AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2023-06-17, 18:28   Link #21
grecefar

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

trailer is out.

like I said the cast fit and I like that it seems there is a important connection between luffy and merry. It would be more fitting if it was ussop but let's see.

I really going to give it an honest chance.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-17, 18:28   Link #22
Hoodspirit

Trailer was good enough for me.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-17, 18:54   Link #23
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It doesn't look quite as awful as I thought it'd be, but there's just so much wrong here. Like Nami's wig. Or Luffy quipping like a MCU protagonist. "I sense some tension in the crew" when Nami and Zoro are bickering is something Luffy would never say, he's more likely to laugh and say they get along great. And the line about calling out attacks... ugh.
Old 2023-06-18, 05:58   Link #24
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

I really hope this doesn't flop as bad as cowboy bebop, some things looked ok, but still don't have high hopes for it
Old 2023-06-18, 11:37   Link #25
Hoodspirit

If you are a none-English viewer, check the teaser for your location. Seems like some countries get the voices of the anime-cast. Might add something to your feelings if you grew up with those.
Old 2023-06-18, 18:16   Link #26
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
If you are a none-English viewer, check the teaser for your location. Seems like some countries get the voices of the anime-cast. Might add something to your feelings if you grew up with those.
What about Japan? Will they get the anime cast? I really don't see why not, but who knows? That would improve the experience for a lot of people, I think.
Old 2023-07-22, 00:05   Link #27
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

The full trailer for the Netflix live-action series has dropped.

YouTube

EDIT: Just making a passing observation. The reception towards the teaser trailer was mixed but leaning towards positive with a 2:1 like to dislike ratio (66% likes); although that trended downwards as more time passed (55-60%).
The full trailer is having a more overwhelmingly positive reception and currently has 94% likes.

As for my own thoughts: I'm always thinking of the worst case scenario and getting pleasantly surprised that it doesn't look like an immediate skip.

Last edited by OH&S; 2023-07-22 at 01:18. Reason: comments
OH&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-22, 07:26   Link #28
grecefar

it will never going to be a great adaptation, a good live action anime are extremely rare like the kenshin ones.

this one, could be "good" but that's it. To be honest I did like the trailer and I may have fun with this.
Old 2023-07-22, 07:44   Link #29
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I have to admit this new trailer looks surprisingly good. It may actually end up being decent.

And to answer my own question: yes, the anime voice cast will reprise their roles in the live action.
Old 2023-08-22, 08:42   Link #30
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Behind the scenes trailer.
YouTube

Its looking pretty good now. Less than 10 days left.
Old 2023-08-25, 10:53   Link #31
grecefar

YouTube

all original cast for the mugiwaras. Zoro, sanji and usopp suits but I don't know about luffy and nami. Buggy was perfect.

but I'm happy all are there, they are really giving it all for this.
Old 2023-08-31, 05:44   Link #32
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
So, after the first episode... I'm certainly no OP aficionado, but have watched most of pre-time skip OP. And while the first little scene with Alvida was... well, not that good action-wise, the rest of the episode was pretty good, all things considered. Real impressed with the quality of the action. Both Nami and Zoro played their parts well, but its Luffy that really brings it all together. As already seen in the trailers, behind-the-scenes stuffs, etc., he brings juuuuust the right amount of charm and optimism to make a character like Luffy work in live-action. I don't care if he's cheesy asf; its fun and I love it, haha! I don't have confidence it'll keep up this level of enjoyment, but I do hope it can.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-31, 17:13   Link #33
cyberdemon

Didn’t expect baroque works to come into play so early. My guess is that arc is the main goal of this series.

So nudity is on the table. Maybe we’ll be blessed with the happiness punch lol

Last edited by cyberdemon; 2023-08-31 at 18:03.
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-31, 18:54   Link #34
Hoodspirit

I would have no qualms to recommend it to people who don't know One Piece.
Those kind of people could rate it at like 7-8/10 if it hits their interest, Regular One Piece Fans I assume would rate it a bit higher 8-9/10, Fans who know every detail would probably rate it more like 6-7/10.

The base is strong and enjoyable. My local dub was quite amazing, but without the original audio though I cannot really judge the acting. If I have the time I'll rewatch it with the original voices and the JP dub too.
I feel the general tone is a bit too realistic though. Due to this some emotional peaks didn't match the narrative peaks. Some crying scenes could be a bit more over the top, some fighting scenes could be more fluent and have a better climax.

Fans who know the story inside-out will question quite a few things though.
At least I felt bothered at time.
Spoiler for few examples:
Old 2023-09-01, 09:28   Link #35
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Because I have so little faith in LA adaptations these days, I've simply watched the trailer and MIGHT give the series itself a chance, if it turns out to be decent.

And watching the trailer, it feels like they missed an important part of One Piece: for all that Luffy can be (and usually is) goofy, when He Gets Serious, It's Business Time... and the contrast between those moments is a major factor. It sounds like it may have been a Swing and a Miss on this part.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-09-03, 21:20   Link #36
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

I haven't read OP in like 10 years but this was a nice throwback even with the changes. Most of the cast was solid overall but Godoy is a treasure as Luffy and Buggy's actor killed it. I liked Arlong quite a bit as well.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-09-03, 21:48   Link #37
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Well, color me surprised it turned out to be a nicely done adaptation.

Some things changed (easiest example, Zoro use only two swords against Mihawk, Sanji not present during Zoro vs. Mihawk) but yeah, this is live action so some changes are inevitable. My favorite change is LA Mihawk have good reason to be present on Baratie rather than looks like coming out of nowhere.

Inaki Godoy convey Luffy pretty well, so do Mackenyu as Zoro ... still, LA Mihawk and LA Buggy set the bar so high I worried if they continue until Crocodile. LOL.

Old 2023-09-11, 07:46   Link #38
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Had fun with it. While it's similar to the original series, it really felt like they want to be taken more seriously regardless of outfits. Some characters barely made jokes which made episode 7 (which was kinda boring for politics commentary) be Sanji's spotlight for trying to charm Nami's sister despite having a shotgun. The fights were quite good but I think Zoro's and Sanji's were more entertaining than Luffy's due to the difference in effects used. Also, I don't remember Zoro killing so quickly. Even in the first opening "We Are" they made sure not to use a bit of blood when fighting.

Koby felt a bit weird when talking. Almost he was a mix between Harry Potter and Maguire's Spiderman due to how nervous he was. I can't remember if they added more dialogues but I was surprised by how many times Luffy talked about the importance of friendship like a Sora or Yugi Moto.
Old 2023-09-12, 11:52   Link #39
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Man, it's too bad they didn't have Zoro vs Sanji stuff.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-09-15, 11:39   Link #40
cyberdemon

Season 2 is confirmed