AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > High School DxD [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2023-08-11, 06:30   Link #1021
Lucidrago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuanwu View Post
And I mean, Issei being a Maou and also engaging in diplomacy with the other mythologies would explain why he's so busy as an adult.

But thinking about it, wasn't it said that some of the other Maou (Falbium and Ajuka) used to delegate part of their duties to others?
Wouldn't Leviathan largely be in charge of foreign affairs though?

And I'm pretty positive that delegating responsibilities of their roles as Maou is part of the natural process. But at the same time Falbium and Ajuka were perfectly suited for the main responsibilities of their specific Maou positions. While the way they were talking about Issei becoming Asmodeus would make him sound like an absolute figurehead rather than an actual Maou.

He could be just as busy as a member of ExE.
L
Lucidrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-11, 10:51   Link #1022
Dareal_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidrago View Post
Wouldn't Leviathan largely be in charge of foreign affairs though?

And I'm pretty positive that delegating responsibilities of their roles as Maou is part of the natural process. But at the same time Falbium and Ajuka were perfectly suited for the main responsibilities of their specific Maou positions. While the way they were talking about Issei becoming Asmodeus would make him sound like an absolute figurehead rather than an actual Maou.

He could be just as busy as a member of ExE.
L

So what do you actually want him to be with all the political power he's got? Just continue being a Dxd/ ExE member? Why is it hard for him to develop him more all these years reading back on Shin 4 and Shin in general it gets worst and worst for this dude's character development, why bring politics into the story but don't add the Mc into it

Last edited by Dareal_truth; 2023-08-11 at 17:42.
Dareal_truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-11, 18:32   Link #1023
Lucidrago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dareal_truth View Post
So what do you actually want him to be with all the political power he's got? Just continue being a Dxd/ ExE member? Why is it hard for him to develop him more all these years reading back on Shin 4 and Shin in general it gets worst and worst for this dude's character development, why bring politics into the story but don't add the Mc into it
Just have him become a central member of ExE where he travels around the world to the different supernatural factions doing various things like meeting with the various leaders, giving speeches, etc. But in truth all that is just a cover for his job as an agent of ExE looking for possible leads and clues about anyone who might be planning to be a direct threat to the world. So he goes around acting as a sort of deterrent to those with ulterior motives.

As a Maou, his focus would pretty much be limited to the Underworld and it's concern which seems very lifted for someone of Issei's standing across all factions and also the various races and factions his future wives represent. Just seems way too limiting and restrictive like most positions of authority and power are.

And him being any Maou except Lucifer be pointless as he would be somewhat under Lucifer if he became any Maou other than that.

I would prefer they create a new Maou which would be the 8th named Satan but it wouldn't be a Maou position but rather an honorary title bestowed on one devil whose actions and deeds have far surpasses any other devils and would be considered a devil to surpass all devils. Plus I would prefer him to get something that Vali wouldn't get also. Because nothing against Vali but he's just along for the ride and hasn't earned what Issei has. 'Satan' could be seen as the unofficial 8th Maou and could easily have influence that matches of even surpasses them.
Old 2023-08-11, 23:56   Link #1024
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
As a Maou, his focus would pretty much be limited to the Underworld and it's concern which seems very lifted for someone of Issei's standing across all factions and also the various races and factions his future wives represent. Just seems way too limiting and restrictive like most positions of authority and power are.
No matter how famous Issei becomes, he's still a devil, so his area of political influence starts and ends there.

Even if he does ExE, in the end he'd still be working under higher ups, while as a Maou he'll have more restrictions but his ability to create lasting change beyond beating people up will increase.

The funny thing is that it's exactly because Issei is so famous everywhere that they have to make him a Maou. It's just like Zeoticus said happened to Sirzechs; there's simply no other post that would suit him.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-14, 17:58   Link #1025
Lucidrago

Quote:
Ok so who would lead ExE then? I guess I'm kinda getting wym by him being a maou

Him being one that's pre-determined vs him being one free willingly. I just want him to be a leader
I just want Issei to have his own goals without someone deciding what his goals should be or without him just having the same goal as someone else like becoming a Maou which is Sairaorg's goal and perfectly reflects his background..

The problem with Issei is that he has a very thin character and really no background to speak of. He has no unique childhood, no unique circumstances of birth, etc. His main MO was him being a pervert who loves breast who wanted a harem.

Now the whole thing with him being lost in the wilderness after achieving his goal could easily make a good plot point and a good transformation for Issei's character if Ishibumi could just write beyond the volume he's writing at the time and actually followed up on a lot of the plot points he introduced rather than just having them be relevant for a volume or two then forgetting completely about them.

Really DxD is one of those series that has a lot of potential but the writer just isn't good enough. Very few writers could handle a series with such a big world and so many plots. Ishibuni's not a bad writer as we've seen with Slash Dog which is way better done than DxD because it has a very limited world and the focus is very clear in the series and Ishibumi is playing to his strengths in that series especially as a former horror writer.
Old 2023-08-15, 15:02   Link #1026
Dareal_truth

Quote:
I just want Issei to have his own goals without someone deciding what his goals should be or without him just having the same goal as someone else like becoming a Maou which is Sairaorg's goal and perfectly reflects his background..

The problem with Issei is that he has a very thin character and really no background to speak of. He has no unique childhood, no unique circumstances of birth, etc. His main MO was him being a pervert who loves breast who wanted a harem.

Now the whole thing with him being lost in the wilderness after achieving his goal could easily make a good plot point and a good transformation for Issei's character if Ishibumi could just write beyond the volume he's writing at the time and actually followed up on a lot of the plot points he introduced rather than just having them be relevant for a volume or two then forgetting completely about them.

Really DxD is one of those series that has a lot of potential but the writer just isn't good enough. Very few writers could handle a series with such a big world and so many plots. Ishibuni's not a bad writer as we've seen with Slash Dog which is way better done than DxD because it has a very limited world and the focus is very clear in the series and Ishibumi is playing to his strengths in that series especially as a former horror writer.

So what's the main focus difference with SD and dxd? tbh he doesn't really need a dept background to grow as a character he just lacks execution. He has a Longinus that’s tied to the supernatural world at large he has the rivals but ish doesn't use them right he the potential folis but it's never set up correctly
About SD I know it has the harem subplot but what's the difference between how it's set up compared to Dxd? Anyway back to something more mundane how would you want next vol to go?
Old 2023-08-15, 18:24   Link #1027
Lucidrago

Quote:
So what's the main focus difference with SD and dxd? tbh he doesn't really need a dept background to grow as a character he just lacks execution. He has a Longinus that’s tied to the supernatural world at large he has the rivals but ish doesn't use them right he the potential folis but it's never set up correctly
About SD I know it has the harem subplot but what's the difference between how it's set up compared to Dxd? Anyway back to something more mundane how would you want next vol to go?
True. He doesn't need a deep background to grow as a character but needs some type of background to have some of the more serious plot points in DxD to be relevant like Tobio's grandmother being a former a former member of the Himejima clan. The whole thing with discrimination against devils not of pure birth doesn't even affect Issei as the only devils seen that actually seemed to care so much about that were Riser and Diodora and do I really need to explain why they were bad examples? He pretty much got engaged to Rias' and regardless of all the nameless naysayers they can do nothing about that since it's the Gremory family's decision. He became a high-class devil in less than a year which is rather extraordinary. And he is now a Special-class devil and only one person in the Underworld has a rank/title that surpasses that and it's Ajuka Beelzebub.

When Ishibumi decided to make the series way more serious starting I'ma the fourth arc, he took away the main thing that made Issue unique SMH the series interesting which was Issei powering up through breasts. While still wanting to keep the series comedic and light-hearted but to be honest it just fell flat. And once Issei became so overpowered he really didn't need them anymore and the series lacked any real stakes starting in Shin, the series just lost what originally made it special and it was only left with its flaws which were there since the beginning but are even more obvious now because of the lack of focus in the series now.

I actually liked Volume 24 besides the Rias vs Vali Rating Game because it was a return back to what originally made the volume so good with a legitimate strong opponent and some real actual stakes and Issei being the actual underdog. And getting a ridiculous power-up at the last second through the power of breasts allowing him to defeat Thanatos. But then again I have a bit of a bias towards badass scythe wielders.

Issei isn't really the only character that has remained mostly static and unchanging. Pretty much all the main cast has. Sure they've gotten stronger and matured a bit but that just naturally comes with the territory. Almost none of their interactions have changed with each other besides how some of the girls address Issei now. Issei is still the same reactive protagonist who takes no initiatives with his harem despite proposing to almost all of them. Almost everyone is just a caricature of their former selfs and the only thing about them we can look forward to is their next power-up.
Old 2023-08-15, 18:45   Link #1028
Dareal_truth

Quote:
True. He doesn't need a deep background to grow as a character but needs some type of background to have some of the more serious plot points in DxD to be relevant like Tobio's grandmother being a former a former member of the Himejima clan. The whole thing with discrimination against devils not of pure birth doesn't even affect Issei as the only devils seen that actually seemed to care so much about that were Riser and Diodora and do I really need to explain why they were bad examples? He pretty much got engaged to Rias' and regardless of all the nameless naysayers they can do nothing about that since it's the Gremory family's decision. He became a high-class devil in less than a year which is rather extraordinary. And he is now a Special-class devil and only one person in the Underworld has a rank/title that surpasses that and it's Ajuka Beelzebub.

When Ishibumi decided to make the series way more serious starting I'ma the fourth arc, he took away the main thing that made Issue unique SMH the series interesting which was Issei powering up through breasts. While still wanting to keep the series comedic and light-hearted but to be honest it just fell flat. And once Issei became so overpowered he really didn't need them anymore and the series lacked any real stakes starting in Shin, the series just lost what originally made it special and it was only left with its flaws which were there since the beginning but are even more obvious now because of the lack of focus in the series now.

I actually liked Volume 24 besides the Rias vs Vali Rating Game because it was a return back to what originally made the volume so good with a legitimate strong opponent and some real actual stakes and Issei being the actual underdog. And getting a ridiculous power-up at the last second through the power of breasts allowing him to defeat Thanatos. But then again I have a bit of a bias towards badass scythe wielders.

Issei isn't really the only character that has remained mostly static and unchanging. Pretty much all the main cast has. Sure they've gotten stronger and matured a bit but that just naturally comes with the territory. Almost none of their interactions have changed with each other besides how some of the girls address Issei now. Issei is still the same reactive protagonist who takes no initiatives with his harem despite proposing to almost all of them. Almost everyone is just a caricature of their former selfs and the only thing about them we can look forward to is their next power-up.
Again the background at large is the supernatural world. You could make him engage in different aspects of the world to grow and the atrocious pacing of the Series became a decline because it’s a symptoms of plot moving too fast -/- characters doesn’t develop fast enough going on 2 years compared to characters who been in the series

Aight you said you’re diligence pretty sure anything else I say would generate the same response dam Dxd is a dead community but again back to what I said he lacked the execution stem from the lack of world building/ foli and the whole tit thing ruined it all because it’s tied to ExE which is ish obsession. He had other ideas such as Indra war and Malebranche that would’ve spark character development for a lot of folks but can’t blame the guy lack of passion + sickness comes with spiral creativity decline he said this many times on his blog it’s bound to ruined the story moving forward and wasted SS I genuinely believe Dxd could’ve been the greatest thing ever made, maybe upcoming vol other characters would have new goals same thing with issei. He lacked true defeats so who knows what will happen knowing Dxd going downhill. Anyways what you’ll like to see from shin 5?

Last edited by Dareal_truth; 2023-08-15 at 20:59.
Old 2023-08-16, 04:23   Link #1029
Hyodou True DXD
Hyodou True DXD .

Quote:
Really DxD is one of those series that has a lot of potential but the writer just isn't good enough.
@ Lucidrago I understand what you mean, something like is happened with romantic series of he 80's called Kimagure Orange Road.

The author of story Izumi Matsumoto instead of focusing more on the development of the main character Kasuga Kyousuke has wasted the story by introducing some ugly secondary characters that were used just creating ridiculous situations for slow down the plot.

Spoiler for spoiler:

Kimagure Orange Road for me is one is a good example of a very good that story that end up by unable to reach its full potential cause its own author.

Quote:
Very few writers could handle a series with such a big world and so many plots.
Agree, Ishibumi really has put himself on the corner with his own big work.

Quote:
Anyways what you’ll like to see from shin 5?
I would like a ecchi-harem scene at the beginning in which Ravel start to show more desire to be involved and even a little frustration.

I would like maybe see Issei and his parents be invited by Ravel's parents for a dinner in their castle so that the two families get to know each other well before a possible wedding between Issei and Ravel.

In this way we could finally see Issei and Lord Phenex interacting between them and maybe the other unnamed yet brother of Ravel would be introduced.

I would like see the all of 3 big brothers of Ravel discussing with Issei about the match he would have with Diehauser cause the psychological weight that could have on Ravel given what happened with Diehauser in the past.
Hyodou True DXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-16, 09:11   Link #1030
Xuanwu

It's impossible to handle a setting as expansive as DxD without several spinoffs. And even settings like Fate/Nasuverse with many different writers and expansive worldview still has loose plotlines and disgruntled fans as a result. It's not easy as it might seem from our POV as readers.

Perhaps Ishibumi should just have focused on the Underworld with Issei's story, Five Principal Clans with Slash Dog, then separate spinoffs for Heaven/Vatican and other factions. Right now, the novel feels congested but introducing ExE and FxF was still a mistake on Ishibumi's part imo.
Xuanwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-16, 10:13   Link #1031
Hyodou True DXD
Hyodou True DXD .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuanwu View Post
Right now, the novel feels congested but introducing ExE and FxF was still a mistake on Ishibumi's part imo.
There is also the Malebranche, Nebiros and the Mitsuya's faction among the things he have to handle.
Old 2023-08-16, 12:33   Link #1032
Dareal_truth

Writing himself into a coma
Old 2023-08-16, 15:27   Link #1033
Xuanwu

Quote:
Writing himself into a coma
I know you mean writing himself into a corner but this made me chuckle
Old 2023-10-14, 09:40   Link #1034
AP24

There’s going to be “Junior High School DxD”. Don’t know if this is just one volume or more.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-14, 12:30   Link #1035
Dareal_truth

Probably be a long one shot
Old 2023-12-02, 09:42   Link #1036
Xuanwu

It sounds like a multi volume spinoff to me, probably at least five volumes if it gets past volume 1.
Old 2023-12-04, 09:26   Link #1037
Hyodou True DXD
Hyodou True DXD .

It wouldn't be better that we talk about this Spin-Off in the Discussion of Others Topics's thread or that it got a discussion thread completely dedicated to it?

I have make the Discussion Thread for Junior Highschool DXD if someone is interested: https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=159717

For remain more in the Topic of this thread what are your ideas about the Malebranche? You think that Ishibumi would allow to the each of the Malebranche have a particular personality and unique abilities or they wouldn't be so much differents from each other?

Last edited by Hyodou True DXD; 2023-12-05 at 05:29.