AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-04-27, 21:33   Link #61
deadite

Remember Kano's dad brought her to see Mahiru's mural as a child? I think he's in the OP. The only male character in the OP
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-28, 10:10   Link #62
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
My point was neither about voice acting or graphics. What I said is that:
I mean... you made a point specifically praising seiyuu and singing voice being the same person which IMO isn't working so great in GBC. I don't know what exactly "realistic" means if not graphics but if you prefer 3DCG for music (idol) shows I guess that's your prerogative. The hair still really bothers me in GBC though.
Quote:
a) GBC has less generic songs (once again, you may not like this kind of J-rock or prefer J-Pop, but the songs in Jellyfish are pretty generic, Ya boy Konming had a more memorable ones despite using the similar genre).
How memorable they are is subjective but I'll give you that Togenashi Togeari music is a lot more complex, though it mostly just sounds overproduced to me. JELEE music might come off a bit amateurish but that's pretty clearly by design. Again though, Girls Band Cry is part of a broader rock idol project so I don't think comparing both series is really that useful; I wouldn't consider Jellyfish an idol show at all. The JELEE girls aren't really trying to make club bangers either, so I don't entirely get the Kongming comparison -- its not really the same genre at all. Maybe they're kind of comparable story wise though... we'll see I suppose.
Old 2024-04-28, 12:56   Link #63
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

The fact that I prised Jellyfish for not hiring separate person for Kanos singing voice was not related to the comparison with GBC any way. It was a separate point.

Also, yes, tastes differ but considering how much effort the staff is putting in the show they could have hired someone better to compose the songs. It is one of the central parts here after all but they sound like yet anouther songs from run of the mill idol show for me.

Maybe I just don't get J-Pop fans tastes but I can recognize the song for being catchy or mermorable no matter the genre and both JELEE songs shown so far are nothing but. And most of my friends though the same (though, they did not like GBC songs either).

Last edited by Nachtwandler; 2024-04-28 at 18:39.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-28, 16:10   Link #64
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
The fact that I prised Jellyfish for not hiring separaste person for Kanos singing voice was not related to the comparison with GBC any way. It was a separate point.
Okay, but that doesn't change the fact that the Girls Band Cry seiyuu are kinda bad. In fairness though I think the main girl is only 16. If it gets you better performances all around I don't have an issue with separating the role into two parts; I can't say that I agree with your preference.
Quote:
Also, yes, tastes differ but considering how much effort the staff is putting in the show they could have hired someone better to compose the songs. It is one of the central parts here after all but they sound like yet anouther songs from run of the mill idol show for me.
I dunno, I mean they seem to be going for simple and catchy with videos that look like they could have been made by teenage girls with limited resources. I kinda like that over the overproduced stuff in GBC. To each their own I suppose. As far as my own personal taste I don't really like J-rock or J-pop per se but EDM is my thing so Kongming really spoke to me. I tend to dislike idol music in general.
Old 2024-04-28, 18:45   Link #65
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I can't say that I agree with your preference.I dunno, I mean they seem to be going for simple and catchy with videos that look like they could have been made by teenage girls with limited resources. I kinda like that over the overproduced stuff in GBC. To each their own I suppose. As far as my own personal taste I don't really like J-rock or J-pop per se but EDM is my thing so Kongming really spoke to me. I tend to dislike idol music in general.
The problem is, their songs should look like something that a lot of people would like, not just a creation of a bunch of 17 y.o. girls (it is the point of the story that they will beat Sunflower Dolls despite being indy). I am glad at least the first MV did not get million likes overnight in-universe, but unless scriptwriters surprise me, the story will be that their stuff will become more and more popular.

As for GBC seiyuus, for me only drummer girl sounds a bit odd. They are fine othervise (of cause they are way worse than Jellyfish cast because all of the girls here can be already considerred veteran VAs). And the thing is, most of decernt female seiyuu can sing (vocal lessons are in their curriculum and a lot of them have singing carrear as a side job), so I never understood the reason to hire a separate person to do the vocals in the anime. Most of the time you do not need some godlike vocals for the plot.
Old 2024-04-29, 06:52   Link #66
Xeiros

Kano’s current inability to move on from the fallout of the punch she threw 2 years X months ago as the Sun Dolls continue to live rent free in her head is her current hangup. It’s not JELEE’s as a whole nor is it any of the other three leads.

Mei’s only connection to them was following Kano during the brief period as leader prior to the scandal. Yoru and Kiui, outside of their new friendship with Kano have no personal stake in the Sun Dolls.

Now obviously for the sake of drama Kano isn’t going to up to them about exactly what went down back then until after some sort of direct run in/confrontation with the Sun Dolls takes place. She’s current trapped in a petty, selfish spiral, unable to move on as she takes advantage of the kindness of the others to fuel her personal satisfaction.

JELEE is capable of so much more than what Kano is using them for. The argument this episode highlighted, without the need for name calling or raised voices, was how in the wrong she was. She’s lucky to have found people who are willing to be vulnerable in front of her in an effort to encourage her to do the same even though she’s not quite ready to do so yet.

I just can’t see the Sun Dolls/Kano’s Mom as antagonistic, nor do I believe I’m meant to. I’d at least need more than brief glimpses at who they all are off the clock. Either way I don’t see them sticking around long term given, again, how little they factor into the majority of the main cast’s personal character arcs.

For anyone who might be interested here's a playlist of the full versions of all the songs featured in the series so far, updated as it progresses.

Last edited by Xeiros; 2024-04-29 at 07:14.
Xeiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-29, 12:42   Link #67
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I mean they seem to be going for simple and catchy with videos that look like they could have been made by teenage girls with limited resources.
This show's music doesn't sound catchy at all to me though. I get the feeling those MV's highlight is supposed to be the graphics because the music is awfully plain, imo. Not amateurish, not catchy either; just plain.
Old 2024-04-29, 16:00   Link #68
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
This show's music doesn't sound catchy at all to me though. I get the feeling those MV's highlight is supposed to be the graphics because the music is awfully plain, imo. Not amateurish, not catchy either; just plain.
That's what I was talking about but seems like people like it.
Old 2024-04-29, 17:10   Link #69
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
And the thing is, most of decernt female seiyuu can sing (vocal lessons are in their curriculum and a lot of them have singing carrear as a side job), so I never understood the reason to hire a separate person to do the vocals in the anime. Most of the time you do not need some godlike vocals for the plot.
It depends on the series, but I mean... most seiyuu aren't Maaya Sakamoto or something, their range is fairly limited. Then again most idols aren't much better.
Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "plain" here but I thought Saikyo Girl was pretty catchy. The JELEE music seems to be done by a vocaloid producer named 40mP.
Old 2024-05-03, 05:01   Link #70
EroKing

Images
Megami
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2024-05-03, 10:53   Link #71
HandofFate

I think the movie and stuff isn't very memorable or good at all, I'm just interested in the collab. aspect.
Old 2024-05-03, 12:08   Link #72
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "plain" here but I thought Saikyo Girl was pretty catchy.
I mean bland. The kind of crap you forget 5 minutes after you heard it. Like the total opposite of catchy.
Old 2024-05-04, 12:16   Link #73
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Did we just go full yuri? Hmm...

I wonder if we'll meet the rival artist in time.
Quote:
I mean bland. The kind of crap you forget 5 minutes after you heard it. Like the total opposite of catchy.
I mean I forget like 95% of the anime and idol music I hear after 5 minutes, and I don't really know what you actually enjoy. I still think Saikyo Girl was pretty catchy. To each their own I guess.
Old 2024-05-04, 15:43   Link #74
KitsuKyouno

The kiss in the check was a surprise and more important was the reaction of both girls because the blondie could easily act like it was nothing big but she choice run away.
But we will only know it was relevant if next episode or just some bonding moment
Old 2024-05-04, 17:47   Link #75
grecefar

props to yoru for not giving up and worked hard to improve her art at the end. I can understand how comments can affect you, even more when is a fact that there is someone better than you and if they draw for jelly they would get way better numbers.

and it's not like just because your friends tells you not worry and they like your art it will be ok, they are your friends and it's a given, they aren't going to shit on your art no matter what and you can tell clearly they liked the other art better.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-05-04, 18:04   Link #76
Dark Wing

Wasn't expecting Yuri but it's not an unwelcome surprise. The question is are they baiting? Only time will tell.

I feel for Mahiro. Finally getting back into art only to be talked down to by online randos.
Old 2024-05-04, 18:13   Link #77
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

As someone who was 100% convinced it would never move past yuribait like most anime original anime, I was really surprised by the end of the episode. This doesn't confirm Kano and Mahiru will become a couple, but Kano at the very least is definitely gay. I wonder if this will actually be relevant to her fallout with her teammates and her mother. Would be really interesting.

As for the rest of the episode, Mahiru's struggles were realistic, it's hard for just about anyone to see something they worked hard on get criticized or hated on, and that goes double for teenagers. I like that Kano gave her a push but she still had to work on herself. Her writing her pseudonym on the mural was an important moment.

This is probably the best show this season for me.
Old 2024-05-05, 01:24   Link #78
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
props to yoru for not giving up and worked hard to improve her art at the end. I can understand how comments can affect you, even more when is a fact that there is someone better than you and if they draw for jelly they would get way better numbers.

and it's not like just because your friends tells you not worry and they like your art it will be ok, they are your friends and it's a given, they aren't going to shit on your art no matter what and you can tell clearly they liked the other art better.
Every creative person has to deal with imposter syndrome, and every one has something about themselves they're convinced will always hold them back from being "good enough." In my case, it's the slow pace at which I write and my inability to juggle multiple projects at once. But those of us who are stubborn enough will keep at it anyway, just like Yoru.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-05-05, 09:00   Link #79
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I actually liked the new MV a bit more. And GL at the end was unexpected. Let's see if the staff has the guts to do anything with it or if it will end like always.
Old 2024-05-05, 12:06   Link #80
Xeiros

Unexpected? The romantic tension between the two had building the whole time. Kano has spent more one on one time with Yoru than any other character. Most prominently any time Yoru is the focus character of a given episode.

What’s particularly important is framing. Between her responsibilities as JELEE’s leader/lyricist/vocalist, Live streaming, working her part-time job, and most recently helping Yoru with her impostor syndrome/inferiority complex she’s not had time to properly notice her growing feelings let alone have a nice long think about exactly what kind of relationship she wants with Yoru in the future.

The feelings were always there waiting just beneath the surface for when her emotions become too much. She’s not just emotionally attracted to Yoru, but physically as well. These shots are from her perspective. What might have been going through her head during them I wonder?

As much as I’d love to pick up right where 05 left off, we do have two other main characters that need focus as well. So I expect it to take b-plot type of backseat over the next couple episodes at best. The relationship/romance angle between the girls is at the end of the day not the main narrative focus.

Last edited by Xeiros; 2024-05-06 at 04:06.
Xeiros is offline   Reply With Quote