AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-04-13, 19:38   Link #1
ion

120fps RAWs?

Whats up with the 120fps raws? Are they what it sounf like, 120 frames per second? or am I missing something. What tv format broadcasts at 120fps?

thx

hehe oh ya and sorry for posting this in the wrong section. I'm retarded

Last edited by ion; 2004-04-13 at 19:50.
ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 19:56   Link #2
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion
Whats up with the 120fps raws? Are they what it sounf like, 120 frames per second? or am I missing something. What tv format broadcasts at 120fps?
120 is the least common multiple of 48f(ields)ps and 60f(ields)ps. Many cappers probably use 120fps to make mixed source footage look better. Usually a lot of the frames are duplicates though.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 19:58   Link #3
Technovia_EX
o[-_-]o

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it frames per second? And would it make it any better? NTSC movies uses ~24 FPS, and no one has a problem with that.

Edit: Hmm, nevermind, I found out that ~60 fields is about 2 frames... So it's 60 frames per second = 120 fields.... I don't see the point though...
Technovia_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 20:33   Link #4
JediNight
キズランダム

Some animes like Gundam Seed had both 24fps and 30fps footage in the same episode ... which means sections are choppy then. If you make the raw 120fps then both are smooth.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 20:41   Link #5
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight
Some animes like Gundam Seed had both 24fps and 30fps footage in the same episode ... which means sections are choppy then. If you make the raw 120fps then both are smooth.
Message me, Jedi, we need to discuss Otakon

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 20:48   Link #6
MasafumiGotoh

ugh Wats with all the obscene content. The Sigs the Avatars. What has this world become!(well scratch the last sentence) Dude my mom will get crazy if she sees that(literally) and she think I am a sick freak. [sarcasm] I dont recall the forums becoming into Hsuki.com[sarcasm]

Now it doesnt mean that I dont like it but keep the H to yourself!

Isnt there some forum rule in here that prohibits H? especially when we are at a age when censors have the power?
MasafumiGotoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 20:59   Link #7
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

Speaking of 120fps, Naruto episode 78 is 120fps. The OP and ED of Naruto is 30fps while the episode is 24fps. As long as the OP and or ED is 30fps, the episodes will continue to be 120fps to be able to view it smoothly. (But most of the Naruto fansubbers just encode it at 30fps)
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 21:05   Link #8
ion

XxNarutoFanxX If you are commenting on my avatar :fingers: hehe j/k there is no nudity in mine so if your mom freaks you can give me her # and we'll sort it out. I'm sure your older than 6 and I allow my 6yr old daughter to watch Chrno Crusade (my avatar).
ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 21:29   Link #9
outlaw55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion
XxNarutoFanxX If you are commenting on my avatar :fingers: hehe j/k there is no nudity in mine so if your mom freaks you can give me her # and we'll sort it out. I'm sure your older than 6 and I allow my 6yr old daughter to watch Chrno Crusade (my avatar).
.....no he was talking about Technovia_EX signature....
outlaw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 23:58   Link #10
Cruzz
Europeon

I just wish that more fansubbers would start using matroska, gotta love variable framerate.
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 02:56   Link #11
SCR512
Ayu/Eclipse Semi-Slave

Send a message via AIM to SCR512
MKV is cool, but it confuses non-l33t l33chers and when the start to cry, all hell breaks loose. 120fps is a fact of life for some series that have hybrid frame rates... its a pain in the ass to deal with when actually encoding. Anyway, if you have problems with 120fps probably the best way you can get around that is with good ole AVISynth... all the magic you need is:

LoadPlugin("E:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\decomb510.dll")
# SOURCE
AVIsource("C:\Path\to\raw.avi")
#
#AVI 120 BS
Decimate(2).Decimate(2).Decimate(5)

something to that effect, to get to a normal 23.976 FPS and just reencoding from there though it might be fast enough for actual viewing, if your system is powerful enough. 120FPS is a dirty trick the Japanese raw encoders have been embrasing for awhile and until they actually get smart and start finding better alternatives (MKV or actually taking the time to decimate) 120FPS is here to stay =_=
SCR512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 09:38   Link #12
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCR512
MKV is cool, but it confuses non-l33t l33chers and when the start to cry, all hell breaks loose. 120fps is a fact of life for some series that have hybrid frame rates... its a pain in the ass to deal with when actually encoding. Anyway, if you have problems with 120fps probably the best way you can get around that is with good ole AVISynth... all the magic you need is:

LoadPlugin("E:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\decomb510.dll")
# SOURCE
AVIsource("C:\Path\to\raw.avi")
#
#AVI 120 BS
Decimate(2).Decimate(2).Decimate(5)

something to that effect, to get to a normal 23.976 FPS and just reencoding from there though it might be fast enough for actual viewing, if your system is powerful enough. 120FPS is a dirty trick the Japanese raw encoders have been embrasing for awhile and until they actually get smart and start finding better alternatives (MKV or actually taking the time to decimate) 120FPS is here to stay =_=
Too bad decimation is not exactly a perfect solution to the problem. The japanese raw encoders are using 120fps because they do not want to make the file jerky by decimating it (but are too lazy to make a vfr mkv file).

