Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-04-17, 23:21   Link #1
Maveric
Aimai 3 cm

Send a message via AIM to Maveric
Nyoro~n subs please read

As I don't know how to contact this fansubbing group, I hope that this message somehow reaches them.

I love that you are subbing the new GAINAX anime Gurren Lagann, since very few groups are (which is surprising considering the production company if you ask me, but anyway). However I have to ask: am I doing something wrong when I try to watch your subs, or do you just not watch them for quality? Your subtitles are way to big for the screen, and overlap on themselves, making it impossible to read, and the latest episodes had something wrong with the video quality as well.

I realize that subbing an episode takes a lot of time and effort and skill that I just don't have, so I dont mind if I have to wait a few extra days for an episode if it means that I can watch a quality sub. However its just dissapointing if I wait for a few hours to watch an episode while its downloading only to have to delete the file because it is incomprehensible.

I am watching mkv files with VLC media player. If this is something wrong on my end, go ahead and tell me. I've gone in to my options menu to fiddle with settings to make the text smaller, but to no avail.
Old 2007-04-17, 23:27   Link #2
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

In my experience, VLC has really crappy softsub support. That may be the issue. Try watching it in another player (like MPC + CCCP for full playback support) and see if the problem still persists?

I haven't seen the series in question, though, so can't say for sure it isn't a problem on their end. VLC + sub issues is pretty suspicious to me, because VLC sucks.
Old 2007-04-17, 23:35   Link #3
Maveric
Aimai 3 cm

well I have MPC as well, but it tends to want to display in fullscreen mode rather than widescreen (not sure if I can change that), but I'll give it a shot.

I dunno, I've never had a problem with VLC before. Maybe I need an update to get better codecs?
Old 2007-04-17, 23:38   Link #4
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveric View Post
well I have MPC as well, but it tends to want to display in fullscreen mode rather than widescreen (not sure if I can change that), but I'll give it a shot.
That would be the aspect override having somehow been set to 4:3.

Open a video. Right click. Video Frame > Make sure "Keep Aspect Ratio" is ticked, and then go to Override Aspect Ratio > Select default.

That way video will always play in the correct aspect. ^^
Old 2007-04-18, 00:26   Link #5
ArchMageZeratuL
Aegisub dev
*IT Support

It is indeed VLC's fault. They are working together with equinox to integrate asa support into it (asa is one of the two cross-platform alternatives for vsfilter being developed; the other is mplayer's libass, by azzy), but, until then, don't use VLC to play anything softsubbed. There is nothing you can do to fix it.

Even after VLC does fix it, using CCCP with MPC or Zoom Player is still an overall better idea - at least for me, VLC has a horrible user interface, and it's known to have issues with certain H.264 files.
Old 2007-04-18, 00:30   Link #6
Lolfang
*Fansubber

Lolfang of Nyoro~n here.
Yes VLC is the source of your trouble. Our subs are best viewed after installing the combined community codec pack, in either Zoom Player or Media Player Classic. Many people who still use VLC have had this trouble, VLC has many internal flaws when it comes to subtitles, so please consider changing to a more anime friendly player, thank you for watching Nyoro~n Fansubs' releases.
Old 2007-04-18, 03:37   Link #7
mcpig

a friend of mine dloaded nyoro~n's ep3 of gurren lagann and i think he told me he has trouble finding the subs (he said it's basically raw =/) but i didnt ask him what player he was using. then he dloaded the "HQ" one from nyoro~n and he said he can see the subs fine...

personally i've only watched ep1 of the nyoro~n HQ subs and i loved the graphical quality (not commenting on the translation/subs... *sigh* cant ask too much) and since my screen is 1280x1024, if i dont make it to fullscreen, it JUST fits my screen's width, so i dun hv the "cant see parts of it" problem...
Old 2007-04-18, 05:56   Link #8
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Is there a question in that post or was it just commentary on your friend's inability to playback softsubs reliably? Yes, there really are subs on the LQ version also, so your friend has playback issues.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-04-18, 06:28   Link #9
mcpig

yes it's just a commentary and just to add in my friend's situation. so he has playback issues? ok i'll tell him (but then why did the HQ ones work? =/)

and also i was thinking maybe Maveric's "too big for the screen" issue has to do with his/her screen resolution, thus my 2nd comment. anyway.
Old 2007-04-18, 13:23   Link #10
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

just download and install

defiler pack then you can even play it in windows media player.
Old 2007-04-18, 14:11   Link #11
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxanimefan4_ever View Post
just download and install

defiler pack then you can even play it in windows media player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://hellninjacommando.com/defilerpak/
ffdshow ver. 12-08-2005
Haali's Media Splitter v2005-11-25
Enjoy your bugs and slow h.264.
Old 2007-04-18, 14:22   Link #12
Maveric
Aimai 3 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpig View Post
and also i was thinking maybe Maveric's "too big for the screen" issue has to do with his/her screen resolution, thus my 2nd comment. anyway.
I'm male.

And screen resolution has nothing to do with it. They are too big for the window when it is smaller too. Plus I ramped up my resolution to see if that was the problem, but to no avail.
And for some reason I can't seem to open anything in MPC anymore, it has an error and crashes, even with avi files, even after deleting and reinstalling it. I even downloaded that codec pack that xxanimefan4_ever talked about and no help.

I've been watching subs for years now so I've had to learn to use many different codecs and players and other stuff, but I dont think I've ever had this much trouble with a file.

thanks for all the help tho.
Old 2007-04-18, 14:50   Link #13
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveric View Post
I'm male.

And screen resolution has nothing to do with it. They are too big for the window when it is smaller too. Plus I ramped up my resolution to see if that was the problem, but to no avail.
And for some reason I can't seem to open anything in MPC anymore, it has an error and crashes, even with avi files, even after deleting and reinstalling it. I even downloaded that codec pack that xxanimefan4_ever talked about and no help.

I've been watching subs for years now so I've had to learn to use many different codecs and players and other stuff, but I dont think I've ever had this much trouble with a file.

thanks for all the help tho.
We haven't even started yet. If you want this handled properly get this tool, go tools -> test render, tools -> media info and tools -> CRC check on the problematic file, then file -> save log and copy/paste that final log here. Judging from your comments it sounds like you have a whole mess of codecs installed, which is a bad idea since they like to conflict a lot with each other. It should be cleaned out to only have CCCP components - if you don't mind CCCP that is. Once you have a clean system codec wise we can go from there, if the problem isn't solved by that already.
Old 2007-04-18, 14:53   Link #14
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

I use the CCCP with Core Media Player, ive been using them since they were released and ive never encountered any play back problems that couldnt be fixed with a click of a button. The only thing i would say is is buy CoreAVC for .264 play back. It's a lot better than ffdshow, sure its $10, but its $10 well spent.

Also, if you cant see the subs in a softsubbed release just right click and check that youhave the 'show subtitles' clicked. Same with missing audio
Old 2007-04-18, 19:19   Link #15
Maveric
Aimai 3 cm

Here goes nothing:

Spoiler for CCCP insurgent log:

And I think you're right about all the codecs I have. I couldn't tell you all the codecs I've downloaded over the years cuz I needed to. I did download the CCCP one tho, and it still wouldn't play. I even had my roommate try it on his computer and he was able to open it no problem. In VLC no less...

EDIT:

OK, that tool I downloaded told me the codec packs I had previously installed, so I uninstalled them. Now my avi files wont work in WMP, but thankfully they do in VLC (MPC crashes when it tries, which it seems to do with pretty much all file types lately for some reason). And the episode that started this whole schpiel still wont play. I'm downloading it again thinking that perhaps the file may be corrupted, though my roommate's success leads me to believe otherwise.

Oh, btw, I'm trying to make the LQ version play

[edit 2]

here's the error message I get when I try to play this file in MPC:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\Anime\[Nyoro~n Subs] Gurren Lagann 03.mkv::Video

Media Type 0:
--------------------------
Video: MPEG4 Video 704x400 23.98fps

AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
majortype: MEDIATYPE_Video {73646976-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
subtype: Unknown GUID Name {5634504D-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
formattype: FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO {E06D80E3-DB46-11CF-B4D1-00805F6CBBEA}
bFixedSizeSamples: 0
bTemporalCompression: 0
lSampleSize: 1
cbFormat: 306

I have episode 1 in mkv format from another group (ADTRW) and it plays no problem in VLC, but has something like skipping in MPC (green boxes appear from time to time) and no subtitles or the ability to turn them on.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-04-18 at 21:35.
Old 2007-04-19, 03:05   Link #16
emptyeighty

Your system is pretty clean codec wise for what i expected, but still some cleanup is required.

First unregister these filters by going tools -> advanced in Insurgent, selecting them on the right and clicking unregister filter:
Code:
46> Fraunhofer Video Decoder
Filename: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DVDVideo.ax
CLSID: {9BC1B781-85E3-11D2-98D0-0080C84E9C39}
Date: 2001-11-24 | 14:28:14

62> Ligos MPEG Video Decoder
Filename: C:\WINDOWS\System32\mpeg2Decoder.ax
CLSID: {CB51EFC2-40D6-11D3-B265-00A0C9A3A56F}
Date: 2000-06-30 | 12:40:32

121> Voxware MetaSound Audio Decoder
Filename: C:\WINDOWS\System32\voxmsdec.ax
CLSID: {73F7A062-8829-11D1-B550-006097242D8D}
Date: 2000-03-16 | 00:56:32

Only unregister this one if you _don't_ have RealPlayer installed.
97> RealPlayer Audio Filter
Filename: C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\rdsf3260.dll
CLSID: {CEF4D40F-ACA5-40BA-8F3B-161A594A1A39}
Date: 2005-05-17 | 20:03:38

Only unregister this one if you _don't_ have Intervideo installed.
61> InterVideo Video Decoder
Filename: C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\ivivideo.ax
CLSID: {0246CA20-776D-11D2-8010-00104B9B8592}
Date: 2001-01-02 | 15:24:46
Do you have Nero installed on your system?
Also any idea what this Vodei might be?
Code:
117> Vodei MP
Filename: C:\Program Files\Vodei\VodeiMPAVI.ax
After you've done that run Filmerit as per wiki instructions to remove the loads of dead filters in that log.

Then reinstall CCCP and make another log. For some reason ffdshow.ax wasn't registered to your system properly, which will hopefully be fixed by a reinstall. Then play your files in Media Player Classic and Zoom Player from Start -> Programs -> CCCP. This is somewhat important. Report back if it works with another log.
Old 2007-04-19, 05:44   Link #17
tritoch

Vodei's a video codec- Some people encode stuff with it.
Old 2007-04-19, 06:06   Link #18
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritoch View Post
Vodei's a video codec- Some people encode stuff with it.
In that case, Maveric, if you don't use it uninstall from Add/Remove Programs or if that's not possible unregister the filter in Insurgent.
Old 2007-04-19, 11:33   Link #19
Maveric
Aimai 3 cm

FINALLY I get results. I did everything you said and it finally worked. Here's my new log:
Spoiler:

Thanks to everyone who helped me figure this mess out.

Also, I appologize to the good people at Nyoro~n if my original message came across as offensive. I'd never had problems with mkv before so I thought it was a problem on your end. I hope I didn't offend anyone with my accusation.
Old 2007-04-19, 15:38   Link #20
Lolfang
*Fansubber

Not a problem my good man, I'm just glad it worked for you. I hope you stick with us for future releases.