AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Old 2021-02-03, 15:13   Link #61
magnuskn

Yeah, if she wins (okay, when she wins, let's be real here), Rayneshia will have to do some hard work to win the hearts and minds of the people. However, it's very likely that, if she doesn't screw up hard in her first time, she'll be staying around a lot of time as the ruler of Akiba.
Old 2021-02-04, 18:00   Link #62
Twi

Let's be real here, I'm honestly questioning her qualifications to rule. It's painted as her doing what she feels will get her what she wants, but ultimately I can't say whether or not she'd be suited for the role because the the hardest she's probably worked has been when she arrived in Akiba about a year ago. Honestly, at least Eins admits he isn't the best candidate as far as being a leader goes but he does have experience.
Old 2021-02-05, 01:57   Link #63
magnuskn

I'd say it's pretty clear that she'll be more of a figurehead, at least at the start. But she has very competent help and it's from people who actually like her and won't work at cross-purposes to her goals, so that will be enough to get her started. As we can see, her mother is a skilled politician with a strong personality, so it's not as if Rayneshia can't grow into that later in her life.
Old 2021-02-05, 02:06   Link #64
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Aye, what Rayneshia has that Ein's doesn't is the charisma to attract competent people. Leaders coasting on their charisma is not a new concept in our world either, and we are privy to Rayneshia internal thoughts so we know she is well intentioned. It will work out.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-05, 02:40   Link #65
magnuskn

Also, Rayneshia's mom is super hot, so dammmn, Krusty. You better get going and come back, man.
Old 2021-02-05, 11:57   Link #66
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Rigging the election by bringing in more voters could prove dangerous down the road if the plan is discovered. It would undermine whatever legitimacy Rayneshia's government might have.

If the split really is 30,000 People of the Land versus 10,000 Adventurers, either Rayneshia proves more popular on election day among her fellows than we've seen so far, or Shiroe would have to recruit some tens of thousands of outsiders that would noticeably inflate the population of Akiba.

Still him standing next to the gate does suggest this is his strategy.

I re-watched season two to get back up to speed and am enjoying this season much more so far. Not surprising for a retired political scientist.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-05, 12:00   Link #67
magnuskn

Eh, I think it would be seen as a power move by the People of the Land and next election, when proper boundaries for Akiba have been established, better rules would be implemented. By that time, however, Rayneshia will have had plenty of opportunity to prove herself (or not).
Old 2021-02-05, 12:09   Link #68
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

That may be more in keeping with the ethos of Log Horizon. We'll see.
Old 2021-02-06, 08:01   Link #69
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I think it depends on whether he brings people that are going to stay or people that are simply showing up to vote and then go their own way.

In the latter case it would be a terrible way to introduce "democratic vote" to the people of the land. He'd just show them right away how it can be abused to do stuff against the will of the majority that is actually affected.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-06, 16:50   Link #70
magnuskn

Not a bad take. The question is, who could he feasibly bring in that would be an asset to Akiba and who would immediately get behind Rayneshia?
Old 2021-02-06, 18:19   Link #71
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Adventurers, I presume.
Old 2021-02-06, 19:19   Link #72
magnuskn

Given the 1:5 disparity between the adventurers to the People of the Land, that would have to be a lot of adventurers. ^^
Old 2021-02-08, 09:48   Link #73
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The disparity is smaller in Akiba. Characters have quoted figures of 40-50,000 for the total population of Akiba, with 10,000 of them Adventurers. So either 1:3 if the total is 40,000, or 1:4 if 50,000. Either way Shiroe would have to recruit a lot of external people to sway the ballot.
Old 2021-02-10, 13:43   Link #74
magnuskn

So, yeah, opening the gate it was and nobody in the citizenry was too fazed about the obvious voter count manipulation. Time now for Rayneshia to prove herself.

Seems we are now going to have the arc with Krusty, though. I'll be interested to see how Kanami really is if you are exposed to her over a longer time.
Old 2021-02-10, 14:27   Link #75
BWTraveller
Born to ship

It wasn't really manipulation since the both of them had specified the rule. And Honesty wanted that rule there too, as people of the land were continuing to come in to visit and try to move in, and they wanted anyone and everyone that they could bring in to take part. Shiroe just did the same thing with the gates, opening up a path for people who harbored an interest in establishing a deep connection and/or residency to enter and participate. And it's clear that the people of the land were also delighted by it, as they were able to see people they'd left behind long ago.

