5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 8.33%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.78%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 2.78%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-03-26, 20:51   Link #101
Rias

Diomedea really should've avoided pumping out 4 shows in one season. I didn't watch the other two, but World Break also suffered from animation quality for multiple episodes. (Well it's no Ore-Twin Tail, but still) I can't remember the last time any studio was taking the helm at so many shows at once.
Old 2015-03-26, 21:07   Link #102
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Understatement of the season right here.
I'll admit I understated the QUALITY issues.

It helped that I lowered my expectations just before I watched the episode. I thought back to how the finales of some of my favorite 2014 anime shows were underwhelming and played it very safe. So I mentally prepared for the same with Kancolle's finale, and sure enough, that's what happened.

I can only bring myself to care so much about animation quality in a finale that's so clearly playing it safe, and going for maximum "feel good" and "Rule of Cool". Not to mention the Abyssals jobbing harder than Mick Foley in a Hell in the Cell match.

So I just tried to enjoy the finale for what it was - A simple treat for fans of the major characters and most of the cast.
Old 2015-03-26, 21:41   Link #103
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
Diomedea really should've avoided pumping out 4 shows in one season. I didn't watch the other two, but World Break also suffered from animation quality for multiple episodes. (Well it's no Ore-Twin Tail, but still) I can't remember the last time any studio was taking the helm at so many shows at once.

So basically KyoAni eight or so years ago. One show a season, but make it THE show of the season.
Old 2015-03-26, 21:46   Link #104
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Diomedea (previous Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu's Studio Barcelona) handled anime projects at roughly the same pace. 2013 was the last time they bulked up with Mondaiji, Noucome and Gingitsune while Akuma no Riddle was the studio's only project last year.

One interesting piece of trivia is that they do one project every even year.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 01:05   Link #105
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Not to mention the Abyssals jobbing harder than Mick Foley in a Hell in the Cell match.
A little bit worse than that -- the Abyssals seem to stop doing anything (attacking, etc) the moment some of the girls need to talk. It's especially egregious during the Daily Lesbian (Ooi, ahaha) segment, where the DDs just happen to encircle, then do nothing while Ooi does her usual thing.
Old 2015-03-27, 01:23   Link #106
DerGilga
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
When 2D and 3D are mixed, it is because the scene is too heavy for the animators and they need the 3D team to alleviate the workload.
That's why 3D sequences are only present for sequences when you see several kanmusu + their gear and the planes.
If it were a heavy animated scene I won't complain, but even in past episodes the use of 3D seemed kind of arbitrary. If you look at this scene like the group shot after the battle they mixed 3D and 2D with almost no animation at all. I don't think Fubuki turning her head counts as animation heavy.
DerGilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 01:44   Link #107
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I lowered my expectations the instant the director was announced. It did go up a bit during the first half, then episode 9 happened.

I have conflicted feelings about this final episode. Nagato and Mutsu got pieces of the action, Taihou got more than just a voiceless cardboard cameo and Midway Hime went down like a Fist of the North Star villain.

But the quality isses, the pacing, the needless insertion of game lines, the way the Admiral have been handled....
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 01:47   Link #108
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerGilga View Post
If it were a heavy animated scene I won't complain, but even in past episodes the use of 3D seemed kind of arbitrary. If you look at this scene like the group shot after the battle they mixed 3D and 2D with almost no animation at all. I don't think Fubuki turning her head counts as animation heavy.
That's the very reason why it was constantly mentioned the studio had huge trouble to handle the show, namely because the budget looks quite subpar and that they are also producing 3 other shows at the very same time this season.

And actually, if you check every multiple kanmusu scene, it isn't even arbitrary: they always put the girl on the foreground in 2D and the rest in 3D. They really cut the workload on the animators quite early on.
Old 2015-03-27, 03:35   Link #109
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Yeah, look at this series in hindsight, it was better than expected, but really did a poor job of sticking the landing.
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 04:09   Link #110
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
A little bit worse than that -- the Abyssals seem to stop doing anything (attacking, etc) the moment some of the girls need to talk. It's especially egregious during the Daily Lesbian (Ooi, ahaha) segment, where the DDs just happen to encircle, then do nothing while Ooi does her usual thing.
Isn't that an old D&D style trope? Talking is a free action.
Old 2015-03-27, 05:12   Link #111
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Isn't that an old D&D style trope? Talking is a free action.
It's one of the oldest trope in entertainment. (Except in opera since they don't talk, they SING~)
Old 2015-03-27, 07:48   Link #112
Gravitas Free Zone

It's essential in some media, like comic books, but it can really kill the pacing of anything that moves. Like this.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 09:02   Link #113
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

So where the the Admiral go? Did he go get some doritos and mountain dew???
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 09:38   Link #114
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

He had to make an arduous expedition himself to one of the most difficult zones his career: Outside.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 09:46   Link #115
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 12 today.

Continous fighting from start of the episode almost up to the end... wow...
The action is of course good. And I like the interactions between the characters.

Only disappointment is... The identities of the enemies, where they came from, and why they hate humans ---------- are not revelead yet. Have to wait for season 2??? >__<

My friend likes to cosplay as Yamato and Kongou nee san. Sadly, our wallets did not agree. The props at their backs would cost too much. So it would probably be just the clothes and head accessories, if ever my friend's cosplay plans push through.

Voted 8/10 as ranking for the episode.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2015-03-27 at 10:02.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 12:17   Link #116
Nvis
Where are the good animes

I hope Midway Hime comes back if there's a sequel.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 12:21   Link #117
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Dude, she exploded like a Fist of the North Star villain. Not a chance.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 12:41   Link #118
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Seaport Hime and Hoppo would be likely. Maybe Isolated Hime. Assuming they don't go for the Oni and non-installation Himes.
Old 2015-03-27, 12:57   Link #119
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Seaport Hime and Hoppo would be likely. Maybe Isolated Hime. Assuming they don't go for the Oni and non-installation Himes.
Earlier in the season I thought it would be cute if Hoppo showed up. Seeing how the Abyssals received barely any characterization at all, only being monsters of the week at best, I'd rather not see her now if it just means that all that'll happen is she gets spammed with bombs while flailing around a bit.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-27, 13:44   Link #120
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
Earlier in the season I thought it would be cute if Hoppo showed up. Seeing how the Abyssals received barely any characterization at all, only being monsters of the week at best, I'd rather not see her now if it just means that all that'll happen is she gets spammed with bombs while flailing around a bit.
A lot of hoppo and other Abyssal cuteness is just things fans made, but it's a complete opposite to what they're shown in the game. I would want the anime to give us more info about them, their origins, what is their motivation / reason they have that much hate, if ships-girls can really become Abyssal, how does it work, etc.

I don't expect them to show abyssal as cute nor having them acting mostly like humans as it's seen in many doujins or fan works. Maybe in a parody.