AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero

Notices

View Poll Results: Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 1 9.09%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 0 0%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 45.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 45.45%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2019-05-07, 22:26   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero - Episode 18 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero, Episode 18.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2019-05-08, 10:57   Link #2
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Well that's one way to ensure Motoyasu won't listen to a word Naofumi says: claim the other two are dead and he killed them! Of course, it's pretty obvious they're really alive both because of plot armor and because the opening shows enough to raise doubts (I'm pretty sure we haven't seen all the party members shown, so it'd be weird to show the party they're traveling with after they're dead). But man, what a place to end the ep.

Once again I sort of wish the beginning of this series had included the descriptions of the heroes in the book.
Spoiler for Comparison to the book:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2019-05-11 at 14:08. Reason: Please use spoiler tags for any and all comparisons
Old 2019-05-08, 11:14   Link #3
Ichinotachi

This episode was kinda fast if I'm being honest but not bad, I wonder if Motoyasu's IQ can reach 2 digits because holy shit he's so dumb, he can't even think for himself and instead he does everything malty wants instead of trying to reach the truth.

Finally we got the Pope, quite smart strategy he has there, trying to kill the heroes and wiping out the royalty all at the same time while blaming the Shield Hero for all this. Of course Naofumi and Co. aren't going to sit there and just watch, can't wait to see what's going to happen next episode.
Old 2019-05-08, 11:52   Link #4
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Is it just me, or do the colors of this episode feel paler than normal? Also, Naofumi's face looks different, younger than usual (in some shots).

Mein shows yet another elemental strength, creating a lightning cage. On top of the fire attacks she used last time, and the subtle skill she had with wind, it seems that she has quite a talent for magic.

The mannequin guards were irritating.

While witch-girl and dancer-girl were trapped in the cage with Motoyasu and Mein, I was a bit surprised that they didn't do anything to assist in the fight. They both seem like support types, so I'd expect them to be boosting Motoyasu, if nothing else. I guess maybe they were just holding back and watching for any actions by Naofumi's team. (And as the episode progresses, they start getting to do stuff.)

Filo charges, annndd... Chocobo music! And now witch-girl acts, and Filo changes up her attack patterns to use her new magic, and making good use of her human form. Nice!

Combo attack from Motoyasu's side. Nifty.

Notes from screen when Raphtalia gets up close: Recent magic casts of Fast Guard, Fast Heal.

Combo shield: Erst Shield + Fast Hiding ⇒ Hiding Shield

Neat that there's still more tricks to learn about the weapons, and that Motoyasu has a few tricks up his sleeve that even Naofumi hadn't figured out.

Drain SP?! Woot! Always an important trick to have.

And boom. Big badda boom. Holy crap. [Math stuff at bottom]

And finally a revelation of the biggest of conspiracies: Not only is the church heavily prejudiced against the Shield Hero (and pissed that he's getting people to question church doctrine about him), they are also officially done with the crap that the other three heroes have been doing, creating non-Wave calamities for the kingdom.

Of course, there's a small feeling that the church may have been setting them up to fail, because I still feel like the 'guild' that was giving them quests was a front for the church. Yet at the same time, the guild didn't force Motoyasu to use that cursed seed, or Ren to leave a decaying corpse, or choose the plan that Itsuki used to overthrown the neighboring kingdom. So the church may feel that, even though they were manipulating the heroes to accomplish these necessary actions, the heroes themselves were screwing up badly enough that the church couldn't gain the benefit or recognition they wanted from the manipulation in the first place.