Anyway, I'm more than happy to accept this sort of "manipulation", since it's quite clear that it's more a matter of improving the city and demonstrating a great act intended to help the people, which just happens to bring in more people at the same time.

More to the point, it seems like beyond that influx the people themselves were heavily swayed by the plans put forth for the new Round Table. And frankly, first thing I thought was "this is how campaigning should be". I'd absolutely love to see an election where the people running only presented their goals, how they planned to achieve them, and their own personal qualifications. Every time I see a campaign throwing punches at their opponent, talking about what awful people the opponents are and such, I feel real contempt toward the people who presented said campaign.

Not to mention the mentality presented is so ideal and far from what we've seen in a long time. Win a little, lose a little, don't do too much of either, and aim to progress steadily toward every side attaining happiness and satisfaction. So much better than "I'd rather break the entire system than let the other side have even one win".
BWTraveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-10, 16:02   Link #76
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Of course well done here. Created a situation where honestly they couldn't actually lose . Forget the voter manipulation they manipulated the politics behind Eins extremely well. Created a situation where Eins would have to withdraw. Although it could have gotten messy if they didn't actually win the vote on top of that. Not sure how this would have played out if Rayneshia had been utterly blown out of the water.

Good efforts on either side though when it came to just swaying people. True enough that it was refreshing to see an election that was about presenting ideas and creating hope rather than one that was all about demonizing their opponent. Even if I don't particularly care for Eins all that much, I wouldn't have wanted to see an election that was about convincing people how evil he was.

And I really enjoyed Shiroe's moves. There was a legitimate factor of how the People of the Land responded to big name figures. Bringing out two huge forces that would be supporting Rayneshia's campaign did a lot of work. And now it opens up the door for Rayneshia to continue building her own base and gaining more trust as she goes along.
Old 2021-02-10, 17:24   Link #77
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
More to the point, it seems like beyond that influx the people themselves were heavily swayed by the plans put forth for the new Round Table. And frankly, first thing I thought was "this is how campaigning should be". I'd absolutely love to see an election where the people running only presented their goals, how they planned to achieve them, and their own personal qualifications. Every time I see a campaign throwing punches at their opponent, talking about what awful people the opponents are and such, I feel real contempt toward the people who presented said campaign.
Is that how you saw it? To me it was "Let's not talk about specifics or concrete plans, I'll talk about a few nice sounding ideals. Also, here are the famous people supporting me."

It's better than mudslinging, sure, but it's not ideal. Not that the electorate was ideal either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Good efforts on either side though when it came to just swaying people. True enough that it was refreshing to see an election that was about presenting ideas and creating hope rather than one that was all about demonizing their opponent. Even if I don't particularly care for Eins all that much, I wouldn't have wanted to see an election that was about convincing people how evil he was.
He wasn't evil, but I can't help despising him a bit. He wasn't able to convince others of his views, so he tried to force their hands by using the nobility card. And not just any nobility: a divine right hereditary monarch who never did anything for Akiba, wasn't really in a position to do anything for them in the near future, but still fully intended to pull it into his own conflicts.

I'm not saying Eins deserved the guillotine, but since as an adventurer, it wouldn't have killed him, maybe he could have done with a few rounds...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-10, 18:24   Link #78
Friday
Im shy too...

election over...well rigged by Shiro by getting the gate open and the people from Susukino to vote as well.

Quote:
Sage in a White Robe?
wonder who that is?

next week: "The Krusty & Kanami Show" looking forward to it
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-10, 19:40   Link #79
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Is that how you saw it? To me it was "Let's not talk about specifics or concrete plans, I'll talk about a few nice sounding ideals. Also, here are the famous people supporting me."

It's better than mudslinging, sure, but it's not ideal. Not that the electorate was ideal either.
That's what Eins did, but Shiroe put forward some actual plans, most notably to have Kunie administrate the gate. That alone will change the lives of everyone quite a bit.
Old 2021-02-10, 20:00   Link #80
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Exactly how did he manage to convince Kunie to work for him though?

Anyway was it really necessary for Eins to leave Akiba? What about his duties as a guildmaster? Is someone else taking his place? Is the guild simply going to disband?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote