AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-05-21, 08:18   Link #41
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestuser View Post
wow i just learn the meaning of tatsuya name which fits him perfectly and i always wonder what it mean The name "Tatsuya" means "to achieve/ he who is an achievement" or "dragon". i got this from the wiki
Indeed. ^^ It can also mean"accomplished" but the "dragon" reading is the most appropriate one of all since Tatsuya was directly compared to one. He is the Great Black Dragon of the Mahouka verse, the Yotsuba's demonic guardian and the one who everyone dreads. He shares many traits with the dragons in fantasy which strengthens his Satan parallels, and there's also the fact that "Shiva" or "Siva" is a popular name for dragon characters in various JRPGs.

The character's names in Mahouka sometimes reflect their role in the story. ^^ And both the readings of Tatsuya's name fits him perfectly. As both the "accomplished master" and the "dragon".

Last edited by Lucarion; 2014-05-21 at 08:44.
Lucarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 09:06   Link #42
renuac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucarion View Post
Indeed. ^^ It can also mean"accomplished" but the "dragon" reading is the most appropriate one of all since Tatsuya was directly compared to one. He is the Great Black Dragon of the Mahouka verse, the Yotsuba's demonic guardian and the one who everyone dreads. He shares many traits with the dragons in fantasy which strengthens his Satan parallels, and there's also the fact that "Shiva" or "Siva" is a popular name for dragon characters in various JRPGs.

The character's names in Mahouka sometimes reflect their role in the story. ^^ And both the readings of Tatsuya's name fits him perfectly. As both the "accomplished master" and the "dragon".
The 101 Battalion really took that up to eleven when they came up with Tatsuya's alias. Dragons aside, I love how the characters for Ooguro (大黒) are the same as the first two from Daikokuten (大黒天), aka, Mahākāla
renuac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 09:16   Link #43
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renuac View Post
The 101 Battalion really took that up to eleven when they came up with Tatsuya's alias. Dragons aside, I love how the characters for Ooguro (大黒) are the same as the first two from Daikokuten (大黒天), aka, Mahākāla

OHOH! Now THAT I didn't notice! XD I researched Daikokuten before, so I knew he was the Japanese variation of Shiva, but I didn't notice the characters until you pointed it out. Great job! ^_^

(Makes "雪冰天女" and "雪山神女" more appropriate too.^_^)
Old 2014-05-21, 10:02   Link #44
renuac

Quote:
OHOH! Now THAT I didn't notice! XD I researched Daikokuten before, so I knew he was the Japanese variation of Shiva, but I didn't notice the characters until you pointed it out. Great job! ^_^

(Makes "雪冰天女" and "雪山神女" more appropriate too.^_^)
Heh, anything to bolster the Shiva-theory. Not that it needs bolstering at this point
Old 2014-05-21, 10:22   Link #45
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Heh, anything to bolster the Shiva-theory. Not that it needs bolstering at this point
Yeah. And thanks to what you said, I think I'm going to allow myself to be a little presumptuous and say this is what Mahouka is really all about as a whole--a reimagining of the Shiva legends in a magitek setting with some Romance of the Three Kingdoms-style plotting and scheming in the background.

I mean come on, how much more obvious are the comparisons going to get? Every volume we keep finding more stuff to reinforce the connection. Mahadev, Nataraj, Mahesvara, Daikokuten, and Mahakala--all of them have been incorporated into Tatsuya's character in some way. Then there's the Ushiyama-Nandi parallel, the Tatsurou-Daksha parallel, and then, of course, there's Miyuki's heavy Parvati parallels.