And so, ironically, the church is executing on Fitoria's plan: Kill all the heroes and start over from scratch.

~~~

Math stuff

There are several ways to estimate the area affected by the blast.

The area that Naofumi protected (@18:15) is about 35 feet (10 m) across when considered vs their body sizes in that scene. At the same time, though, we know that his Shield Prison ball isn't nearly that big, so it feels more like they deliberately enlarged the area after the fact.

The overall crater (@17:40) is about 10x as wide as the protected area, so about 350 feet (100 m) across. A bit bigger than a football field (of either variety).

However when we measure the walls during their approach (@5:13), the space between the two towers that still remained standing after the blast is about 84 feet (25 m). Applying that scale to the blast crater, since we can still see the towers in the image of the blast, indicates that the blast crater is about 110 feet (33 m) across, and the protected area is about 12 feet (4 m) across (more in line with the scene where they were all contained within the Shield Prison).

The crater depth is about twice as deep as the protected area is wide, so something like 70 feet deep (21 m; roughly equivalent to a 6 story building). However using some of the other measurements and other perspectives, it's more likely to be around 30-40 feet deep (~10m).

The amount of energy used in this attack is ginormous no matter what. With the soil actually heated to lava temperatures while vaporizing all the earth inside a huge crater, we're well beyond little piddly stuff like Motoyasu's Meteor Spear.
Old 2019-05-08, 12:43   Link #5
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I love how he just blatantly convicts the Shield Hero for the crime of making people like the Shield Hero.
Old 2019-05-08, 12:45   Link #6
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichinotachi View Post
This episode was kinda fast if I'm being honest but not bad, I wonder if Motoyasu's IQ can reach 2 digits because holy shit he's so dumb, he can't even think for himself and instead he does everything malty wants instead of trying to reach the truth.

Finally we got the Pope, quite smart strategy he has there, trying to kill the heroes and wiping out the royalty all at the same time while blaming the Shield Hero for all this. Of course Naofumi and Co. aren't going to sit there and just watch, can't wait to see what's going to happen next episode.
I don't know if I'd call him THAT dumb, just loyal to extreme fault. It reminds me of an old series by David Eddings, in which you had an entire kingdom obsessed with honor and chivalry. Everyone outside thought of them as imbeciles, but eventually it became clear that they were just so committed to their concept of honor that they couldn't allow themselves to break from it even when it seems to demand the most ridiculous and idiotic actions (thus why they'd been stuck in civil war for around a century: their honor compels them to continue). Same with Motoyasu: he's absolutely committed to supporting, defending and trusting his allies, to the point that you could present any amount of evidence that they are just using him and never thought of him as a companion and he'd deny every last bit of it; his personal code won't let him do otherwise. Mein will have to directly abandon or betray him before he'd be willing to doubt anything she says.
Old 2019-05-08, 15:11   Link #7
Twi

She's not even being subtle about wanting to be the next queen. Filo should have left her outside of the shield cover.
Old 2019-05-08, 15:41   Link #8
The Green One

Oh look a game like RPG world where the Church is actually evil power hungry backstabbing assholes! What a shocking twist that none of us have ever seen before!

Yeah.... I don't think Myne knows what subtlety is. It seems she was working with the Church thinking they'd put her on the throne, and the Pope is all "LOL J/K Die please." Couldn't of happened to a nicer backstabber. Lets see how she likes being on the other end for a change.

Now then. How will they get out of this one? Apparently that Sword is something super dangerous. Well we'll find out next week.

Good fight scene btw, nice to see everyone actively participating in this one and everyone got a chance to shine too. Props to Naofumi for facetanking that magical nuke to the face. Looks like it took absolutely everything and was only barely enough. Even the Spear Hero has to put aside their differences with Nafoumi this time surely.
Old 2019-05-08, 16:07   Link #9
Huh...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Oh look a game like RPG world where the Church is actually evil power hungry backstabbing assholes! What a shocking twist that none of us have ever seen before!
Well, currently there are many stories/series which follow that kind of plot, so it doesn't feel that surprising.

But this series is actually old (atleast currently 6+ years old now), considering the Web Novel started in 2012, and during that time there weren't that many stories/series which showcased a 'Church' being evil and controlled by power hungry and backstabbing people (there were some, but not as many as we have seen in the last 2-3 years).

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Old 2019-05-08, 16:08   Link #10
Wandering Soul

Ah yes, one of the many lessons I learned from anime and in particular JRPGs: Never trust organized religion.
Old 2019-05-08, 16:14   Link #11
Huh...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
Ah yes, one of the many lessons I learned from anime and in particular JRPGs: Never trust organized religion.
No need to do that, just check our own history (while being impartial, to not cloud your judgment), and you would find many events and stories of the past, which would show you the same thing as we see in these anime.

Religion has always been used as a great weapon to kill/hurt countless people since long past, and even now. I would even say that, in our current world, more people around the world die per year on average because of religious issues, rather than a terrorist attack or a disease.

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Old 2019-05-08, 16:33   Link #12
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I clearly gave Myne too much credit. I thought she was manipulating the Church but she was the one being used. It was going to end up with one betraying the other, but I thought she'd come out on top. Not sure why actually, considering her strategies only worked because people trusted her too much or were plain dumb.

Ren and Itsuki are obviously alive, but after seeing the damage caused by that magic, I wonder how they even survived. Naofumi had to use several layers of protection to counter the attack, and they could have done that.
Old 2019-05-08, 16:39   Link #13
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Come on we've known that for a long time now. The looks the priestesses have given him as they block him makes it quite obvious, not to mention that the church is explicitly shown several times to only revere the other three while people serving the church have called him the Shield Demon. I believe they were also involved in the claims of the brainwashing shield on account of the fact that people were siding with the "bad guy". Might be a bit of a surprise that they'd go this far, but they've never been the good guys. Not to mention that, yes, a JRPG-style story with a benevolent church is like a zombie movie where there's a believable chance for a happy ending.

And Huh, please don't go talking about how organized religion is REALLY evil or nonsense like that, that's just asking for trouble.
Old 2019-05-08, 16:43   Link #14
The Green One

*cough* I was being sarcastic guys.....

Well anyway it looks like this is a full on coup d'etat attempt here.
Old 2019-05-08, 16:44   Link #15
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I clearly gave Myne too much credit. I thought she was manipulating the Church but she was the one being used. It was going to end up with one betraying the other, but I thought she'd come out on top. Not sure why actually, considering her strategies only worked because people trusted her too much or were plain dumb.

Ren and Itsuki are obviously alive, but after seeing the damage caused by that magic, I wonder how they even survived. Naofumi had to use several layers of protection to counter the attack, and they could have done that.
I imagine they dodged it instead of tanking it. They may have lost some party members, though.
Old 2019-05-08, 17:28   Link #16
The Green One

They were in a cave and there was no sign of them leaving. It seems like they took it straight on.
Old 2019-05-08, 17:47   Link #17
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

The fact that they were in a cave is likely the reason they could survive. The mountain of rock would take the brunt of the attack, as long as they could get out of the direct line of fire. If they had been out in the open like Naofumi, no way they could have survived.
Old 2019-05-08, 18:07   Link #18
Galaxian

My favorite part in the episode was the cliche slow clap the Pope gave Naofumi. I couldn't stop laughing.

A close second was Firo's "this is mine now." line.
Old 2019-05-08, 18:31   Link #19
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
The fact that they were in a cave is likely the reason they could survive. The mountain of rock would take the brunt of the attack, as long as they could get out of the direct line of fire. If they had been out in the open like Naofumi, no way they could have survived.
The ceiling of the cave was open to the sky though. No big defense from a death from above attack like that. Also even if it wasn't it wouldn't hold back the blast for long and assuming it doesn't cave in and crush them underneath they'd be atomized once the ceiling gives out.
Old 2019-05-08, 18:33   Link #20
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It's possible their party members shielded them with their bodies, with maybe some of them having some protection spells to make it more plausible.