AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2024-04-15, 19:33   Link #21
grecefar

holo earned her keep all right with the pelts deal and even more helping lawrence figure the zheren's deal.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-15, 23:10   Link #22
Ragashingo
Happy Sphere

Just saw that the dub is starting to come out. As expected they brought back the voice talent for Lawerence and Holo. They sound good as always. I listen to them often narrating the light novel audiobooks that come out every month or so, so it wasn't such a long absence.

Also, they recorded an English version of the OP. That was unexpected!
Old 2024-04-16, 10:24   Link #23
Jaden

Holo's role is rather challenging for the voice talent, you have to be a smartass but come out just looking cute and not too pretentious. AND also sound like a lady from the Edo period. Well, she has 20 years of experience and did the same role before, so this is just another tuesday for her. I kinda want to go back, and see how much refinement there is compared to the old performance.

I don't remember how this plot with the silver plays out, but I recall that it kinda went over my head back in the day. As a seasoned crypto bust survivor, nothing will surprise me anymore, though.
Old 2024-04-22, 13:31   Link #24
Frontier

Another meeting between Lawrence, Holo, and Zheren...seems straightforward enough and things seem to be going well...but Lawrence has already informed Milone Trading of what's going on with this Trenni Silver deal and they've already begun their investigation. And Lawrence stands to make an even tidier profit off of it in the end .

It's pretty high praise from Holo to compare Lawrence to the first human she truly befriended and whom she remembers so fondly .

Hochuu Otsuka as Richten! Managing this deal and offering up plenty of potential shares for Lawrence and the knowledge that this is all the work of Medio Training a noble backing him! Though it might not be quite so over for Lawrence .

Any merchant dreams of setting up their own shop, having a place to call home that's no the road, and being able to really settle down, start a family...but for Holo, that means the end of her journey with Lawrence and returning to a solitary life of loneliness. And she's so tired of being lonely, especially dreaming of all the people she cherished never being around her any more. But it shows how important Holo has become for Lawrence that he's willing to downplay his dream to emphasize that he's willing to stick beside her, comfort her when she needed comforting, and even using the illustration of his dream shop to help dry her tears .

And the mood is definitely improving if Holo is dragging him into the same bed and their lips were THIS close...so of course Medio Training thugs had to show up and kill the moment !

Although it's also kind of romantic watching them on the run together, holding hands, and trying to escape capture...especially so when Holo is willing to play the distraction to make sure Lawrence makes it to Milone safely, even at risk to herself, because she wants to make sure he can make this deal and achieve his dream. She feels she owes that to the companionship and kindness he's showed her. But Lawrence didn't want to let her go .

The good news is Lawrence made it in time and got saved by Tetsu Inada. The bad news is they captured Holo...and because Lawrence had already revealed everything to the Milone Trading Company, using them as hostages for the business deal was effectively pointless (though it's kind of cute how Richten compares Lawrences' loss to if he lost his own wife). That and a letter from her captors reveals they know full well what Holo is, and she seems to recognize the person running this .
Old 2024-04-22, 18:42   Link #25
grecefar

her indentity was found pretty early, I didn't expect that. If her indetity would play a part in the anime I thought it was when they reached north, not in the middle of a business deal by being kidnapped.

Maybe that person is the friend holo was talking early.
Old 2024-04-23, 13:02   Link #26
zeross87

I don't know why they didn't consider her transforming back into a wolf to scare them away then when no one is in the vicinity turning back in order for her identity not being exposed
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-04-23, 16:12   Link #27
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeross87 View Post
I don't know why they didn't consider her transforming back into a wolf to scare them away then when no one is in the vicinity turning back in order for her identity not being exposed
Judging by the OP I think her wolf form is wayyy too big to be transforming into in a city.
Old 2024-04-29, 13:30   Link #28
Frontier

You know it's serious when Holo finds out the identity of one of her abductors and it leaves her shocked speechless .

What's to be done about retrieving Holo? One wrong move and the church finds out about her existence, and they're utterly screwed. Milone Trading Company will be hit by the church's influence and there's probably nowhere Lawrence and Holo can go .

But Lawrence can't lose his head despite knowing Holo is captured, he has to think like a merchant. And that means making business deals with royalty who are trying to reinforce their coffers with the new reduced quality Trenni Silver, gain the perks from that deal, and then selling it to Medio Trading to still make a profit and get them to back off. Not to mention letting Milone really get to strut their stuff as a trading company that's dealt with worse than this .

Holo is...decidedly unenthusiastic about her rescue (staged to look like a burglary). She got it in her head that Lawrence was going to get in there and bust some heads trying to free her...but he still came through and rescued her, and that's enough .

Not that Holo was ever in any danger. She's attractive enough to charm any man and if that fails she can always rip off their balls .

But who was it that helped capture her? None other than Holo's old buddy Yarei...who got to see his village's God in the flesh, and while it was flattering for Holo to see someone from her village finally acknowledge her again, it quickly turned bad when Yarei used it as an excuse to double-down on his lack of faith and get rid of her .

Though with Lawrence and Holo together, they'll be the ones to have the last laugh! Even if they're also downplaying how much they care about each other and the true nature of their relationship, though Lawrence can't talk too harshly towards Holo when she really turns on her cute face. And they mutually think each other are cute .

Gotta admire the merchants who see a cute wolf woman and just roll with it. The driver even got to see a Holo dance .

Looks like Yarei and his group are still trying to hunt down Holo! I don't see this ending well...for them at least .
Old 2024-04-29, 14:54   Link #29
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Whew, glad things worked out to this point.

Even more in this version it really gets spelled out how Holo embarrassed herself in mistaking who came to rescue her . I do feel for her there. Was a bit emotionally charged after that tough chat with Yarei. I'm still glad they had that chance while traveling to smooth things out and get their heads on straight.

Honestly it's not even like Holo was exaggerating what would happen if someone made an attempt on her. She herself said blood would be enough to transform and if they got close enough to make an attempt they could easily end up getting a few body parts ripped off!

Lawrence deserves props for hanging in there with the negotiations. Without help, rescuing Holo would have been near impossible for him. But instead the tables are turned a bit with Milone making their move and able to hurry negotiations along. They just need to stay on the run long enough and it'll all work out.

And yeah, I'm always loving Holo and Lawrence together. Cute stuff like her abusing her privileges as a cute girl is more than ok . Besides she does obviously appreciate all that Lawrence has done for her.
Old 2024-04-29, 20:35   Link #30
grecefar

well, lawrence is a merchant not a warrior but I kind of understand what holo wanted and it she was saved just after what yarei said to her so she was in a bad place, it was like adding salt to the wound.

it seems yarei's "new age" will start pretty badly. Looking foward to it.
Old 2024-04-30, 10:34   Link #31
HandofFate

the hand and ear dance Holo started doing in the carriage at the end was so random and out of nowhere, lol.
Old 2024-04-30, 11:24   Link #32
zeross87

that ear dance was so GIFable
Old 2024-04-30, 12:42   Link #33
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeross87 View Post
that ear dance was so GIFable
Indeed it is!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2024-04-30, 12:57   Link #34
zeross87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Indeed it is!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
thanks a lot i could look at it all day<3
Old 2024-04-30, 15:10   Link #35
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

The ears are even in sync with hands.
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-05-03, 07:59   Link #36
s07195
However,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
But Lawrence can't lose his head despite knowing Holo is captured, he has to think like a merchant. And that means making business deals with royalty who are trying to reinforce their coffers with the new reduced quality Trenni Silver, gain the perks from that deal, and then selling it to Medio Trading to still make a profit and get them to back off. Not to mention letting Milone really get to strut their stuff as a trading company that's dealt with worse than this .
Funny to use that phrasing... one thing they never addressed (or maybe Lawrence was smart enough to not steer the conversation in that direction) is the possibility Milone could just kill Lawrence then accuse Medio of harbouring Holo.

Also Milone: "Possibly getting accused of heresy and demon-colluding? Meh, just another day.
Old 2024-05-06, 13:33   Link #37
Frontier

Holo and Lawrence are on the run and holding hands! But the Medio Trading people are closing in on them, luckily they've got Holo's wolf instincts to keep them safe and out of sight, though they have a long ways to go to make an escape. But they really thought they could use hounds to hunt down the Wise Wolf Holo? They're puppies next to her .

Holo and Lawrence make for a surprisingly effective tag-team! Holo bites 'em, Lawrence socks 'em! At least up until Lawrence gets stabbed and they have to keep moving forward while he's bleeding out .

Lawrence has a serious wound and is barely holding it together, their big attempt at an escape is a bust, and they're trapped against a bunch of men...and, of course, Lawrence's old buddy Yarei shows up just in time to confront the duo .

Lawrence has put two-and-two together what Yarei is getting out of all this, and from Yarei's perspective it's to Lawrence's benefit to give them Holo and make even more money off of this deal and by practically selling her off. And he very well could...had he not already had a contract with her to take her back home, and Lawrence is a man true to his deed, and won't abandon Holo. Which also means Yarei has no more reason to keep him alive .

There was really only one solution, Holo sucking Lawrence's blood and turning into her true wolf form, and even if she didn't want Lawrence to see her like this, she's a majestic sight as a giant, noble, wolf who tramples overall her enemies and would've nearly bitten Yarei's head off if not for Holo's mercy (or Lawrence's intervention). And Yarei really had to keep talking smack about Gods. Get a new line, dude .

Lawrence so desperate to make sure Holo doesn't leave him...I mean, fulfill the debt she owes him for the clothes she ripped up when she transformed! Those were expense! Just don't leave him, Holo !

It is sweet that Holo stood by Lawrence until help arrived (and some Milone Trading folks got to see her in her divine nakedness). And things ended up working out for the best. The deal with the royal family didn't net them the profits they wanted, thanks to copious amounts of tariffs, but they were able to get the privilege and making even more money off of the deal with Medio Trading and even let Yarei get what he wanted (even if he's got a lot weighing on his conscience now). And all Lawrence wants is some spice before winter .

But the thing that made him happiest is a receipt for clothes, a comb, and apples, knowing fully well that that means Holo was waiting for him. Because of course she doesn't want him hunting her down, she'll fully pay back her debts! And he has every intention of making her, as they find any excuse to stay together. Spice and Wolf indeed !
Old 2024-05-06, 19:14   Link #38
grecefar

I was kind of disappointed with holo's form. I expected something more majestic or monster-like with how lawrence was afraid at the beginning. She was just a big doggo, while it may be intimidating it's not that scary, in fact she looked more like a dog than a wolf.

anyway, everything ended not that great for the deal but at least she didn't leave him and his word worked. The title was dropped too in this chapter, "Spice and Wolf". Fitting with lawrence asking for pepper.
Old 2024-05-06, 21:59   Link #39
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
And that caps off the first arc in spectacular fashion .

It really was a matter of time before they were pinned down. And in a sense they were saved by being prevented from getting out of the underground anyways. Less options for escape in public. And down there Holo could really cut loose.

One thing I'll say is that I truly respect the alternative character choice of the original. Yarei is good, but something about that other option just worked super well in this particular scene.

Credit to Lawrence for putting up a good fight. Of course thankfully the guy that stabbed him is hardly a hit man, probably charged him blindly since he didn't have the stomach to watch as he stabbed someone from behind. Got a deserved low kick though! Lawrence may not fight pretty, but he fights effectively!

Holo's wolf form looks great no matter the version. Absolutely overwhelming. Truly humans aren't a serious opponent to her unless they are bringing more firepower than some knives and sticks!

The ups and downs of trading at full display here too. Things went badly...but then they turned around! That Kingdom is pretty screwed if they were devaluing their currency that severely. But that's their problem! Lawrence and Holo are in good shape and ready to continue the adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
I was kind of disappointed with holo's form. I expected something more majestic or monster-like with how lawrence was afraid at the beginning. She was just a big doggo, while it may be intimidating it's not that scary, in fact she looked more like a dog than a wolf.

anyway, everything ended not that great for the deal but at least she didn't leave him and his word worked. The title was dropped too in this chapter, "Spice and Wolf". Fitting with lawrence asking for pepper.
I mean it is called Spice and Wolf. Not sure what one could expect besides her being...a wolf . Plus I'd suspect the guys she ran down would consider her plenty monstrous. Wolves are scary enough at normal size. Once they start towering over humans it straight up becomes horrific.
Old 2024-05-07, 14:02   Link #40
zeross87

well i'm a little confused with the episode.
- if she could transform into a wolf that "small" she could have transformed in order not to be captured in the first place a few episode back. yeah they mention people not seeing her but in the dark of the night back then i really think it could have gone smoothly
- why did she need to drink his blood to transform when in ep1 she did not need it ?
- why pull the disapearing act only to reappear less then 5minutes afterward. she could have done her purchase, and be back at his side for his awakening. it would have been less class but more sweet of her.