Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2020-12-16, 17:21   Link #221
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
He claimed he had submitted a script or perhaps a story to KyoAni where it was refused. He then believed he saw his material in a show the studio produced and apparently decided to murder over thirty people in return. It's hard to know how much credence to give the claims of someone who seemed as deranged as this guy.
IMO something simply does not fit in here. The "they stole my idea and made a profitable IP" is nothing new in Hollywood; whether it has really happened or are mere delusions of some no name writers does not change the reality that I have not heard of anyone in the USA being charged with attempted murder (and buying a firearm there is easier than hauling 20 liters of gasoline thru a city) for said reasons.

I think there must be something more to this story, it wont change the fact that he murdered on cold blood dozens of people, but the motivation seems shallow to me.

Maybe at the end of the day there is no further particular motivation from the culprit, but this alternative is even more frightening. I could be wrong but I get the sense that Japan as a society is a powder keg, you have adults routinely being overworked, living unhappy lives day in and day out with no free time to vent and no end to their misery beyond retirement. This is frightening because this might happen again in Japan, it might not be related to anime, manga or any of our hobbies, but that does not mean is less concerning and next time the perpetrator might have a full brain to begin with (this attack successfully killed many people not because he was a genius, but because that building was a fire trap and they had the bad luck of relaxing the security the day he appeared at their doorstep)
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-16, 18:57   Link #222
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
IMO something simply does not fit in here. The "they stole my idea and made a profitable IP" is nothing new in Hollywood; whether it has really happened or are mere delusions of some no name writers does not change the reality that I have not heard of anyone in the USA being charged with attempted murder (and buying a firearm there is easier than hauling 20 liters of gasoline thru a city) for said reasons.

I think there must be something more to this story, it wont change the fact that he murdered on cold blood dozens of people, but the motivation seems shallow to me.

Maybe at the end of the day there is no further particular motivation from the culprit, but this alternative is even more frightening. I could be wrong but I get the sense that Japan as a society is a powder keg, you have adults routinely being overworked, living unhappy lives day in and day out with no free time to vent and no end to their misery beyond retirement. This is frightening because this might happen again in Japan, it might not be related to anime, manga or any of our hobbies, but that does not mean is less concerning and next time the perpetrator might have a full brain to begin with (this attack successfully killed many people not because he was a genius, but because that building was a fire trap and they had the bad luck of relaxing the security the day he appeared at their doorstep)
Well yes, in the US, people get murdered much more often in greater numbers for equally if not stupider reasons.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-16, 19:32   Link #223
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Well yes, in the US, people get murdered much more often in greater numbers for equally if not stupider reasons.
Most of those aren't considered to be on the level of terrorist attacks.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-17, 00:58   Link #224
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
IIRC, the latest news is that he's being taken to court.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-17, 08:08   Link #225
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
You know, I probably shouldn't be giddy at this thought, but one does sneak in:

Here's what I've heard actually happens when someone gets the death penalty in Japan: they don't tell anyone when the execution date actually is. It could be (hypothetically speaking) as early as the first or second day he goes to death row, or it could be years from now. In other words, he's going to be living each day on death row not knowing if it's going to be the day they take him from his cell and execute him. I'm going to assume this might eventually cause a mental breakdown... not something I should ever be happy about, but this guy is the only exception to "wish no cruelty upon a person".

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-17, 08:12   Link #226
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
If a rich and powerful man like Carlos Ghosn had to flee Japan cuz the living conditions in prison are too harsh for him, imagine how it is for a future death row prisoner of lower social condition like that guy.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-17, 08:16   Link #227
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I would argue the Carlos Ghosn story is a VERY different incident, but that's completely off-topic.

More to the point, as I said, normally it is a horrendous idea to wish Hell upon anyone, but again, this guy is an exception to that.

I think I mentioned it on an early page, but this murder was also slightly pre-mediated: there were chains found on the escape doors, and normally, KyoAni has as much security as any other place... but they were expecting guests on this day, and our murderer took advantage of the lax security.

Short version is, I stopped seeing this guy as a human ages ago; I see him as a cold, cruel monster that deserves the worst Japan's system can give.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-17, 10:53   Link #228
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

On the contrary, I hope it (the trial and the whole situation) doesn't turn into a spectacle where the public flaunt their worst selves. Way to shit on KyoAni's memory even more if that happens
Old 2020-12-17, 11:48   Link #229
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
On the contrary, I hope it (the trial and the whole situation) doesn't turn into a spectacle where the public flaunt their worst selves. Way to shit on KyoAni's memory even more if that happens
I agree. I don't have a lot of pity for the perpetrator either, but that's no reason to give up principles.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-17, 15:12   Link #230
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

No giving up principles. Just allow the Japanese justice system to work and if justice needs to be done, it should be done.
Old 2020-12-17, 16:36   Link #231
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Well said.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-17, 20:19   Link #232
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Suspect is already formally indicted by the prosecutors.

It starts.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-24, 23:52   Link #233
ramlaen

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202...333101000.html
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-25, 08:33   Link #234
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

For those of us who don't read Japanese: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-68090388

The arsonist was sentenced to death, rejecting his attorney's plea that he was "mentally incompetent" at the time he set the fire.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote