Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2022-06-22, 06:32   Link #81
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
I don't know why they reject the idea of any romance. Tiga, Dyna were kids shows and they had romance. Sure, time has changed, but Kamen rider and super sentai sometimes had romance too (like kamen rider drive XD), and they are the direct competitors of ultraman
Because its not 50 episodes anymore?

I believe Zero being the only Ultraman with popularity coming close to Tiga that is #1 of Japan playing part considering cameo focus on Trigger.
Better safe than sorry seems to be the magic words after Nexus; omitting romance for more alien dynamics seems doing well too looking at times Belial served as villain.

Looking forward to Uesaka Sumire casting impact to future Ultraman. LOL.

Old 2022-06-22, 08:57   Link #82
justavisitor

But Garo also only has 25 episodes...

Anyway I will stop. Obviously for some reason they think it's better to leave the romance element out, which is a shame because it used to be a highlight in ultraman (better safe than sorry is indeed the mojo I see in the new generation ultraman)

Moving on, it's interesting that this time the evil being may not have a human cast/voice (yet). Hope they keep it this way. It's so boring every time the evil being either looks like human or speaks in fluent japanese XD

Uesaka Sumire only appears in one episode, what a waste
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-22, 09:35   Link #83
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Whether Decker will have evil human cast depends on how they will do Fake Dyna and final boss, I guess.
Fake Dyna does have human form aside of its true monster form, meanwhile the final boss doesn't despite hailed as Ultraman replacement by Guts scientist who created it.

Yeah, not only its just for one episode but also its like telling "Perhaps" to Zero fanbase that always wanted Mamoru Miyano doing its human disguise.

Old 2022-06-24, 11:27   Link #84
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

First 10 Minutes of Shin Ultraman:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Classic Anno. The way that Ultra Q kaijus were defeated by what looks like a similar coagulant attack like they did to Shin Godzilla really raise some questions. There's no way that this movie is in Shin-Goji universe, right? I mean, does Anno have that much clout to connect Toho & Tsuburaya's properties together ever since Tsuburaya borrowed some Godzilla kaiju Suits from Toho for the Ultraman show?
Old 2022-06-25, 05:21   Link #85
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
There's no way that this movie is in Shin-Goji universe, right? I mean, does Anno have that much clout to connect Toho & Tsuburaya's properties together ever since Tsuburaya borrowed some Godzilla kaiju Suits from Toho for the Ultraman show?
Looks like it, the project does included tie-ins between films without mentioning how they will do it;

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/hide...065553502.html taken from https://sjhu.jp/

I once saw article (or talk, I forgot) that Japan entertainment industry, tokusatsu ones, surprised with how Marvel heroes easily entered Japan market via Avengers. I can see it contributed to Anno easily convinced them to do so; not just simple trust to someone with experience handling Evangelion.
Old 2022-06-27, 06:03   Link #86
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Spoiler alert (for a certain Ultra character):

YouTube
Old 2022-07-09, 11:23   Link #87
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

YouTube

If Asuka is seinen protagonist, Kanata is shonen protagonist, which is fine.
Now looking it like this, I guess one of reason why Kengo was like that is because they wanted people not questioning where's Daigo.

Sphere already appear in first episode, I guess this means the reworked Dyna enemies from it last arc will have some sort of connection.
Old 2022-07-09, 12:12   Link #88
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Okay, I'll be cautiously optimistic and ignore all the merchandising poses & shouts, but you still need to meet me halfway through with good writing & characters, Decker.
Well, what do you know, they actually answered my hopes. This Decker's premiere easily surpassed Dyna & Trigger's premieres.

We have a solid world & premise + a traditional kindhearted Japanese MC that's not cringy AF like Kengo. In fact, Kanata Asumi reminds me of Kotaro Higashi (Ultraman Taro) when it comes to personality which I always found energetic & infectious.

The visual FX is great as usual (sasuga Tsuburaya). But unlike Trigger, the VFX in this episode was backed by good story & characters so it's much more pleasant to experience. Not even ILM-level of VFX will make me enjoy Trigger and ignore its cringiness. And speaking of VFX, I really hope Toei can keep up with Tsuburaya coz their Rider & Sentai shows still can't keep up with the Ultras. Let's see what Anno can do to boost their FX department.

All in all, I really hope Decker doesn't drop the ball from here on out. It already has such a low bar to jump over (Dyna & Trigger). Once you surpass them, aim higher to be the best of the NexGen Ultra!
Old 2022-07-09, 13:53   Link #89
justavisitor

Yes, it's a lot more normal and less cringy than Trigger....

