AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero

Notices

Old 2023-10-13, 17:10   Link #21
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Wait wait wait is a non-loli non-fweh actually joining the gang?

The slavery component of this series never really bothered me that much, although I tend to give edgy power fantasy (and slave harem) a pass. The worst is the Civ isekai that pretend to have a nuanced take... I usually end up wishing they had kept it to themselves.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-14, 05:55   Link #22
magnuskn

Well, as a Pathfinder GM and player, I really liked Nadia casting Chain Lightning.

And, yeah, seems Naofumi's team has increased by one Ara Ara.
Old 2023-10-14, 16:46   Link #23
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I am kind of impressed at how bad it... isn't.

I still am a bit traumatized by them taking the worst arc and making it worse. And then taking the better arc, and also making it worse. There's still room for history to repeat.

But as someone who has been following the franchise for a while now, I will continue to watch either way. But I did enjoy these last two episodes.

The fighting has always been a bit wooden even in the LN.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-16, 01:40   Link #24
Twi

I just noticed in the OP they show Motoyatsu bleeding out whereas Ren and Itsuki were just being a loner and bullied.
Old 2023-10-16, 02:11   Link #25
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I am kind of impressed at how bad it... isn't.

I still am a bit traumatized by them taking the worst arc and making it worse. And then taking the better arc, and also making it worse. There's still room for history to repeat.

But as someone who has been following the franchise for a while now, I will continue to watch either way.
Yeah, I checked out of season 2 after 3 episodes, only caught up when I realised season 3 was coming out this fall and on a binge season 2 watch it wasnt as terrible as i expected, it was actually pretty decent after the turtle was finally dead, but how long it took to get there was painful, and woulda been even more painful if I had to wait a week per episode of that arc lol
Old 2023-10-20, 08:42   Link #26
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
I just noticed in the OP they show Motoyatsu bleeding out whereas Ren and Itsuki were just being a loner and bullied.
If I recall correctly he was killed by a jealous ex gf or something along those lines.

I liked this episode. Naofumi is creating a little family at his village. And he actually thought up a fitting punishment for the would be kidnappers.

I also forgot this was the arc where the Trash King got character development.

I don't think my body is ready for the Spear Hero arc though. That's definitely going to be... an event.
Old 2023-10-20, 09:03   Link #27
Frontier

There is nothing good about kids in cages, but it's the only life Fohl and his injured sister Atla (voiced by Konomi Kohara!) know as he throws fights to make money for them and Atla's treatment. It's not a pleasant sight .

Fake slaves!? What's the idea? Winning over the Shield Hero and getting the perks of living with him or joining his Harem? Either way the slave merchant makes money. Sometimes I just wish Naofumi would punch that dude .

Having a White Tiger join the party seems like a great idea with his potential for strong stats and high level cap, especially so when he'll do anything to help his sister and Naofumi has just the elixir needed to help heal her. And thus Fohl and Atla join the group .

Naofumi accomplished a lot on this trip. Brought back a lot of slave kids, reunited them with their families, and even found a Killer Whale Waifu who is all over him! Brings out more of Raphtalia's aggressive side, too !

I love the idea of mom and dad Melty and Naofumi trying to keep the village afloat economically. And Sadeena trying to get Naofumi to unwind by drinking with her because liquor is literally water to her .

That was a really sweet scene of Atla ditching her bandages and learning to stand on her own two feet again with her brother .

I guess Naofumi was right to be worried about someone attacking the village when bandits show up and use a hostage to keep the kids from fighting back. Turns out it's the same bandits that attacked the village the first time and sold Raphtalia into slavery. Now they're back for round two !

I thought Fohl would fend them off, but he was at least able to signal Naofumi who showed up in record time with his gang. And they make short work of the bandits. Rishia even beat one dude! What a huge accomplishment !

Wow, Naofumi was straight up going to execute the bandit leader. Eclair was also totally cool with that when she rode in until she realized he had noble ties and there'd be too much political fallback if they summarily executed him. But selling him and his gang into slavery in a nation that worships the Shield Hero feels like a just punishment and probably the first time slavery has genuinely been a good thing in this show .

What is the Trash ex-King doing reacting to Atla like that? Sounds like he had a pretty long backstory as the Staff Hero doing all he could for his sister. Could Fohl and Atla be related to his sister since she was held in Sitvelt before he defeated the king in vengeance ?

They found Motoyasu? Really? Are we sure that's a good thing? I mean...it's Motoyasu .
Old 2023-10-20, 11:11   Link #28
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
If I recall correctly he was killed by a jealous ex gf or something along those lines.
A bit more complicated than that involving a quiet girl and a childhood friend according to Reprise of a Spear Hero. That's why he stayed away from Rishia and pawned her off to Naofumi to deal with.
Old 2023-10-20, 19:21   Link #29
grecefar

It was a good chance to at least make fohl more useful and beat some of those guys, he level 38 and had some experience fighting.

you can argue those slavers have experience but they looked more generic than normal.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-21, 09:20   Link #30
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
It was a good chance to at least make fohl more useful and beat some of those guys, he level 38 and had some experience fighting.

you can argue those slavers have experience but they looked more generic than normal.
Yeah, I'm not really sure why he didn't fight back at all .
Old 2023-10-21, 10:04   Link #31
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
What is the Trash ex-King doing reacting to Atla like that? Sounds like he had a pretty long backstory as the Staff Hero doing all he could for his sister. Could Fohl and Atla be related to his sister since she was held in Sitvelt before he defeated the king in vengeance ?

They found Motoyasu? Really? Are we sure that's a good thing? I mean...it's Motoyasu .
The implication is that Atla and Fohl are actually her children. Their mother was Trash’s sister. Their father was the king that Trash slew.

Oh you have no idea. Lol
Old 2023-10-21, 11:27   Link #32
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Yeah, I'm not really sure why he didn't fight back at all .

From what I've heard, Sadina, Fohl and Atla don't join until Volume 11 while the Slavers attacked in Volume 10. Because they reorganized things he wasn't supposed to be there in the first place and they can't change events significantly, so I guess they tried to get around that by having their levels reset or something.

Last edited by Twi; 2023-10-21 at 14:06.
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-21, 15:52   Link #33
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Too bad the level reset happened after that.
Old 2023-10-21, 18:03   Link #34
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Rising of the Shield Hero season 3. First Thoughts

The Dark Coliseum
Running out of gas and novelty with each passing season of the Shield Hero, and it doesn't come as a surprise to me given the treatment done to the previous season.

With that out of the way, we're now entered into the third season, and the current arc involves Naofumi's party visiting Zeltoble to get any leads on the purchased demi-humans from Raphtalia's village.

The underground colisseum is not out of the ordinary for Naofumi to handle once he witnesses the matches in order to get the rundown on the rules and the mechanics involving the battles and bets, and I do not forget to get himself a sponsor for his battle team.

Nadia
She is definite powerhouse to deliver such a hard time to Naofumi's team, but we are all glad the she and Raphtalia were previously acquainted, and her goals aligned with Naofumi's to buy back the Lurolona demi-humans.

Nadia's sponsor like the crooked pigs hates losing money so he deals every dirty trick to invalidate Naofumi's team from winning the championship. Hence, Naofumi's team & Nadia were pitted against the Murder Clown.
Nevertheless, the team won thanks to Nadia and Naofumi casting the Choral spell on Raphtalia in order to boost the latter's power.

Raph-chan thought she had Murder Clown on the leash, but the assassin easily escaped warning before leaving that Naofumi's team needs to seriously bulk-up to prepare for the enemies that will get in their way in the future.

Sponsor-kun again tries to interfere to invalidate Naofumi's team results, but he's shot down by the slave and shop merchants the latter owns the store with the most presence in the city.
I mean it is in times like these that Naofumi should be grateful of his reputation as the Shield Hero, because his name in and on itself has become a famous brand for the people, and a brand that both merchants will make use the most to keep on earning their profits.

Now, the focus on this arc is shifting next episode to the demi-human Fohl and his sister Alto whom is gravely sick.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-21, 18:22   Link #35
grecefar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
From what I've heard, Sadina, Fohl and Atla don't join until Volume 11 while the Slavers attacked in Volume 10. Because they reorganized things he wasn't supposed to be there in the first place and they can't change events significantly, so I guess they tried to get around that by having their levels reset or something.
but their levels were reset after the slavers attacked.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-21, 20:22   Link #36
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
but their levels were reset after the slavers attacked.
The point I was trying to make is that they weren't supposed to be there so to make the plot still work they had to nerf the characters. So the boy who wasn't supposed to be there underperformed. It's not the first time the anime has taken liberties that don't make sense, and do you really want me to start thinking more deeply about it when doing so leaves me prone to starting to try and take apart every little flaw I can perceive?

I'm sincerely trying not to do that since it'd feel like kicking a dying horse.
Old 2023-10-21, 23:15   Link #37
larethian

Wait, so Naofumi only picked up the siblings after the slavers incident? That would make a bit more sense than what the anime did.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-22, 01:00   Link #38
magnuskn

Yeah, that Fohl didn't fight back made little sense. Ah, well. I guess I was more upset that the whole story again leaned into the slavery angle with Naofumi gleefully making the slavers slaves themselves, with some BS "Well, we can't execute them, because some noble might get upset about stuff he'll never know if we don't tell anybody" reason.

Other than that, the season is pretty solid so far. Not a "dying horse" by any measure.
Old 2023-10-22, 13:54   Link #39
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I'm pretty used to rushes, and this doesn't seem like too big an issue compared to a lot of things. And honestly this show is still far better than most anime adaptations when it comes to cuts, rearrangements, rushes, etc.

One thing disappointed me though was them cutting out Sadeena's arguments with her master. It kind of sets a tone when the bastard complains about her not doing as told, triggers the slave crest to inflict severe pain, and she doesn't respond at all. Beyond her battle prowess, showing off that she can completely no-sell the equivalent of an over-charged stun gun straight to the chest is a pretty darn awesome demonstration of her capabilities in my book.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-22, 17:07   Link #40
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Yeah, that Fohl didn't fight back made little sense. Ah, well. I guess I was more upset that the whole story again leaned into the slavery angle with Naofumi gleefully making the slavers slaves themselves, with some BS "Well, we can't execute them, because some noble might get upset about stuff he'll never know if we don't tell anybody" reason.

Other than that, the season is pretty solid so far. Not a "dying horse" by any measure.
I thought some justice had finally been served. Execution isn't a punishment anyway.