AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: Mahouka [LN/M] - Master Clan Conference Arc (Volume 17-19) Rating
Perfect 10 12 25.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 21.28%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 27.66%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 14.89%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 6.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 2.13%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-07-12, 22:22   Link #81
Kadia

^Come on r u jesting?, u r about to induce the back and forth retaliation from Miyuki's fan. Please tone down your words a bit and spare this sub-forum from nonsensical debate.

To answer your question, i believe the siblings and their cohorts will pacify and eventually deepen their bonds of friendship. Still i worry more about Honoka turning to a dark side 555 Pixie as well as she reciprocates Honoka's feeling interesting isn't it?
Kadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-12, 23:36   Link #82
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadia View Post
^Come on r u jesting?, u r about to induce the back and forth retaliation from Miyuki's fan. Please tone down your words a bit and spare this sub-forum from nonsensical debate.

To answer your question, i believe the siblings and their cohorts will pacify and eventually deepen their bonds of friendship. Still i worry more about Honoka turning to a dark side 555 Pixie as well as she reciprocates Honoka's feeling interesting isn't it?
Miyuki fan here.
Wouldn't care if she went psycho. Its only one more step forward from how morally bankrupt she is. I think it would be more interesting as well.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-12, 23:56   Link #83
pampz21
ShipCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtro View Post
So how long is it going to take Miyuki to break Tatsuya's shell and topple him, any guesses?
It's going to be fun to see a possessive bitch Miyuki protecting her turf from harem orbiter hoes.
I just hope she doesn't become an outcast as the preview is hinting.
The day when Tatsuya gets his big D up; I believe that Tatsuya hasnt got his first erection. Tatsuya needs a Sx friend

We need more lewd scene.

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 08:32   Link #84
fujin of shadows

Just discover this today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy View Post
1) this guy lies the whole day long if he deems it necessary without any regret at all
2) he technically didn't lie ... he was a guardian and not a Yotsuba - true, but that doesn't matter at all since Mayumi doesn't know about that. She might perceive it as a lie nonetheless. Emotions like sadness, feeling betrayed etc. are triggered by what she believes to be true and not by the truth.
3) I assume the bigger problem and true reason for the emotions she seems to have on the cover is the family Tatsuya belongs to and his engagement.
Yes, the Yotsuba is part of the Ten Master Clans, but what right does other clans have to meddle with the Yotsuba. If they are not doing harm, they should be left be.

In the setting of the Ten Master Clans, I don't think emotions are considered for pairings, abilities and genetics are. I don't think Mayumi has the right to feel betrayed with this development. After all, Mayumi had sued Tatsuya more so than Tatsuya had used her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expertsource View Post
suddenly, an idea flashed in my head. tatsuya vs masaki is vague but, what if we go on it over gouki, after miyuki rejects masaki, gouki presses more and wants to show off that his son, the heir of ichijou clan, stronger than tatsuya and deserves miyuki more than him, also he thinks their honour as ichijou will be repaired which was damaged in the 9SC. he presses to tatsuya to vs against masaki, and he thinks in the 10mc which has less restriction(high possibly) rules, masaki can win against tatsuya.

all speculation...
I don't think Tatsuya would gamble Miyuki's feelings and vise-versa. If the ichijou press, Miyuki would probably tell them to shove it.

Force comes to shove, Tatsuya might intervene and we all know that Tatsuya can kill anyone he wants, even Masaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP24 View Post
As long as their dirty misdeeds are not revealed, I'd say the 4 most known to readers (Yotsuba, Saegusa, Ichijou, Kudou) have the best chance to be selected to the Ten Master Clans.

-Yotsuba is guaranteed because of their huge power with Maya, Tatsuya and Miyuki in it.
-Ichijou is probably guaranteed too because it has Masaki who is a national asset.
-Saegusa should be as well since they're the 2nd most powerful family.
-Kudou very likely because it has Lina who is related and Retsu who is the de facto leader of the Japanese Magic Community.
Lina might have the Kudou's blood but I don't think she is part of the Kudoui clan. Her loyalties is with the USNA, so she doesn't count.
fujin of shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 10:47   Link #85
erbrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Miyuki fan here.
Wouldn't care if she went psycho. Its only one more step forward from how morally bankrupt she is. I think it would be more interesting as well.
She's not morally bankrupt at all.

Why are people painting Miyuki as a terrible person? All she has done is get angry at people throwing insults at Tatsuya, get jealous, and be selfish with Tatsuya.
erbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 14:30   Link #86
Jiminy

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbrah View Post

Why are people painting Miyuki as a terrible person? All she has done is get angry at people throwing insults at Tatsuya, get jealous, and be selfish with Tatsuya.
Miyuki is a Yotsuba

basic math:
Yotsuba + moral =
Jiminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 15:09   Link #87
steam fish

have a question, if tatsuya was aiming to kill in his fights like against lina or against katsushiges guardians, would it be easier for him?
steam fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 15:32   Link #88
Iramohs

Quote:
have a question, if tatsuya was aiming to kill in his fights like against lina or against katsushiges guardians, would it be easier for him?
Yes. He could just use Trident(his triple decomposition) and banish them to oblivion. That's why he's so dangerous.
Iramohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 18:08   Link #89
anonfr

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy View Post
Miyuki is a Yotsuba

basic math:
Yotsuba + moral =
Wow. That is a shockingly convincing argument.
anonfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 19:20   Link #90
IceHism

Quote:

So you don't think the lack of respect for other humans and a lack of empathy isn't in some way sociopathic to you?
I like the yotsuba and have no problem with them. But they are what society would commonly call "morally bankrupt".
I'm not saying they are criminals or anything. Just look at the attitude they treat others who aren't directly important to them and you will see.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 20:07   Link #91
bakato

Quote:
So you don't think the lack of respect for other humans and a lack of empathy isn't in some way sociopathic to you?
I like the yotsuba and have no problem with them. But they are what society would commonly call "morally bankrupt".
I'm not saying they are criminals or anything. Just look at the attitude they treat others who aren't directly important to them and you will see.
And where are you getting this "lack of respect for other humans and a lack of empathy"? If you're talking about killing enemies, every character would be "morally bankrupt."

Last edited by bakato; 2015-07-13 at 20:54.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 20:30   Link #92
erbrah

Quote:
What? Miyuki felt terrible after she killed those people in yokohoma. She wished Tatsuya was home because she felt bad. She also felt bad when she didn't properly control Nilfheim on the Blanche members and thought she killed them.

I'm pretty sure she is at least superficially nice, but so are most characters. She only loses composure like I said when it involves jealousy or insult towards Tatsuya.

Also, morals and moral acts are up for debate between anyone.
erbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 23:51   Link #93
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Quote:
What? Miyuki felt terrible after she killed those people in yokohoma. She wished Tatsuya was home because she felt bad. She also felt bad when she didn't properly control Nilfheim on the Blanche members and thought she killed them.

I'm pretty sure she is at least superficially nice, but so are most characters. She only loses composure like I said when it involves jealousy or insult towards Tatsuya.

She also wanted to cast Cocytus into a mass of people that may or may not have had allies and innocents mixed in because it was annoying to kill them one at a time.

The edge of sadomasochism is paper thin
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 02:22   Link #94
somerand

Quote:

"“Onii-sama, is something on your mind?”
Even if this was a direct strike, this sort of questioning was probably a little too direct. Even Tatsuya looked at his sister with a dumbfounded expression, though that might be precisely the reason why he didn’t try to muddy the issue.
“I’m just a little concerned about the circumstances surrounding Shippou.”
“……Onii-sama. If you ever feel that you’re unable to forgive his insolence, please let me know.”
“Wait, wait, Miyuki. Don’t be so hasty.”
Seeing the malicious glint flashing in the depths of Miyuki’s eyes that bordered on killing intent, Tatsuya frantically waved his hand left and right. "

She gets murderous over mere insults directed at her brother.

"Only one of them dared to raise a hand towards Miyuki's Onii-sama.
That asinine man was already frozen.
However, for her, this level of retribution could be said to be sufficient, but at the same time unsatisfactory.
A sufficient reason.
An unsatisfactory result.
Before the young girl's slim figure, two rows of men stood there, unable to move at all.
Both mentally — and physically.
The floor was covered by a solid layer of white frost.
The only place that shared the same season as the outer world was a small circle that spread around where the young girl stood.
The white mist condensed into a tornado.
The frost turned the air bitterly cold.
She raised her right hand.
In this reality, she stood like the Queen of Ice about to render judgement upon the damned.
"You are all very unfortunate."
Her tone was entirely different from usual.
However, these words that were filled with majesty, judgement, and authority were in no way incompatible with her appearance.
"If you had not raised your hand against Onii-sama, I had planned to go easy on you."
The cold air slowly rose.
Gradually, the cold corroded their bodies.
The faces of the men were contorted with sheer terror and utter despair.
"I am not merciful like my Onii-sama."
The white mist rose to throat level.
"Pray. Pray that you will retain your pitiful lives."
The chilling air that utterly covered the men from head to toe abruptly turned the atmosphere solemn.
Wide Area Oscillation Speed Magic "Niflheim".
Silent screams permeated the deepening mist. "

She didn't need to blast them with Niflheim at all, she did it purely because she was "unsatisfied" with simply capturing them after what they did to her brother, which was absolutely nothing, they failed to effect Tatsuya at all, it was merely an attempt.

