AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > KanColle

Notices

Old 2017-08-27, 16:32   Link #161
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

JP BD/DVD with english subtitles are extremely rare when it comes to anime. It should be indicated on the official movie website, but I'm pretty sure there isn't any english subs for that release.

Not like it is required for Kancolle anyway.
Old 2017-08-27, 16:39   Link #162
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Is it known whether there are english subtitles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
JP BD/DVD with english subtitles are extremely rare when it comes to anime. It should be indicated on the official movie website, but I'm pretty sure there isn't any english subs for that release.

Not like it is required for Kancolle anyway.
On the (Japanese) Amazon's description the availability of English (and other language) subtitles was outright stated. This is not the case for Kancolle, thus I assume that it will be a standard release with no English subs.
Old 2017-08-27, 16:43   Link #163
Sakuratsuki

Diomedea doesn't have any history of releasing it's content with English subs so that won't happen with Kancolle either. Indeed, releases with English subs are extremely rare so far I have only seen Sunrise doing it a lot.
Old 2017-08-27, 18:19   Link #164
AC-Phoenix
Detective

At least another year then, I guess :/

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura_Tsuki View Post
The series of Kancolle was licensed by Funimation so probably we will get an international release of the movie too but as now haven't seen any news about that yet.
Looking at what is apparently the Danganronpa 3 dub, I'm not sure if I actually want to watch something coming from funimation

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2017-08-27 at 18:59.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-30, 01:25   Link #165
Kakurin
大佐

Images
Various GIFs
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Kakurin; 2017-08-30 at 06:49.
Kakurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-01, 07:31   Link #166
Kakurin
大佐

Well, my copy arrived today. That's how the Limited Edition looks like:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2017-09-01, 08:42   Link #167
arkhangelsk

I just managed to watch it.

Spoiler:
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-01, 10:37   Link #168
JokerD

Any idea what was added in the blu ray?
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-01, 10:51   Link #169
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Any idea what was added in the blu ray?
For the 17 version of the Limited Edition? Around 3 minutes of additional cuts. No voiced scenes, but here and there a couple of scenes, especially in the combat parts of the second half, to flesh them out a bit and give a bit more context. Haven't managed to identify them all though.

Spoiler for Examples:
Old 2017-09-01, 11:07   Link #170
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Well, time to grind that Kisaragi again.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-01, 20:57   Link #171
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

So I took time watching the movie twice, and I can say it is definitely a good anime rendition of the franchise. Not perfect, mind you, but that definitely addressed a lot of issues from the original series.

The most important changes that helped a lot the movie were clearly the direction and pacing.
The movie doesn't feel like a drag and actually use proper transitions between scenes and actual plot parts here. The fact they mainly focused on a more serious tone also nullified the very odd dissonance of mood back in the initial series.

OTOH, it still had some issues: There were a lot of girls this time around, but a lot of them didn't have any dialogues. it is kind of understandable considering it would clutter the movie pacing too much, but some characters like Furutaka had more presence than others like Tone/Chikuma, yet had nearly no dialogues whatsoever.

Also, It is a pity they didn't have 15-30 extra minutes to explore a bit more about the all out fights left and right.
For instance, it is kind of sad they hinted a huge carriers confrontation against a Kuubo Seiki, yet they didn't show anything at all. Same could be said for Nagato's fleet that was supposed to act as their last rampart.

Thankfully the fights in general were fine, with very rare moments in 3DCGI (or at least, most of them weren't that obvious), although a bit too short. For instance, I think it would have been more interesting for the second fleet to reach the center of Iron Bottom Sound together instead of splitting twice.

As for the conclusion of the movie... I'm a bit conflicted about it.
They did a good job for the majority of the movie not to shove Fubuki too much on the spotlight while having a proper balance in term of character distribution, but it is specifically because of such presentation that having Fubuki saving the day as "the symbol of hope" is kind of pushing it a bit too much... at the same time, it does explain why she was so important but also kind of an enigma back in season 1 (no combat experience, yet was transferred in that naval base and being put on the frontline by the admiral).

