AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: Mahouka [LN/M] - Prologue of Disturbance (Volume 21) Rating
Perfect 10 2 28.57%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 1 14.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 2 28.57%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 14.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-02-06, 23:33   Link #21
-Mahesvara_

Finally, I've been waiting for new Mahouka stuff to talk about
-Mahesvara_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 01:27   Link #22
Userunfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashingan View Post

Also when Tatsuya analyzing the usage of Synchroliner Fusion, there was detail of magic invocation, basically it was Pure Hydrogen Bomb.
[/spoiler]
A long time planned plot bunny in my fanfic is framing the synchonized linear fusion SC magician as the wielder of Material Burst.

A HE^3 (helium 3) PURE fusion (fusing HE3 ONLY) will yield a profile identical to Material Burst...gamma xray flash, NO NEUTRONS.

How does it work? a magic form of inertial confinement?

I need more spoilers.
Userunfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 04:42   Link #23
mashingan
魔神眼

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Ah, yes, after looked more carefully, I mistook the first compound of Kanji.
I thought it was 搭 when actually it's 塔.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Userunfriendly View Post
A long time planned plot bunny in my fanfic is framing the synchonized linear fusion SC magician as the wielder of Material Burst.

A HE^3 (helium 3) PURE fusion (fusing HE3 ONLY) will yield a profile identical to Material Burst...gamma xray flash, NO NEUTRONS.

How does it work? a magic form of inertial confinement?

I need more spoilers.
The effect supposed "more like" pure hydrogen nuclear bomb, not the pure hydrogen bomb itself

The explanation is at page 45 (in the book) or at 19/33 in preview page in the first and second paragraph
Spoiler for the bomb:

About dispersing hydrogen cloud, it's was same as ozone circle? but the effect is different? Ozone Circle intended to make a wide area ozone pollution?
It supposed explained in vol 20, but usually I tend to skip the harder part
mashingan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 07:51   Link #24
azarhal

Quote:
About dispersing hydrogen cloud, it's was same as ozone circle? but the effect is different? Ozone Circle intended to make a wide area ozone pollution?
It supposed explained in vol 20, but usually I tend to skip the harder part
Ozone circle was originally created to fix the Ozone hole, so yeah, it's magic that create/gather ozone in an a large area. They use it to incapacitate people, so they don't do anything else after dispersing/gathering the cloud.

It's interesting that this magic wasn't originally planned as a weapon though...

Seems like all the s-class magic Tatsuya mentioned are about gathering/dispersing X in one place. Which means movement type magic at work.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-08, 01:51   Link #25
mashingan
魔神眼

Yes, it's mentioned in preview, of all those 10 magic, the nature of magics (almost) same each others.

That's why when Tatsuya invoked Material Burst, everyone who know SCM immediately realize it's the magic that different with any existing SCM.
Since it's unknown to them, they wouldn't be able to know what the condition to activate, the range, how to counter, etc etc.
Somehow I can understand now why USNA viewed that a real threat in visitor arc.
Old 2017-02-08, 02:32   Link #26
Userunfriendly

Quote:
Spoiler for the bomb:
Ah, sounds like a form of cold fusion. A wide area coulomb force reducer and some form of convergence magic to increase density.

Not a full multi stage device which uses explosive confinement to produce a true Hydrogen bomb blast, it sounds like super-heated air. NASTY.

Mash, a pure fusion blast from a large enough HE3 bomb would be indistinguishable from a TC bomb. (total conversion)

HE3 if fused has the same Electromagnetic profile as a conversion of matter into energy. This is also the reason why people want to mine Lunar ice to extract HE3. You can produce a fusion reactor that produces NO NEUTRONS.

sorry if i didn't make it clear. as far as the USNA's concerned, they shouldn't have been able to tell a TC blast from a HE3 blast.
Old 2017-02-08, 08:24   Link #27
mashingan
魔神眼

I'm not versed about atomic reaction there, in the preview stated, in order the plasma could reach that kind explosive power, every proton accelerated and collided each other.
It's stated too the effect was like hydrogen nuclear bomb (if I read it correctly).

I think what make USNA wary was the fact they didn't know the stage of magic invocation. In case of Synchro Linear Fusion, dispersing the high density plasma cloud to target is a must.
It's invocation is not sudden, and it's different with Tatsuya's Material Burst that virtually he just need the visual target and bang.
Old 2017-02-08, 08:53   Link #28
Medivh

Think the difference is that in material burst, the matter 'disappeared' whereas all others are just change in different state (have residue matter left over).
Medivh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-08, 08:55   Link #29
Userunfriendly

Quick lesson:

modern hydrogen bombs (multi stage device) and fission bombs use something called explosive containment to enhance the blast.

Originally, atomic weapons used massive casings made of steel to provide resistance to the blast (coming from within) to provide the best possible result. this was why post WW2, only one bomber (B 29) because the bomb was so insanely heavy.

MODERN multi stage devices and fission bombs use part of the implosion device used to initiate fission to act as the "case". The implosion created from conventional explosives acts like a steel case. (source: John Clancy novels)

Without having a "case", you're looking at something like a FAE explosion, or more commonly known as a "thermobaric" explosion. FAE or Fuel air explosive does not concentrate the blast into a single point source, but by disbursing the explosive agent, it sacrifices strength for a better area effect.

in mahouka terms, you're reducing the interference strength for better, larger area effect.

Mash, as the Okinawa Defense blast and the Yokohama blast had NO WARNING. unless the USNA was lucky enough to have instruments at sea, near the epicenter, the only logical conclusion is that satellites are the only source of data.

the usna assumed TC, based on how fast it was deployed and how powerful it was.

But, TC is not the only way these blasts could be explained.

now, suppose that synchonized linear fusion could be targeted...on a 30 kilogram container of HE3. if there was some form of explosive containment, you would have an IDENTICAL signature of the Yokohama blast.

anyway, my fanfic is on hold until i get more spoilers... :P
Old 2017-02-08, 10:05   Link #30
Medivh

I think usna reasoning is that instead of a multi step process, what happened in Yokohama is a single step process. Which they find out through the speed of invocation of the spell.
Medivh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-08, 10:12   Link #31
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medivh View Post
Think the difference is that in material burst, the matter 'disappeared' whereas all others are just change in different state (have residue matter left over).
That has more to do with Material Burst magical effect not covering a wide area though. The magic only affect the object converted into energy which haven't been larger than a flag pole so far.

Every other s-class magic seems to cover huge area with a magical effect to get something there (ozone, hydrogen, etc). Some don't do much once the zone is covered though, like ozone circle, they just put the ozone there to incapacitate people with it.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-08, 19:54   Link #32
Userunfriendly

True, that.

It seems intuitive to me that USNA spy sats would have psion detectors, considering how important SC magic is to the world.
Old 2017-02-08, 20:04   Link #33
bakato

The USNA knows it's a matter-energy conversion. That fact alone makes MB dangerous. Its potential output could easily dwarf any other magic.
Old 2017-02-08, 20:10   Link #34
amtro
Distro

If N Anon is in this thread, or forum contact me.
Old 2017-02-08, 21:02   Link #35
Userunfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
The USNA knows it's a matter-energy conversion. That fact alone makes MB dangerous. Its potential output could easily dwarf any other magic.
That was my point...a matter energy conversion blast can be counterfeited with a large enough HE3 fusion blast. See above for my reasoning.

both a HE3 blast and matter energy outputs Electro magnetic only, no neutrons. Gamma, Xray and one heck of a lot of visible light.

of course it is very hard to make HE3 fuse...explosive implosion, coloumb force reduction and convergence magic would all have to be triggered within nano seconds of each other...

PS: I need more spoilers..hopefully some speedy readers of the raw will post friday.
Old 2017-02-09, 00:33   Link #36
Crazy Frog
Dead People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Userunfriendly View Post

PS: I need more spoilers..hopefully some speedy readers of the raw will post friday.
Raw earliest probably on Monday.
Old 2017-02-09, 13:28   Link #37
AB079
Banned

Spoilers coming out, as always the Saegusa trying tu f**k with everything just because they can't assume their defeat. When will they learn?

BTW, someone has the illustrations of this vol?
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-09, 13:43   Link #38
Crazy Frog
Dead People

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
Spoilers coming out, as always the Saegusa trying tu f**k with everything just because they can't assume their defeat. When will they learn?

Still early for illustrations, novel not out yet at the bookstore.
Old 2017-02-09, 15:03   Link #39
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post

Where?

Preview's been translated. Interestingly, while Shina's oversensitivity to sound is believed to be related to magic, but there's no invocation of magic.
Old 2017-02-09, 15:26   Link #40
AB079
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Where?

Preview's been translated. Interestingly, while Shina's oversensitivity to sound is believed to be related to magic, but there's no invocation of magic.
2ch but anons are posting them on 4chan too.

There are some users saying Tatsuya is finally getting the recognition he deserves as magician but as always this needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote