AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2009-05-13, 02:58   Link #21
Koopen

There is a lenghty article on anime news network about the localization.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-x-button/2009-05-13

Is pretty interesting.
Koopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 06:36   Link #22
Oppius
Banned

When after Sakura Wars cult was already over in Japan...That is the longest delay ever to make it way outside Japan.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 10:39   Link #23
Mauru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex_Yohko View Post
When after Sakura Wars cult was already over in Japan...That is the longest delay ever to make it way outside Japan.
The cult is far from over, didn't you see the poll in famitsu that came out a few days ago. Sakura Taisen came first in the most wanted sequels.

http://www.destructoid.com/famitsu-l...y-130852.phtml

Also in famitsu top 100 games of all time Sakura Taisen placed 13.

This shows there is still a strong fanbase in Japan not to mention the bodukan show was full even so is a big stage.

Not to mention a live show took place just recently and last year Sakura Taisen DS was released.
Mauru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 12:10   Link #24
KiryuuKazumanosuke

I hope this does well; Sakura Taisen V had really high production values and a good story. Provided they don't botch the localization ala Ar Tonelico 2, it should do really well.
My one concern is the voice acting; are there enough competent VAs in the states to fill out all those roles?
KiryuuKazumanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 12:53   Link #25
Mauru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiryuuKazumanosuke View Post
I hope this does well; Sakura Taisen V had really high production values and a good story. Provided they don't botch the localization ala Ar Tonelico 2, it should do really well.
My one concern is the voice acting; are there enough competent VAs in the states to fill out all those roles?
In other forums someone suggested a very interesting list:

Michelle Ruff or Wendee Lee for Gemini
Mary Elizabeth McGlynn for Sagiitta
Melissa Fahn for Rika
Kim Mai Guest for Diana
Brianne Siddall for Subaru
Jason Liebrecht or Johnny Yong Bosch for Taiga

I believe this voice actors will fit perfectly the roles....but is just a fancy of mine.
Voice acting, also is another one of my main concerns regarding the localization.
Old 2009-05-13, 13:24   Link #26
Marcus_rel
T-Dot Executive

It's about darn time. I've been waiting for a North American release for a long time. I remember making a bet with a friend of mine from back in the day that one day, eventually, we would get a Sakura game.

Damn Skippy.
Marcus_rel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 14:19   Link #27
Mauru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_rel View Post
It's about darn time. I've been waiting for a North American release for a long time. I remember making a bet with a friend of mine from back in the day that one day, eventually, we would get a Sakura game.

Damn Skippy.
I been waiting for so long myself. I just hope the games does well here.

If people want more dating sim, niche rpg to come to the US in the wii they should support Sakura Wars So Long My Love.
Old 2009-05-13, 20:16   Link #28
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
All I know is I will DEFINITELY get both versions of the games when they're released here. After how long I've waited for a Sakura Taisen game to come to the states the least I can do is give the game an extra shove of support by getting both the wii and PS2 versions.

But now that we got one coming to the states, it all comes down to one more important step: Selling well enough so we can see the other games as well.

(Yeah I know that's probably been mentioned a lot by now)
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 01:00   Link #29
KiryuuKazumanosuke

Well, I think any of them but 5 is out of the question. The others are kind of old.
Maybe the PSP version of one and two?
KiryuuKazumanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 01:11   Link #30
DingoEnderZOE2

Naturally releasing the PSP versions of 1 and 2 would be a great idea. A lot of people like to play retro style games on the PSP and DS so I can't see something as minor as the outdated graphics stopping others from enjoying the game.

Sakura Taisen Remake would work too but I'm just skeptical if they'd be willing to bring both the PSP version of Sakura Taisen 1 and the remake to the states. For some reason I'm thinking if we do get more Sakura Taisen games, when it comes down to which version of the original to bring to the U.S., they'd have to choose between Sakura Taisen Remake for PS2 or Sakura Taisen 1(& 2 included) for the PSP....Of course ideally it'd be nice to receive both versions in the U.S.....

