AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2023-10-31, 13:50   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1097 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Welcome, folks! It's that time again! Credit for the initial info goes to..... well, not Redon this time, but some of the other regular providers:

-Chapter title is "Ginny". Splash features Kuma and Ginny together, appropriately enough.

-Continuing the flashback, eight years have passed since the God Valley incident. A teenage Kuma is now a pastor at the church, and uses his DF ability to heal the elderly. However, Ginny (now a young adult) chides him for being too nice. We also learn that the new king of Sorbet, Becori, is a greedy tyrant who bleeds the citizens dry of their money in order to pay tribute to the Celestial Dragons! Later, after his day's work is done, Kuma takes all the pain he removed from others unto himself.... because if he doesn't, it would eventually fester and return to their original owners. Obviously, this upsets Ginny....

-A few years later, Ginny suggests she and Kuma get married, but the young priest refuses because he doesn't want her to suffer from mere association to his lineage.... as his own family did. Meanwhile, he reads news about Dragon in the papers, whom he looks up to. A few more years later, Sorbet's crisis worsens, as the king has split the nation in half! The northern part is for those with wealth, while the poor are left to fend for themselves in the lawless southern half! And unfortunately, southerners such as Kuma and co. find themselves thrown in the slammer for standing up to this great injustice....

-.... That is, until the wicked king is suddenly overthrown! And the people responsible for liberating Sorbet? Why, none other than Dragon and Ivankov! They proceed to bust Kuma's gang our of prison, who all decide straight away to join Dragon's cause! From that moment on, the Freedom Army is rebranded the Revolutionary Army, and both Kuma and Ginny become two of its commanders! However, the army still lacks funding and weapons. We also learn that Dragon was a former marine, but quit the force due to discovering there was no justice there. Now, he's determined to grow the RA and free the oppressed from the WG's tyranny!

-We skip forward to 14 years in the past. Ginny is excited to meet up with Kuma, but unfortunately, she ends up getting captured in a surprise attack....!!!!

Last edited by marvelB; 2023-11-03 at 19:16.
Old 2023-10-31, 14:46   Link #2
Gerard07

Having seen the spoilers, it seems that some people were right in saying that Dragon was a former marine, although Kuma is not supposed to have been a founding member of the revolutionary army 22 years ago (Vegapunk mentioned it) or am I misunderstanding something?, well let's hope more spoilers.
Old 2023-10-31, 17:52   Link #3
grecefar

ehh not that surprising that dragon was a marine, pretty normal story about it and started a revolution after seeing corruption and all that.
Old 2023-10-31, 18:06   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I guess this confirms Bonney really is a little girl, since I very much doubt Kuma and Ginny had a kid when they were in the revolutionary army. I guess this kidnapping incident is what will get them to settle down.
Old 2023-11-01, 06:15   Link #5
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I guess this confirms Bonney really is a little girl, since I very much doubt Kuma and Ginny had a kid when they were in the revolutionary army. I guess this kidnapping incident is what will get them to settle down.
I agree that she must be a Kid. Time window is closing though. 13 years at Maximum (~1 year pregnancy) and her portrayed mental age. She was consistently more mature than Tama who was 8.

That is assuming she is a normal child. A Clone with or without age manipulation ist also possible.
A quarter Buccaneer might be different, but she hast none of Kuma's features that I noticed.
Looks and personality scream Ginney.

Last edited by Hoodspirit; 2023-11-01 at 11:18.
Old 2023-11-01, 13:37   Link #6
mario_zxa

Vegapunk should know about the lineage factor, right. I wonder if Kuma asked Vegapunk to use it to remove Bonneys Buccaneer blood?
Old 2023-11-01, 13:47   Link #7
Gerard07

Hmm, but in the One Piece wiki it says that Bonney's age is 24 years (and at the same time it says that this information was given by Oda in SNS 68 of the manga).
Old 2023-11-01, 18:57   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard07 View Post
Hmm, but in the One Piece wiki it says that Bonney's age is 24 years (and at the same time it says that this information was given by Oda in SNS 68 of the manga).
Oda said it was an estimation based on the "form" she uses the most. She's definitely younger, an event as important as Bonney's birth would have been shown.

Clone of Ginny sounds more and more likely, especially given how much Vegapunk cares about Bonney. Would also explain why he didn't want her to look into Kuma's memories.
Old 2023-11-01, 20:24   Link #9
Gerard07

Having seen the chapter, it was good to see Kuma "being human" and his good actions, but he refused to marry Ginny for fear that his family would be persecuted for his Buccaneer blood, then he joined the Revolutionary Army where he apparently played a important role, and at the end of the chapter we see that Ginny was kidnapped, what will happen to her?, let's wait for the next chapter!.
Old 2023-11-01, 20:41   Link #10
grecefar

it's not going to end pretty for kuma in the next chapter for sure.
Old 2023-11-02, 00:03   Link #11
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Having Kuma have to suffer like that reminds me of when Zoro is doing it for Luffy at Thriller Bark. Back in Thriller Bark, Zoro chose to take Luffy's entire damage he sustained during his duel against Moria.
Old 2023-11-03, 16:52   Link #12
Rainbowman

The fact that Dragon was a former marine makes me think he would have had a cool color animal name that translates to something like Azure Dragon. Not sure what Azure is but I bet it’s a light blue color like cyan.
Old 2023-11-03, 17:08   Link #13
cyberdemon

I’m not the least bit surprised about this revelation about Dragon. At this point I’m more waiting for it to reveal Garp secretly backs the Revolutionaries. He clearly holds no love for the CDs. I think he’s just more interested in what comes after the revolution. This is why he’s training Coby to become a true Marine instead of the cesspit that they currently are. He does have the D initial after all.
Old 2023-11-03, 19:25   Link #14
marvelB

Was a little busier than usual this week, so I didn't catch the chapter straight away. Anyways, yeah, it's dead clear now that Ginny is Bonney's mother. I dunno about her being a clone, but I do agree it's curious that Vegapunk seems so close to her. Plus, the fact that he keeps referring to her as a "child" definitely hints he knows how old she truly is....

And yeah, it's no big surprise that Dragon was a former marine, but I do find it interesting that it doesn't seem to be common knowledge in the force. I guess that's yet another example of some inconvenient history that the WG erased, like God Valley....?
Old 2023-11-06, 06:33   Link #15
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

now we understand why Ivankov could not believe that Kuma can act like that after being turned into Shichibukai. Kuma was so kind indeed
Closed Thread