AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-01-01, 15:56   Link #1
manario

How can I play .mkv files?

Throughout my viewing of certain series I have downloaded certain files with the .mkv extension. These files will play only the sound on VLC. Is there a certain media player that will play the ep. with sound and video or can I fix VLC to do this?

Thanks
Old 2006-01-01, 16:22   Link #2
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Try updating VLC to a newer version. However, VLC is known to fail on certain types of audio (i.e. DTS) and it is, IMHO, a rather ugly player. I'd suggest trying the CCCP or Anime-Suki's playback guide instead.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-01-01, 16:26   Link #3
Ledgem
Love Yourself

The problem isn't the fact that the file is a .mkv, but the codec that the file was encoded with.

Since you're using VLC, make sure that you have the latest version installed. VLC uses its own internal libraries from what I understand, and hence there's no external codec or splitter that you can install that will alter its performance.

Do you have this problem with all .mkv files, or only a few? Do you know what codec they were encoded with (XviD, H.264)? I don't know that VLC's support for h.264 is complete yet, so I suspect that may be the issue. However, if you're having problems with all .mkv files, and not just .mkv files with h.264-encoded video, then the issue would be something else.
Old 2006-01-13, 04:20   Link #4
LunaBlack

I know you might get this a lot....

I am new to these forums and also to this site. I do not have that much experience with torrents. How ever, I have read and read and read, installed, uninstalled, installed, uninstalled codecs, programs, files, almost everything that I can find to play these .mkv files, but I just can't.

I'ce downloaded the mastroska files, the anime playback components, CCCPV, I've tried using Windows Media player, BSplayer, but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone please help me play these mkv files?

Honestly, all help would be very appreciated.
Luna.
Old 2006-01-13, 04:38   Link #5
SSS
Suki Suki Sia-chan ^Q^

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaBlack
I am new to these forums and also to this site. I do not have that much experience with torrents. How ever, I have read and read and read, installed, uninstalled, installed, uninstalled codecs, programs, files, almost everything that I can find to play these .mkv files, but I just can't.

I'ce downloaded the mastroska files, the anime playback components, CCCPV, I've tried using Windows Media player, BSplayer, but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone please help me play these mkv files?

Honestly, all help would be very appreciated.
Luna.
You should atleast post what (error)message you got when you try to play mkv files with those media player...
otherwise we cant help you to troubleshoot the problems.
Old 2006-01-13, 04:50   Link #6
LunaBlack

Quite obvious, isn't it? XD I'm sorry, my brain does not work properly after an hour of pure fustration.

When I try to open it on Windows Media file, I get, first of all, that the extension is not recognized. Afterwards, I get: First Element is not EBML. When I tried to play it on on BSplayer, it only tells me that the program cannot open the file.
When I downloaded the mastroska files and other files, I always get directed to WIndows Media player.
I tried using VCL (or something like that) since I read that this player was capable of recognizing this extension, but it never loaded the file. It didn't give me an error message, but it seemed it didn't even made an effor tot play it.
Right now, that's the important, basic stuff I can remember. I've deleted everything I don't normally use (like this VCL player and BSPlayer).

I hope that helps ^^U
Old 2006-01-13, 05:46   Link #7
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/MatroskaSplitter.exe
http://cutka.szm.sk/files/ffdshow-20051129.exe
Old 2006-01-13, 05:54   Link #8
SSS
Suki Suki Sia-chan ^Q^

1. Dont use Windows media player, try media player classic,
grab it from here.
2. The newer version of haali media splitter or vlc will mess up file extension.(haali media splitter will associate .mkv file extension with windows media player... , vlc will mess up most of the media file extensions...)
so you will always get directed to wmp when playing matroska files.
3. "First Element is not EBML", this error message is from haali media splitter, it means the mkv file may be corrupted, or it isnt mkv file.
4. Last. try play the mkv file with mplayer
http://ffdshow.faireal.net/mirror/mplayer/
, it can play even corrupted or headerless media files.
Old 2006-01-13, 08:13   Link #9
LunaBlack

Unless I did something wrong (which is assume is the most likely thing), ffdshow did not work in my PC. And the mastroska splitter... I don't recall using it, so I'll give it a try, thanks very much for that suggestion!

Now, the reason I did not download the media player classic, is because I am not familiar with the extension .7z, so I have no idea with what program to open it with.
As for the file being curropted, it might be, I really don't know. I downloaded it from here, too. (If it helps out, its the Mars taiwanese live action).

I will also try this last option you gave me, so I will post my results soon, hehe.

Thanks SO MUCH for your help!
Old 2006-01-13, 08:57   Link #10
SSS
Suki Suki Sia-chan ^Q^

Google is your friend
http://www.7-zip.org/

the reson to use media player classic is,
1. it will output some info about your audio/video file why it doesnt start playing.
2. smaller size(installer, 2mb) compare to wmp9/10 10mb.
3. ect ect ... anyway its better wmp

Why ffdshow didnt work with your pc?
Old 2006-01-13, 09:09   Link #11
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Wait, wait, wait. "First element of file isn't EBML" means that the entire structure of the MKV file is damaged, and it won't play in anything no matter what you try. Redownload it.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-01-13, 16:30   Link #12
LunaBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff
Wait, wait, wait. "First element of file isn't EBML" means that the entire structure of the MKV file is damaged, and it won't play in anything no matter what you try. Redownload it.

NNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!! T_T
Argh. Ok, I'll download it again.

about the ffdshow:
I tried using the anime playback components and one of them was this file, but after it wouldn't play, but, then again, it was redirecting me to windows media player.....
Old 2007-06-09, 01:41   Link #13
YondBe

Hi

I had the very same problem (1rst element in file is not EBML)
I noticed the file wasn't damaged at all because when I closed this warning message, the file started playing right as it should (The KMPlayer rules ^^ )

A little search with google and I found out this was because the HAALI splitter installed on my comp wasn't the latest version
There has been recent changes in the structure of the files because of HD encoding, that's why only the very latest HAALI is compatible

You can get it from here (official website): http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/

It fixed the problem

Last edited by YondBe; 2007-06-09 at 01:57.
Old 2007-06-09, 03:32   Link #14
emptyeighty

Can you please point out what _exactly_ was changed in Haali - i don't see anything recent about ebml in the changelog - and which file this happened on?
Old 2007-06-09, 04:35   Link #15
YondBe

no clue, sorry
all I know is that the latest HAALI does not show the warning message and plays the file right... (the very same file that had this error message before. no other changes have been made so it can only come from that)
Old 2007-06-09, 04:52   Link #16
Navel

The latest Haali has "error message display" disabled by default. It was enabled by default previously. That doesn't change the fact the file is broken.
Old 2007-06-09, 06:21   Link #17
YondBe

the file isn't broken: it plays just fine (and already played fine before only I first had to click "ok" in the error message window)

fact is I had this error message, I installed the latest HAALI and I don't have any errors anymore (the file is a .mkv, H264)

a few feedbacks from the previous HAALI version from another forums:
Quote:
- Haali filter is nice but it has the following inconvenience
* Slow with TS streams, in fact a TS file may stutter like hell with Haali filter and can play almost smoothly once remuxed into a mkv file with the very same Haali filter !
* lack of support of He-AAC (streamId x11), same problem with HDTVPump
* It doesn't like unproperly aligned TS packet at the beginning of a file, that is if the first byte is not an x47 (signature of a TS stream) the file type won't be recognized and we will get the not very meaningful error message "first Element of file is not EBML". Cyberlink splitter is not bothered with improperly aligned TS packets.
so the problem is that the encoder didn't put the first elements in a proper way but these elements are just meant to let the player/filters know what they're dealing with
putting these elements in the proper way or not does not change the fact that the entire file is still totally complete, well encoded and perfectly playable: it only changes the fact that some filters will display an error message because they don't find what they expect where they expect it in the header of the file

Last edited by YondBe; 2007-06-09 at 12:33.
Old 2007-06-09, 07:26   Link #18
emptyeighty

For ts this it is imaginable that some bytes are out of order if one or the other muxer is used. For mkv only one muxer is in wide use though, so every file should be muxed to spec. Could you paste a tools -> media info using this tool of the mkv in question?
Old 2007-06-09, 12:19   Link #19
YondBe

sure
here is the log:
Quote:
Media Information of: G:\Anime\VostFr\###\###\###_[H264-AAC]_-_01.mkv

General:
Filename: ###_[H264-AAC]_-_01.mkv
Filesize: 170 MiB
Format: Matroska
PlayTime: 00:25:04.999
Application: mkvmerge v2.0.2 ('You're My Flame') built on Feb 21 2007 23:40:55
Application: libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
1 video stream(s), 1 audio stream(s), 1 subtitle stream(s).

Video Stream 0:
Length: 00:25:04.960
Frames: 37624, 25.000 fps,
Codec: V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC (Family: )
Dimensions: 480x352, AR: 4/3

Audio Stream 0:
Language: French
Codec: A_AAC, A_AAC,
Sampling Rate: 48 KHz
Channel(s): 2 channel

Subtitle Stream 0:
Language: French
Codec: S_VOBSUB, The same subtitle format used on DVDs

one thing is strange: I have several files exactly like this one (same series, encoded the same way by the same guy) and only one had this "error"
All other files already played fine before I installed the latest HAALI

By the way, I've read that CORE Splitter seems to work a whole lot better than HAALI
I don't have problems with HAALI so I won't change right now, but I will on my next codecs update

Last edited by YondBe; 2007-06-09 at 12:36.
Old 2007-06-09, 20:50   Link #20
Nicholi
King of Hosers

CORE splitter? What and where do you get that?

There are only two MKV splitters for DirectShow afaik. One is Haali's, the other is ancient Gabest's (nothing to do with the Core* group). Haali however usually has his splitter (with the exact same name) packaged with CoreAVC. So unless there is some magically new splitter the Core team had to make (which makes no sense whatsoever since they work closely with Haali)...I think you are off your rocker.

It doesn't look like you can actually verify if that file is CRC correct or not...so the problem most likely stands, it is b0rked. You get the EBML errors with incomplete/corrupted MKV files. Thats just what the problem is.