And if we get a Tatsuya vs. Maya showdown at some point in the future that just adds a nice little cherry on top of everything.
Old 2014-05-21, 15:56   Link #46
guestuser

hmmm i wonder who is the one that gonna fight tatsuya on even ground because the enemy is able to damage him more and more as the arc progress so there will be someone that tatsuya will have to put all his might to fight against and if this enemy do appear i sooo bet it is a very powerful person like someone on lina caliber that fuse himself with a parasite because the only thing tatsuya cant decompose is a parasite and his self restoration is very fast but the parasite are even faster and if it have the right host than it could evenly match tatsuya full power or be even more powerful than him
guestuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 17:02   Link #47
renuac

Quote:
Yeah. And thanks to what you said, I think I'm going to allow myself to be a little presumptuous and say this is what Mahouka is really all about as a whole--a reimagining of the Shiva legends in a magitek setting with some Romance of the Three Kingdoms-style plotting and scheming in the background.

I mean come on, how much more obvious are the comparisons going to get? Every volume we keep finding more stuff to reinforce the connection. Mahadev, Nataraj, Mahesvara, Daikokuten, and Mahakala--all of them have been incorporated into Tatsuya's character in some way. Then there's the Ushiyama-Nandi parallel, the Tatsurou-Daksha parallel, and then, of course, there's Miyuki's heavy Parvati parallels.

And if we get a Tatsuya vs. Maya showdown at some point in the future that just adds a nice little cherry on top of everything.
Then I'd like to suggest that the many infiltrations and almost-invasions of Japan reflect the way Hindu gods were apparently almost constantly being attacked and invaded until something happened to rouse Shiva from his indifference and get him to leave whatever mountain retreat he had absconded to at the time

For the Maya shodown, is that a specific reference or just a general wish?
Old 2014-05-21, 18:38   Link #48
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Then I'd like to suggest that the many infiltrations and almost-invasions of Japan reflect the way Hindu gods were apparently almost constantly being attacked and invaded until something happened to rouse Shiva from his indifference and get him to leave whatever mountain retreat he had absconded to at the time

For the Maya shodown, is that a specific reference or just a general wish?
It's because I think Maya has something to do with the concept of "Maya" in Hindu spiritualism. And Shiva is referred to as the "Destroyer of Maya".

And that's another nice catch there.^_^ About the antagonists being the stand-ins for the demons who dare mess with Shiva.

Last edited by Lucarion; 2014-05-21 at 23:47.
Old 2014-05-22, 08:37   Link #49
renuac

Quote:
It's because I think Maya has something to do with the concept of "Maya" in Hindu spiritualism. And Shiva is referred to as the "Destroyer of Maya".
Hmm, I was going to say that you might be reading too much into Maya’s name, but thinking about it, you make a great point . First, there is the obvious connection between māyā, tied to illusions and sleep, and Maya’s Meteor Line that brings the illusion of night falling (and “sleep” to most people unfortunate enough to run into it ). Also, māyā as the illusion that traps the consciousness in the physical and mental reality, preventing enlightenment, does have parallels with Maya as the person who ordered Tatsuya’s wings to be clipped and who prevents him from reaching his true potential, both by having actual limiters placed on him and by refusing to recognise his magic as « real magic ».

I wonder to what extent Tatsuya buys into that belief. On the one hand, he seems to fully accept himself as he is, strange magic and all. On the other, he certainly doesn’t seem to think that his magic is all that great, is wistful over the fact that Mikihiko is able to overcome his mental barrier whereas Tatsuya himself will never be a « true » magician and clearly holds Miyuki up as the pinnacle of magical excellence. (Which makes for a nice balance in the way they view each other, but that’s a different topic of conversation.) I wonder if being the “destroyer of Māyā/Maya” in this case might also be about regaining a sense of pride in his own achievements and innate abilities, of seeing his "true/supreme self".
Old 2014-05-22, 09:17   Link #50
My Zodiac Aries

How about Vishnu Maya ?
My Zodiac Aries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 17:21   Link #51
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Hmm, I was going to say that you might be reading too much into Maya’s name, but thinking about it, you make a great point . First, there is the obvious connection between māyā, tied to illusions and sleep, and Maya’s Meteor Line that brings the illusion of night falling (and “sleep” to most people unfortunate enough to run into it ). Also, māyā as the illusion that traps the consciousness in the physical and mental reality, preventing enlightenment, does have parallels with Maya as the person who ordered Tatsuya’s wings to be clipped and who prevents him from reaching his true potential, both by having actual limiters placed on him and by refusing to recognise his magic as « real magic ».

I wonder to what extent Tatsuya buys into that belief. On the one hand, he seems to fully accept himself as he is, strange magic and all. On the other, he certainly doesn’t seem to think that his magic is all that great, is wistful over the fact that Mikihiko is able to overcome his mental barrier whereas Tatsuya himself will never be a « true » magician and clearly holds Miyuki up as the pinnacle of magical excellence. (Which makes for a nice balance in the way they view each other, but that’s a different topic of conversation.) I wonder if being the “destroyer of Māyā/Maya” in this case might also be about regaining a sense of pride in his own achievements and innate abilities, of seeing his "true/supreme self".

Correct. ^_^ It took me a while to make a sort of connection between the two myself, since "Maya" is a less a figure and more of an abstract concept, but thinking more about it, if she serves as a kind of symbolic representation, then it could work. With Tatsuya(Shiva) dispelling the illusions--the Maya--cast upon the world that prevents people from seeing the truth. (I think Maya might be hiding something and that thing she's always hooked up to might have something to do with it...but for now--I'm not sure^^)When truth is revealed new paths are revealed, and Maya's defeat will mark a new beginning for everyone and bring Tatsuya one step closer to his goals.
Old 2014-05-22, 17:22   Link #52
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Zodiac Aries View Post
How about Vishnu Maya ?
For now? Irrelevant because there are no Vishnu analogues in Mahouka. ^_^
Old 2014-05-22, 18:12   Link #53
millie10468

I was trying to explain how Tatsuya's seemingly OP powers don't make him struggle less to someone and this is what I got so far:

He struggles with the Yotsuba over his duties as a weapon. Technically, Miyuki is the only one allowed to order him around and yet Maya persists in making demands of him. His ongoing struggle to maintain that very clear line between him and the Yotsuba while making sure that he doesn't alienate them far enough that Miyuki suffers is compelling.

He struggles to keep life as smooth as possible for Miyuki because her happiness is the only thing guaranteed to make him happy. You could think of this struggle as one to make himself happy. That's interesting, for me at least.

His struggles to keep out of gaining the attention of the other 10MC is currently becoming fruitless. He's going to have to struggle much harder for that because there are very real and dangerous consequences if he fails.

I won't say anything about any struggling he may or may not have for his lost emotions because he is incapable of caring that much about himself to feel the loss that intensely.

Can anyone see what I've missed or misinterpreted? It never hurts to have these kinds of information in our arsenal of defense.

But it might hit an iceberg...
millie10468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 18:39   Link #54
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie10468 View Post
I was trying to explain how Tatsuya's seemingly OP powers don't make him struggle less to someone and this is what I got so far:

He struggles with the Yotsuba over his duties as a weapon. Technically, Miyuki is the only one allowed to order him around and yet Maya persists in making demands of him. His ongoing struggle to maintain that very clear line between him and the Yotsuba while making sure that he doesn't alienate them far enough that Miyuki suffers is compelling.

He struggles to keep life as smooth as possible for Miyuki because her happiness is the only thing guaranteed to make him happy. You could think of this struggle as one to make himself happy. That's interesting, for me at least.

His struggles to keep out of gaining the attention of the other 10MC is currently becoming fruitless. He's going to have to struggle much harder for that because there are very real and dangerous consequences if he fails.

I won't say anything about any struggling he may or may not have for his lost emotions because he is incapable of caring that much about himself to feel the loss that intensely.

Can anyone see what I've missed or misinterpreted? It never hurts to have these kinds of information in our arsenal of defense.

Nope. You've got everything right. Actually, you might even add to this the fact that a person of supreme power like him is still under the thumb of other people. It says something about the twisted nature of power in general, and his godlike strength just makes his situation look more pathetic.

