AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you be interested?
Yes, I'd definitely take part 4 33.33%
Yes, I'd take part if the anime interest's me 5 41.67%
I might try it out for a little while 1 8.33%
No I prefer to watch anime by my own schedule 2 16.67%
No, It's a stupid idea 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-03-22, 21:47   Link #1
deerpoob

Lightbulb Would anyone be interested in an "Anime Book Club"?

So I've looked over recent animes and there's not alot grabbing me, so I thought I might look for a forum somewhere, something I've been meaning to do for a while and try to make a book club type idea.

Basically we would watch an older, but still readily available anime over the course of a few weeks/months depending on its length, in designated chunks, for example;

-lets say we have a 26 episode series, week 1 might be episode 1-7 week 2 is 8-14 week 3 is 15-21 and week 4 is the rest, of course there's nothing stopping you from going ahead if you really want, but the discussion for that week or 2 will be only on the section covered.

Movies are of course an option too, so what do you say? is anyone interested?

I'm thinking something from this list as a starter:

Eureka 7
Baccano
Gurren Lagann

And of course the idea is very open to more choices, these are just ones that are fairly recent, well known and widely available.

Well theres my first post! hopefully I didn't really mess up.
deerpoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 22:46   Link #2
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

While I would disagree that the more recent anime have been uninspired, I prefer watching anime in pairs, rather than solo...So as long as it's a series I haven't watched before, I wouldn't mind watching some anime in groups from time to time. I'm not a picky person, but I have watched a lot of anime, so there wont be a ton of titles to choose from.
Old 2012-03-22, 22:56   Link #3
deerpoob

I'm not saying there uninspired, but I tend to be quite picky with what I try and watch and this season's shows just haven't grabbed me.

As for the actual choice I realize alot of people have probably seen all these shows but maybe not for a few years? plus with this model there is room for very specific discussion on the events of certain episodes, something that doesn't seem to happen for a series except when its brand new.
Old 2012-03-22, 23:12   Link #4
sergel02

i like the idea =)
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 23:15   Link #5
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerpoob View Post
I'm thinking something from this list as a starter:

Eureka 7
Baccano
Gurren Lagann
I'll just mention this to avoid any possible misunderstandings, but if you are planning to start a discussion on a show that already has a thread here, then you must use that thread instead of starting a new one. If you do use the existing threads, then the discussion must remain open for anyone interested and not just for a group of members in particular.

Another option could also be to start a social group.

http://forums.animesuki.com/group.php

If you pick this route, I must ask for you to be careful and don't start mass-sending invitations to people that doesn't know you.
Old 2012-03-22, 23:18   Link #6
deerpoob

I think a group is probably the best option then, of course I wouldn't send out invitations to masses of people, only those that express interest.
Old 2012-03-23, 03:13   Link #7
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerpoob View Post
I'm not saying there uninspired, but I tend to be quite picky with what I try and watch and this season's shows just haven't grabbed me.

As for the actual choice I realize alot of people have probably seen all these shows but maybe not for a few years? plus with this model there is room for very specific discussion on the events of certain episodes, something that doesn't seem to happen for a series except when its brand new.
So you're referring to only excluding this seasons titles? By "older", I thought you were referring to at least a couple years old.
Old 2012-03-23, 20:33   Link #8
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

This sounds like the "rewatch" idea that has already been done in a couple of forums already:

Let's Re-Watch Macross Frontier (TV) Together! (the first one)
SDF Macross Re-Watch 2011
Toradora Re-Watch 2011

Use these threads for inspiration and (like Daniel suggested) use the old threads (or create a social group) for the rewatches, and if you want to rewatch a show that already has a sub-forum, use that forum's thread request thread to request the thread.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 01:54   Link #9
deerpoob

they would just be older series, not necessarily more then a year old, just something people had a hankering to re-watch or want to give a shot after-the-fact.

It is pretty similar to a those rewatch threads, thought it's not for one specific series of course, I think a open group would be an easier option, just posting in another thread where people can post spoilers and stuff for shows some of the people might not have seen doesn't sound as fun.

I've made the group, if you'd like to join I'm pretty sure I made it open so just join up, or send me a pm and I'll invite you, I will make a poll for the first series we'll watch, to which im open for suggestions!
Old 2012-03-24, 10:05   Link #10
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I'm going to suggest Evangelion and add a vote for TTGL.

Also, I think that we shouldn't set a constant pace. It should be more like 1 section per week instead of a constant 7 episodes. For example, I would break CLANNAD up into 1-4, 5-9, 10-14, 15-18, 19-22 to align better with story arcs instead of going with any set number of episodes.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 10:55   Link #11
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I also suggest the members to watch Angel Beats! and Puella Magi Madoka Magica together.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 14:40   Link #12
Ruby Princess

I'm very much interested in this, yes. ^^ There's not many anime fans around where I live, and the few that do exist are mostly just boys and their action shonens. -.- I second Misao-kun's suggestion of Madoka Magica, I loved that show!
Ruby Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 15:08   Link #13
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
How do you guys watch Madoka together? (I have the dubs xD)
Old 2012-03-24, 15:28   Link #14
Ruby Princess

I prefer subs generally, but I'm okay either way. Watching Madoka in English would be an interesting experience.
Ruby Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 20:24   Link #15
deerpoob

If your voting or suggesting a show please post in the group so its all together, as for the espisodes vs arcs I agree it makes sense, if we can make it work woth the arcs of a story well try for that.
Old 2012-03-24, 21:49   Link #16
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well what happens is some on dosent the time to watch this weeks anime
Old 2012-03-24, 21:51   Link #17
deerpoob

well you'll have a week to watch the anime and discuss, one week would be anywhere from 4-12 episodes, so thats only 2-4 hours a week, no doubt most people watch more then that worth of anime regularly and you can always catch up later if you want, discussion for the earlier weeks will stay open if you wanna talk a bit about the stuff earlier in the series even if everyone else is ahead, or if you don't have time of course you don't have to participate if you don't want to or are too busy.
Old 2012-03-25, 22:05   Link #18
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well it wont be hard to watch them but it would be a little hard with all that new anime that keeps coming out. It would be difficult to watch 12 to 26ep in a week when watching 30+ eps in a week now make it a month that on can be pulled off
Old 2012-03-25, 23:51   Link #19
deerpoob

we don't watch 12-26 episodes in a week it would be between 4-12 depending on the length of the series spread over a month.