AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Love Live!

Notices

View Poll Results: Love Live! Sunshine - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 4 26.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 5 33.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 20.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 6.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 13.33%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-07-16, 15:43   Link #21
Seihai
スマイリウム

Good episode. One thing was strange though. The majority of the audience came in just for the last few moments on their concert, but they were cheering them on like hell. I get that it's because they told us everyone there is warmhearted, but it just stood out to me... because if I was told the wrong start time of the event and I would only get to witness the last few moments of it I would be... well, upset. lol

Some things I liked specifically:
Ruby's voice! It's adorable when she switches from lively to shy and vice versa.
Riko trying to evade the dog... how did she even get to be in that situation?
Mari is a fun character and that joke with the Akiba Dome ACTUALLY had me fooled. lol Ah, talk about Mari, I do find it really odd that she is actually the school's director... I mean, I don't mind or anything, it's just odd.
Old 2016-07-16, 17:18   Link #22
Pen3

It looks like Aquors beat Muse because they got a full house, while Muse only got a few people. So Aquors > Muse already at premiere. Even the group name has more meaning and dept than Muse. Aquors is named after the beach where the 3 main girls met, while Muse is just about musical goddess. On the other hand, it is kind of sad that Aquors have no meaning to the other 6 girls because they didn't have the first encounter at that beach. I am not a fan of their first song, but many have said it is better on reddit, so another win for Aquors.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 18:14   Link #23
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seihai View Post
Good episode. One thing was strange though. The majority of the audience came in just for the last few moments on their concert, but they were cheering them on like hell. I get that it's because they told us everyone there is warmhearted, but it just stood out to me... because if I was told the wrong start time of the event and I would only get to witness the last few moments of it I would be... well, upset. lol
I really would have preferred it if the new Aquors trio had started again from the beginning. Not just for in-story reasons (it would have made the audience's reaction much more sensible, as per what you're writing here) but also for the sake of us, the viewers. Honestly, I feel a little cheated in not getting to watch this live performance uninterrupted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
Even the group name has more meaning and dept than Muse. Aquors is named after the beach where the 3 main girls met, while Muse is just about musical goddess.
I totally disagree. The group name μ's has plenty of meaning, and is wonderfully woven into the story of the original Love Live. μ's beautifully ties together all nine girls of the original season, particularly given Nozomi's handling of things.

Quote:
On the other hand, it is kind of sad that Aquors have no meaning to the other 6 girls because they didn't have the first encounter at that beach.
Honestly, I think you're overthinking this. μ's is a nice clever name with plenty of meaning given how the plot plays out in LL Season 1. Aquors' name being rooted in the specific place where all these girls meet (maybe not the exact beach, but the community around that beach) is also fine.

Quote:
I am not a fan of their first song, but many have said it is better on reddit, so another win for Aquors.
So Reddit is the only thing that counts now?

Also, not everything needs to be a competition, Pen3.
Old 2016-07-16, 18:34   Link #24
Pen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I totally disagree. The group name μ's has plenty of meaning, and is wonderfully woven into the story of the original Love Live. μ's beautifully ties together all nine girls of the original season, particularly given Nozomi's handling of things.
But we are only on episode 3. At that point, it didn't have much meaning to the trio, just Nozomi. The three didn't even know what the symbol means. On the other side, I still find it hard for them to find a connection for the other girls to "Aquors" meaning. It is already said that the meaning is their encounter at that beach drawing scene.

Quote:

Also, not everything needs to be a competition, Pen3.
Sorry, but life in itself is a competition, i can't even think of a single thing i don't compete in.

Last edited by Pen3; 2016-07-16 at 18:44.
Old 2016-07-16, 18:44   Link #25
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
But we are only on episode 3. At that point, it didn't have much meaning to the trio, just Nozomi. The three didn't even know what the symbol means.
Who cares? It ended up having plenty of meaning. That's what matters most. And even in the beginning, the name had some quirky charm to it because of the soap joke.

As for Aquors, maybe their first performance as a full group of 9 will be on that beach...

Quote:
Sorry, but life in itself is a competition, can't even think of a single thing i don't compete in.
What about just enjoying some free time with family and friends? Is that a competition to you? Maybe you play some games with each other, but for many people, this sort of thing is just about having good times, not keeping score.

Life can be competitive at times, but it doesn't always have to be.
Old 2016-07-16, 18:58   Link #26
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
It looks like Aquors beat Muse because they got a full house, while Muse only got a few people. So Aquors > Muse already at premiere. Even the group name has more meaning and dept than Muse. Aquors is named after the beach where the 3 main girls met, while Muse is just about musical goddess. On the other hand, it is kind of sad that Aquors have no meaning to the other 6 girls because they didn't have the first encounter at that beach. I am not a fan of their first song, but many have said it is better on reddit, so another win for Aquors.
you are a mad man lol.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 18:59   Link #27
Nork22

Quote:
I really would have preferred it if the new Aquors trio had started again from the beginning. Not just for in-story reasons (it would have made the audience's reaction much more sensible, as per what you're writing here) but also for the sake of us, the viewers. Honestly, I feel a little cheated in not getting to watch this live performance uninterrupted.
Well it's only the start. Their concert was supposed to be 30 minutes long, so let's assume some in world logic that they probably got a couple of performances after their original song. I know Chika had Start Dash and Yume no Tobira lined up.

Quote:
Aquors' name being rooted in the specific place where all these girls meet (maybe not the exact beach, but the community around that beach) is also fine.
Speaking of which, it's spelt Aqours

Quote:
So Reddit is the only thing that counts now?
I don't even get why it's a thing thinking that reddit is the be all, end all of which is better. You have to remember that the reddit users stuck to Aqours a lot longer than most posters here on Animesuki. Heck, most of them even listen to all of the audio dramas, read every short pieces in Dengeki's magazine, and watch all the nico live streams already that they have a certain fondness of the members quirks long before the anime made it apparent. I admit I'm also part of the people who jump on the Aqours bandwagon before learning about muse's end, however I don't post on reddit and there are times where I don't fully agree with the opinions on there.

One thing though that the reddit users did point out though with that concert, is the scene where Dia confronts Aqours where their success came from the other school idols before them and the good will of the people. It's rather meta if you consider that Dia is a hardcore muse fan (and not a Love Live fan) and she blasted Aqours's reason for existence is because of muse. Chika fully admitting that it's true but still wants to prove to us that they are going to be special in their own way certainly made me appreciate what this episode was doing. Thrown in the 3 birds flying in the sky before the ED credits also proves how meta this episode got.
Old 2016-07-16, 19:04   Link #28
Pen3

The only thing bad about reddit is that all opinions that are neutral, not even negative are downvoted and hidden. Apparently BiBi can't even touch Guilty Kiss now, just blown away and buried. Honestly though, the only thing i read on reddit is throwaways' Primer reviews. Everything else is just bandwagon comments.

And Tripple_R, were't you the one that told me i should start supporting Sunshine as a LL fan?

Link to the primers, if interested https://www.reddit.com/r/LoveLive/co...ete_ai_no_uta/

Last edited by Pen3; 2016-07-16 at 19:20.
Old 2016-07-16, 19:11   Link #29
Nork22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
I don't know what that midnight cats mean but I enjoyed the episode.

This is Midnight Cats.
Left is from Sunshine, right was from the original. And have they grown up nicely.
Potential rivals then?
Old 2016-07-16, 19:48   Link #30
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:

And Tripple_R, were't you the one that told me i should start supporting Sunshine as a LL fan?
Sure. But it's not necessary to tear down the original Love Live in order to support Sunshine.

As a big Star Trek fan, I really like the original series, TNG, and DS9. I may make some comparisons between the three, and I may have some preferences between them, but I like and support all 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nork22 View Post

This is Midnight Cats.
Left is from Sunshine, right was from the original. And have they grown up nicely.
Potential rivals then?
I like this call-back. One of the nice things about Sunshine is that it's helping to further flesh out Love Live-verse.
Old 2016-07-16, 20:06   Link #31
Pen3

Quote:
As a big Star Trek fan, I really like the original series, TNG, and DS9. I may make some comparisons between the three, and I may have some preferences between them, but I like and support all 3.
I love Star Trek too, i own two Bluray box sets of TNG and one set of DS9. Between the three, I like TNG the most. I think i have seen every episode of TNG at least 3 times if not more. Voyager on the other hand was a major failure for me, i don't think i even watched every episode, it was that bad.

I just wish we get more movies centered around Patrick Stewart or just the TNG timeline. A movie centered around DS9 wouldn't be bad either.

PS: Star Wars is crap.
Old 2016-07-16, 20:06   Link #32
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nork22 View Post
Potential rivals then?
Hopefully the time skip is only a few years long, if there is any.

I have this feeling that Aqours will compete in the LL contest representing their city, making it all the way to the final but losing to a group from Tokyo, preferably Muse or a similar group as Muse in case the real one is no longer around at the time.

I could see Midnight Cats as a potential rival, but I believe Aqours will be able to best them in the semifinal or even the preliminary rounds.

I'm still hoping for an Aqours-Muse meeting.

Sorry, no idea how the LL contest works, too lazy to Google too.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 20:13   Link #33
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
I love Star Trek too, i own two Bluray box sets of TNG and one set of DS9. Between the three, I like TNG the most. I think i have seen every episode of TNG at least 3 times. Voyager on the other hand was a major failure for me, i don't think i even watched every episode, it was that bad.

I just wish we get more movies centered around Patrick Stewart or just the TNG timeline. A movie centered around DS9 wouldn't be bad either.
I agree with about 90 to 95% of this. Excellent to meet another Star Trek fan.

Like yourself, I'm also more of a Star Trek fan than a Star Wars fan.

Similarly, instead of arguing over which Love Live is better, we should all come together in preferring Love Live in general over iM@Sverse!

Speaking of which, I certainly prefer Sunshine to Cinderella Girls. Love Live is probably managing its spinoff sequel better than iM@S did.
Old 2016-07-16, 20:18   Link #34
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:

Similarly, instead of arguing over which Love Live is better, we should all come together in preferring Love Live in general over iM@Sverse!

Speaking of which, I certainly prefer Sunshine to Cinderella Girls. Love Live is probably managing its spinoff sequel better than iM@S did.

My body seized Ruby style.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 20:46   Link #35
Triple_R
*Author

^ If you're a big iM@S or Cinderella Girls fan, please don't take that too hard. I was mostly being tongue-in-cheek there.

For what it's worth...

Spoiler for Cinderella Girls comment, major spoilers:
Old 2016-07-16, 21:22   Link #36
Pen3

Fans are still waiting for a Chihaya and Umi duet.
Old 2016-07-16, 22:02   Link #37
Nork22

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Sorry, no idea how the LL contest works, too lazy to Google too.
The contest basically felt made up by the screenwriter in both seasons so don't think too hard about it. But if you want to take it to in world logic, I imagine the Summer version is based on popularity ranking death matches, while the Winter version is based on regional knock-out death matches, culminating in a battle to the death via top 8 or something.

Quote:
Fans are still waiting for a Chihaya and Umi duet.
You sorta get it in Prism Nana.
Old 2016-07-16, 22:52   Link #38
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
It looks like Aquors beat Muse because they got a full house, while Muse only got a few people.
They might have attracted a local crowd, but they're still unknown to the rest of Japan yet.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 23:04   Link #39
Requiem-x
The slacking one

That ended up much better than expected I was quite scared when the live arrived, but it turned out to be a very different experience from what the original trio had to go through, and that final intervention from Dia and Chika's reply really sealed the deal: If it felt undeserved that the girls got full house first try, is because it kinda was, but it shows there's a lot of love behind Chika and co., and after seeing that, how can she not keep going? Definetly a much more believable motivation than "gotta save the school", and it's nice to see Chika's family playing a role in the story. Also, that's a pretty nice song, not quite as catchy as the best bits of Start: Dash, but I definetly want to hear it whole.

I won't lie, it is kinda weird to see so many paralells this episode, but the first live was, to me, one of the strongest moments from the original, so awkardness was inevitable. Hopefully everything is smooth sailing from here. Besides, it seems the third years could be bringing a different flavor of dynamic, so there's that to look forward to.

On more cheerful news, this episode probably had the best beginning ever. To anyone who's seeing her for the first time, say hello to the queen of Crazy, Mari Ohara! That sound you're hearing is common sense dying quickly but painfully Really, that opening was amazing; the moment the helicopter started getting closer I was going "yes, do it, Mari! Do it!" That said, I am kinda dissapointed she turned out to be the Nozomi of the group, and clearly so. It just doesn't feel like it fits with the insanity very well, but maybe I just need to see her showing a softer side. I still remember smiling like an idiot when Nozomi got embarassed when the others came over to visit.

Next week, its time for Chika to live up to her promise from episode one, and recruit Ruby and Maru!

Oh, and You is awesome. About time she showed what that energy of hers can do. And Chika sure knows how to put the moves on the ladies. Looking forward to doujins, worksafe or otherwise.

Quote:

Oh, no doubt. The second half of Cinderella Girls is such a chore to go through. And to this day I wonder why couldn't they use Mayu for the main group.

Last edited by Requiem-x; 2016-07-16 at 23:15.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 23:14   Link #40
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
Definetly a much more believable motivation than "gotta save the school",
I strongly and passionately disagree with this. What's not believable about someone feeling strong attachment to her or his school, and wanting to save it? Especially when that school holds a strong and meaningful family connection to the person trying to save it?

I live in a rural area myself, and I've personally seen people fight to maintain their local schools and libraries and emergency care facilities and other important buildings/institutions. Heck, as a teenager, I personally took part in efforts like this myself. And I also had a family connection here - my father taught for 30 years at the same school that I attended.

Some of this is for sentimental reasons, and there's nothing wrong with that. And some of this is for very practical reasons. But in any event, it is very believable. And it's definitely a big part of why I love the original Love Live. I greatly admire μ's and their successful heroic efforts to save their school.