She told them to pray that they retain their lives, before blasting the mercilessly with A class magic, it was force far beyond what was required for a group of people not even resisting. She did it purely because they "raised their hands" against Tatsuya.

It was even stated in the novel that what her and Tatsuya did was excessive.
"The actions of Tatsuya and co could be construed as excessive self defense at best, or unlicensed use of magic causing injury and attempted murder at worst, but the arm of the law would not extend to them. -- "

"Miyuki's eyes shone with a fully serious light. Seeing that far too deep obsession, it seemed like Lina would laugh it off as deception, but she only let out a chuckle. "

Miyuki is obsessive and can easily resort to extreme violence for something as simply as attempting to act against her brother. There's nothing that mentioned she didn't properly control her Nilfheim.

"As expected, it seemed she repented her use of 'Niflheim' as having been too much.
Fortunately, due to the Blanche members being caught by chance in a cold sleeve (owing to the nature of the magic, the internals of the members had been snap frozen in the blink of an eye, avoiding membrane rupture), it seemed they had not suffered irreplaceable losses to their flesh ."

She felt that it may have been excessive later on, but does attempting to mass murder people simply because they "raised their hands" against her brother make it okay simply because she felt bad after? As seen by her telling them to "Pray for their pitiful lives", at the point in time when she used the magic, she had complete knowledge that she was potentially about to commit mass murder on people that were disarmed and not even attempting to resist.
somerand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 03:26   Link #95
Jiminy

Quote:

It's a long time ago since I read the early volumes but If I recall it correctly then there is a major difference between manga and books

In the manga she suffers deeply because she hurt others. In the books ... well let's say her pity is limited. It's more about wanting to be with Tatsuya than actually caring about the victims.
Jiminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 04:13   Link #96
Kadia

Seems like nitpicking becomes the norm while we are waiting for the forthcoming volume. Nonetheless, one of the reasons why i like Mahouka and i enjoy rereading it is depending on the context u sometimes cannot take the wording at face value. I myself admit that i usually am under cognitive bias when reading and interpreting the underlying meaning behind dialogue b/n character including narration so i usually refrain from giving arguments which may rub somebody the wrong way.

My point is that Narration is subjective and the meaning of it can be distorted when look at it from different POV. Where are u guys trying to lead this discussion to, it's not fruitful IMO?
Kadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 06:00   Link #97
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerand View Post
"“Onii-sama, is something on your mind?”
Even if this was a direct strike, this sort of questioning was probably a little too direct. Even Tatsuya looked at his sister with a dumbfounded expression, though that might be precisely the reason why he didn’t try to muddy the issue.
“I’m just a little concerned about the circumstances surrounding Shippou.”
“……Onii-sama. If you ever feel that you’re unable to forgive his insolence, please let me know.”
“Wait, wait, Miyuki. Don’t be so hasty.”
Seeing the malicious glint flashing in the depths of Miyuki’s eyes that bordered on killing intent, Tatsuya frantically waved his hand left and right. "

She gets murderous over mere insults directed at her brother.

"Only one of them dared to raise a hand towards Miyuki's Onii-sama.
That asinine man was already frozen.
However, for her, this level of retribution could be said to be sufficient, but at the same time unsatisfactory.
A sufficient reason.
An unsatisfactory result.
Before the young girl's slim figure, two rows of men stood there, unable to move at all.
Both mentally — and physically.
The floor was covered by a solid layer of white frost.
The only place that shared the same season as the outer world was a small circle that spread around where the young girl stood.
The white mist condensed into a tornado.
The frost turned the air bitterly cold.
She raised her right hand.
In this reality, she stood like the Queen of Ice about to render judgement upon the damned.
"You are all very unfortunate."
Her tone was entirely different from usual.
However, these words that were filled with majesty, judgement, and authority were in no way incompatible with her appearance.
"If you had not raised your hand against Onii-sama, I had planned to go easy on you."
The cold air slowly rose.
Gradually, the cold corroded their bodies.
The faces of the men were contorted with sheer terror and utter despair.
"I am not merciful like my Onii-sama."
The white mist rose to throat level.
"Pray. Pray that you will retain your pitiful lives."
The chilling air that utterly covered the men from head to toe abruptly turned the atmosphere solemn.
Wide Area Oscillation Speed Magic "Niflheim".
Silent screams permeated the deepening mist. "

She didn't need to blast them with Niflheim at all, she did it purely because she was "unsatisfied" with simply capturing them after what they did to her brother, which was absolutely nothing, they failed to effect Tatsuya at all, it was merely an attempt.

