Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2022-11-30, 16:58   Link #21
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
Is there substantial evidence to suggest this is the case (i.e. a majority of the viewers for Yuru Camp are of the stereotypical otaku demographic)? I presented my counterarguments because singleness is an invalid criticism and was a design choice to facilitate the story. I would hope that we're not actually saying the characters being single actually impacts the film.
Your argument was reasonable, but at the same time, Kanon's interpretation is entirely possible. When I was writing for You Can't Do That On Television in the 80s, I was very specifically told not to give the most popular characters a romantic interest, or if I did, to keep the romantic interest unnamed and offscreen. The reason I was given was because that way, the fans could imagine themselves in the role of the unnamed offscreen romantic interest.

Of course, I have no evidence either way in this specific case. But either one, or some combination of the two, is a viable option.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-30, 17:48   Link #22
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

At the end of the day, it could go either way, and that's fine. That being said, the notion that keeping everyone single would detract from the film's quality is debatable.

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2022-11-30 at 18:38. Reason: Grammar
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-30, 19:41   Link #23
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
the notion that keeping everyone single would detract from the film's quality is debatable.
Not the film's quality. Its marketability, which is an entirely different thing.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-30, 19:57   Link #24
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

The perspective I'm arguing against is speaking to quality, not marketability. I'm not debating the latter here (because it's been well-established, and something I understand the different sides to), but rather, the former.
Old 2022-12-01, 08:38   Link #25
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It doesn't hurt the movie's quality, but it does stretch disbelief that none of the five had a partner. And again, it's really obvious why they chose to do with that. There would have been an outrage among fans if one of them got a boyfriend. That's just how it works with those kind of shows in Japan.

The Yama girls will never get boyfriends either. Neither will the GochiUsa girls. I could go on. The only exception to this rule I've seen among the many iyashikei shows I've watched is Aria.
Old 2022-12-01, 10:31   Link #26
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
...but it does stretch disbelief that none of the five had a partner.
No, it doesn't. Around half of the women over the age of 20 report that they're single in Japan, citing a desire for individual liberty and a chance to focus on their careers as the reason why. Further to this, there are proportionally more single people in Japan than North America or the UK. Given these statistics, there's nothing about this that screams unrealistic or implausible by any stretch.
Old 2022-12-03, 21:03   Link #27
traviskeshav

Just finished watching it on Crunchyroll. It has been hard to get into watching anime recently, but this was enjoyable or at least interesting. I can't think of another case where a slice-of-life has done a sort of continuation significantly in the future, but I like creative things like this.
traviskeshav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-08, 13:07   Link #28
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
It's nice that the stats help out. Especially since it was definitely and totally done in the movie based on statistical evidence . Nothing wrong with embracing the reality that they didn't have the nerve to actually have any of them involved with anyone. Not that I don't get why they'd go that route. Playing it safe and leaving all possibilities endlessly open will keep from upsetting large parts of an established franchise that they clearly need to be interested to make money. Especially when it comes to a movie like this.

The statistical analysis is nice, but ultimately pointless. It's fine to criticize something you like instead of trying to defend a silly narrative decision. Even fine to decide that it doesn't matter to you. But pretending it was done for realism or based on statistical analysis is just being silly. It's obvious why they ended up doing that. It's not the biggest issue in the world or the biggest flaw of the movie. But it's there and I'll certainly criticize them to a degree for that choice. A small but good opportunity squandered because they just didn't want to take chances.
Old 2022-12-30, 10:11   Link #29
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Nice movie. Nice story. However, I'm not sure how I feel about seeing them as adults, yet they hardly seem to have changed.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-30, 19:30   Link #30
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Nice movie. Nice story. However, I'm not sure how I feel about seeing them as adults, yet they hardly seem to have changed.
Physically or mentally? Aoi seemed to have matured a lot. Barely even told any lies.
Old 2022-12-31, 20:57   Link #31
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

People don't change that much in their 20s, although they like to think they have. Around 30 is when they really do.
Old 2023-01-01, 09:01   Link #32
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Physically or mentally? Aoi seemed to have matured a lot. Barely even told any lies.
True, but that's pretty much it. Chiaki's taken up drinking, but it hardly seems to make a difference.

I mean, on one hand, it's nice to see that they're still very much themselves. On the other... I don't know.
Old 2023-01-01, 10:39   Link #33
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
I mean, on one hand, it's nice to see that they're still very much themselves. On the other... I don't know.
The newer gen of anime fans and change don't mix. Also conflicts with the notion of cozy and anime's angle on escapism. I do want it but it's something that many have an aversion to. Their problem, reality can grind them into the ground in time.
Old 2023-01-04, 19:57   Link #34
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
It's nice that the stats help out. Especially since it was definitely and totally done in the movie based on statistical evidence . Nothing wrong with embracing the reality that they didn't have the nerve to actually have any of them involved with anyone. Not that I don't get why they'd go that route. Playing it safe and leaving all possibilities endlessly open will keep from upsetting large parts of an established franchise that they clearly need to be interested to make money. Especially when it comes to a movie like this.