Sakura Taisen 3 would do just fine here as well, the graphics aren't that much different than Sakura Taisen V after all so I don't see people having a problem with that aspect of the game if they enjoyed Sakura Taisen V. Plus Sakura Taisen 3 is the one where a whole bunch of Sakura Taisen fans hold very high esteem for.

Sakura Taisen 4 however......Ugh Seeing how it was the most lacking of the series due to the length,lack of content, and how plain rushed it felt, if this were to come to the states it might be best to leave this one for last after we've received the other games.

Now we're down to the extra games, Like Sakura Taisen Columns 1 and 2.....Those two would definitely do well especially with those who enjoy columns games.
Old 2009-05-14, 13:34   Link #31
Koopen

Many people keep saying "Oh how bad is NISA who is going to localize it"

I accept NISA has made horrible errors in some of their past games but they have released many games and not all of them had the errors that Air Tonelico II or other games had.

Stop generalizing people.
Koopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 19:56   Link #32
Mauru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopen View Post
Many people keep saying "Oh how bad is NISA who is going to localize it"

I accept NISA has made horrible errors in some of their past games but they have released many games and not all of them had the errors that Air Tonelico II or other games had.

Stop generalizing people.
It is common for people to notice and remember bad things about something and forget about the good of it, this is the case here.

I have hope that NIS will do a good localization.
Old 2009-05-14, 21:52   Link #33
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

^
That only applies if the cases are isolated incidents. But seriously... their last four non-disgaea games are less than perfect in terms of playability?

Let's see these last 4 games they released, all of which isn't really a high profile title (ie. NOT disgaea)

Mana Khemia PSP - apparently lag issues are abound
Ar Tonelico II - game crashing bug + some untranslated text
Rhapsody DS - glitches galore
Mana Khemia - game crashes during certain attacks

What's even worse is that AFAIK, all of these problems were NOT present in the original JP release.

I mean, who can't be worried when their track record of screwing up games has not only just been their most recent non-disgeaea games, but its FOUR IN A ROW that they screwed up their QC'ing? It's one thing if its an isolated incident, but Jesus, four consecutive games where the localization team has screwed up means their beta-testing seriously needs an overhaul. This is especially true when the reason why Ar Tonelico II (and I think Mana Khemia PSP as well) were delayed was because they wanted the extra time to iron out the bugs... and they still didn't catch them all.

And considering Sakura Taisen is NOT named Disgaea, it really has a big potential to be their next big screw up. Granted, they have quite a bit of time to clean up their act, but still...

Don't get me wrong, I still support NISAmerica, as I buy practically every RPG they release. But really, as a buying consumer, I really don't think my fears over Sakura Taisen's localization are unfounded. If anything, this should raise awareness of what NISA is doing wrong, which in turn should make them go the extra mile in preventing it from happening again. Of which, everybody wins.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 23:15   Link #34
Mauru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
^
That only applies if the cases are isolated incidents. But seriously... their last four non-disgaea games are less than perfect in terms of playability?

Let's see these last 4 games they released, all of which isn't really a high profile title (ie. NOT disgaea)

What's even worse is that AFAIK, all of these problems were NOT present in the original JP release.

I mean, who can't be worried when their track record of screwing up games has not only just been their most recent non-disgeaea games, but its FOUR IN A ROW that they screwed up their QC'ing? It's one thing if its an isolated incident, but Jesus, four consecutive games where the localization team has screwed up means their beta-testing seriously needs an overhaul. This is especially true when the reason why Ar Tonelico II (and I think Mana Khemia PSP as well) were delayed was because they wanted the extra time to iron out the bugs... and they still didn't catch them all.

And considering Sakura Taisen is NOT named Disgaea, it really has a big potential to be their next big screw up. Granted, they have quite a bit of time to clean up their act, but still...

Don't get me wrong, I still support NISAmerica, as I buy practically every RPG they release. But really, as a buying consumer, I really don't think my fears over Sakura Taisen's localization are unfounded. If anything, this should raise awareness of what NISA is doing wrong, which in turn should make them go the extra mile in preventing it from happening again. Of which, everybody wins.
Then you are saying that NISA has realesed more game with bugs/erros than games without them?
Old 2009-05-15, 20:54   Link #35
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

And that has got something to do with what I said how? >_>

Really, it can't be a coincidence that these four games were released during the economic recession. As such, one can argue effectively that NISA, not being a large company, had to cut corners to save some money. And logically speaking, where would NISA would cut corners first? As history has shown, if purse strings are tight, QC would be one of the first to fall. And it ain't going to be from their flagship series (aka. Disgaea), but it would start with the lower projects. Which these 4 games were.

I seriously hope it won't happen to Sakura Taisen, but hey, I'm not deluding myself into thinking that just because NISA's track record of non-disgaea games were perfect before would automatically mean that Sakura Taisen would be bug free.

Seriously, just because NISA (or any company for the matter) has released a thousand games that were bug free DOES NOT MEAN A THING when all the recent products are prone to crashes. Look at Netscape Navigator and its successor, Netscape Communicator, as an example. Navigator used to be the leading edge in browser software, but when Communicator came around, it was just a technical mess. I kept using it and using it, going through several versions of it, before I finally gave up because I finally had enough since the crashes/slowdown was never really dealt with. And look where Netscape is right now, or to be more precise, where it is NOT right now...

Not saying the same thing will happen with NISA, since they do have a great deal of time to clean up their act before they release Sakura Taisen V. But really now, how many times must I be burned by buggy games (on a console no less, of which are supposed to be bug free) before I learn my lesson? As a hardcore RPG collector, my patience does not easily wear thin, but I can't say the same about all the other people.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 00:34   Link #36
Mauru

Quote:
And that has got something to do with what I said how? >_>

Really, it can't be a coincidence that these four games were released during the economic recession. As such, one can argue effectively that NISA, not being a large company, had to cut corners to save some money. And logically speaking, where would NISA would cut corners first? As history has shown, if purse strings are tight, QC would be one of the first to fall. And it ain't going to be from their flagship series (aka. Disgaea), but it would start with the lower projects. Which these 4 games were.

I seriously hope it won't happen to Sakura Taisen, but hey, I'm not deluding myself into thinking that just because NISA's track record of non-disgaea games were perfect before would automatically mean that Sakura Taisen would be bug free.

Seriously, just because NISA (or any company for the matter) has released a thousand games that were bug free DOES NOT MEAN A THING when all the recent products are prone to crashes. Look at Netscape Navigator and its successor, Netscape Communicator, as an example. Navigator used to be the leading edge in browser software, but when Communicator came around, it was just a technical mess. I kept using it and using it, going through several versions of it, before I finally gave up because I finally had enough since the crashes/slowdown was never really dealt with. And look where Netscape is right now, or to be more precise, where it is NOT right now...

Not saying the same thing will happen with NISA, since they do have a great deal of time to clean up their act before they release Sakura Taisen V. But really now, how many times must I be burned by buggy games (on a console no less, of which are supposed to be bug free) before I learn my lesson? As a hardcore RPG collector, my patience does not easily wear thin, but I can't say the same about all the other people.
We will just have to wait and see...I am to tired to argue.
Old 2009-05-16, 01:33   Link #37
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
^

Let's just hope Sakura Taisen V won't share the same fate as their other popular titles. For some strange reason, NISA tend to have these glitches that games made by other makers don't have similar issues.

I do have Blade Dancer from NISA and it doesn't have any glitch issues or perhaps, the truth is that I never played past the prologue.. Ar Tonelico II had a serious glitch but the game did came with an artbook and a CD.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 04:25   Link #38
Iskatar
The Sanctuary Knocker

A ******* artbook, if I might add. For the first game there was a translated version of the world book, detailing the workings of Sol Ciel and other misc stuff. The translation, then, was much better and closer to the source.

Then comes along Ar Tonelico II. They probably didn't even read up on it and just translated based on speculation without referring to the ATII Player's Bible, resulting in the failed localization attempt we were fed. Even if they did do a proper QC, if they don't even get the world terminology right, what's the point of playing through the game if some pieces are obviously wrong? The "artbook" for AT1, received a better localization BECAUSE they bothered to read the bible for the first game. Since, you know, they translated parts of it if not the whole book?

They probably thought, 'Ooh, pretty costume pictures. Let's put it in the artbook instead of doing what we did last game.' Sure, that's closer to what an 'artbook' is, but...

And didn't they delay Ar Tonelico II for some months? They had plenty of time to fix it. But they didn't. Why? Because they're *********** that didn't do anything about it and just twiddled their thumbs That's poor management right there.

At their press event, the guy responsible FINALLY replied to the whole event after weeks of head turning, hoping for it to pass. But the guy still pissed a bunch of people off, since said event prompted people to look back on their previous releases and complain subtly, if not outright express their anger where everyone can see.

Anyway, about Sakura Taisen V... I'm not really expecting much out of NISA this time around, since my Faith level has been reduced to 0.
Iskatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 11:34   Link #39
Mauru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskatar View Post
A ******* artbook, if I might add. For the first game there was a translated version of the world book, detailing the workings of Sol Ciel and other misc stuff. The translation, then, was much better and closer to the source.

Then comes along Ar Tonelico II. They probably didn't even read up on it and just translated based on speculation without referring to the ATII Player's Bible, resulting in the failed localization attempt we were fed. Even if they did do a proper QC, if they don't even get the world terminology right, what's the point of playing through the game if some pieces are obviously wrong? The "artbook" for AT1, received a better localization BECAUSE they bothered to read the bible for the first game. Since, you know, they translated parts of it if not the whole book?

They probably thought, 'Ooh, pretty costume pictures. Let's put it in the artbook instead of doing what we did last game.' Sure, that's closer to what an 'artbook' is, but...

And didn't they delay Ar Tonelico II for some months? They had plenty of time to fix it. But they didn't. Why? Because they're *********** that didn't do anything about it and just twiddled their thumbs That's poor management right there.

At their press event, the guy responsible FINALLY replied to the whole event after weeks of head turning, hoping for it to pass. But the guy still pissed a bunch of people off, since said event prompted people to look back on their previous releases and complain subtly, if not outright express their anger where everyone can see.

Anyway, about Sakura Taisen V... I'm not really expecting much out of NISA this time around, since my Faith level has been reduced to 0.
Hey no, don't lose hope.....we still can't be 100% sure that Sakura Taisen V will have errors like some of the previous games from NISA had in the past. Honestly, all of this doesn't bother me much. All I care is that Sakura Taisen is getting localized that is enough for me. Just enjoy and wait, you think too much.

Last edited by Mauru; 2009-05-16 at 12:57.
Old 2009-05-16, 11:44   Link #40
DingoEnderZOE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauru View Post
Hey no, don't lose hope.....we still can be 100% sure that Sakura Taisen V will have errors like some of the previous games from NISA had in the past. Honestly, all of this doesn't bother me much. All I care is that Sakura Taisen is getting localized that is enough for me. Just enjoy and wait, you think too much.
I agree, let's all just be happy a Sakura Taisen game is localized, and just wait for it's release,support it and see what happens.

But at the same time expressing concern can be a good thing too because you never know who might be looking at these forums and who might use that concern as a means to make improvements. -Hint Hint-

I'm also happy about this games localization because now I can't feel bad about my lack of motivation to finish my translation guides for the game.

By the way I hope you meant "can't" when you said "we still can be 100% sure", cause even I don't want to see any glitches and the like in the game when it's released.