AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero

Notices

Old 2019-01-25, 17:00   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Shield Hero - Weekly Episode-to-Novel/Manga Comparison Thread [Spoilers Aplenty]

As the title of this thread suggest, the purpose here is to allow discussion which compares the content between an anime episode as it aired and how it is laid out in the source material the anime was adapted from. All spoilers are allowed as long as it is relevant to the discussion at hand. It will be helpful if the posters clearly indicate the episode number before engaging into a detailed comparison to the source material. Obviously you are required to watch the episode prior to posting here. Thread is open to everyone, but since the novel/manga readers are expected to participate, the anime-only viewers are advised to use discretion before venturing into this thread.

For the Shield Hero Novel/Manga-Readers: Please do your darndest best to stay on topic when engaging into these comparison. Whenever you see one of your fellow novel/manga-reader is spewing spoiler for no apparent reason, feel free to tell him/her to stop. Report such post so a moderator can delete the off-topic post.

Have fun!
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-06, 16:03   Link #2
Twi

When I look at the manga counterpart for Episode 5, I don't recall Spear and Sword sticking up for Naofumi as much as they had after they called the king and queen out for cheating during the duel. In fact, the manga pretty much skips to after the duel to her getting the slave crest again. Was that the case in the LN?
Old 2019-02-06, 16:43   Link #3
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Concerning ep 5:
Read that part of the novel, and yeah it's different. In fact it's the opposite. When his reward was revoked all three commented that it made sense since he "wasn't part of the battle" and all wondered just where he'd been and what he'd been doing. The pair only afterward demanded some reparation be given to him on account of the interference with the duel and the fact that he hadn't received any cooperation or quests from a guild that'd been working with them, thus diminishing his potential for profit and growth as well as fame.

Additionally, Filo was indeed rushed. She should have grown to a giant overnight, and Naofumi then brought her to the slaver to find out what the heck she was; she only turned into her humanoid form when he tried to leave her for the slaver to examine so she could beg him not to go directly.

Not to mention that Motoyasu wasn't made quite as pathetic in the race. He was supposed to fall into a final pit while Filo carefully jumped through, resulting in her finishing far ahead, not winning by a beak.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-06, 17:40   Link #4
RDNexus

Is it possible the author may have been helping with the adaptation? It could justify the changes made so far...
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-06, 22:58   Link #5
Twi

Most likely since someone posted that he had a twitter post somewhere.

I think its like with Goblin Slayer, where they shuffled some events from the source materials to make things smoother. The source materials has been going on for a long time, and if the author looked back at things and wanted to clear them up or felt he could do better, the anime is the best way to do it since both the LN and Manga are already past that point. Motoyatsu falling into the pit but making it neck-and-neck seems like it was meant to leverage things out somewhat, making sure Naofumi doesn't get too far ahead of him.
Old 2019-02-07, 00:18   Link #6
Galaxian

In the manga, Naofumi's reward for wining the race was a merchant permit and villagers threw in the carriage as a bonus, but the anime switch them around
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-07, 00:31   Link #7
BWTraveller
Born to ship

One thing I wish they'd included or done differently was the book right at the beginning. It gives a great insight into the characters' behaviors. The princess isn't just dismissed as looking "slutty" or something, Naofumi actually notes how she flirts around and plays heroes off of each other to benefit herself, resulting in his disdain for her. He also describes the other heroes beyond just their weapons: the Spear Hero is loyal above anything else, dedicated to believing and supporting those in his party; the Bow is dedicated to seeing justice served; and the Sword is committed to strength alone. This can be seen as both positives and negatives to the characters' personality. For instance, Motoyasu's loyalty could be a very great virtue, but when he chooses to trust someone so firmly that nothing will sway him from believing her every word, he can easily go from being a reliable ally to a gullible tool.
Old 2019-02-07, 12:42   Link #8
dotdotslash

Episode 5 (and some back tracking). In my opinion:

The good: Bringing the queen in earlier helps with the logical flow and is tied into the shadows pretty well.

The unavoidable: The episode is super rushed. I don't think this is really avoidable as it's really a breather and setting the stage for introducing Filo as a party member.

The bad: I wasn't a big fan of the slave curse in the books, but at least the it's also used to make Naofumi a bit of a darker character (even though this is mostly "in passing"). By jumping right to re-applying the curse it allows Naofumi to come off as less damaged. While I would have preferred the LN to go a different route, it did at least state that Naofumi was still in a place where he wouldn't yet fully trust.
dotdotslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-07, 13:31   Link #9
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Is it possible the author may have been helping with the adaptation? It could justify the changes made so far...
I'm sure author involved;

Maybe discussing change with storyboard writer as the change is blended not in a way of filler, but cutting parts where it better leave to LN/WN content (example, heroes personality as said by BWTravellers) while also add parts to make the scene made sense (example, scar-bro and villagers helping Naofumi rather than rookies volunteering themselves).