The statistical analysis is nice, but ultimately pointless. It's fine to criticize something you like instead of trying to defend a silly narrative decision. Even fine to decide that it doesn't matter to you. But pretending it was done for realism or based on statistical analysis is just being silly. It's obvious why they ended up doing that. It's not the biggest issue in the world or the biggest flaw of the movie. But it's there and I'll certainly criticize them to a degree for that choice. A small but good opportunity squandered because they just didn't want to take chances.
You're misconstruing things. I'm saying that everyone being single is not a valid criticism of the film because it has no impact on the outcomes of the story. If it contradicts your worldview or experiences, then indicate this is the case. In the absence of that, what's "silly' is you coming in here and dismissing the evidence in favour of your emotions. If your perspective is as valid as you claim it is, back it up. It's extremely poor form to call my arguments "silly" when you haven't even lifted a finger to provide a legitimate counterargument: it certainly does very little to convince me you have a point worth considering. Since you seem unable to provide anything substantial, the obvious conclusion is that you have nothing of note to add in this area, and therefore, your criticisms are petty, lacking merit.

I'll therefore flip things around to see if I can gain a modicum of insight into thinngs: what could have the film done had the characters been in a relationship? How would that tangibly add to the narrative or strengthen the films?

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2023-03-14 at 09:33.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-04, 23:11   Link #35
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Seriously? We're feuding over whether people should/shouldn't be in a relationship?

Why the actual hell does that mean much of anything, if anything at all? I get that some cultures heavily believe in that or family being the most important things, but come on...And why is it your business if they are or aren't?

Being in a relationship doesn't just magically fix things or make one better. Anime would sure love you to believe that, though. If anything, it makes things far more complicated and trying. Not always a bad thing, though. People can make each other better if they both put in the effort. Which rarely happens in reality though.

And let's be honest. The 996 work culture within Asia is incredibly harsh. This is not something where a relationship would be healthy or have enough time to participate in. That is one of Japan's biggest issues. Quality of living, infrastructure, income are good but the working culture of people being valued for time in a company and for other very outdated practices towards people not in a company as long and/or females is absurd. Or the 'participate in the after-work drinking clique or else' pressure.

If a person doesn't feel much of anything being single, then why would they be ready for a relationship? Heck, most people are definitely not capable of properly being in a relationship in their 20s. If anything, that's the time in your life where you think you know everything then come crashing back to earth and realise you don't. No friend/colleague/family of mine has avoided regretting their 20s. There's nothing wrong with youthful optimism or exuberance, but there's certain maturations on multiple levels that need to occur. Particularly within a cause vs system balance, work-life balance, dealing with people appropriately, having a healthy relationship, knowing your limits with social media.

And yes, let's be frank - some otaku get tribal when their waifu is no longer single. But if you're expecting anyone to take a risk on that front in one of the most narrow eras of anime where almost everything is shounen, isekai or soft as a feather romcom/slice of life, good luck with that.

In short - let them be.
Old 2024-04-09, 02:43   Link #36
Alchemist007
*Author

This came out 2y ago, I watched it to prep for s3...but I didn't realize it would be a flash foward to when they're all adults, while s3 looks to still be in the school time period. It was still a great concept and execution, pretty cool that they were able to do this independent of the manga material.

9/10
Old 2024-04-09, 11:35   Link #37
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Seriously? We're feuding over whether people should/shouldn't be in a relationship?
I'd forgotten this thread reached this point. The problem hadn't been whether or not the characters were still single, it was FlareKnight insisting he was right but, at the same time, failing to produce any meaningful counterargument beyond "producers were scared otaku would boycott the movie" and ignoring the arguments I presented.

There's an interview in official guidebook to the movie that clarifies things. The director wanted to deal with the topic of what it meant to be an adult, and because there is a sort of maturity associated with people who are coupled, they felt that it would be better to leave the characters single so that the topic could be explored convincingly: seeing Nadeshiko and others with a partner would give us viewers the feeling that the characters have gotten a pretty strong sense of what they want from life. If it doesn't align with the world views some hold, that's acceptable, but not when one acts dismissive to the possibility that the producers had a solid reason for going down the route they did beyond what what one's assumptions were.
Old 2024-04-09, 17:14   Link #38
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I'd forgotten this thread reached this point. The problem hadn't been whether or not the characters were still single, it was FlareKnight insisting he was right but, at the same time, failing to produce any meaningful counterargument beyond "producers were scared otaku would boycott the movie" and ignoring the arguments I presented.

There's an interview in official guidebook to the movie that clarifies things. The director wanted to deal with the topic of what it meant to be an adult, and because there is a sort of maturity associated with people who are coupled, they felt that it would be better to leave the characters single so that the topic could be explored convincingly: seeing Nadeshiko and others with a partner would give us viewers the feeling that the characters have gotten a pretty strong sense of what they want from life. If it doesn't align with the world views some hold, that's acceptable, but not when one acts dismissive to the possibility that the producers had a solid reason for going down the route they did beyond what what one's assumptions were.
They wanted to show what it means to be an adult, so it kept the characters single, which they equate with not being an adult? That doesn't sound very convincing.
Old 2024-04-09, 17:17   Link #39
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
They wanted to show what it means to be an adult, so it kept the characters single, which they equate with not being an adult? That doesn't sound very convincing.
Wrong. They want to show a group of nascent adults trying to figure things out. To most people, couples look like they have things already figured out, which would take away from the message. Having everyone single also gives the story more time to focus on the campsite building; if the characters weren't single, there'd be a need to show things like families, and the characters wouldn't have the same freedom to work on putting a new campsite together.

Tags
anime movie, camping, laid-back camp, yuru camp