A lot of our problems come from people looking at this story from the wrong perspective. They view the series as your generic action highschool shounen story and their whole idea of "struggle" is all about whether or not the main character had a tough time with their opponent. (Something I personally dislike if I know the character is more powerful than that and could probably end the fight in no time if he cut back on bullshit. Never make the fight harder or longer than it has to be. Which is why Tatsuya is such a breath of fresh air since he embraces the fact that he's stronger than most people battlewise)
Old 2014-05-22, 21:39   Link #55
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
They view the series as your generic action highschool shounen story and their whole idea of "struggle" is all about whether or not the main character had a tough time with their opponent. (Something I personally dislike if I know the character is more powerful than that and could probably end the fight in no time if he cut back on bullshit. Never make the fight harder or longer than it has to be. Which is why Tatsuya is such a breath of fresh air since he embraces the fact that he's stronger than most people battlewise)
Well, I do hate that kind of "weakness" (if you can actually call that weakness), particularly because incompetent authors can screw up the story by focusing more on an invisible restraint on the character and that character's helplessness to overcome that (and the angst ANGST ANGST that follows), rather than the potential of that person to overcome anything if he actually tried.

And thus we've reached an impasse.

It's too bad that this world is interesting given certain events happen in a different path than what happens in the light novels right now, and the main character actually ends up becoming the wall that hinders my enjoyment of the series. Well, at least it's no Hidan no Aria. Man, that was shit.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 21:58   Link #56
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Well, I do hate that kind of "weakness" (if you can actually call that weakness), particularly because incompetent authors can screw up the story by focusing more on an invisible restraint on the character and that character's helplessness to overcome that (and the angst ANGST ANGST that follows), rather than the potential of that person to overcome anything if he actually tried.

And thus we've reached an impasse.

It's too bad that this world is interesting given certain events happen in a different path than what happens in the light novels right now, and the main character actually ends up becoming the wall that hinders my enjoyment of the series. Well, at least it's no Hidan no Aria. Man, that was shit.
Wait? What exactly are you are trying to say here? Do you like Tatsuya or not?
Old 2014-05-22, 22:17   Link #57
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I don't like Tatsuya and how the story tries to place him in. There's his overpowered skillset, his status as one of the most powerful mages around, and the fact that he is still flawed even at his current state. Not to mention that his fights weren't really risky (his supposed secrets not included) or not totally decisive.

The Shiva connection also feels contrived in a world where magic is handled using the approaches of science.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2014-05-22, 22:33   Link #58
millie10468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I don't like Tatsuya and how the story tries to place him in. There's his overpowered skillset, his status as one of the most powerful mages around, and the fact that he is still flawed even at his current state. Not to mention that his fights weren't really risky (his supposed secrets not included) or not totally decisive.

The Shiva connection also feels contrived in a world where magic is handled using the approaches of science.
There must be something else that's really compelling enough to make you keep reading this then, since the story, after all, is mostly about Tatsuya and his immediate environment.

But it might hit an iceberg...
millie10468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 22:38   Link #59
zerozeronine

Tatsuya is a fresh breath of air compared to ther LN MC's.He is what I thought Akatsuki Kojou was supposed to be in Strike the Blood,the strongest vampire,but from what I seen in the anime and read from spoilers,he's far from it.(He gets saved by Yukina almost every other ep in the anime.
zerozeronine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 22:43   Link #60
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Tatsuya is a fresh breath of air compared to ther LN MC's.He is what I thought Akatsuki Kojou was supposed to be in Strike the Blood,the strongest vampire,but from what I seen in the anime and read from spoilers,he's far from it.(He gets saved by Yukina almost every other ep in the anime.
Akatsuki is a regular human with the power of one of the most powerful vampires shoved into him.
That's the reason why he's much weaker than the other Progenitors.

I also don't understand why people now dislike the typical light novel MC.

Tags
epic awesome badass