I like the first half of the episode 1 more. That is, until the hero picks up the machine gun...then he becomes more and more hot headed

The way ultraman appears inside the enemy's cell, I would think Ultraman is the mastermind behind the attack XD

This time the alien has a plan in episode 1!! Unlike the typical sending the weak monster to get destroyed in ep1, they block the sky immediately so nothing can come in and out...Tho I expect they will remain status quo for the next 9 to 10 episodes...please surprise me
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2022-07-09, 15:53   Link #90
Frontier

Time for Ultraman Decker, New Generation Dyna (not that we're going to advertise that this time, since we saw how that ended for Trigger)! Although it's hard to disassociate Decker from Dyna both design-wise and because Sphere is back and more dangerous than ever .

Remember Mars? That piece of Triggers' setting they never really did much with? Well, now it's Sphere fodder. Whoops! Seems like part of the drive of the series will be fighting off Sphere and reaching Mars again. Especially since it's part of Kirino's motivation and Kanata's probably worried about his parents (I'm surprised they're even alive) .

No better fit for an Ultra protagonist than a humble boy who works in the service industry and enjoys helping others while looking to the future. It's even in his name! Also Asuka's name, if you take the first letters of his last and first name together .

I like the Opening. It's not as epic and hype as Pull the Trigger but it feels like your classical, upbeat, Ultra Opening and it's fun to listen to .

It's neat to see the TPU shifting away from fighting monsters and being so militarized in a more peaceful world post-Trigger, shifting focus to space exploration, and the possible issues with slacking back from having an active GUTS-Select team or development on researching monsters. Especially when the Sphere's come a callin'. Also the future vice-captain was involved with monster research so I'm curious to see where they go with that .

I like Murahoshi. He seems like a really coolheaded and chill guy but with a strong resolve and determination that you want in a guy in a command position. I wonder if he has some kind of history with Ultraman though, judging by his reactions. Might just be me .

Kanata and Ichika's first meeting was cute, what with him trying to force some food on her. Maybe don't call a girl "rigid" though, Kanata...

Ryumon feels like the new Akito, being too serious for his own good and starting off on the wrong foot with the Ultra host .

Spheresaurus! Our first Sphere Kaiju! A really cool design, I liked the giant forward arms/legs .

I...really don't want to know what the Sphere do with those people they consume. Although it didn't seem like Kanata was automatically killed before Decker showed up .

Actual guns! Even Kanata grabs a machinegun and starts firing! And it's his guts (heh) and strong sense of self that draws Decker to Kanata. And from space to Earth, a new Ultraman is born .

Asuka gets a pocket knife. Kanata gets a whole giant Ultra head blade. I want to see him and Gai compare cards .

Decker had a pretty spectacular debut, smashing through the smaller Spheres and matching Spheresaurus blow for blow. I love it when an Ultra knocks the horn off of a kaiju. Also, that Ultra Beam was amazingly directed !

Points to Decker for trying to single-handedly defeat the Sphere invasion but maybe not something to do when the timer's started and this is literally the first time you've done this .

Will we see Kanata's grandpa again ?

I love Kanata's enthusiasm. I can imagine Haruki was a lot like him during his training with STORAGE .

So I guess Decker can talk like Trigger, judging by the outro message from Decker .
Old 2022-07-09, 22:07   Link #91
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I...really don't want to know what the Sphere do with those people they consume. Although it didn't seem like Kanata was automatically killed before Decker showed up .

Actual guns! Even Kanata grabs a machinegun and starts firing! And it's his guts (heh) and strong sense of self that draws Decker to Kanata. And from space to Earth, a new Ultraman is born
My favorite moment on this first episode honestly.

Usually this "civilian take weapon" moment trope in Japan media will lead into MC showing off his true strength, sometimes MC turned out to be an unexpected military genius that made the army looks incompetent.

Amazingly, Decker managed to do it naturally.
Previously Kanata expressed dislike to invasion news so it came out as him being gutsy about "Damn you, invaders!" because he saw the opportunity rather than genuine thought to help Murahoshi and others, which is proper extension of his character that we saw before alien attack.

Even better, what follows done in way that raise question. Why Decker inside Sphere? Does Kanata captured meant Sphere is abducting lifeform? How it ties with earth invasion, what's their goal? Enemy being invader with plan since first episode is not what I expected from first episode of an Ultraman, like justavisitor said.

Old 2022-07-10, 03:05   Link #92
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

One thing that I'm worried about though is the lack of original kaijus in this show. So far, this episode and the OP only showed us homage kaijus either from Dyna or Showa. Heck, the kaiju with the winged shoulders in the OP was from Ultraman 80 that had nothing to do with this show IIRC. Also, seriously? Gomora AGAIN?? *sigh*
Old 2022-07-10, 15:20   Link #93
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

LOL I didn't know that Decker's OP is supposed to be a fitness/workout music

YouTube
Old 2022-07-15, 22:54   Link #94
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

YouTube

Yep, so far so good. We get the classic shonen trio (the fiery, the strict, the middleground). We get to see the commander & the robot in action. Plus the vice captain, they all behave relatively like normal people and I'm grateful for that. I also like that I get to see a lot of natural lighting in the forest setting this episode, giving it more natural life look.

I like that Decker does not blabber (so far) like Z & many other NexGen Ultras. Made me nostalgic of the old Showa & Heisei Ultramen. HANE2 no longer a furry mascot is also a welcome. He's a very useful robot instead, with no inherent OTT comedy.

Cons:
  • The toyetic transformation still clash with the serious atmosphere.
  • Recurring/recycled kaiju just keep on coming. Godammit, I want more original kaijus!
  • It's cool that Decker can summon monsters like Ultraseven (again) but this is yet another venue for recycled kaiju to appear which feels really lazy.
Old 2022-07-16, 00:41   Link #95
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

That natural forest moment made me missed Tiga.

I really love how they delivered Murahoshi character.
Previously we got implication something happened in past that made him believe not to expect Ultraman will save the day for every aliens attack.
Now he came with reveal he's former pilot, skilled enough to deal with kaiju, and currently struggling with human resources; man really a formal Kakashi to the shonen trio.

Also 10/10 for actually making gimmick have reason to be used.
Kanata leg injury lead to need of kaiju assistance, the fact it fit with Kanata currently in training, his recklessness and it doesn't harm Decker screentime is great. Enough to made me wonder what happened with Kamen Rider considering Sentai and Ultraman now did better job on telling "Why MC need this gimmick and what to expect from it". LOL.
Old 2022-07-16, 10:08   Link #96
justavisitor

Didn't expect the time skip, but it gives the perfect excuse for the trio to gel better (they still have arguments, but it feels a lot more natural)

Natural forest is nice, and characters are acting more normal. They have a good excuse to use manned aircraft again!!!

I don't mind recycled kaiju...it's not like I remember what they look like very well anyway. Did Decker's helper kaiju appear in Trigger??
Old 2022-07-16, 11:09   Link #97
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I don't mind recycled kaiju...it's not like I remember what they look like very well anyway. Did Decker's helper kaiju appear in Trigger??
It's really boring for kaiju afficionado like me. Ultraman is pretty much the last bastion of rubber-suit kaiju. That's why it's sad when this franchise become more & more creatively bankrupt in making kaiju.

The kaiju that helped Decker in this episode is a very wellknown one named Miclas. It's Ultraseven's OG capsule monster since 1967:
YouTube

Until his death in Ultraseven Heisei:
YouTube

But he appeared again after that, for example in Ultraman Mebius:
YouTube

Miclas presence in this episode is pretty much to shamelessly recycle the sofubi figure only under the "Ultraman Decker"-tag this time 😑:
YouTube
Old 2022-07-16, 20:43   Link #98
justavisitor

I remember Miclas (not the name, until now XD) from Mebius, but to the kaijus that the Decker fought against in ep 1 and 2, I have no clue if I saw them before (probably I did, but I can't remember them at all)

And the reason I am trying to ask whether Miclas showed up in Trigger is that, if Miclas did not show up in Trigger, doesn't it mean that it's not in the Trigger's world? So Decker can travel btw worlds? (Well nowadays most Ultraman can travel between worlds). If Decker can travel between worlds, is it a hint that
Spoiler for spoiler:

But I don't think the staff thinks about it too much ...it's more like a mindlessly toy slotting in kind of move
Old 2022-07-17, 06:54   Link #99
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I remember Miclas (not the name, until now XD) from Mebius, but to the kaijus that the Decker fought against in ep 1 and 2, I have no clue if I saw them before (probably I did, but I can't remember them at all)
Just like Trigger episode 1, Spheresaurus that you see in Decker episode 1 is a fusion between two kaijus that Dyna fought in episode 1 (which continued to episode 2): Darambia + Neo Darambia:

+
= (on steroid)

I don't really mind the above, but episode 2 just straight up brought Deathdrago (Trigger) & Miclas (Ultraseven) again without notable visual touch-ups. And next episode, we'll get Gomora again.
Old 2022-07-23, 00:25   Link #100
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

YouTube

Pretty good. It's amusing that they chose to talk & befriend HANE2 very early on in order to improve their sync rate. That's a very social-minded solution aside from improving the technical aspect of their control. I also like that they kinda addressed the awkward-looking cockpit of GUTS Falcon was due to it originally being a drone .

Nice first mission for our shonen trio. Power type is fiery as expected. Yes, we get Gomora again, but at the very least we get a souped up version too. Still I really want to taste an original kaiju though.

Tags
tokusatsu, ultraman