Speaking of fixing S1 issue, having a confirmation regarding the Kanmusu/Abyssal relationship sure helps and make sense with the franchise as a whole, more particularly with the game (which was already hinted in the game with princesses transitioning into their kanmusu self). This is the very reason why I wasn't surprised they had someone sunk in the first season and teased something about it.
That being said, the movie really came way too late as it works mainly as a sequel, so having to wait for 2 years really didn't do any favor to the first season whatsoever. It could really have been better if the plot part of the movie was a second cour, but it would have been awkward for the pacing and presentation.

To be honest, I wish the movie had Kisaragi as the real boss, but already transformed in her abyssal version. From there, they could have several skirmish against her and during the climax, they would have realized the whole truth and have a more reasonable message about the girls' raison d'être instead of having only 1 girl being the savior.

Anyways, I hope the second season will follow the movie's lead, assuming it wasn't cancelled.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2017-09-01 at 21:07.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-02, 09:49   Link #172
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
So I took time watching the movie twice, and I can say it is definitely a good anime rendition of the franchise. Not perfect, mind you, but that definitely addressed a lot of issues from the original series.

The most important changes that helped a lot the movie were clearly the direction and pacing.
The movie doesn't feel like a drag and actually use proper transitions between scenes and actual plot parts here. The fact they mainly focused on a more serious tone also nullified the very odd dissonance of mood back in the initial series.

OTOH, it still had some issues: There were a lot of girls this time around, but a lot of them didn't have any dialogues. it is kind of understandable considering it would clutter the movie pacing too much, but some characters like Furutaka had more presence than others like Tone/Chikuma, yet had nearly no dialogues whatsoever.

Also, It is a pity they didn't have 15-30 extra minutes to explore a bit more about the all out fights left and right.
For instance, it is kind of sad they hinted a huge carriers confrontation against a Kuubo Seiki, yet they didn't show anything at all. Same could be said for Nagato's fleet that was supposed to act as their last rampart.

Thankfully the fights in general were fine, with very rare moments in 3DCGI (or at least, most of them weren't that obvious), although a bit too short. For instance, I think it would have been more interesting for the second fleet to reach the center of Iron Bottom Sound together instead of splitting twice.

They did a good job for the majority of the movie not to shove Fubuki too much on the spotlight while having a proper balance in term of character distribution, but it is specifically because of such presentation that having Fubuki saving the day as "the symbol of hope" is kind of pushing it a bit too much... at the same time, it does explain why she was so important but also kind of an enigma back in season 1 (no combat experience, yet was transferred in that naval base and being put on the frontline by the admiral).

Speaking of fixing S1 issue, having a confirmation regarding the Kanmusu/Abyssal relationship sure helps and make sense with the franchise as a whole, more particularly with the game (which was already hinted in the game with princesses transitioning into their kanmusu self). This is the very reason why I wasn't surprised they had someone sunk in the first season and teased something about it.
That being said, the movie really came way too late as it works mainly as a sequel, so having to wait for 2 years really didn't do any favor to the first season whatsoever. It could really have been better if the plot part of the movie was a second cour, but it would have been awkward for the pacing and presentation.

To be honest, I wish the movie had Kisaragi as the real boss, but already transformed in her abyssal version. From there, they could have several skirmish against her and during the climax, they would have realized the whole truth and have a more reasonable message about the girls' raison d'être instead of having only 1 girl being the savior.

Anyways, I hope the second season will follow the movie's lead, assuming it wasn't cancelled.
I also agree on that. and that Mutsuki has to be the one that mercy kills Kisaragi. Because the majority of the movie has her denying the fact that Kisaragi has "fallen"

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-02, 10:57   Link #173
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
I agree that the movie would've benefitted from another additional 15 minutes or so. Seeing where and what they added in most of the new cuts for the 17 version I tend to think that they would've preferred a bit more time to show more of the other battles themselves. On the other hand, with the running time of the movie being at it is I'm glad that they didn't fall for the temptation of trying to show everything for it would've been way too chaotic with the limited time. As it stands they focused the attention on the surface engagement of the IBS strike force with the KB part shown being the "necessary" part for the success of the surface operation.

Quote:
I think because they kept Fubuki a bit aside in the combat parts the scene on the bottom of the IBS works for me because it didn't strike me really as her saving the day. It's already been well-established that she, for some reason, is special (and not just because she's the first tokugata DD) and this sort of closes the circle, so I wasn't particularly bothered by her being an existence that was saved by the combined emotions and hopes of the ones sunk in the IBS.

Quote:
I actually prefer the choice the staff made regarding Kisaragi as turning into an Abyssal compared to already being an Abyssal boss that is to be fought as enemy. It reduces the emotional distance by having the issue at the forefront and opens up more angles, which in my opinion are a bit limited in a Kisaragi-as-established-boss scenario. I also think it was a pretty intelligent move slotting in Kaga as a former sunk kanmusu / Abyssal carrier, expanding a bit on her background.

What I have mixed feelings about is Kisaragi's participation in the final battle. It's a bit too... generic? A scenario with a rogue Kisaragi, wanting to help out, but struggling to maintain control over herself, would've been more interesting. But such a scenario may have diverted the focus too much.
Old 2017-09-02, 11:25   Link #174
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The movie addresses the plot point why Fubuki is special ever since the first season, but I'm still not exactly convinced how they played out that part because "Abyssal Fubuki" was practically a sitting duck outside of spreading that corrosive element in the sea.
While it works in term of "message", the way how it was concluded felt a bit too close on the cheesy pep talk that converts the big bad in the very end. This is why it really feels like Fubuki is saving the day because there wouldn't be anyone else who could have stopped IBS phenomenom on the long run.

It depends how they will handle Fubuki later on, but I honestly hope her "special" trait was mostly for that sector alone, otherwise the whole corrosion stuff would be too much of a convenient plot device for Fubuki if she happens to be able to ignore the "red sea" in other areas.

That's why I think using Kisaragi as the final boss right from the start would have brought more emotional weight since it would affect Fubuki, but also Mitsuki, Yuudachi and the rest to a certain extent.
At the very least, fighting an identified formed camarade would strengthen their raison d'etre and reinforce their solution to save everyone at the end of the day by preventing anyone from sinking.

This could also have an interesting correlation with event bosses being the direct cause of the corrosion and having cleansed the Kanmusu would lead to a complete stop to that phenomenom in the affected area.
Old 2017-09-02, 12:04   Link #175
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
The movie addresses the plot point why Fubuki is special ever since the first season, but I'm still not exactly convinced how they played out that part because "Abyssal Fubuki" was practically a sitting duck outside of spreading that corrosive element in the sea.
While it works in term of "message", the way how it was concluded felt a bit too close on the cheesy pep talk that converts the big bad in the very end. This is why it really feels like Fubuki is saving the day because there wouldn't be anyone else who could have stopped IBS phenomenom on the long run.
The one thing that bothers me a bit about how the whole thing was resolved is the portrayal that this Abyssal Fubuki was somehow located in some vortex/black hole, which opens up the question if anyone else than Fubuki could've reached the place where she was. I think some more "normal" form of sea / mist etc. would've done it too. In addition, they should've made more use of the fact that both used to be part of the original Fubuki that got separated after she sank at IBS.

Quote:
It depends how they will handle Fubuki later on, but I honestly hope her "special" trait was mostly for that sector alone, otherwise the whole corrosion stuff would be too much of a convenient plot device for Fubuki if she happens to be able to ignore the "red sea" in other areas.
I'm actually hoping that if there will be a second anime season that we'll get a new main character. Think they found a solid conclusion for the Fubuki "arc" and should move on. But yeah, if Fubuki would now be able to travel other corrupted areas without damage it would be senseless since in this specific case it was directly tied to her from the beginning to the end.

Quote:
That's why I think using Kisaragi as the final boss right from the start would have brought more emotional weight since it would affect Fubuki, but also Mitsuki, Yuudachi and the rest to a certain extent.
At the very least, fighting an identified formed camarade would strengthen their raison d'etre and reinforce their solution to save everyone at the end of the day by preventing anyone from sinking.
Well yeah, but the thing is, how they are going to reach her, then followed by a gradual realization, then followed by more combat to end/save her, a good amount of development would be needed. Sounds more like something for a longer running TV anime than a time-limited movie edition. Especially with the realization part, considering they can't just make Abyssal Kisaragi openly talk about it, like they did with Abyssal Fubuki.

Quote:
This could also have an interesting correlation with event bosses being the direct cause of the corrosion and having cleansed the Kanmusu would lead to a complete stop to that phenomenom in the affected area.
This was actually what I was thinking about considering how after you clear an event map in the game the red colour dissipates and the map returns to normal colour.
Old 2017-09-02, 15:47   Link #176
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I guess I was a bit biased due to the usual fan fictions etc, but depictions seen in works like Kiga-A looks plausible if you spread that plot part on several skirmishes.

For instance, if Abyssal Kisaragi wouldn't remember anything and went berserk like how it was for Kaga, I would expect Mutsuki and the others to notice that over time (for instance, using some gear/clothes remnants noticeable only in the middle of the movie, with the early part not visible due to night battle setup). Later on, more interactions could potentially lead to "static noise" flashbacks to Kisaragi, giving an opportunity to knock some sense before sinking her? Sounds too generic/classic but it is still reasonable, unlike Kisaragi saving the day and being cleansed offscreen...

But yeah, at this point, they should move out with another base or leading character. Someone like Akizuki, Samidare or Yukikaze.
And speaking of Yukikaze, I'm a bit baffled they picked Tokitsukaze, especially they could have Yukikaze taking part of the nightmare of Solomon sequence or even have some spotlight as a duo with Yamato.
Old 2017-09-02, 16:23   Link #177
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
I guess I was a bit biased due to the usual fan fictions etc, but depictions seen in works like Kiga-A looks plausible if you spread that plot part on several skirmishes.

For instance, if Abyssal Kisaragi wouldn't remember anything and went berserk like how it was for Kaga, I would expect Mutsuki and the others to notice that over time (for instance, using some gear/clothes remnants noticeable only in the middle of the movie, with the early part not visible due to night battle setup). Later on, more interactions could potentially lead to "static noise" flashbacks to Kisaragi, giving an opportunity to knock some sense before sinking her? Sounds too generic/classic but it is still reasonable, unlike Kisaragi saving the day and being cleansed offscreen...
It is not impossible to do, but it'd require a careful handling to have a plausible depiction, though it partly will also depend in which main direction they'd want to take the Abyssal-Kanmusu cycle. Seems to me like they decided to go the route where a sunk-kanmusu-turned-abyssal will act purely by the instinct of wanting to "return", which would make interactions rather tough. It is one part of the reason why I thought the inclusion of Kisaragi as saving the day for Mutsuki and then fighting alongside her was too simplistic and rough. Especially since they specifically mentioned and showed her to lose her consciousness and act out of control in the early part of the movie. As I mentioned before, it would have been a more interesting angle in my opinion to have her save Mutsuki, but really struggle maintaining control, sort-of acting as a rogue third party whose sanity is only maintained by the thread of her connection to Mutsuki. Though the danger would be that it could possible divert away too much of the focus. Speaking of focus, if they wanted to wrap-up a "Fubuki-arc" it would have been a bit tough to mesh with a Kisaragi-as-boss enemy scenario where battling/defeating her leads to the Kanmusu-Abyssal cycle realization due to the development requirements.

Quote:
But yeah, at this point, they should move out with another base or leading character. Someone like Akizuki, Samidare or Yukikaze.
And speaking of Yukikaze, I'm a bit baffled they picked Tokitsukaze, especially they could have Yukikaze taking part of the nightmare of Solomon sequence or even have some spotlight as a duo with Yamato.
I guess the decision came about as a mixture between a historical-ish fleet and wanting to include Amatsukaze. Tokitsuzake and Amatsukaze formed DesDiv16 and acted as screens for Ryūjō at Eastern Solomons and the new CarDiv1 at Santa Cruz.
Old 2017-09-04, 19:08   Link #178
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

IT's been a while since I've watched the first season. Have there been some ships that got the Kai Ni treatment in this movie that didn't happen in the show? I don't remember Sendai and co. looking like that in S1.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-04, 19:17   Link #179
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I think they have: Fubuki's rocking her Kai Ni upgrades now. I found it a modestly enjoyable movie overall, even if the narrative isn't the most solid.
Old 2017-09-04, 19:52   Link #180
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Fubuki had her kai ni in the first season, but the design wasn't accurate enough, probably because her anime design was completed before the game design was introduced.

We got kai ni for the following ships:
Spoiler for kai ni debut in the movie: