Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-04-14, 18:24   Link #41
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep2:
You didn't miss anything, it happened off-screen. It's not a bad decision, not much point spending time on them looking for a part time job.
Old 2024-04-14, 18:35   Link #42
scififan

I am still not sure if the story is about the girls make music as hobby or making living with music. In real life, the music groups formed and broke up. Maybe the story is about building bond and checking out if they can work as a team, through playing music.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-14, 20:14   Link #43
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
While the fangirl is a bit extreme, she certainly fits into the group. Has her own troubles from the past and Kano really did save her emotionally through their short chat. A somewhat amusing thing that Kano and her both changed their looks and hair colours. Would have been even more entertaining if Kano had gone orange instead of blonde, but I suppose that would be too much .

Almost have the full group hanging out together. But regardless we do have them all introduced at this point.

Curious where things will end up going for this group. They should be able to put together a song and release it. Presumably we'll delve a bit more into Kano's past and exactly what went down. Though this episode at least had her openly admit she was feuding with that one girl. But I'm sure something insane happened to lead to her punching her.
Old 2024-04-20, 01:16   Link #44
Xeiros

Something bothers me about Kiwi. Her pink hair, her experience with computer technology, the fact she’s a Vtuber, all of those thing fit together no problem. But then Yoru praises her for being the Student Council President. ... Huh?

That doesn’t align one bit. Even in fictional Japanese anime schools they still have a strict dress code. This is highlighted in episode 2 when Mei is reprimanded simply for wearing Kano’s jacket over her uniform. There is no fucking shot the girl that dyed her hair pink was approved for the position.

Right now we have no actual proof that she is. Just her word to her childhood friend Yoru who trusts her based on all their years together. Thus far the only time we've seen her outside her room was in a several year old photograph back when she had black hair.

With the exception of Yoru, there’s the common pattern of characters changing their hair color after some sort of key event in their lives. My guess is that Kiwi channeled/expressed what would eventually become her Nox persona (before it existed in Vtuber form), though in this case it’s her genuine self, in front of her classmates and was ridiculed for it.

We’ve seen Yoru at school on a few occasions. Same with Kim. We’re outright told Kano doesn’t attend. Kiwi? If she attended Yoru’s school you’d think we’d have seen them hanging out between classes. It would be nearly impossible to maintain the lie of her being SCP if that were the case.

So it would stand to reason she goes to a different school. That combined with the years of trust built between childhood friends would make any lie involving her school life or lack thereof a breeze to maintain. Either way she's almost certainly lying to Yoru. A current day scene of her at least attending school would go a long way to assuage my suspicions.

That and for her to fit into this group of people struggling with their self expression, their identity in terms of who they are vs what society expects of them, she can’t possibly be the Student Council President. Happy, well adjusted, self actualized people that don't hate themselves or regret something about their pasts do not belong in JELLE. So she'll fit right in.

Last edited by Xeiros; 2024-04-20 at 11:05.
Xeiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-20, 06:26   Link #45
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Honestly, I thought it was obvious Kiwi is a hikkikomori. She's definitely no student council president at the very least.
Old 2024-04-20, 11:28   Link #46
Xeiros

Well we already know she's not an outright shut-in. You have the Promotion Videos to thank/blame for that. They feature current day pink haired Kiwi out shopping wearing a green jacket and mask.

I didn’t even bother to mention that to explain all the nerd shit in her room, she’d either have to successful enough as Nox to be making a respectable living or her parents are paying be it in part or in whole.

Where the hell are they? Do they care she dyed her hair pink? Do they know she’s a Vtuber? Do they even exist? Normally they wouldn’t just sit by and allow their daughter to ignore the outside world to the extent she appears to have.

The moment a non-faceless parental figure of any of the four leads appears outside of a several year old flashback we’ll know things are becoming serious. I’m sure Kano’s must be thrilled about her violent outburst, hair bleaching, and frequent truancy.

I find it amusing that Mei’s exist less as people in any capacity and more to explain where she gets her money from as she doesn’t appear to be employed, self or otherwise. All of their situations are much easier to justify/explain if they don’t exist. Not as if the narrative has time for them as actual, fleshed out characters anyway.

Last edited by Xeiros; 2024-04-20 at 12:04.
Xeiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-20, 14:10   Link #47
KitsuKyouno

A real vtuber character with the real issue of one, like spend money of her chat in her gacha
but also that those avatar bring the girls who can´t fix in the dull japanese society
And she was was friend of the mc so her salvation was there since early.
They even make one of this typical anime songs that jumps on ads frequently
Old 2024-04-20, 17:27   Link #48
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeiros View Post
Well we already know she's not an outright shut-in. You have the Promotion Videos to thank/blame for that. They feature current day pink haired Kiwi out shopping wearing a green jacket and mask.

I didn’t even bother to mention that to explain all the nerd shit in her room, she’d either have to successful enough as Nox to be making a respectable living or her parents are paying be it in part or in whole.

Where the hell are they? Do they care she dyed her hair pink? Do they know she’s a Vtuber? Do they even exist? Normally they wouldn’t just sit by and allow their daughter to ignore the outside world to the extent she appears to have.

The moment a non-faceless parental figure of any of the four leads appears outside of a several year old flashback we’ll know things are becoming serious. I’m sure Kano’s must be thrilled about her violent outburst, hair bleaching, and frequent truancy.

I find it amusing that Mei’s exist less as people in any capacity and more to explain where she gets her money from as she doesn’t appear to be employed, self or otherwise. All of their situations are much easier to justify/explain if they don’t exist. Not as if the narrative has time for them as actual, fleshed out characters anyway.
Like episode 3 explained enough about Kiwi. While she is not a total shut in, she is not going to school because it is a typical school for honor stuidents where noone is ompressed with her chuunibyo persona. And she only dyed her hair after dropping. Apparently, she makes enough from V-tubing, though, she spends a lot on games too. Also, seems like her parents are to busy with work and just don't care.
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-20, 18:13   Link #49
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I love the positive vibes from this show. The girls all lift each other up and have a very healthy relationship. Looking forward to Kiwi meeting the other two.

Mahiru is the only one who hasn't dyed her hair. I have to say she was portrayed as pretty dumb in this episode. No matter how busy Kiwi claimed to be, there's no way she wouldn't be able to find at least one afternoon in two whole years to hang out with her. Not to mention Mahiru always video called her and she never showed her face, yet she never found it suspicious.
Old 2024-04-21, 12:00   Link #50
grecefar

it did suck about kiwi and that she couldn't find friends with her personality and tastes but she does have the best friend in the world and other two that will like her too.

I'm really liking this, I'll have kiwi as my avatar.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-21, 12:07   Link #51
HandofFate

A bit heavy episode today. Went damn @ when she was freaking out at night and went psycho on the gacha and spent all that money up to the buying limit on the gacha.

I cracked up at the bad and awkward dancing of Mahiru on the stage play.
Old 2024-04-21, 12:53   Link #52
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Is her name really Kiwi? HiDive is spelling in "Kiui."

And if it's Kiwi, is that the bird or the fruit? Or maybe her parents really like New Zealand, and that's where they are instead of caring for her the way parents are supposed to do.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-21, 18:11   Link #53
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Is her name really Kiwi? HiDive is spelling in "Kiui."

And if it's Kiwi, is that the bird or the fruit? Or maybe her parents really like New Zealand, and that's where they are instead of caring for her the way parents are supposed to do.
Her name is written in katakana so it's Kiwi. Same spelling as Kiwi from Gushing over Magical Girls.
Old 2024-04-22, 21:05   Link #54
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Good episode. I like Kiwi. She's got some nice energy and her situation was one I could feel for.

At least the truth came out and Yoru managed to get Kiwi to meet with her. I'm glad for the two of them. That friendship was obviously a huge thing for the both of them over the years. Both dealing with their own issues during that time and had a safe space with each other.

The kind of thing that's easy to support. Props to Yoru's dancing efforts. It wasn't too pretty, but the message came through .
Old 2024-04-27, 16:42   Link #55
grecefar

piece by piece the story is coming together about what happened with kano, while now most of it's now revealed with her mother being the producer, what is left is the reason why she punched that girl mero. By the little we saw of her in this chapter I can theorize but I'll wait for the answer, maybe next chapter.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-27, 16:56   Link #56
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

The pieces are definitely falling into place. A pretty huge one just with the reveal that Kano's mom is the producer for that group. Toss in that Mero girl being hugely obsessed with their Producer and there's plenty to speculate.

Certainly unfair to judge someone that hasn't really been able to tell their side...but Kano's mom just looks like a jerk. That her daughters are living in a rundown apartment by themselves speaks volumes of where that familial relationship is. Of course it's a shame the father clearly hasn't kept in touch since the divorce.

I'm enjoying seeing this group come together. The situation with Kiwi played out as smoothly as possible which I'm all for .
Old 2024-04-27, 18:15   Link #57
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Mero has a really punchable face, I can't blame Kano for being unable to resist. She has "cunt" written all over her face, I'm going to assume the incident was entirely her fault.

Are there never any customers at Kano and Mahiru's part time job? They're always just chatting or cleaning...

Kiwi got to meet the rest of the gang, and butted heads with Kano pretty fast. Even if Kano had her reasons, she was indeed asking too much of them, their lives don't revolve entirely around JELEE. In the end, they compromised and pulled an all nighter instead of working on the song every single day.

Kano is supposed to be the leader, but Mahiru is by far the most level headed character in the show.
Old 2024-04-27, 18:30   Link #58
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

The show lost some of its charm after episode one but the latest episode regained some of it. I like how the show handles drama so far and yep, Mahiru is indeed the most level-headed of the bunch&

My only complaint is songs. It is great that they let Riyori sing herself instead of hiring some pro-singer for Kanos singing voice (like they did with Papiri Koumei) but damn, the songs are way more generic (MVs are cute, though).

And it has to compete with Girls Band Cry that has much better songs INHO (and the characters there look more realistic).
Old 2024-04-27, 19:50   Link #59
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
And it has to compete with Girls Band Cry that has much better songs INHO (and the characters there look more realistic).
If you like CG I guess... its all good until the hair looks like literal poo. I dunno how comparable the series really are but for better or worse you can tell the seiyuu in Girls Band Cry are all rookies and/or idols.

Anyway speaking of idols I wonder how much presence the rivals are going to have going forward... considering how fast they went viral I guess it could go either way.
Old 2024-04-27, 20:03   Link #60
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Yes, the VAs there are rookies (producers probably went with the same formula as Bang Dream and hired ones who can play instruments), but for me only drummer girl sounds a bit odd, other ones are doing a decent job. I don't want to argue about CGI here also, tastes differ.

My point was neither about voice acting or graphics. What I said is that:

a) GBC has less generic songs (once again, you may not like this kind of J-rock or prefer J-Pop, but the songs in Jellyfish are pretty generic, Ya boy Konming had a more memorable ones despite using the similar genre).

b) The characters there look a bit more realistic in terms of... hm... character.