Regarding the change itself, while I appreciate the changes on 1st Wave and Spear vs. Shield moment, the change for this race is kinda awkward.
It is good because it made the days spent well under anime duration, while also bad as Filo attachment to party and her growth feels off being rushed. I wonder why they taking this decision while they can spent this episode with getting Filo + farming EXP and money + crafting with race held at next episode unless they wanted to have 1 episode slot dedicated to something else.
Old 2019-02-07, 13:33   Link #10
The Green One

I mean really, stuff getting cut in an anime due to time constraints in an episode should NOT be any sort of strange new concept by now. Anyone who's watched more than one season of anime in their life should be fully aware of this at this point. It's exasperating how people conveniently "forget" this when they complain about cut material.

Perhaps they're trying to humanize the Bow and Sword Heroes a bit more in this continuity. They believed Nafoumi committed the rape crime he was excused of as they had no access to any evidence stating otherwise besides the "He said, She said." While the planted evidence insinuated he did do it, but when they were on hand to witness the Princess blast Naofumi in the back they stepped up for him. Speaks reasonably well for their characters.
Old 2019-02-07, 16:18   Link #11
maximilianjenus
[E]

I am just resigned to the anime being a different timeloop than the ln/manga/wn.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-07, 17:41   Link #12
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
I mean really, stuff getting cut in an anime due to time constraints in an episode should NOT be any sort of strange new concept by now. Anyone who's watched more than one season of anime in their life should be fully aware of this at this point. It's exasperating how people conveniently "forget" this when they complain about cut material.

Perhaps they're trying to humanize the Bow and Sword Heroes a bit more in this continuity. They believed Nafoumi committed the rape crime he was excused of as they had no access to any evidence stating otherwise besides the "He said, She said." While the planted evidence insinuated he did do it, but when they were on hand to witness the Princess blast Naofumi in the back they stepped up for him. Speaks reasonably well for their characters.

I'm not arguing against it. If anything, I'd praise it if they keep their competency and don't come off as spoiled children.
Old 2019-02-09, 11:40   Link #13
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Ep5:
Monta... Spear jerk's party actually got the minimum amount too, because Malty cheated in the duel. That was decided right after the other heroes exposed her during the duel.
It wasn't just the shop keepers that kept rewarding him, also the villagers.
To a point where he outright refused and insisted to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
I mean really, stuff getting cut in an anime due to time constraints in an episode should NOT be any sort of strange new concept by now.
At the same time they also dragged out the race compared to the manga, where Firo easily beat the "dragon" and just jumped over the hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Concerning ep 5:
Additionally, Filo was indeed rushed. She should have grown to a giant overnight, and Naofumi then brought her to the slaver to find out what the heck she was; she only turned into her humanoid form when he tried to leave her for the slaver to examine so she could beg him not to go directly.
That's probably going to happen in EP 6

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-09, 12:13   Link #14
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Since someone in the episode thread questioned whether the slave shield could somehow control or manipulate Raphtalia's thoughts or behavior, I checked and thought I'd just note it directly here: there are two levels of slave shield. The first has no ability except to adjust slaves' growth (leveling) rate, and the other has the ability to produce small status effects. Neither places any increase or decrease to the slaves' control or affects their behaviors and thoughts.
Old 2019-02-09, 16:56   Link #15
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

To begin with, it refer to subordinate system in various games.
Just like how Beast Tamer have skill for Animal EXP +20%, or leader unit with skill Marine Unit ATK +100 like that. As I said there, if you have problem with that, why not raise the complaint to game devs. that having such system, promoting violence, crime, racist through tribe-locked skills, capturing extinct rare animal, etc. this works just taking note from that.

Funny that Naofumi get all this glaring thought while other isekai protagonist, example Ainz, can just kill thousand people mercilessly and nothing wrong with that.

Regarding thanks from villager, I think they tried to summarized it with chemist jii-san and the magic shop clerk. We already got the villagers totally supporting him in anime compare to source where some of them still get doubt due to Naofumi keeping distance attitude.

Old 2019-02-11, 17:28   Link #16
Twi

Here are some other changes from the source materials from the first 2 episodes:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2019-02-13, 16:36   Link #17
Twi

Okay, I know that merchant was in the manga for like five panels and it was only later revealed he taught Naofumi how to make gemstones (which was after the deal with the Nue), but was raiding the bandits a thing too in episode 6?
Old 2019-02-13, 17:31   Link #18
RDNexus

The bandits thing, if I'm not remembering wrong, happened, and twice at that
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-13, 18:52   Link #19
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Okay, I know that merchant was in the manga for like five panels and it was only later revealed he taught Naofumi how to make gemstones (which was after the deal with the Nue), but was raiding the bandits a thing too in episode 6?
The bandits were in the novel. The manga originally skipped them, but would later cover the event in a special chapter.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-13, 19:01   Link #20
Twi

Okay. And Raph using Illusion magic too? The manga only had her use a Light Spell from what I remember, but at this point I'm fairly sure it skimmed a lot.