Last edited by Cruzz; 2004-04-14 at 10:02.
Old 2004-04-14, 11:59   Link #13
SCR512
Ayu/Eclipse Semi-Slave

from what i've ween from my own raws, the decimate code works pretty well, as was said with that 120fps they are using tons of frames are being repeated. This might not apply to all raws mind you, but given what i've seen its not very noticable to the person downloading the episode =p But, ya I would have to agree having a format that allowed for hybrid FPS would be the best solution. Too bad the AVI container wont be updated =(
Old 2004-04-14, 13:04   Link #14
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCR512
from what i've ween from my own raws, the decimate code works pretty well, as was said with that 120fps they are using tons of frames are being repeated. This might not apply to all raws mind you, but given what i've seen its not very noticable to the person downloading the episode =p But, ya I would have to agree having a format that allowed for hybrid FPS would be the best solution. Too bad the AVI container wont be updated =(
Technically you don't have any additional repeated frames in a 120fps file, as all the extra frames used to boost the file to 120fps are "dropped" frames which are pretty much avi frame headers and nothing more.

Also, I'm glad that the AVI container isn't being updated anymore. The whole thing is just a big mess of hacks, workarounds and all sorts of other nasty things. The sooner people stop using it the better.

Oh and I can definitely notice bad decimation (in some cases it might just be badly done CGs for the show in general) and I doubt I am the only one :P
Old 2004-04-14, 13:31   Link #15
SCR512
Ayu/Eclipse Semi-Slave

shhhh dont let the rest of the downloaders know ^___^
Old 2004-04-14, 18:18   Link #16
^danshi^
running bear

The MKV container may be able to handle them, but how can you generate video streams with variable frame rate from these raws (or from TV source on the raw provider's side)?
^danshi^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 18:30   Link #17
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzz
Too bad decimation is not exactly a perfect solution to the problem. The japanese raw encoders are using 120fps because they do not want to make the file jerky by decimating it (but are too lazy to make a vfr mkv file).
I don't know about too jerky, I think its more that they don't want to use an obscure buggy video container thats still in alpha or beta stages. Plus as was stated here too, its more work to make a vfr file as well I believe.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 20:00   Link #18
dbzgundam
A-Blitz Founder/Encoder

AFAIK, it's not hard to make a VFR, but just incredibly tedious..... Which really turns me (and most others) off from even bothering with it.

I don't like 120fps though do to it's file size.... Also, some computers can only handle 24/30fps releases.... I don't think they'll be able to do anything 120fps.

That's 4 times as much data being sent than a 30fps stream, and 5 times as much than a 24fps stream.

I miss the days when very few CG elements were incorporated and the whole episode was more or less 24p.... Aside from UPS, I haven't seen any new show that is completely 24p.

What I don't get is how (I've only heard this, so don't take me too seriously) it's claimed that 29.97fps level effects are cheaper to produce than those done at the 24fps level...

Going back to VFR, yes you hypothetically can use the usual raws found, and turn them into VFR, that is, if they haven't been IVTCed when they weren't supposed to in the first place. To put it simply (I'm not going to say how this is done, as I've barely looked into it myself) you must find what is what in terms of framerates.
dbzgundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 20:19   Link #19
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbzgundam
What I don't get is how (I've only heard this, so don't take me too seriously) it's claimed that 29.97fps level effects are cheaper to produce than those done at the 24fps level...
Technically, they just have to slap the 29.97fps stuff after everything's been converted to that framerate. At least back then, it was harder to do effects on film before converting over.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 21:48   Link #20
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

dbzgundam: As Cruzz mentioned earlier, the raws aren't truly 120fps. It's actually a mixture of 24 and 30fps with drop frames. Adding in the drop frames only makes it around 2MB larger on average. I don't remember seeing any truly 120fps anime raws before (except the ones I encoded by mistake).
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote