chapter title is "Last Lesson". Splash is a color page promoting the upcoming live action OP show!

-The chapter begins with a flashback of Coby's training under Garp. In a class for new recruits, the VA quizzes them: If a baby and an old man are stranded on an island, yet the only available rescue boat can only hold two people, which victim holds a higher priority? Coby answers that he'd sacrifice himself to save both victims, but Garp tells him he's wrong! It would be better to abandon the old man since he wouldn't have much time left in the world anyway, so it's better for the younger ones with a longer, brighter future to live! After the lecture, Garp gets in trouble with the other teachers, being told that all lives are equal.... but the old man disagrees. The young have a future of limitless possibilities....

-We then shift to another flashback, continuing from the Amazon Lily invasion. After Rayleigh's arrival, Blackbeard agrees to leave the island..... but he'll take 800 captive marines and one of their battleships in exchange. Unfortunately, VA Yamakaji is helpless to do anything in this situation since his forces are prohibited from engaging the emperors. However, that's when Coby steps forward, offering himself in place of his colleagues! Yamakaji agrees since he knows the young officer is a SWORD member. Back in the present, Pizarro's arm is about to crush Garp's ship, but the old hero has a plan: First, he'll create an opening for his proteges. Then, Coby will destroy Pizarro's arm while Grus aprotects the ship. Lastly, Helmeppo will guard both Coby and Grus. Coby in particular is shocked that he's tasked with facing Pizarro head-on, as he doesn't feel confident in his strength.... but there's no time to waste. Garp immediately springs into action, attacking Pizarro! As Coby faces the gigantic arm, another brief flashback takes place....

-Helmeppo admits to Garp that Coby pushed himself in his training far more than the average recruit..... to the point that the kid adopted the battleship bag training tactic! This was why the old man was confident that Coby could take care of the arm! And indeed, the young officer unleashes his Honesty Impact, destroying the arm of Pizarro (both the stone and real bodies)! After Grus catches the debris, the three young officers make it back on the ship safely, where Garp contacts them via den den mushi. He tells them to escape.... and leave him behind. After all, ALL of them represent the future of the marines. Coby wants to turn around, but a saddened, reluctant Grus holds him back. On the island, Garp finds himself surrounded by the Blackbeard crew.... and gets impaled by an ice sword created by Kuzan! As the blade starts freezing the aged marine's body, he starts laughing (in a manner not unlike Saul when he got frozen at Ohara). The narration then notifies us that in the next day's papers, it's reported that Coby safely returned to HQ, Monkey D. Garp, legendary hero of the marines, has disappeared at Hachinosu, and emperor Monkey D. Luffy has taken Egghead as his stronghold. Speaking of Egghead, the final page shows that the massive marine fleet has finally arrived....!!!!

Last edited by marvelB; 2023-07-18 at 18:07.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-17, 15:37   Link #2
grecefar

If saul is alive then there is not doubt garp is not dead. Kuzan works like that.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-17, 16:52   Link #3
Gerard07

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
If saul is alive then there is not doubt garp is not dead. Kuzan works like that.
I agree, if Aokiji left Saul alive, I don't think Garp will die now (or rather, I don't want him to do it yet), although what will happen to Koby and the rest of SWORD?, will they manage to escape?, wait for more spoilers.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-17, 17:04   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

When has Kuzan's ice ever killed someone? It's actually a weird way to end the chapter since Doflamingo just broke out of it with ease. No way Garp can't do the same.

That said, I'm pretty sure Kuzan and Garp are working together and this is all part of the plan.
Old 2023-07-17, 17:48   Link #5
electricmastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
Thing is though: Garp can be punched by any of the Blackbeard Pirates at any moment.

People can say what they will about Saul and how it ruined Robin's story, but to claim that Garp is exactly the same as Saul here would be ignoring how Blackbeard Pirates are here, whereas they weren't on Ohara.
electricmastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-17, 19:23   Link #6
marvelB

^Exactly, we can't forget that Garp is currently surrounded by an entire island full of enemies. Yes, there's no doubting the old man's power, but I'm fairly certain even he would be worn down by enough numbers. I mean, let's not forget that even freaking WHITEBEARD met his end after getting ganged up on left and right by numerous powerful enemies.... who's to say that Garp wouldn't meet a similar fate?
Old 2023-07-17, 19:54   Link #7
grecefar

I think kuzan can froze the body and make it looks like garp die and take the body to bury him, after all garp was his mentor.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-17, 22:58   Link #8
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

I could say that Aokiji did it on purpose to put someone in cryonics or cryo sleep. Doflamingo can break free because Aokiji didn't freeze him to the bones.

So far, even Blackbeard's trusted Lieutenants were suspicious of Aokiji's actions. Aokiji must have plotting something out of their reach.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-18, 18:22   Link #9
marvelB

Full summary's out, so I updated accordingly! Wow, this chapter's far more emotional than I thought. What I find particularly interesting is that we've basically been given insight on how Garp really feels about the government..... he strongly feels that the young should inherit the future, yet the ones holding absolute power are these ancient dudes who are obsessed with maintaining the status quo. I wonder if that's the reason why we never saw him make any moves to stop his own son from openly rebelling against the WG? Because I think that would make a lot of sense....

And hey, we finally got a hint of Coby's true strength! Though I'd still kinda prefer if Oda gave him a proper battle for once, but I suppose this is a start!
Old 2023-07-19, 01:07   Link #10
Rainbowman

With the Hachinosu battle done I’m glad we can return to Egghead Island in the next chapter.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-19, 06:53   Link #11
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

What Garp said during that lesson was really 100% right.

I thought Pizarro's DF was an improved version of Pica's but it's actually a shittier one, as he actually takes damage from attacks on the island (much like Robin). Pica, on the other hand, could only get hurt if you found his real body, any attack on the gigantic body was fruitless.
Old 2023-07-19, 21:38   Link #12
Gerard07

Having seen the chapter, it shows a bit of Koby when he started in the Navy, Garp hit Pizarro hard, and I agree that I thought it was an improved version of the Pica fruit but it seems that it is easier to hurt him, Koby also showed a good attack and Garp was frozen (similar to Saul), although as I mentioned before I don't think he died... (or so I hope), and in the next episode we go back to Eggheat, It will be interesting to see what happens with Vegapunk, Luffy and the robot-kid now that the ships have arrived, we look forward to the next chapter!.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-24, 04:08   Link #13
Kaz_

One of the best aspects of One Piece is seeing all those incredibly strong characters getting owned by numerous random nobodies for fun. Pizarro is probably the guy that will be the endgame boss for Franky or Robin, in Bleach/Naruto like scenario a guy like Pizarro would kill Garp with zero effort to prove his worth with a stern badass face, yet here we watch him get hurt by Coby lol. Amazing and makes them feel more relatable.
Kaz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-24, 06:13   Link #14
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Oda-sensei is really good at doing "changing of old guards to new guards" thing
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote