Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-12, 22:47   Link #1
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
Romance/Drama/Slice of Life

I'm currently looking for a romance/drama/slice of life series to watch in between the days that Clannadand True Tears aren't on. I really feel like I've seen all the best shows that the genre has to offer, since I've done a lot of research by looking up the shows I've seen on the threads, and many of them seem to be mediocre at best. I don't mind shows with a little bit other genres mixed in (ex. Sola had a fair bit of fantasy and action, but was mainly a romance, IMO), but I would prefer a show with less emphasis on comedy/over the top antics (ex. School Rumble). It may be tough to ask for, but I'm looking for something that stikes a good balance between lighthearted mood and serious drama (ex. Clannad). A big plus for me would be a high school setting, and a big, big minus is corny, contrived, or predictable dialogue and story development. I know this is a lot to ask for, but any input you may have is helpful to me, so thanks in advance!!!
Below is a list of shows that I've seen that may somehow fit my description in one way or another:

Finished:
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
Koi Kaze
Love Hina (and OVAs)
Ai Yori Aoshi
ef A Tale of Memories
Sola
Myself; Yourself
Canvas 2
Da Capo 1
5 Centimeters per Second
Full Metal Panic (all seasons)
Suzumiya Haruhi
Welcome to the NHK
REC
His and Her Circumstances

Currently Watching:
True Tears
Clannad

Finished or Dropped (didn't like them):
Shuffle
Lamune
School Days

Haven't seen yet, would like more input on it:
Nodame Cantabile
Minami-ke
Ouran Host Club
Old 2008-03-12, 23:01   Link #2
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Wow, you've watched KgNE, 5 cm, ef, Canvas 2, and REC. That's most of the romance series I consider good, but anyways:

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora: Great romance/drama that is probably more realistic than a lot of the shows out there. There's actually a reason for these two people to meet and be together for a lot of the series.

SaiKano: Well this isn't slice of life, but it's one of the best romance/drama I have ever watched, ever ever. It's not really light-hearted, so er, don't watch it with sad anime. I remember stopping myself after 4 episodes and not touch it again for days. It has unpredictable development though, which is what you are looking for.

For a good mix of action/romance/comedy I'll recommend Chrno Crusade.

EDIT:

I forgot to comment on Nodame Cantabile. It's more comedy than romance, but it's very unlike School Rumble in some ways. I loved it, and I'm a romance guy, so you might too.
Old 2008-03-12, 23:02   Link #3
james0246

Kamichu! - sweet light-hearted romantic slice of life about a girl who falls in love with a boy in her class and struggles with different ways to express her love. Oh, and she is a God, almost forgot about that. Great little series.

second Nodame Cantabile - very nice odd couple romance, about two musicians that both lack soemthing that would make their music great, but in discovering each other, it is possible that they can re-invent themselves. Highly reccomend (especially the manga).

Ouran Host Club - okay and a little cute. Not really romance or slice-of-life, but rather a somewhat romantic reverse harem shoujo story. The best part of the series, besides some very nice animation, is the Japanese voice track. Sadly, I do not recommend since the series is just kind of...average, cute, but average.
Old 2008-03-12, 23:17   Link #4
nckl

I think the perfect show for you is Honey & Clover. It has all the drama, funny stuff, and slice or life stuff that you're looking for. It has great music and character development too!
Old 2008-03-12, 23:22   Link #5
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Wow, you've watched KgNE, 5 cm, ef, Canvas 2, and REC. That's most of the romance series I consider good, but anyways:

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora: Great romance/drama that is probably more realistic than a lot of the shows out there. There's actually a reason for these two people to meet and be together for a lot of the series.

SaiKano: Well this isn't slice of life, but it's one of the best romance/drama I have ever watched, ever ever. It's not really light-hearted, so er, don't watch it with sad anime. I remember stopping myself after 4 episodes and not touch it again for days. It has unpredictable development though, which is what you are looking for.

For a good mix of action/romance/comedy I'll recommend Chrno Crusade.

EDIT:

I forgot to comment on Nodame Cantabile. It's more comedy than romance, but it's very unlike School Rumble in some ways. I loved it, and I'm a romance guy, so you might too.
These ones.

Air: Kyoto's first Key adaptation; it's a drama with an implied romance about a traveller and a sickly girl he meets in a coastal town and how their lives are affected by their meeting and whatnot. It's similar to Clannad in that there are two side characters who have their respective arcs, though the focus is on mainly one character. It has better animation that Clannad, a great OST, drama, and the occasional bit of humour, but it suffers from pacing problems and will be difficult to follow if you didn't really understand the story beforehand (I recommend Wikipedia, but beware of spoilers).

Kanon 2006: The second of Kyoto's Key adaptations, it's more similar to Clannad than Air, though it's a sadder in general: setting, characters, situations, etc. Like Clannad, there are five main girls who interact with our witty protagonist, and each character has their own arc in which their stories are revealed and such, much like Clannad's characters so far (where was the bloody Kyou arc?)
Old 2008-03-12, 23:52   Link #6
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post

I can't believe I forgot to mention Hantsuki in my list. I've seen it before, and loved it.
Regarding SaiKano, I actually watched the first episode a few months back and liked it, but never got around to watching the rest of the series. It's definitely one that I plan on going back to, probably sooner than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
These ones.

Air: Kyoto's first Key adaptation; it's a drama with an implied romance about a traveller and a sickly girl he meets in a coastal town and how their lives are affected by their meeting and whatnot. It's similar to Clannad in that there are two side characters who have their respective arcs, though the focus is on mainly one character. It has better animation that Clannad, a great OST, drama, and the occasional bit of humour, but it suffers from pacing problems and will be difficult to follow if you didn't really understand the story beforehand (I recommend Wikipedia, but beware of spoilers).

Kanon 2006: The second of Kyoto's Key adaptations, it's more similar to Clannad than Air, though it's a sadder in general: setting, characters, situations, etc. Like Clannad, there are five main girls who interact with our witty protagonist, and each character has their own arc in which their stories are revealed and such, much like Clannad's characters so far (where was the bloody Kyou arc?)
I always put off watching these two because I could never get past the animation style. But now that I've seen (and loved) Clannad, I suppose that I should be able to enjoy these two shows for what they are with no problem. (I also have to agree with you on the issue of the Kyou arc. She's one of my favorite characters, and would make for a better arc storyline than the less than entertaining Fuuko arc)

About Nodame Cantabile and Honey and Clover... These two stories look very interesting, so I'll definitely check out the Nodame anime, however I can't stand H&C's animation style, so I'll probably just end up watching the live action drama.

Thanks to everyone who's posted so far, and please keep the advice coming!
Old 2008-03-13, 01:50   Link #7
blewin

Genshiken is slice of life, the comedy elements come from otaku interacting with non-otaku. It's pretty fun yet realistic.
Old 2012-01-13, 07:25   Link #8
NeoChan
Banned

Reviving an old thread I would just add

ROMANCE DRAMA SLICE OF LIFE with A GOOD ENDING

Please note, no one should die especially among the leads. Best example like CLANNAD and TRUE TEARS as well as MYSELF YOURSELF
Old 2012-01-13, 07:47   Link #9
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoChan View Post

Please note, no one should die especially among the leads. Best example like CLANNAD and TRUE TEARS as well as MYSELF YOURSELF
Uh... people died in Clannad, and that goes for both seasons.
Old 2012-01-13, 08:12   Link #10
NeoChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Uh... people died in Clannad, and that goes for both seasons.
I thought I point it for the leads not to die and by the way , I believe she Lives after...
Old 2012-01-13, 08:17   Link #11
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well... ok you have a point, though other people would debate the ending.

Anyway if you can take 50 episodes, Cross Game.
Old 2012-01-13, 08:46   Link #12
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:

Quote:
I thought I point it for the leads not to die and by the way , I believe she Lives after...
Nagisa was the main heroine, so in a way she is a lead. Eventhough she lived at the end, that was not the point of the story.

Also i wouldn't exactly call myself yourself having a very good ending though. Shuusuke (who was one of the main protagonist in the ps2 game) had a lousy ending in the anime >_>
Old 2012-01-13, 22:44   Link #13
Elegance

Amagami SS
Suzuka
Toradora
Old 2012-01-14, 09:19   Link #14
kitten320

Haven't watched so much romance but here are some shows I know. I also will include some action series:
Well I'll second Air and Kanon 2006. Air really got me towards the end and Kanon is quiet similar to Clannad season one by how main hero has a small arc with each heroine.

AnoHana is compared to Clannad a lot too. It kind of has several pairings.

Busou Renkin is an action but it has quiet strong romance towards the end.

Elfen Lied... though it is very bloody and if you hate gore then miss it.

Ga-Rei Zero are also action series but the main romance played a huge part in a whole conflict. Also a bit bloody.

Mai HiME has several pairings and drama kicks in later half, though series are more action than romance.

Romeo x Juliet, I think title says it all.

Spice and Wolf were not bad series

Suzuka involves love triangle

Vampire Knight were not bad series with some action.
Old 2012-01-22, 06:55   Link #15
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Yosuga no Sora, but beware of incest and high-level ecchiness
Angel Beats! (ok but it contains lot of action scenes, but I don't know if you watch it)
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Closed Thread