She told them to pray that they retain their lives, before blasting the mercilessly with A class magic, it was force far beyond what was required for a group of people not even resisting. She did it purely because they "raised their hands" against Tatsuya.

It was even stated in the novel that what her and Tatsuya did was excessive.
"The actions of Tatsuya and co could be construed as excessive self defense at best, or unlicensed use of magic causing injury and attempted murder at worst, but the arm of the law would not extend to them. -- "

"Miyuki's eyes shone with a fully serious light. Seeing that far too deep obsession, it seemed like Lina would laugh it off as deception, but she only let out a chuckle. "

Miyuki is obsessive and can easily resort to extreme violence for something as simply as attempting to act against her brother. There's nothing that mentioned she didn't properly control her Nilfheim.

"As expected, it seemed she repented her use of 'Niflheim' as having been too much.
Fortunately, due to the Blanche members being caught by chance in a cold sleeve (owing to the nature of the magic, the internals of the members had been snap frozen in the blink of an eye, avoiding membrane rupture), it seemed they had not suffered irreplaceable losses to their flesh ."

She felt that it may have been excessive later on, but does attempting to mass murder people simply because they "raised their hands" against her brother make it okay simply because she felt bad after? As seen by her telling them to "Pray for their pitiful lives", at the point in time when she used the magic, she had complete knowledge that she was potentially about to commit mass murder on people that were disarmed and not even attempting to resist.
So you wouldn't feel murderous if someone insulted someone you cared about or if they only tried to kill kill you or someone you cared about? And how the hell is this any different than them being killed by Kirihara? If it was him, he would've killed them without hesitation, but unlike him Miyuki was distraught over what she did.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 07:16   Link #98
Gekari
My Japanese level: slug

Now, about this thread, usually I'm neutral and just observe. There are several points I agree, although I disagree about the story being boring or predictable (it wasn't stated here actually).

Satou-sensei has some patterns, but the most I try to figure out what will happen in the next volumes, more I'm uncertain. (I believe in Shiva theory).

Last edited by LKK; 2015-07-14 at 08:30. Reason: removed off-topic discussion
Gekari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 08:40   Link #99
somerand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
So you wouldn't feel murderous if someone insulted someone you cared about or if they only tried to kill kill you or someone you cared about? And how the hell is this any different than them being killed by Kirihara? If it was him, he would've killed them without hesitation, but unlike him Miyuki was distraught over what she did.
No, I wouldn't be borderline on killing intent simply because someone insulted someone I cared about, that's ridiculous and over the top. Which links into the quote about Miyuki's "Obsession that runs far too deep", her reactions are over the top and in the quotes it clearly states that at best what they did would be classed as excessive self defence.

Secondly, I never said what Miyuki did was better or worse than Kirihara, in fact in my post I didn't compare Miyuki's morale compass to any other character. I was simply making the point that Miyuki's morales are questionable at best. She is obsessive, she resorts to excessive violence in fits of anger over her brother extremely easily, she has been expressly stated to share the Yotsuba point of view when it comes to strength and she has been shown to be manipulative towards Tatsuya. I never compared or said that Miyuki was morally superior or inferior to any other characters in the story, the post merely pointed out Miyuki's far from normal psyche.
somerand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 08:49   Link #100
fujin of shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerand View Post
No, I wouldn't be borderline on killing intent simply because someone insulted someone I cared about, that's ridiculous and over the top. Which links into the quote about Miyuki's "Obsession that runs far too deep", her reactions are over the top and in the quotes it clearly states that at best what they did would be classed as excessive self defence.

Secondly, I never said what Miyuki did was better or worse than Kirihara, in fact in my post I didn't compare Miyuki's morale compass to any other character. I was simply making the point that Miyuki's morales are questionable at best. She is obsessive, she resorts to excessive violence in fits of anger over her brother extremely easily, she has been expressly stated to share the Yotsuba point of view when it comes to strength and she has been shown to be manipulative towards Tatsuya. I never compared or said that Miyuki was morally superior or inferior to any other characters in the story, the post merely pointed out Miyuki's far from normal psyche.
Concerning the Yotsuba clan, having an abnormal psyche and a questionable moral standards is unavoidable.

They are technically a family of assassins.
fujin of shadows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
political intrigue